Great Online Gaming Experiences Start With You! (Part 1)

84 posts / 0 new
Last post
We just put out part 1 of our new series called:Great Online Gaming Experiences Start With You! Here at Wizards we want to make sure that everyone can talk openly and have discussions. If you've got any other tips or stories you'd llike to share please feel free to do so!
Michael Robles Community Manager Wizards of the Coast Twitter: @michaelrobles
I just read that.  It seems, well, odd. And a bit disappointing, I was hoping for stories of great experiences.   So far it it's more like how not to have a bad experience?

I reckon ya gotta start there though? 

Great MOL gaming experiences...  Would have been fJawesome to have some indepth on LSV's hamtastic Cup singleton deck.  Who 3-0's standard with singleton?  :bows:

Me?  Prolly my best experience was the day you brought us Swiss Draft and the following year of almost non-stop play.  Thanks.

Algona <-------- Loser, fFlamer, NTB Trollnimicist, hopes the series will live up to it's name.
Thank you, Erik.
I just read that.  It seems, well, odd. And a bit disappointing, I was hoping for stories of great experiences.   So far it it's more like how not to have a bad experience?

I reckon ya gotta start there though? 

Great MOL gaming experiences...  Would have been fJawesome to have some indepth on LSV's hamtastic Cup singleton deck.  Who 3-0's standard with singleton?  :bows:

Me?  Prolly my best experience was the day you brought us Swiss Draft and the following year of almost non-stop play.  Thanks.

Algona <-------- Loser, fFlamer, NTB Trollnimicist, hopes the series will live up to it's name.

I think they'll all be like this.  At least, that is what is implied:

"That’s why over the next month, we’ll be running a series of articles with quick tips for protecting yourself and your account to ensure you have the best online gaming experience possible"

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Definitely misnamed.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Yeah, this sounds like a pre-emptive blame the victim if someone gets hacked.
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge
Also, I think it might be a bit wordy for the six-year-olds that don't already know all of this.

Edit:  Wait - I have a better angry post:

If you can actually find an article like this on Wizards' website, you definitely already have the internet skillz necessary to protect your account.
If you pizza when you mean to french fry, you're gonna have a bad time.

This always irks me. Giving away your password is not getting "hacked", it's being stupid. Falling for a scam is not being "hacked", it's being naive and stupid.

The inference here that it's hackers doing this is a slap in the face to hackers. It's like putting purse-snatchers in the same league as cat burglars. Yes, they're both thieves. And a rusty old beater and a new Ferrari are both cars.

Hacking is high tech. Using someone's password that they gave to you, willingly or unwittingly, is neanderthal tech.

So, yes, if someone gets their account hosed for being stuipid, it's their own fault, and they shoulder a significant portion of the blame.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

This always irks me. Giving away your password is not getting "hacked", it's being stupid. Falling for a scam is not being "hacked", it's being naive and stupid.

The inference here that it's hackers doing this is a slap in the face to hackers. It's like putting purse-snatchers in the same league as cat burglars. Yes, they're both thieves. And a rusty old beater and a new Ferrari are both cars.

Hacking is high tech. Using someone's password that they gave to you, willingly or unwittingly, is neanderthal tech.

So, yes, if someone gets their account hosed for being stuipid, it's their own fault, and they shoulder a significant portion of the blame.

Except that's really not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that if someone gets hacked, it looks like this is going to be how WotC responds with "well, you should have read these articles and followed the instructions", regardless of whether any of those things actually took place or not.
Except that's really not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that if someone gets hacked, it looks like this is going to be how WotC responds with "well, you should have read these articles and followed the instructions", regardless of whether any of those things actually took place or not.

These articles have nothing to do with getting hacked. AFAIK, no MTGO account has ever been hacked. Phished*, yes. An account getting phished has probably happened on more than one occaion. Hacked, never.

Also, a MTGO account would not be a very viable target for a hacker. A large bot chain, maybe. But again, not too viable a target. It's like thinking Mr. Cat Burglar is going to break into your bungalow just to steal your paper cards.

*Phishing = "trolling for passwords". In fact, in the past 2 months, I have gotten several emails from what looked like Blizzard regarding my account on WoW. I don't play WoW. Never have. But I imagine several people fell for this.

As far as finding this article goes, well I did find it accidentally. I had first scanned the usual 2 daily articles on the site, and by usual I mean there are almost religiously only 2 articles a day, so I was surprised to find there were some more for that date in the list. Maybe they also need big picture liinks if they should be widely disseminated.

The content is helpful, but for most of us I imagine a bit obvious. I have seen some threads on this forum from people who have regretted sharing passwords, so maybe the advice needs repeating.

I notice one of the features of V4 is to be a central sign in for all your mtgo accounts, so maybe this stuff is about to become much more important.

Hi all! I’m Xan, I work in the Fraud Department here at WOTC. You probably don’t know me, but I read the forums all the time, so I’m pretty excited to get to talk to you about these topics!

As some of you have noticed, some of the information in this series is targeted more to new players than seasoned veterans. We constantly have new players in Magic Online, some of whom may not be aware of how to protect themselves yet, and may find this information helpful. Blippy’s post about Phishing emails is a great example of something we’d like to warn newer players about. Scammers are always improving their methods and upgrading their techniques, and it can be difficult for people to keep track of them.

As more experienced Magic Online players, I’d love to get your questions and feedback on what you’d like to see us cover in future posts.

Please keep in mind that there are some questions I may not be able to answer due to policy, privacy or security concerns, but I will do my best!

... As more experienced Magic Online players, I’d love to get your questions and feedback on what you’d like to see us cover in future posts. ...

I think you did a good job of covering the basics in your first article. You might have thrown in some "horror stories", like the vindictive ex giving away a players prized cards, or "online buddies" trashing a collection, etc. But all in all, an ok job.

As far as fodder for future articles, shady trading comes to mind. Like buying Tix in bulk from unknown people via PayPal gifts. Or the "nickel & dime ripoffs" from bots absconding with your "change". Or the "Nigerian Prince" scam. LOL! I'm sure there's a MTGO equivilent for that. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

You may want to stress the "NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR PASSWORD!" in every article, as well.

How about something that addresses what is and is not appropriate behavior along with the potential consequences? And, what someone should do if they encounter it.
I like the idea of the series, I just dislike the title.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
These are great ideas, and we are already scheduled to cover some of them! Keep the ideas rollin' in! 

Bots shaving credits (or what I like to call the "Office Space Scenario") is a great example of something we'd like to warn the community about. If you're trading with a bot (or person) for credits, you're doing so at your own risk. This doesn't mean we won't take action against the bot, but it does mean that we won't be able to recover the items that you've traded. Be extremely careful when dealing in credits!

I'd love to be able to provide you with MTGO fraud "horror stories", but in most cases I can only speak about them in general terms. Scammers can be smart and subtle,  but they most often draw people in by providing "something for nothing",  and appealing to our greed, such as in Advanced-Fee Fraud (aka, the Nigerian Prince scam) where "millions of dollars" are promised.

Scammers generally repeat only the scams that they've been successful with, if you've seen it more than once then you can bet enough people were taken in by it for the scammer to do it again.

If you've been scammed in Magic Online, you can always report it to the Fraud Team at this link.

on the subject of account security: when can we buy authenticators (random token generators) for MTGO?
my account starts becoming valuable, and i'd hate to lose it.
proud member of the 2011 community team
Wait, there are new players in MtGo?  Really?  Well, shazaam!
Batteries not included.
Duels gets lots of new players into Mtgo
I'm guessing the new version of Duels also created an influx for Mtgo
proud member of the 2011 community team
I can think of several fraud horror stories and almost all of them involve people selling their collections to random players on the classifieds that offered double what legit dealers offered for their collections.  I tried to explain that the other offers were not legit but the players said I was "lowballing" them and should match the other offer.  I politely told them I could not match an offer from a random player that nobody knows.  So then a few weeks later I hear back from them and they say the payment bounced or they just didn't get paid all together.  I can think of one case where I offered someone $5,000 bucks for a collection and someone else offered $8,000 which I said I could not match.  The player ended up getting $0.00 because they were more concerned with getting the most money instead of being smart and only selling to friends they know in person or other people with extremely well known reputations.

If it's too good to be true then it probably is.  The article is good and you should NEVER use the same password for MTGO as you do on other websites.  If your running a bot on your client you should be willing to lose your collection and understand that your taking a risk unless you programmed the bot yourself or know the programmer in person.
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
Less exclamation points! In your posts at least! It's kinda like how ppl talk to kids when they've never really dealt with kids before, you know!
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.

These articles have nothing to do with getting hacked. AFAIK, no MTGO account has ever been hacked. Phished*, yes. An account getting phished has probably happened on more than one occaion. Hacked, never.

During v2 era, there was an account named Woodmansee (?) who was a big player in the auction room who got hacked through his security question.  His account worth on the order of tens of thousands got liquidated immediately. 

If I remember correctly, if you signed up during v1, Wizards only employed a handful of security question options, one of which was "What is your favorite color?", and Wizards wouldn't let you change your security question/answer afterwards for any reason at the time.  That was a major incident that led to a reevaluation of the security question system, and people were allowed to replace horrible ones they had chosen earlier like "What is your favorite color?"  The article was good in the sense that it acknowledges the fact that your security question is often the weakest link for online accounts, which consequently attracts attacks.
During v2 era, there was an account named Woodmansee (?) who was a big player in the auction room who got hacked through his security question.  His account worth on the order of tens of thousands got liquidated immediately. 

If I remember correctly, if you signed up during v1, Wizards only employed a handful of security question options, one of which was "What is your favorite color?", and Wizards wouldn't let you change your security question/answer afterwards for any reason at the time.  That was a major incident that led to a reevaluation of the security question system, and people were allowed to replace horrible ones they had chosen earlier like "What is your favorite color?"  The article was good in the sense that it acknowledges the fact that your security question is often the weakest link for online accounts, which consequently attracts attacks.

That's still not a hack. Hack implies compromising the software.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
... who got hacked through his security question.  His account worth on the order of tens of thousands got liquidated immediately. ...

AURGH!!!Yell

This is NOT "getting HACKED!" Hacking is using computer code/knowhow to bypass security, NOT "guessing somone's security question"!

...That was a major incident that led to a reevaluation of the security question system, and people were allowed to replace horrible ones they had chosen earlier like "What is your favorite color?"

How do I go about changing my security question?

Sorry, Nushae, forum-posting is not my first language- I'm normally more of a lurker. Smile  I will try to moderate my overly enthusiastic punctuation. It might lead to overuse of smileys though, I'm genuinely excited to be able to talk to you guys about fraud. (<- look, no !)

I love the idea of authenticators and authentication apps, but I don't have any information on when/if they will be available. In the current system, the best ways to protect your account are by using strong passwords and security questions to prevent the possibility of anyone guessing your information. When we see accounts that have been "hacked", it's often a result of an account having been shared with friends, or a password that was guessable.

Security questions can be changed by contacting the Game Support team either by phone at 1.800.324.6496 or at this link. You will need to be able to verify ownership of the account in order to make a change like this. The strongest security question/answer sets you can make are those that can't be found in social media or be guessed by your friends.

...That was a major incident that led to a reevaluation of the security question system, and people were allowed to replace horrible ones they had chosen earlier like "What is your favorite color?"

How do I go about changing my security question?

To change your Magic Online security question, you'll either need to call in or contact us via email.

To contact us via the web form please click  log in to www.wizards.com/customerservice using your forums log in, then click the "Ask a Question" tab and select "Magic: The Gathering" from the pull down, then "Magic: The Gathering Online" and from there choose the next topic and fill out the rest of the form.

If you'd prefer to phone, The phone number and times of operation of the Customer Service department are can be found here: wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg...

Hope that helps.

Wyvern

Who cares what the exact definition of hacking is... language has evolved to where being "hacked" generally just means stolen.  Just cause it's a pet peeve doesn't mean you need to flip out, everyone knows it's not actually hacking it's not really relevent to point that out.
... who got hacked through his security question.  His account worth on the order of tens of thousands got liquidated immediately. ...

AURGH!!!Yell

This is NOT "getting HACKED!" Hacking is using computer code/knowhow to bypass security, NOT "guessing somone's security question"!

Language is pretty flexible. STRICTLY speaking, you are correct. Factor in connotation, colloquialism, and all the relevant whatnots, and it is not so bad for someone to call "Stealing personal information through an online medium" as hacking. Seriously, "hacking" is a very broad term in common language now-a-days, like it or not.
Who cares what the exact definition of hacking is... language has evolved to where being "hacked" generally just means stolen.  Just cause it's a pet peeve doesn't mean you need to flip out, everyone knows it's not actually hacking it's not really relevent to point that out.

I do, for one. So does every hacker I know. And every IT security person I know. It's not evolution, it's devolution. Just because "everyone's doing it" doesn't make it right.

Just like English Professors will point out your grammatical flaws, and Lawyers will point out your legal flaws, I am going to point out when people use the word "hacking" to describe something that is CLEARLY NOT hacking in a security related thread.

Don't like it? Too bad, so sad.

EDIT: but you're right. I'll tone it down, and will try to be less aggressive in this matter.

I do, for one. So does every hacker I know. And every IT security person I know. It's not evolution, it's devolution. Just because "everyone's doing it" doesn't make it right.

Just like English Professors will point out your grammatical flaws, and Lawyers will point out your legal flaws, I am going to point out when people use the word "hacking" to describe something that is CLEARLY NOT hacking in a security related thread.

Don't like it? Too bad, so sad.

You can complain about it if you want, but just by doing so doesn't mean you have the moral high ground or something.  And it definetly doesn't make you more intelligent.  Language is used to communicate, that's the purpose of it.  If you want to qq about the meaning of words, cool, but the majority don't care about that and it doesn't make them wrong for thinking that way.  You're free to be disillusioned about what is right or wrong, since it seems like you have difficulty grasping the bigger picture.
Language is flexible, but words still have meanings. I would even say it is irresponsible to use the word hacking, as it implies a technological vulnerability that does not exist. This could unnecessarily undermine confidence in the program and hurt WotC's reputation.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Language is flexible, but words still have meanings. I would even say it is irresponsible to use the word hacking, as it implies a technological vulnerability that does not exist. This could unnecessarily undermine confidence in the program and hurt WotC's reputation.

Personally, I don't care at all about wotc's reputation.
From Merriam-Webster.com

Definition of HACK

4 a : to write computer programs for enjoyment
   b : to gain access to a computer illegally

Seems Merriam-Webster is okay with words evolving. Innocent

/pot stirring
DtM's pet peeve about MTGO #3: Your online screen name is half of your account information.

Look, I can't see WotC taking this issue seriously until this one, fundamental flaw is addressed. It is just short of criminal the ease of which someone can gain access to your account because half of your logon information is on display every time you enter a chat room or play the game itself.

People often think there's little risk involved simply because the ability exists to replace stolen cards in MTGO. I believe such a vision is short-sighted, because the cards in your account are not the most valuable thing in your account. It's also not the tickets, avatars or super-secret deck tech you have.

It's your personal information.

If someone gains access to your MTGO account, the most profitable thing to do is to leave everything just as it is -- but take screen shots of your personal information, and to see if your password for MTGO is in use in other areas of your personal life. And you can thank WotC for helping to make at least some of this possible by displaying half of your logon information publicly every time you play MTGO.

Later,

Don!
A failure to plan, is a plan to fail.
From Merriam-Webster.com

Definition of HACK

Seems Merriam-Webster is okay with words evolving. Innocent

/pot stirring

I stand corrected, then. Foot in mouth

I'll just use some fires & trees to pay for my monster, seeing as you don't have any waters open. Then I'm going to use 2 more trees to destroy your machine. Then my one fire to... 

From Merriam-Webster.com

Definition of HACK

Seems Merriam-Webster is okay with words evolving.

/pot stirring

I stand corrected, then. 

I'll just use some fires & trees to pay for my monster, seeing as you don't have any waters open. Then I'm going to use 2 more trees to destroy your machine. Then my one fire to... 

Cute, except you do realize in magic this HAS happened right?  M12 introduced "dies" because people spoke about the rules that way anyway, so wotc made it official. 
Now I remember what I missed by not lurking around  the MtGo forums.   (Sigh)    Nostalgia.
Come join Team Apathy! or not whatever shrug.gif

Yo! tm  afro.gif

They already do this, so its irrellevant.

on the subject of account security: when can we buy authenticators (random token generators) for MTGO?
my account starts becoming valuable, and i'd hate to lose it.

Yup, pretty huge imo as well.
Owner of TheCardNexus chain on mtgo.
DtM's pet peeve about MTGO #3: Your online screen name is half of your account information.

Look, I can't see WotC taking this issue seriously until this one, fundamental flaw is addressed. It is just short of criminal the ease of which someone can gain access to your account because half of your logon information is on display every time you enter a chat room or play the game itself.

People often think there's little risk involved simply because the ability exists to replace stolen cards in MTGO. I believe such a vision is short-sighted, because the cards in your account are not the most valuable thing in your account. It's also not the tickets, avatars or super-secret deck tech you have.

It's your personal information.

If someone gains access to your MTGO account, the most profitable thing to do is to leave everything just as it is -- but take screen shots of your personal information, and to see if your password for MTGO is in use in other areas of your personal life. And you can thank WotC for helping to make at least some of this possible by displaying half of your logon information publicly every time you play MTGO.

Later,

Don!

tempesteye's #1 PET PEEVE, and the main thrust of what I asked about at the CCC last year.
Multiple layers of security.

They know this is an issue but, I believe, they are limited but the current interface.
I'm hoping and praying that the next version has multiple levels.

Use a password which contains alphanumeric characters, and has mixed case. Make it random, as make it long as you possibly can.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

While I agree that your username and login name SHOULD be different, I can forsee difficulty in making a transition.

If they switch everyones login name to something else (like your email address), someone will not know the information they need to get into their account.

If you have everyone chose a display name the next time they log in, you risk people hijacking the names people used to use.