Archenemy teammate AI is absolutely horrible.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm sure you all know this already if you've ever played this mode, but I played Archenemy solo for the first time this morning (because I didn't have time to download PSN update this morning before work and wanted to get a few quick matches in) and I found out how horrible the teammate AI is in this mode. I'm going to paint a general picture:

I'm playing on the medium difficulty and I'm fighting against Garruk.  I have elves and my partners are Sorin and Koth.  Through a display of incredible skill, by turn 3 or 4, Garruk has about 8+ 1/1 tokens and the 2/2 lifegaining landfall deer on the board and he sends all his 1/1's to Koth each turn.  Koth's life gets down to 2, but he gets a rockslide elemental so Garruk lays off.  After a few turns, I have ammassed an army of pumped up elves and attack with everything.  Garruk uses most of his tokens to block.  Massive casualties.  So the situation is:

Garruk (Archenemy) - 2 creatures out.  The 2/2 deer and a 0/1 blocker.  50+ life
Sorin - Army of about 6 vampires all with toughness of 2 or above.  20 life
Me - Army of about 6 or 7 elves/tokens all with toughness of 3 or above.  20 life
Koth - Army of about 4-5 creatures all with toughness of 2 or above including a rockslide elemental that is now about a 20/20.

Its our attack phase and I attack.  My partners do nothing.  Garruk has a 2/2 and a 0/1.  Why are my teammates not attacking?  So I do my damage and think "well maybe I acted too fast and didn't give the AI enough time to think."  So the next turn, I wait on them in the combat phase and they still don't attack!  We are dominating him and he has nothing that is a threat to their strongest creatures.  I do this one more time without them attacking then when his life is down to 2, they all decide they want to join in on the fight to help finish him off.

It felt like the AI was built in such a way to make it seeem more like a 1/1 with the AI partners simply acting as decoys.  I noticed them taking the hit to themselves everytime they were hit with a scheme that gave them the option to take it themselves or spread it to teammates.  For example, Sorin had 4 land and had to either get rid of 2 of his, or make us both give up 1.  Koth and I both had more land than him, but he gimped himself by cutting his land down to 2.

In theory, Archenemy seems like it could be fun, but I just don't understand how the AI ended up being built so horribly in what is supposed to be one of the main attractions of this game when I have seen the AI play pretty intelligently for the most part in 1v1's.
The last time I played with AI against Garruk, I discovered that if you don't play spells when you are able to cast them the AI will not play their spells even when they have no reason not to.
I agree, teammate AI is trash in Archenemy.  It really makes playing Archenemy campaign mode unenjoyable.

Here's what you can do though: play with 3 controllers lol.  In some ways that's the most enjoyable, even more than co-op because you're in full control of all 3 decks.
I have played about 20 Archenemy games and the AI has been pretty good.  I don't know if its different on PS3 (I'm on Xbox).   It always picks the best options when its told to choose between self or others.  It will attack at all the correct times.  Give it another shot. Hopefully the AI was bad for just that one game.
I have played about 20 Archenemy games and the AI has been pretty good.  I don't know if its different on PS3 (I'm on Xbox).   It always picks the best options when its told to choose between self or others.  It will attack at all the correct times.  Give it another shot. Hopefully the AI was bad for just that one game.

Only reason I was even playing it was because I couldn't play online.  This soured me on the experience and if I ever get the urge to play this again, I'll probably just play it online with real folks.

I found the AI to be pretty good in fact i beat everyone in archenemy campaign except nicol bolas and koth with AI. Also, if the AI in this game is way better than the last game so atleast we no this mode wuld hav completely sucked in the last game so they did do good with the AI.
What difficulty are you playing on? Mage Difficulty is completely stupid and, among other things, doesn't counter spells. Planeswalker difficulty applies to your allies' AI as well.
What difficulty are you playing on? Mage Difficulty is completely stupid and, among other things, doesn't counter spells. Planeswalker difficulty applies to your allies' AI as well.

I was playing on the medium difficulty (whatever it's called).  Regardless, that's no excuse for what I saw though.  Even the dumbest programmed AI should have known to attack in the situation I presented.
I chime in that the AI lacks a lot of pure logics and intelligence.
One thing I just can't get is the AI constantly attacks with a 0/4 creature, tapping it, and not being able to block with it in the opponents round. WELL DUH!
I chime in that the AI lacks a lot of pure logics and intelligence.
One thing I just can't get is the AI constantly attacks with a 0/4 creature, tapping it, and not being able to block with it in the opponents round. WELL DUH!

Put it up from Mage difficulty.
Yes, I'll try that. Didn't know it would affect the AI of my team as well... but it makes sense.
The first time I played Archenemy I played on Mage so I could find out how the three-on-one thing worked without getting curbstomped. All three AI's played like idiots. I gambled and decided I would prefer 2 competent teammates against a competent opponent with game-changing effects every turn, than have 2 complete idiot teammates against a complete idiot opponent with game-changing effects every turn.

So yeah, Archenemy is a better experience all around on Planeswalker difficulty.  
I've been running on Planeswalker difficulty, and I still get archenemy Garruk sending is 0/1 plants across unpumped every game, and I think I will have an aneurysm next time he Overruns because teammate Chandra hasn't use the effing Pyroclasm she's been sitting on all day.

Having said this, maybe the AI handles some decks better than others? I remember that the AI in the original game couldn't use Pariah to save its life, but never had any trouble using certain other complicated spells. Anyone have a notion of the least sucky decks to give teammates?
Honestly the AI is going to be stupid no matter what difficulty or what deck you pick. I breezed through the arch enemy campaign using nothing but triple illusions every time, it's pretty easy to get your illusions pumped up when there are 3 illusion decks in the same game. I remember quite a few times though where my teammates would literally do nothing except lay down creatures, they would never counter, never attack, nothing but lay creatures, but it usually ended up helping me anyway because I would usually get like a 15/15 Krovikan Mist on the field pretty quickly and I would basically just solo the game from there. AI is indeed terribly stupid from my experience, even on planeswalker difficulty.

I've also found that the AI also loves to take damage... even if they have equal toughness creatures that can kill the attacker, if they aren't higher... they will take all the damage.

It would be great if there was a way to control all 3 players with one controller.

From What iv found the AI wont trade and will very rarely swarm a fatti with some weenies and they will do everything in there power to stop a card dieing even if its a 1/1 and a 1/1 attacks it they will say waste a giant growth to save it for no reason
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best
Yeah I was running triple illusion and one of my teammates had a time warp in his hand, with sufficient mana, and didn't use it.  The only thing I can think of that he was trying to do is save his mana for counterspells even though both me and my other AI partner had plenty AND he (well our entire team actually) would get another turn and untap.  He wasn't even using his mana for anything else either.  This was on Archmage BTW.
Sign In to post comments