Soul Chamber

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all,

This is my first entry into the YMTC forums, I welcome criticism.

------

Soul Chamber |
Artifact
Whenever you gain life, you may add X charge counters to Soul Chamber, X is the amount of life that would be gained. If you do, you do not gain any life.

When Soul Chamber enters the graveyard from the battlefield Soul Chamber deals damage equal to the number of charge counters on Soul Chamber to target creature or player.

, sacrifice Soul Chamber

"The soul is not simply something that can restore, when harnessed it can be used to destroy."

------
Soul Chamber --
Artifact (U)
Whenever you would gain any amount life, you may put that many charge counters on Soul Chamber instead.
, sacrifice Soul Chamber: Soul Chamber deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of charge counters on Soul Chamber.

This seems better worded and slightly more balanced. You can take it or leave it. This sounds fairly similiar to Shrine of Burning Rage. For reference.
Good job for a first YMTC.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Soul Chamber --
Artifact (U)
Whenever you would gain any amount life, you may put that many charge counters on Soul Chamber instead.
, sacrifice Soul Chamber: Soul Chamber deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the number of charge counters on Soul Chamber.

This seems better worded and slightly more balanced. You can take it or leave it. This sounds fairly similiar to Shrine of Burning Rage. For reference.
Good job for a first YMTC.

I disagree on the problem with it being balanced.

The main difference between this and the Shrine of Burning Rage is that the person is giving up the life that they would have gained in order to place counters on the chamber. The version you posted make it extremely expensive to pop in response (4 is quite a lot) and it would simply be used for people to wait as their opponent sacrifices life gain to the artifact then blow the artifact apart creating a massive net loss on the Chambers user and it would never see any play outside of possibly draft.

How it is constructed at present is pretty straight forward. Cast it, once it is in play stopping it is hard. You *can* stop it by exiling it if the other player can't explode it, but it urges the other player to stop the life gain rather than simply and easily pop the artifact. The reason why it is okay with the shrine of burning rage is because the shrine doesn't effectively counter your own spells when it adds counters.
I still stand by my decision.
Shrine of Burning Rage gets counters every upkeep, or every time you cast a red spell.
Yours gets counters for every life that would have been gained.

If you build a deck around it, you could easily get at least 20 counters a turn continuously, probably more.
If you built a deck around Shrine of Burning Rage, you could easily get 4 or 5 counters a turn, continuously.

If you want to keep it set at 2 mana, to blow, I'd suggest whenever you would gain life, put a counter on it instead. But not the counter for every life you would have gained.

Do you understand where I'm coming from?
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Holy crap, I agree with altimis. Not hard to pull off:
T1: Land, Soul Warden
T2: Land, This, Swing, 19 life
T3: Land, Lone Missionary, Healing Salve, +8 counters, swing, 18 life
T4: Land, Lone Missionary, +5 counters, swing, 15 life, sacrifice, 13 damage, bringing them to two.

This is on T4, in white. Not balanced.

Still, welcome to YMTC, and the concept is good, just needs some execution help.

Decks
Standard: Mage-Blade EDH: Rafiq of the Many
Not horribly imbalanced like the above poster says, but not too weak. I like it.
T4: Land, Lone Missionary, +5 counters, swing, 15 life, sacrifice, 13 damage, bringing them to two.

Still, welcome to YMTC, and the concept is good, just needs some execution help.

So, it requires the use of multiple cards and this assumes they have no blockers or creature destruction... And it can't kill by turn 4?

Exarch Twin - Kills on turn 4.
My Myr Deck - Which runs a Galvanizer - Twin Kills on turn 4-5.
Valakut - Kills on turn 4-5.
Glistener Elf / Buff Deck - Can kill on turn 2.
My current rogue deck which runs no mythic rares or stoneforge mystics can kill on turn 4.

Killing on Turn 4 using mostly Type 2 cards and assuming no meddling by the opponent?

Not unbalanced.

If your deck can't kill by turn 4-5, assuming a perfect hand, then honestly you are doing it wrong.

Edit: To show another example:

T1, Land, Raging Goblin - Swing 19 life
T2, Land, Signal Pest, Lightning Bolt - Swing 15 life
T3, Land, Dragon Fodder - Swing 12 life
T4, Land, Claws of Valakut on Raging Goblin - Swing -Opponent Dead-

If your deck can't kill by turn 4-5, assuming a perfect hand, then honestly you are doing it wrong.

thats only if your aim is to win O.o

but in certain decks this can be a beast of a card. Metalworker deck would get an infinite combo off in two turns. is this card the ENTIRE reason for this deck being overpowered???? nah not really. although in my opinion it is a tad over powered for its CMC.

thats only if your aim is to win O.o

but in certain decks this can be a beast of a card. Metalworker deck would get an infinite combo off in two turns. is this card the ENTIRE reason for this deck being overpowered???? nah not really. although in my opinion it is a tad over powered for its CMC.

I'm not seeing the overpowered argument. Yes, the card is good, but it isn't any more powerful than many other cards out there. If it allowed you to kill someone in one turn with it I could see it, but the cost and the cost to use it as well as the cost to charge it up are all pretty massive. I could see it being problematic in maybe a white/blue life gain/proliforate deck but to be honest so can a number of other cards.

So, it requires the use of multiple cards and this assumes they have no blockers or creature destruction... And it can't kill by turn 4?

My current rogue deck which runs no mythic rares or stoneforge mystics can kill on turn 4.

Killing on Turn 4 using mostly Type 2 cards and assuming no meddling by the opponent?

Not unbalanced.

I'm not comparing it to opponent win time, it's giving white direct damage, something very rare. It's doable, but I wouldn't make it as cheap as it is.

Decks
Standard: Mage-Blade EDH: Rafiq of the Many

Not unbalanced.

I'm not comparing it to opponent win time, it's giving white direct damage, something very rare. It's doable, but I wouldn't make it as cheap as it is.

Any more expensive and it would never see play, nor would it be useful because in order to use it you have to forgo gaining life. If the cost was raised (to say 4) then it would have to also remove the part about not gaining the life.
You are drastically overestimating how much people care about gaining life.
You are drastically overestimating how much people care about gaining life.

but but i care....

but ya gotta agree with you. not alot of decks out there that run life gain unless their running avatar of johnny and even then its really not much into life gain.

It's like a Sanguine Bond that doesn't let you win life but counts the life won in turns 3, 4 and 5 and must pay to activate it. Doesn't seem  unbalanced.

And if they destroy the artifact when you can't activate it, you didn't win life, didn't make any impact on the oponent and probably played underpowered creatures that gain life to activate it.
Altimis's wording is wrong – the first ability should be a replacement effect: "If you would gain life, you may put that many charge counters on Soul Chamber instead."

I say this is balanced. If you build a deck around it, your lifegain will be dead most of the time and the damage can be played around.

My main beef with this is that it has terrible flavor. "I'm locking my life essence in a chamber so I can throw it at you." What's up with that?

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Sign In to post comments