The Brain: Public Voting Round.

297 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello and welcome to the final rounds of The Brain!
If you are lucky enough to be one of the twelve contestants to make it this far, congratulations!
If you are not, you still have an influence in the fate of the following twelve contestants:

From BelangiaJo:

1. Rush_Clasic

2. JohnnyValdez

3. stinkyjoeterry

From Mono789:

1. theatog

2. DrJWilson

3. squinty_eyes

From Elevate:

1. AnubisDread

2. Cgalcic

3. Silly_Dragons

From Imidazoline:

1. 13th_Horseman

2. SilentTwin

3. Outside_the_Asylum

Now, there are twelve remaining designers, three from each of the four judges. This will consist of eleven small rounds, each ending in one elimination. Eliminations will be ranked (from 1 to 12, then 1 to 11, etc.) and determined using the following weighted scale:

• Judge 1: 20%

• Judge 2: 20%

• Judge 3: 20%

• Owner: 15%

• Public: 25%

Each judge will use the ranking system above and supply a few comments. The Owner is the judge who originally chose the designer he is grading. The public will use the same ranking system and the overall average will be calculated and used.

For Reference:
The Blind Auditions.
BelangiaJo's Battle Round.
Elevate's Battle Round.
Mono789's Battle Round.
Imidazoline's Battle Round.

Final Places:
6. SilentTwin (cumulative average: 6.17)
7. Rush_Clasic (cumulative average: 4.4)
8. Cgalcic (cumulative average: 5.6)
9. stinkyjoeterry (cumulative average: 7.75)
10. Outside_the_Asylum (cumulative average: 10.33)
11. squinty_eyes (cumulative average: 8)
12. AnubisDread (cumulative average: 12)
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
CRITERION:
I have been relatively nostalgic lately, so let's revisit Ravnica again.
Choose one of the following guild combinations:

• Gruul and Izzet

• Golgari and Orzhov

• Azorius and Boros

• Selesyna and Simic

• Rakdos and Dimir

Using the color that the two guilds in the combination share, make a card that fits the ideologies of both guilds. (You must use the color the guilds share. You may also use any combination of the other two colors of the guilds, but do not use colors not represented in the chosen combination.)
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
This round will end on Monday around 6:00 PM EST.

Selesnya /Simic

Will of Vitu-Ghazi
Sorcery
Choose one - Put three 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield; or distribute three +1/+1 counters among one, two, or three target creatures.
The City-Tree has its own methods of defending itself.

Notes
Yeah, so I went for a top-down design here. It's the Selesnya's token generation along with the Simic's +1/+1 counter(Graft) theme. It's a great modular card as you can either throw down some chump blockers or buff your existing creatures. It's sort of a Scatter the Seeds and Bounty of the Hunt. I had a hard time costing this card. It's technically better than Scatter the Seeds (unless you Convoke as you should) and probably worse than Bounty of the Hunt (because the alternate casting cost is awesome).

~Wonko the Sane~
Mana Symbol Order
One color - list that color: (ubrg), (w) (brg), (wu) (rg), (wub) (g), or (wubr) Two "ally" (i.e. adjacent) colors - start in the empty space, then move clockwise: (brg) , (rgw) , (gwu) , (wub) , or (ubr) Two "enemy" (i.e. not adjacent) colors - start in the larger of the two empty spaces, then move clockwise: (rg) (u) , (gw) (b) , (wu) (r) , (ub) (g) , or (br) (w) Three "ally" colors (Alara shards) - start in the empty space, the move clockwise: (rg) , (gw) , (wu) , (ub) , or (br) Three "wedge" colors (two adjacent and one away from the other two) - start with the "enemy" color, then move clockwise: (u) (g), (b) (w), (r) (u), (g) (b), or (w) (r) Four colors - start in the empty space, then move clockwise: (g) , (w) , (u) , (b) , or (r) Five colors - start with white, then move clockwise:

• Gruul and Izzet (Red)

• Golgari and Orzhov (Black)

• Azorius and Boros (White)

• Selesyna and Simic (Green)

• Rakdos and Dimir (Black)

Erm, no blue?
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me

• Gruul and Izzet (Red)

• Golgari and Orzhov (Black)

• Azorius and Boros (White)

• Selesyna and Simic (Green)

• Rakdos and Dimir (Black)

Erm, no blue?

No one loves blue.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
Using the color that the two guilds in the combination share, make a card that fits the ideologies of both guilds. (You may also use any combination of the other three colors of the guilds, but do not use colors not represented in the chosen combination.)

I think i'm brain dead at the moment. But wwwhaa.,....t?

what color can we actually use? do you want the card to be multicolored?
I'm assuming, for example
Gruul + Izzet = any combination of :U::R::G:? (mono any of those colors, or multi any of those colors) just no black and white?

Is "three" a mistype? or "other" is the mistype? if the guilds share red, there are only Two Other colors... what am i missing here.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I'm guessing he meant other two, for a total of 3. (But I'd reccomend double checking first)
Getting this out of the way so I don't forget about it.

Azorius/Boros
Some background stuff from MaRo's articles.
Boros
So how does the force working towards order commingle with the force working towards chaos? The answer is to let each part have its role in how the guild functions. One half picks the goal while the other half chooses the tools to accomplish the task. This leads to two possibilities. A group with a moral center using whatever it feels is necessary to get the job done (this is the Boros for those that care).

And third, both colors have a very aggressive “attack first, ask question later” streak that seeps out into deck archetypes (white weenie and sligh).

Red/white's greatest strength is its focus. When it decides to do something there is no hesitancy. It acts forcefully and brutally. It does what's needed to get the job done. Whatever it takes.

Azorius
Philosophically, the largest overlap between the two colors stems from a similar motivation. Both colors want to improve the world. White does this in its quest to promote peace, while Blue does it out of its interest in reaching perfection. The end result is the same. Both colors like to force its rules and ways upon all those around them.

Here's how it works. White/Blue wants order. It chooses to make laws, but it doesn't make straight-forward laws. It makes laws so convoluted that no one but itself can understand them. Its form of control is through restricted knowledge.

So basically, I came up with the idea of a vigilante type character. It's similar to the Boros idealology because it uses whatever means necessary to bring evil doers to justice, and because it's aggressive (its first ability triggers off of attacking). And it's similar to the Azorius because it is making the rules.

Mechanically, tapping creatures and locking them down is an Azorius aspect, since they're all about controlling things. Being forced to swing to do that is a Boros touch.

And the vengeance-esque second ability is perfect for the Boros, who are very aggressive at punishing wrongdoers. It also synergizes quite well with the tapping ability.

Lin Val, High Magistrate
Legendary Creature - Human Advisor
Whenever ~ attacks, you may tap target creature. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
: Destroy target tapped creature.
"I am your judge, jury, and executioner."
3/3

Also, I feel that mono-white is an adequate color for this card. White has gotten the "sleep" ability in the past (examples include: Entangling Trap, Kor Hookmaster, and Samite Alchemist). And white has been able to kill tapped creatures (examples include: Gideon Jura, Steam Catapult, and Vengeance).
Kavu_Overlord, haven't you heard? Black is the new blue.

theatog, you must include the shared color in the design. You can include the other two colors that are also a part of the combination. You cannot, however, include colors that aren't part of the combination. I will restate it clearer in the criterion.

Here is an example to follow:
(Using a combination that is not an option, you avoid limiting you guys of your options.
Surprise, Kavu_Overlord, it is blue. Ha.)

Combination: Simic & Izzet.
Color Possibilities: My design could be , , , or .
It cannot be because blue has to be included.

Stingwanderer -
Creature - Weird Wizard
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may remove all +1/+1 counters from Stingwanderer. If you do, you may copy that spell for each +1/+1 counter removed this way and Stingwanderer deals damage to itself equal to the number of +1/+1 counters removed this way.
2/2
Kavu_Overlord, haven't you heard? Black is the new blue.

theatog, you must include the shared color in the design. You can include the other two colors that are also a part of the combination. You cannot, however, include colors that aren't part of the combination. I will restate it clearer in the criterion.

Here is an example to follow:
(Using a combination that is not an option, you avoid limiting you guys of your options.
Surprise, Kavu_Overlord, it is blue. Ha.)

Combination: Simic & Izzet.
Color Possibilities: My design could be , , , or .
It cannot be because blue has to be included.

Stingwanderer -
Creature - Weird Wizard
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may remove all +1/+1 counters from Stingwanderer. If you do, you may copy that spell for each +1/+1 counter removed this way and Stingwanderer deals damage to itself equal to the number of +1/+1 counters removed this way.
2/2

Thank you. perfectly clear now.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Getting this out of the way so I don't forget about it.

Azorius/Boros
Some background stuff from MaRo's articles.

Is it ok if i ask for the article as well? i wasn't playing during the ravnica time.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
For everyone:
(But Silly_Dragons...)

The Articles:
Gruul
Izzet
Golgari
Orzhov
Azorius
Boros
Selesyna
Simic
Rakdos
Dimir
Izzet and Gruul

Violent Ricochet 
Instant
Reselect all targets of target spell at random. (Select from among all legal targets.)
Oops!

When I began designing this card, I knew I wanted to create something that felt like it could belong to either of the two guilds, rather than both, so I was looking at just red here. Izzet's lack of focus overlapping Gruul's lack of foresight gave me the idea for an uncontrollable spell; something in complete disarray. Once I knew I was incorporating some form of the word random, the rest came to me. In order to make this feel as though it belonged to the Izzet, I knew I wanted a design that felt quirky and creative. In order to make this feel as though it belonged to the Gruul, I knew I wanted a design that felt crude and effective. I am very happy with how this turned out.
For everyone:
(But Silly_Dragons...)

The Articles:
-snip-

These were the ones I was looking at. They're more detailed.

Boros

Golgari
Selesnya
Dimir
Orzhov
Izzet
Gruul
Azorius
Rakdos
Simic
I'll take Sislenya and Simic... there's a pretty obvious overlap there. Simic cares about evolution, while the Seslenya care about community. Therefore, it stands to reason that their overlap would be either a community evolving, and evolving a community. The second sounds far more fun

Crusher Counsel
Creature - Beast Mutant
: Crusher Counsel gets +1/-1 or -1/+1 until end of turn.
It is in constant debate with the many minds within it. The counsel that is it's conciousness forever debating their next move.
5/5

Mechanically it doesn't have too much in common with the two guilds aside from it's creatureness and creature type, but conceptually a being that is in itself a democracy, evolved to be able to judge it's own actions... that seems like very much belonging to both guilds.
[spoiler Selesnya]What I took from it:
Depending on your point of view, the Conclave is either a selfless, nurturing, spiritual group or a brainwashing nature cult.

[/spoiler][spoiler Simic]What I took from it:
The Simic believe in augmenting and customizing natural organisms. Their reasons for doing so vary from improving the quality of life for Ravnica's citizens to restoring a balance between nature and civilization in their world.

[/spoiler]Mechanically, it will play well with the famous convoke and graft. (Graft likes to grant abilities to creatures with +1/+1 counters.)

Chant of the Many
:G::U::U:
Sorcery
Convoke
Gain control of target creature and put X +1/+1 counters on it.
"Join us; you will have a better life." - The Chorus of the Conclave

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Golgari/Orzhov. Look for this post to be edited in the future.

I basically came up with upholding peace using controlling plants, ravenous stop at nothing to win plants.

Gaea's Arbiter
Creature - Plant Avatar
Trample, reach
When Gaea's Arbiter enters the battlefield, put a fungus counter on each creature an opponent controls.
Whenever a creature with a fungus counter dies, put a copy of it onto the battlefield under your control. It is a Plant in addition to it's other types.
"We have failed. And nature has come to uphold her own laws."
4/4
My Resume
57106328 wrote:

And the trophy for the round goes to:
trophy.png DrJWilson - I really like how all the abilities worked together to create a really sweet card. This will be a popular pick for sure.

57718868 wrote:
1) DrJWilson 2) Silly Dragons 3) Libe
58325628 wrote:
Excellent design. Always loved Doubling Season and this card is an awesome variation on that.
58234648 wrote:
As for the card itself, it is quite possible the best use of mono-red vigilance I've ever seen on the boards. Well done.
58234648 wrote:
Love it.
58234648 wrote:
Very good design.
58025228 wrote:
I love it. Just find a good deck to use it against.
58025228 wrote:
i like it. I can imagine a bear eating a land or something then farting out the land's essence.
58325628 wrote:
Reminds me of a card I was working on earlier. I love the flavor and mechanics of this card. Great design and brilliant concept.
93144081 wrote:
I don't care if the white zombies are off, I just really like this card. Also seems likes its got a backstory I'd like to hear about. Like how I was interested in Anowon, the Ruin Sage before I realized he came from a web comic.
[quote author=64133868 post=462195821]
83237429 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
<3
58021268 wrote:
<4
<5 XD

CRITERION:
I have been relatively nostalgic lately, so let's revisit Ravnica again.
Choose one of the following guild combinations:

• Gruul and Izzet

• Golgari and Orzhov

• Azorius and Boros

• Selesyna and Simic

• Rakdos and Dimir

Using the color that the two guilds in the combination share, make a card that fits the ideologies of both guilds. (You must use the color the guilds share. You may also use any combination of the other two colors of the guilds, but do not use colors not represented in the chosen combination.)

Gonna go with Rakdos and Dimir....

So... , , , or ...

Nightmare Seeker -
Creature - Demon
Hellbent -- , : Choose a nonland card on the battlefield. Search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as the chosen card card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only if you have no cards in hand and only as a sorcery.
3/2

~SE++

http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/index.php

Rakdos and Dimir

Midnight Transguildmage 
Creature-Human Wizard
()(), Sacrifice a creature: Destroy target non-basic land.
()(), Sacrifice a creature: Target player puts the top 8 cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
"Please accept this offering as a token of our... sincerity"-Drekilnor, Bearer of Corpses
2/2

Everyone loves guildmages right?
ATTENTION WIZARDS OF THE COAST: You have full rights to use any of my intellectual property found on these boards (I'm not going to use it and it'd be a shame to waste it). -Dr. Stinkyjoeterry, Ph.D.
Everyone loves guildmages right?

Always found them kinda "meh."

~SE++

http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/index.php

Golgari and Orzhov

Gravescourge -
Creature - Fungus
Haunt (When this card dies, exile it haunting target creature.)
When the creature ~ haunts dies, you may return that creature to the battlefield under your control.
"Death? Why would that release you from our service?"
2/2
Golgari/Orzhov

Domovoi, the Collector --
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player loses 1 life for each creature he or she controls and for each creature card in his or her graveyard. Then you gain that much life.
"Pecunia non olet."
2/4

ceci n'est pas une signature.

Golgari/Orzhov

Domovoi, the Tax Collector --
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player loses 1 life for each creature he or she controls and for each creature card in his or her graveyard. You gain that much life.
"Pecunia non olet."
2/2

Eww.
My Resume
57106328 wrote:

trophy.png DrJWilson - I really like how all the abilities worked together to create a really sweet card. This will be a popular pick for sure.

57718868 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Excellent design. Always loved Doubling Season and this card is an awesome variation on that.
58234648 wrote:
As for the card itself, it is quite possible the best use of mono-red vigilance I've ever seen on the boards. Well done.
58234648 wrote:
Love it.
58234648 wrote:
Very good design.
58025228 wrote:
58025228 wrote:
i like it. I can imagine a bear eating a land or something then farting out the land's essence.
58325628 wrote:
Reminds me of a card I was working on earlier. I love the flavor and mechanics of this card. Great design and brilliant concept.
93144081 wrote:
I don't care if the white zombies are off, I just really like this card. Also seems likes its got a backstory I'd like to hear about. Like how I was interested in Anowon, the Ruin Sage before I realized he came from a web comic.
83237429 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
<3
58021268 wrote:
<4
<5 XD
Golgari/Orzhov

Domovoi, the Tax Collector --
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player loses 1 life for each creature he or she controls and for each creature card in his or her graveyard. You gain that much life.
"Pecunia non olet."
2/2

Eww.

Mission accomplished. :P

ceci n'est pas une signature.

You have the rest of today and then two more days to finish your designs.
This is just a reminder.
I miss secret submissions. Those should totally come back for this portion.

Gruul and Izzet

Bait and Switch
Sorcery
Creatures must block this turn if able. Whenever a creature blocks or becomes blocked this turn, you may switch its power and toughness until end of turn.
The proper lure makes a trap all the sweeter.
We're waiting on JV to submit something... I will get in touch with him.
Also, everyone has until tomorrow at 6pm EST to finalize their submissions.
I have gotten a reply from JV.
He said he will have his submission completed within the next hour or so.

It's only fair (to me, his judge :P) to extend the round until this time.

Once JV posts his design, the round will close and the four judges will submit their rankings/comments. We will put them in spoilers.

Then, as many people from the public will be able to do the same. But, please, wait until all four judges rank and comment first. We don't want to be influenced.

The public has until 24 hours after the last judge submits their rankings/comments.
At the end of this process, I will calculate each contestant's score using the following rubric:

• Judge 1: 20%

• Judge 2: 20%

• Judge 3: 20%

• Owner: 15%

• Public: 25%

I will use the average rank of all submitted rankings for the Public percentage.

The person with the highest number will be eliminated.
Therefore, #1 will be the card you like best.
#12 will be your least favorite.

If a member of the Public does not include a few word justification for each ranking, then their ranks will not be included in the average (so as to prevent meaningless sabotage).

Public, please put your ranking is spoilers too!
Sorry I'm late! I had work! Gah! But you'll thank me when Skyrim is flawless ;)

Simic and Selesnya

Ensemble of Efficacy
Enchantment
Creatures you control enter the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters on them and have no abilities. 
The Combine's factories ceased their churning, and the Chorus hummed a new tune: this world would cast aside the nuance of ants and revere only the footsteps of giants.
[JVZ]> [butter] i like the one that goes like wub wub wub wubwubwubwubwubwubwub
oh crap, we have to rank ALL of them? I better go start getting an opinion about all the other entries then, I already singled out my favorite.

{edit} Opinions obtained and saved in a text file which I will copy-paste into a new post after the judges have had their say(s?).

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

BelangiaJo's Final Rankings:

Rankings:
(This is ranked from best to least best. This is different than best to worst because all of the designs were relatively high quality.)

1. Rush_Clasic: The required blocking is definitely Gruul. The switched power and toughness is definitely Izzet. The combination of the two works well together. This sounds like the name of a split card. It is interesting how this plays out mechanically. It actually adds a lot of strategy to the combat step, which is uncharacteristic for the chaotic Gruul Clan. However, it allows your opponent to choose the blockers particularly. I like the way this card is present, through adding two guild specific mechanics together to make a new ideology (that the combined guild might share).

2. 13th_Horseman: The third person in this contest to use a guild-specific mechanic! (I graded this in order of submission, so it may be off by the time I rank everyone.) The flavor isn't great. I really like the simpleness, yet effectiveness of this card. It uses Haunt in a very Golgari way, while still maintaining its Orzhov-ness. The card is decent.

3. JohnnyValdez: This card combines Selesyna and Simic pretty effortlessly. The +1/+1 counters are obviously Simic. The removal of abilities definitely promotes equality via Selesyna. The flavor is good too. My only issue is the issue of creatures you control will +1/+1 counters already on them that predate this card. This might cause a discrepancy as to which creatures have abilities and which ones don't. Also, power level is a slight concern (especially on creatures with drawbacks that are wiped away and replaced with three +1/+1 counters).

4. DrJWilson: This is one of the more cohesive designs of the contest. That being said, I worry about power level. It is a trampling 4/4 with a CMC of 5, which is decent. Then, it potentially makes copies of your opponent's creatures. Reach is a little redundant. The flavor is nice.

5. SilentTwin: Intended for Commander or multiplayer, I like that. I sense more Orzhov than Golgari in this design. The power level of this card gets considerably greater as the game progresses. It is interesting to note how this card pairs favorably against Golgari. The idea behind this card isn't too bad, but it is kinda difficult to judge without a little bit of playtesting.

6. stinkyjoeterry: I'm not a fan of the name (mainly transguildmage). The card works very well in both Dimir and Rakdos. I don't like that you pay the activation cost and sacrifice a creature to use these. The mill strategy is nice, but the nonbasic land makes the first ability limited. This design is solid, without being anything too incredible.

7. squinty_eyes: Awesome, another guild-specific mechanic! This card may be a bit too efficient, but I doubt it. It requires that you already control the card, thus is must be a nonland permanent. I like the way you modified Hellbent to make the "Activate this ability only if you have no cards in hand..." It is nice. My only qualm with the execution of the two guilds is that this is less chaotic/evil than Rakdos typically is.

8. Silly_Dragons: I feel like Azorius is extremely well-justified, but Boros is a bit of a stretch. This is made worse by giving the card two borderline white abilities. As this card is, it is pretty potent (in Limited especially). I love the interaction between the abilities.

9. Cgalcic: This card is a headache. This is actually one of the better executions this round, I immediately see the connection to Gruul (chaos) and to Izzet (manipulation). This card is pretty gimmicky, which doesn't suit my personal preferences. At least it is interesting!

10. Outside_the_Asylum: The flavor doesn't reflect the mixing of Simic and Selesnya very well, but the mechanics do. I feel like it is balanced, however I wish it were more interesting. This design is relatively safe.

11. AnubisDread: I don't like how Simic has a mechanical justification and Selesnya has a more abstract, flavor-based one. I can only, confidently, justify Simic with this design. In fact, it is difficult for me to even justify that this creature is green. It seems blue. In a vacuum, the card idea is interesting and somewhat likable. For this criterion, it is a near miss.

12. theatog: I'll start with what every card designer is thinking when he sees this manacost: Ew. That being said, you are the first designer so far (I graded this in the order people submitted them) to actually incorporate one of the guild-specific keyword mechanics. It's a risky move when you're trying to display both guilds. I feel like the interaction between +1/+1 counters (Simic) and Convoke (Selesyna) is executed well. The flavor seems too biased towards Selesyna, however. Also, the flavor text is too obvious.

If you have any questions, please feel free to private message me. If you don't like your current rank, remember: there will be three more judges and the public factored into the final elimination.
BelangiaJo's Final Rankings:

Rankings:
(This is ranked from best to least best. This is different than best to worst because all of the designs were relatively high quality.)

1. Rush_Clasic: The required blocking is definitely Gruul. The switched power and toughness is definitely Izzet. The combination of the two works well together. This sounds like the name of a split card. It is interesting how this plays out mechanically. It actually adds a lot of strategy to the combat step, which is uncharacteristic for the chaotic Gruul Clan. However, it allows your opponent to choose the blockers particularly. I like the way this card is present, through adding two guild specific mechanics together to make a new ideology (that the combined guild might share).

2. 13th_Horseman: The third person in this contest to use a guild-specific mechanic! (I graded this in order of submission, so it may be off by the time I rank everyone.) The flavor isn't great. I really like the simpleness, yet effectiveness of this card. It uses Haunt in a very Golgari way, while still maintaining its Orzhov-ness. The card is decent.

3. JohnnyValdez: This card combines Selesyna and Simic pretty effortlessly. The +1/+1 counters are obviously Simic. The removal of abilities definitely promotes equality via Selesyna. The flavor is good too. My only issue is the issue of creatures you control will +1/+1 counters already on them that predate this card. This might cause a discrepancy as to which creatures have abilities and which ones don't. Also, power level is a slight concern (especially on creatures with drawbacks that are wiped away and replaced with three +1/+1 counters).

4. DrJWilson: This is one of the more cohesive designs of the contest. That being said, I worry about power level. It is a trampling 4/4 with a CMC of 5, which is decent. Then, it potentially makes copies of your opponent's creatures. Reach is a little redundant. The flavor is nice.

5. SilentTwin: Intended for Commander or multiplayer, I like that. I sense more Orzhov than Golgari in this design. The power level of this card gets considerably greater as the game progresses. It is interesting to note how this card pairs favorably against Golgari. The idea behind this card isn't too bad, but it is kinda difficult to judge without a little bit of playtesting.

6. stinkyjoeterry: I'm not a fan of the name (mainly transguildmage). The card works very well in both Dimir and Rakdos. I don't like that you pay the activation cost and sacrifice a creature to use these. The mill strategy is nice, but the nonbasic land makes the first ability limited. This design is solid, without being anything too incredible.

7. squinty_eyes: Awesome, another guild-specific mechanic! This card may be a bit too efficient, but I doubt it. It requires that you already control the card, thus is must be a nonland permanent. I like the way you modified Hellbent to make the "Activate this ability only if you have no cards in hand..." It is nice. My only qualm with the execution of the two guilds is that this is less chaotic/evil than Rakdos typically is.

8. Silly_Dragons: I feel like Azorius is extremely well-justified, but Boros is a bit of a stretch. This is made worse by giving the card two borderline white abilities. As this card is, it is pretty potent (in Limited especially). I love the interaction between the abilities.

9. Cgalcic: This card is a headache. This is actually one of the better executions this round, I immediately see the connection to Gruul (chaos) and to Izzet (manipulation). This card is pretty gimmicky, which doesn't suit my personal preferences. At least it is interesting!

10. Outside_the_Asylum: The flavor doesn't reflect the mixing of Simic and Selesnya very well, but the mechanics do. I feel like it is balanced, however I wish it were more interesting. This design is relatively safe.

11. AnubisDread: I don't like how Simic has a mechanical justification and Selesnya has a more abstract, flavor-based one. I can only, confidently, justify Simic with this design. In fact, it is difficult for me to even justify that this creature is green. It seems blue. In a vacuum, the card idea is interesting and somewhat likable. For this criterion, it is a near miss.

12. theatog: I'll start with what every card designer is thinking when he sees this manacost: Ew. That being said, you are the first designer so far (I graded this in the order people submitted them) to actually incorporate one of the guild-specific keyword mechanics. It's a risky move when you're trying to display both guilds. I feel like the interaction between +1/+1 counters (Simic) and Convoke (Selesyna) is executed well. The flavor seems too biased towards Selesyna, however. Also, the flavor text is too obvious.

If you have any questions, please feel free to private message me. If you don't like your current rank, remember: there will be three more judges and the public factored into the final elimination.

so when does this hit public O.o

Once JV posts his design, the round will close and the four judges will submit their rankings/comments. We will put them in spoilers.

Then, as many people from the public will be able to do the same. But, please, wait until all four judges rank and comment first. We don't want to be influenced.

The public has until 24 hours after the last judge submits their rankings/comments.

To reiterate.
By the way, as I quote these, comment and order, I do these pretty much blind.

Imi's Rankings
Domovoi, the Collector --
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player loses 1 life for each creature he or she controls and for each creature card in his or her graveyard. Then you gain that much life.
"Pecunia non olet."
2/4

Interacts strongly with dredge and ties really well into Orzhov from a tithe perspective. As much as the flavour makes me groan a little, I like this card a lot, and it hits the criteria really well.

Violent Ricochet 
Instant
Reselect all targets of target spell at random. (Select from among all legal targets.)
Oops!

In terms of criteria, this really nails it for me. Is it the best card in the world? Well no. But in terms of finding something that represents the ideology of both guilds, it knocks it out of the park as far as I'm concerned. Violence for fun + random factor pretty much = this card.

Nightmare Seeker -
Creature - Demon
Hellbent -- , : Choose a nonland card on the battlefield. Search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as the chosen card card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only if you have no cards in hand and only as a sorcery.
3/2

I didn't get this at first, but it's Transmute on a stick that doesn't cost you a card. It's very clever. Very clever. I have a slight issue that it's very powerful in that you can pretty much search for anything by the time you get bent. As a developer, I think I would say needs playtesting.

Chant of the Many:G::U::U:
Sorcery
Convoke
Gain control of target creature and put X +1/+1 counters on it.
"Join us; you will have a better life." - The Chorus of the Conclave

Yaaaaaay. An excellent mechanical merge. Flavourfully it's kind of bland, but this does a really good job of pointing towards the mechanical identities of each guild.

Gravescourge -
Creature - Fungus
Haunt (When this card dies, exile it haunting target creature.)
When the creature ~ haunts dies, you may return that creature to the battlefield under your control.
"Death? Why would that release you from our service?"
2/2

Good use of haunt, and of fungus. A card that makes you think about how that fungus brings guys back to life. Pretty cool. I don't get the white.

Crusher Counsel
Creature - Beast Mutant
: Crusher Counsel gets +1/-1 or -1/+1 until end of turn.
It is in constant debate with the many minds within it. The counsel that is it's conciousness forever debating their next move.
5/5

Flavourfully very well put together. Mechancally also very well put together, it's just that again, the core of the ideology doesn't come through in the mechanics. But the flavour goes a long way towards helping it.

Midnight Transguildmage 
Creature-Human Wizard
()(), Sacrifice a creature: Destroy target non-basic land.
()(), Sacrifice a creature: Target player puts the top 8 cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
"Please accept this offering as a token of our... sincerity"-Drekilnor, Bearer of Corpses
2/2

I don't like the name. Personal, but there you go. This is a pretty 'blunt object' approach to the criteria, but hey, sometimes siple gets it done. This is good, but I'm not overwhelmed. While I don't like the name, it does help carry the criteria a bit.

Will of Vitu-Ghazi
Sorcery
Choose one - Put three 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield; or distribute three +1/+1 counters among one, two, or three target creatures.
The City-Tree has its own methods of defending itself.

This is pretty cool. A good mix of abilities. I'm not sure how it represents the ideologies of both rather than present the green portion of each Guild though.

Ensemble of Efficacy
Enchantment
Creatures you control enter the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters on them and have no abilities. 
The Combine's factories ceased their churning, and the Chorus hummed a new tune: this world would cast aside the nuance of ants and revere only the footsteps of giants.

Fearsome. I think too fearsome. I think it nails the criteria, the best of all the entries, but it's just the biggest, most permanent Crusade I ever saw. A lot of green decks won't care if they have no abilities. They'll just drop their Garruk's Companions and not care if the enchantment gets blasted. The flavour, as always, is excellent.

Bait and Switch
Sorcery
Creatures must block this turn if able. Whenever a creature blocks or becomes blocked this turn, you may switch its power and toughness until end of turn.
The proper lure makes a trap all the sweeter.

Clever name is clever. This really throws combat for a loop. I like that it forces conflict, I don't particularly like the fact it can't really do much. It's an interesting space for P/T switching, but I think there's a lot of potential 'unfun' factor in this, with a lot of calculation and tracking involved where the caster has complete control, it's almost impossible to play around. In limited that would bump it to a rare slot IMO, but this would be a disappointing rare to open.

Gaea's Arbiter
Creature - Plant Avatar
Trample, reach
When Gaea's Arbiter enters the battlefield, put a fungus counter on each creature an opponent controls.
Whenever a creature with a fungus counter dies, put a copy of it onto the battlefield under your control. It is a Plant in addition to it's other types.
"We have failed. And nature has come to uphold her own laws."
4/4

You're crazy. Orzhov does not uphold peace. Neither does Golgari. It's a really cool card, and it sort of clicks with Orzhov in terms of things dying, but you know what else cares about things dying? Golgari. A cool card that doesn't really click with the criteria for me.

Lin Val, High Magistrate
Whenever ~ attacks, you may tap target creature. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
: Destroy target tapped creature.
"I am your judge, jury, and executioner."
3/3

I disagree that this is a white ability. The only one of the examples I that you gave that I'll concede is Vengeance. Gideon is top down 'come fight me', and Steam Catapult is really just a bit silly, old, and has a restriction on it regardless. As for the ideology, this is so much more law enforcement than law maker because of the second ability, skewing way to much towards Boros for me.
Show

I was just going off of this Imi

To understand the guild's goals, we have to first look at the goals of each of the two colors. White seeks peace. White wants everyone to get along. Black seeks omnipotence. Black wants to have all the power for itself. So how does one have both peace and omnipotence? By being the one that controls the peace. White/Black wants a world without pain and suffering. Although it understands it might need to use pain and suffering to achieve this goal. White/Black believes in tough love. It keeps you safe at the cost of all your liberties. After all, what do you need liberties for if White/Black is taking control of everything for you?

My Resume
57106328 wrote:

57718868 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
58234648 wrote:
58234648 wrote:
Love it.
58234648 wrote:
Very good design.
58025228 wrote:
58025228 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
93144081 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
<3
58021268 wrote:
<4
<5 XD
Elevate's Grades
1. Rush_Clasic
I found this to be the most guild-cohesive card of the round. Effortless fusion, in a neat balanced and flavourful package. A brilliant card.
2. Cgalcic
Another strongly cohesive card, red's random aspect is definitely shared by the Gruul and the Izzet.
3. theatog
Nice. I really like the mechanical flavour attributed to the Selesnya here. Flavour text is cheesy and cliche.
4. JohnnyValdez
Very rich flavour. I love where this is going, but I question the power level here. Three +1/+1 counters are nothing to sneeze at.
5. 13th_Horseman
A slick card which fits right into the wedge niche. The use of Fungus as the creature type was a grat choice. The flavour text is a little cliche, but not detrimentally so.
6. squinty_eyes
Yeah, yeah, pretty cool. The hellbent ability is not super Rakdos-y, but it is hellbent after all, so I don't even know how to finish this sentence. 
7. Silly_Dragons
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsSouJ0SAoc
I am equating pitch to colour relevance here.
8. DrJWilson
The way I graded this round was largely dependant on whether each card could stand alone in each of its guilds (colour aside) - a guild hybrid if you will. This leans a bit towards Golgari, but not too much. I'm also not sure about the power level.
9. SilentTwin
This weighed heavily on the Orzhov, and is very powerful to boot.
10. stinkyjoeterry
I, for one, don't love guildmages (design-wise anyway). They don't show off any of the designers creativity, they just mash some abilities together. Not a huge fan.
11. AnubisDread
Like you said, mechanically this doesn't fit the criteria. I can see where you were trying to go with the flavour, but it just doesn't do it for me.
12. Outside_the_Asylum
First of all, this is not a top-down card. An example of a top-down card would be Sengir Nosferatu. Now having said that, the card didn't impress me. Zero creativity, you just mashed two cards together. It's also pretty much all Selesnya.
I'll get this later today after work.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
There once were three men from Orleans
Who found my card not quite so keen.
But I question, whether or not
(Consider Dark Confidant),
Ravnica needed a bit better green. 
[JVZ]> [butter] i like the one that goes like wub wub wub wubwubwubwubwubwubwub

Who would underrate green?
It had tons to provide!
Elephants romped the set,
Kept your creatures alive!
Skies were swallowed in whole,
Golems crushed into dust!
For those seeking control,
Green was surely a must!
What other color could
Rediscover such lands
Or supply fuel and life
For your graveyard demands?
Green erupted with fun,
Sought out every friend,
Charged with furious might,
Broke the game toward its end!
I dare say Ravnica
Treated green very well.
Or at least it was fun,
As far as I can tell.

Who would underrate green?
It had tons to provide!
Elephants romped the set,
Kept your creatures alive!
Skies were swallowed in whole,
Golems crushed into dust!
For those seeking control,
Green was surely a must!
What other color could
Rediscover such lands
Or supply fuel and life
For your graveyard demands?
Green erupted with fun,
Sought out every friend,
Charged with furious might,
Broke the game toward its end!
I dare say Ravnica
Treated green very well.
Or at least it was fun,
As far as I can tell.

Hi, Det...r. Suess.  I hope you didn't vote twice.
ATTENTION WIZARDS OF THE COAST: You have full rights to use any of my intellectual property found on these boards (I'm not going to use it and it'd be a shame to waste it). -Dr. Stinkyjoeterry, Ph.D.