Congrats Community team! ... So we get what, now?

64 posts / 0 new
Last post

So it was great to see the Community win again, and this year I was fortunate to be available to watch some matches too.  So with that finished, I'm now curious what it actually means:

With the win, the Community Team earned a special no-entry-requirement Planeswalker-format Constructed tournament on July 3 open to all players who logged on to Magic Online any time from Wednesday, June 15 through Friday, June 17!

What is a "special no-entry-requirement Planeswalker-format Contructed tournament"?  I was hoping there'd be an announcement issued with rules and details, and sort-of assume there still will be.  But my search didn't turn up any explanation of the format, so I'm hoping for a head's up on what it actually is.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I too would love details on this. ORCs seem to have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask about this. I logged in during that time, but I have no idea if I was supposed to recieve confirmation or an email or a ticket for entry...
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

All players will be invited to the event that is set up on July 3.  The event will be up near the end of next week.  Players who are qualified will just need to join (with a Planeswalker format deck).  Players who do not have Planeswalker cards will get a copy of the first Planeswalker Deck Pack. 

When/how would we go about getting one of those?

Players who do not have Planeswalker cards will get a copy of the first Planeswalker Deck Pack.

I'm still not quite clear what that is, but as answers go that's sufficient to give me patience.  Thanks WotC_K.  Smile

DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.

Its the gold cards everyone wishes they never opened into their collection.

2tix M11 booster vs. having unusable cards stuck in your collection forever...

Not to mention if you actually want a shot at getting the 3-0 prize you need to spend $15-$45 more in the store buying the planeswalker 2/3/4 decks and multiple copies of some.
yeah with only the one pack you stand absolutely no chance.  I know these are basically free but they have gotten significantly worse every year.  The first time was the awesome momir event where you won avatars.  that was sexy.  last year it was MD5 so you at least got three free boosters.  Now its planeswalker?  wizards want to curse us all with gold-bordered that cant even be deleted?  no thanks.
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
yeah with only the one pack you stand absolutely no chance.  ....  Now its planeswalker?  wizards want to curse us all with gold-bordered that cant even be deleted?  no thanks.

Yes. WotC is offering us a chance to get showered in gold for losing the CCC. I, too, will gladly pass on this. But I'm given to understand that some people enjoy this, so who am I to judge?

At least I can still get rid of my #*&^~!@$ War Marks tomorrow.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

Agree completely. I'd rather play this tournament with 60 basic lands, than have to open the Planeswalker pack, and be burdened for ever... all for a measly 2 tix!

On the other hand, it was a cunning tactic for the WotC team, as though I was rooting for the community, the other prize was far more enticing.

Also, hope to be rid of my War Marks tonight... then just those pesky non-tradeable avatars left!
you get a M11 booster for playing, but any 3 boosters for going 4-0
and with some of the rarer boosters going for 7 tix it could well be worth it.
proud member of the 2011 community team
I'll be out of town July 4th weekend (seriously, who scheduled this event?), so I don't have to submit myself to having gold cards, hooray!
Damn, WotC, these $100 bill you inclosed in my boosters are folded wrong. Here, take them back since you can't fold them right.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

you get a M11 booster for playing, but any 3 boosters for going 4-0
and with some of the rarer boosters going for 7 tix it could well be worth it.

Thats very true but if you want to do that well you need access to all four planeswalker packs.  otherwise its fighting an unwinnable battle. so it means you have to pay like 15 to get them
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
Damn, WotC, these $100 bill you inclosed in my boosters are folded wrong. Here, take them back since you can't fold them right.

this would count if they were giving older players the full set. but they arent you get one pack...so good luck trying to beat people with multiples.
Yeah, sure would be nice if we could just play with "real card" versions of what's available in the planeswalker sets.  Of course, that would make far too much sense.  :P
Mountain bikes are for slow people, and geckos are far better pets than cats & dogs! :D Officially licensed user of the term "GrammarChaos" (Thanks Tempesteye!) MPDC Season 3 Champion

this would count if they were giving older players the full set. but they arent you get one pack...so good luck trying to beat people with multiples.

If a player is Spike-y enough to want to play an "optimized" deck for this then they shouldn't complain about forking out the $4.99 per expansion pack.
Really, it's a free tournament with free cards that every account has access too.

Free gold brick ... so heavy ... damn generosity ...

If a player is Spike-y enough to want to play an "optimized" deck for this then they shouldn't complain about forking out the $4.99 per expansion pack.
Really, it's a free tournament with free cards that every account has access too.

Free gold brick ... so heavy ... damn generosity ...

You're really going to compare a Planeswalker Constructed event to $100 bills and gold bricks?

That's all well and good for you.... But you should be able to understand why this isn't the most exciting news for everyone -_-.

Now that I'm up to speed, I don't get the sense that there's anything manipulative about it.  I would guess the thought process was "what can we do that's non-standard and low competitive, where many people already meet the requirements and we can easily correct for those who don't."

Yes, it might be more ideal if everyone got all X of the same supply, making it more of a duplicate-sealed thing, but if I'm able to participate I won't feel feel bad either way.

Yeah, I don't think it's a clever plot to get people to buy Planeswalker cards or anything, but I was much more excited when I thought it was going to be a free tournament with everybody on an even keel.

It's much less interesting when the community is split by how much money they spend--it just doesn't seem very special anymore.

You're really going to compare a Planeswalker Constructed event to $100 bills and gold bricks?

That's all well and good for you.... But you should be able to understand why this isn't the most exciting news for everyone -_-.

Yes, I am, because I'm trying to make a point without being obnoxious but, since I temporarily forgot this is the internet, let me spell it out for those who lack the proper inference skillz,

Complaining about getting something for free, even if it's not "exactly" what you wanted, IS A CRAPPY THING TO DO.
It makes a person look like a spoiled, self-centered, unappreciative, entitled brat.

Does that clear it up for you? kthxby

Yes, I am, because I'm trying to make a point without being obnoxious but, since I temporarily forgot this is the internet, let me spell it out for those who lack the proper inference skillz,

Complaining about getting something for free, even if it's not "exactly" what you wanted, IS A CRAPPY THING TO DO.
It makes a person look like a spoiled, self-centered, unappreciative, entitled brat.

Sorry, I understand, and will try to make my point clear.

First off, as stated, there are people who enjoy the Planeswalker format. Bully for them! Really! I don't play it, many do. Have fun! Knock yourself out!

Secondly, yes, a free event for the "lowest common denominator" is a good thing. Really! I am not denigrating this event, just the cards. Many people will play in, and enjoy, this event. Good for them! Really!

My point: I hate having untradeable cards in my binder that are useless to me. Even if thay have fancy gold borders, I can't get rid of them.

I know about the workarounds that I have to do so they don't appear when I'm dinking about with my collection, or building decks. That doesn't mean it doesn't irk me to have to do these workarounds every time I peruse my collection or build decks.

So an event that I can enter for free, but I have to buy even more of these cards to be "competitive", and with a booster that is "almost valueless" as an enticement...

So yes, the "$100 bills in the packs" are folded wrong. At least, for me they are.

Lastly, I did enjoy playing in the 2man queues this morning, and finally getting rid of the War Marks. Which was another product I didn't want, and didn't ask for, that got shoved in my face anyway. At least I got some free Signal Pests with fancy alternate art to make up for having to look at them for so long. Thank you for that, at least, WotC.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

My point: I hate having untradeable cards in my binder that are useless to me. Even if thay have fancy gold borders, I can't get rid of them.

I know about the workarounds that I have to do so they don't appear when I'm dinking about with my collection, or building decks. That doesn't mean it doesn't irk me to have to do these workarounds every time I peruse my collection or build decks.

So an event that I can enter for free, but I have to buy even more of these cards to be "competitive", and with a booster that is "almost valueless" as an enticement...
So yes, the "$100 bills in the packs" are folded wrong. At least, for me they are.

For the record, I've never opened the Planeswalker cards on my account. I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to having to look at them.

And it's fine that you understand that this tournament isn't for you.
Not every event will appeal to everyone.

It's not you my ire was directed at. I hate the fact that some people can't even pretend to see a viewpoint other then thier own. That's what *really* bothered me.

oh i understand other people might enjoy it...but theyve really shafted the community prize this year as compared to previous years.

I invest money into MTGO every week. I have every right to express slight disinterest, as does everyone else here.

Just because you're stubborn about your perspective being the most well-rounded doesn't mean that it's perfect. I'm not ragging on your opinion here. I can understand why it's fair what Wizards gave us. In fact, I'm not making this into a big deal AT ALL.

I'm just displeased with how you're sharing your opinion. You're belittling me because I'm not excited about a game I'm usually excited about? Come on, show some maturity here. Your treasure is my junk, that's all there is to this.

For the record, I've never opened the Planeswalker cards on my account. I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to having to look at them.

And it's fine that you understand that this tournament isn't for you.
Not every event will appeal to everyone.

It's not you my ire was directed at. I hate the fact that some people can't even pretend to see a viewpoint other then thier own. That's what *really* bothered me.

I don't think it's so much that they can't pretend to see a viewpoint other than thier own, but moreso that they chose to express thier viewpoint when from thier viewpoint WotC is lacking.

This place would be far more productive if people stuck to thier own viewpoint rather than trying to always see it from WotCs.
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge
This place would be far more productive if people stuck to thier own viewpoint rather than trying to always see it from WotCs. 

You'll never understand why some things are the way they are unless you try to understand it from WotC's viewpoint.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
The way I see it, Wizards has X amount of generosity per year.  They spent some portion of this X on these events.  Was that portion well spent?

Personally, I don't really care.  I probably wouldn't have the time to participate no matter what they dreamed up.  But I can see why other's might.

You'll never understand why some things are the way they are unless you try to understand it from WotC's viewpoint.

WotC will never get the message that they need to improve things unless people stick to their own viewpoint. 
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge
Was july 4th weekend chosen on purpose or is this another tick mark on a long list of doh's?
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
When/how would we go about getting one of those?

Has a link been posted to get one of these yet?  I hate having them in my collection, but for a free booster I'll put up with a little inconvienence.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)
If you just treat the Warmark sealeds as the real community prize, then its really not that big of a deal... Well unless you didn't pick up some war marks of course =/
If you just treat the Warmark sealeds as the real community prize, then its really not that big of a deal... Well unless you didn't pick up some war marks of course =/

I don't treat that as the community prize either, because it rewards those who game the faulty system WotC setup, rather than reward the masses equally.

20 tournaments that cost hardly anything to play, but limited to a small amount (256? LOL) will only lead to people clam jam rushing the queues, rather than let everyone who wants and can enter, to enter.

Another year of failed attempts to be generous has passed. 
no-entry-requirement Planeswalker-format Constructed tournament on July 3! All players who play in this four-round, Swiss-pairings event will receive one Magic 2011 booster pack. All players who earn 12 match points by going undefeated will also receive any three Magic Online booster packs of their choice

To get the booster, can I join and when the first round start just concede the match and drop; will I still get the booster?
no-entry-requirement Planeswalker-format Constructed tournament on July 3! All players who play in this four-round, Swiss-pairings event will receive one Magic 2011 booster pack. All players who earn 12 match points by going undefeated will also receive any three Magic Online booster packs of their choice

To get the booster, can I join and when the first round start just concede the match and drop; will I still get the booster?

yes
proud member of the 2011 community team
Congrats on winning Community Team.

...ahh ty for the cradz?  

they are giftwrapped in a box right?

/me hopes
"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!
I'm reminded of a local furniture store's old promotion: "If the Red Sox won the World Series, your purchases from the last spring are free!! And don't worry, we bought insurance, so we're cheering for the Red Sox too!"

Of course they won, and the insurance company paid. The promotion has renewed every year since, but the terms have changed from year to year. Now the terms are something like "If a member of the Red Sox hits our sign with a homerun, and also hits this large painted baseball on the same sign, then your purchases are free as long as you bought them during these specific two promotional weeks." It's obviously very specific, and no one is getting any free furniture.

When Wizards said "Hey guys! Gold bordered prizes this year!" what they really meant was "ooooh man, we're going to get crushed so hard. None of us have the time to prepare for this event. Let's just trash talk instead." Maybe we need to let them win so they'll be less afraid to bet good prizes in the future?

I'm also in the "no gold bordered cards, please" group. Also MTGO, really? Four different gold bordered packs? What if honest customers buy those and expect them to work? You can't play real games of Magic with gold-bordered cards. That's why the paper people stopped selling them. It's deceptive. You're selling the Deck Builder's Essentials for $4.99, and some gold bordered cards for $4.99. Buy the black bordered cards, duh! It's not my problem but I can still be disspointed about it. I've warned all my friends to get the black bordered cards.
I think the whole thing would be solved if the MTGO client UI had an effective way of masking out things in your collection persitently. Perhaps they'll add that to the next client so that next time they give things away for the general population, that very vocal minorty that hangs around the forums is a little less annoyed and the most they can complain is: "I have to click on this option to hide those things I'm getting that I don't want!".

There is one thing that Wizards should be a little more careful about when giving free stuff. People can feel worse when getting something sucky than when getting nothing at all. For example, the life time rewards card you get for having 600 points is warmonger. Its not particularly useful or pretty so someone getting that and not Hero of Bladehold will probably feel duped. This planeswalker event probably has the same effect on many people, in addition to the fact that they might get these "annoying" cards in their binder.
For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!
This seems like a very neat event! And Congrats to the Community!  However, I won't be participating because of the fact that I don't want Untradeable cards in my collection.  Getting 1-2 free boosters is just not worth having the annoyance of having these cards in my collection for the rest of my account's life.  

well at least they are not removing cards from the accounts. they could easily say if the community team wins, we'd randomly remove rares and mythics from user accounts.

well at least they are not removing cards from the accounts. they could easily say if the community team wins, we'd randomly remove rares and mythics from user accounts.

Ridiculous back-handed compliment is ridiculous.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
...Getting 1-2 free boosters is just not worth having the annoyance of having these cards in my collection for the rest of my account's life.

If you go 3-0, you get 3 boosters of your choice. That's a pretty sweet deal. Wish I could play that day.

I don't mind the gold cards. I have so many cards from so many different sets that that tab gets lost in the shuffle.