6/23/2011 FtL: "Yoga Instruction"

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Why are you making non-commander decks with the commanders from a commander product during commander week?

Also, I'm not thrilled by the idea of someone (or myself) picking up 4 of a deck so I can build a 60 card deck around one of these commanders.
At first I wanted to [use] Cloudstone Curio to bounce some artifact creatures back and forth repeatedly, making Animar super-huge. That is, until the word "nonartifact" blared at me like a dump truck horn. Colored creatures it would have to be. If I wanted to go infinite, I needed a source of  KOBOLDS!

Laughing

You can play up to 12 Kobolds, too. You just need any two to start dancing.

I'm probably misunderstanding what was said... but how does Chaos Warp  not combo with Psychic Surgery?

Does that mean that it doesn't work at all, or does that mean something entirely different?

Eldrazi also work with Cloudstone Curio and Anima, but you need a bunch of counters on it already.

I'm probably misunderstanding what was said... but how does Chaos Warp  not combo with Psychic Surgery?

Does that mean that it doesn't work at all, or does that mean something entirely different?

It works in the sense that casting Chaos Warp on a permanent owned by your opponent causes the ability of Psychic Surgery to trigger.  It doesn't work in the sense that you can't use Psychic Surgery (or anything else, short of removing a large portion of the relevant library) to manipulate what card is revealed with Chaos Warp.
I love Zedruu the Greathearted so much. I'm glad that she's not turned out to be crazily expensive as a single card, because although I'm buying 1x Political Puppets, it would be a bit excessive to buy 4x.
Why are you making non-commander decks with the commanders from a commander product during commander week?

This.

I don't usually question authors on this site, but ... this.

EDH multiplayer barely gets any mentions around here, and finally during a time when the product is FEATURED, we still don't get a lot of coverage.

Go figure. 
It's not like the cards are banned in sixty-card decks, you know. Hell, he said himself in the article that he only just started playing EDH. Do you really want to see four gimmicky EDH decks built in a period of less than a week by a dude who's only played the format once or twice?
blah blah metal lyrics
An article which talks about using cards that you can only find as singletons in £25 precons for another format for proper 60 card decks, kind of feels pointless.

lensig.gif
I think that he should be using Ghostway, not Otherworldly journey. That way all he will give his opponent is land, and he can trigger multiple effects again.

I really don't understand why he included Hammerheim Deadeye either.
An article which talks about using cards that you can only find as singletons in £25 precons for another format for proper 60 card decks, kind of feels pointless.

Because singles don't exist?
blah blah metal lyrics
I thought of a fun combo with Ruhan of the Fomori.

Attach a vow to him for each opponent you have, then use Zedruu the Greathearted to donate those vows to opponents you don't want to attack!  You can even use Homeward Path to change your mind later.

Unfortunately, Ruhan would never agree to such terms.
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm

Because singles don't exist?

Singles come from those precons. Also, they are very expensive relative to the price of their decks.
I thought of a fun combo with Ruhan of the Fomori.

Attach a vow to him for each opponent you have, then use Zedruu the Greathearted to donate those vows to opponents you don't want to attack!  You can even use Homeward Path to change your mind later.

Unfortunately, Ruhan would never agree to such terms.

yea that would totaly be worth it for a 1 more card a turn!
Dear Noel deCordova,
 Regarding your article "Yoga Instruction":

Sorry but i find your articles kind of pointless. What are you making here, budget decks? Casual decks? Decks to sell 4x of the new product? They're not budget because those commanders are expensive, and budget players usually want standard decks. They're not casual because nobody owns those ancient crappy cards; they have to be ordered online. These articles won't sell product because the decks you make are garbage. They're not even effective decks, and you obviously don't play them. You just whip them together on gatherer, complain about not having a girlfriend (last week) and call it an article. Please, ask your editor for a different writing assignment.

They're bad decks. If you knew the rules well enough, you'd know that Zedruu will let you draw cards off tokens created by your effects that other players control, like for example with Varchild's War-Riders. For a cumulative upkeep he puts tokens into play for your opponent which are considered "your" property, and you can draw cards from them right away by correctly stacking the effects. And Varchild has Rampage so he can eat them up as he attacks. The spell Brand will steal back all permanents you own in one swoop for an alpha strike.

Exiling your commander so you can send all your permanents his way and getting an 8/8 for 7 mana? That's garbage! Green decks will give you better creatures than that and you don't need 3 card bad combos that make you lose all your stuff to pull it off. Loxodon peacekeeper? Garbage! Why does this crap get published?

Like Zedruu should be used with Illusions of Grandeur/Delusions of Mediocrity/Though Lash, not Hammerheim Deadeye.

So your decks aren't budget because they're expensive, they aren't casual because nobody owns those cards, they aren't good, and they aren't tested. Why are you writing this crap?

Here's an example of one of your coworkers doing a good budget deck article.
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

See? He makes a standard deck that works well using underused cards and he tests it. And it looks really fun to play.

Ben used to write budget articles and the prices of the cards he used shot up within hours.

Please, ask your editor for a different writing assignment.
I'm sorry to tell you but tokens are considered to be owned by the player under whose control they entered.
Dear Noel deCordova,
[SNIP Blah]

These Decks are for Jhonnies. They are not meant to be good, but to be whacky. They are cool, but not effective. See here, here and (more importantly) here and here. These Articles are not meant for you, so stop complaining.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
Dear Noel deCordova,

Sorry but i find your articles kind of pointless. What are you making here, budget decks? Casual decks? Decks to sell 4x of the new product? They're not budget because those commanders are expensive, and budget players usually want standard decks. They're not casual because nobody owns those ancient crappy cards; they have to be ordered online. These articles won't sell product because the decks you make are garbage. They're not even effective decks, and you obviously don't play them. You just whip them together on gatherer, complain about not having a girlfriend (last week) and call it an article. Please, ask your editor for a different writing assignment.

They're bad decks. If you knew the rules well enough, you'd know that Zedruu will let you draw cards off tokens created by your effects that other players control, like for example with Varchild's War-Riders. For a cumulative upkeep he puts tokens into play for your opponent which are considered "your" property, and you can draw cards from them right away by correctly stacking the effects. And Varchild has Rampage so he can eat them up as he attacks. The spell Brand will steal back all permanents you own in one swoop for an alpha strike.

Exiling your commander so you can send all your permanents his way and getting an 8/8 for 7 mana? That's garbage! Green decks will give you better creatures than that and you don't need 3 card bad combos that make you lose all your stuff to pull it off. Loxodon peacekeeper? Garbage! Why does this crap get published?

Like Zedruu should be used with Illusions of Grandeur/Delusions of Mediocrity/Though Lash, not Hammerheim Deadeye.

So your decks aren't budget because they're expensive, they aren't casual because nobody owns those cards, they aren't good, and they aren't tested. Why are you writing this crap?

Here's an example of one of your coworkers doing a good budget deck article.
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

See? He makes a standard deck that works well using underused cards and he tests it. And it looks really fun to play.

Ben used to write budget articles and the prices of the cards he used shot up within hours.

Please, ask your editor for a different writing assignment.

First, there's no need to adopt such a hostile tone.  It's not like he personally attacked you.  If you don't like this column, don't read it.

Second, the rule to which you are alluding was changed with the release of M10.

Third, these are not meant to be decks that you build and take to FNM.  The target audience for this column consists mainly of people who would never copy a finished decklist.  This column is supposed to be a source of ideas, not finished products.
Animar + Grinning Ignus = infinite colorless mana and an arbitrarily large Animar. A two-cards combo that can be launched on turn 4 with no warning. Also worth including into any Animar Commander deck.
I would like to see some of the decks that are created here tested to see viability.
For those that are complaining about using a commander card in a 60 card deck, why is that a problem? This is basically the third week that Commander has been getting previews. I'm not interested in the format at all. But, a few of the cards are interesting to throw into a real deck. 

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green).

He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one."

I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred:

Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature.

Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself?

Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill.

Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it.

Him: You can't do that.

Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Trade with your friends?

These cards are worth plenty less than $25 USD. For the cost of one deck you get 4 legendary creatures, a Sol Ring, a Command Tower, and some other stuff. One deck comes with a Stranglehold. SCG split up the decks, then appropriately marked up each part, and the new legends were worth $3 - $8 each depending on demand. So if you're casually trading with your friends, 1-2 boosters max.
I'm not interested in the format at all.

This should be a week for people who are interested in the format. Commander gets has gotten little to no coverage or attention in MTG articles until recently, and to post this weird article during "Commander week" is just kind of bizarre.
Animar + Grinning Ignus = infinite colorless mana and an arbitrarily large Animar. A two-cards combo that can be launched on turn 4 with no warning. Also worth including into any Animar Commander deck.

Sorry, not really. Casting the Ignus costs , and you need another to activate the Ability. The Ability gives you , so you invest 2 and get , so you convert into .
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
60-card casual is a fading format due to it's inherent imbalance.

I don't think EDH is the end-all-be-all; It isn't as balanced as some variants. It begins as a "look at all the goofy cards" format but steadily becomes a local arms race with a narrowing "viable" card pool. 

That said, hopefully it will remind people of the newcomer's experience of MTG. There are variants that retain this aspect. Take a look around when your local EDH metagame matures.
Sign In to post comments