6/22/2011 BoaB: "A Whole New World"

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Tezzeret's Gambit seems worthy of consideration in the Ascension list. Maybe over Forsees?
Yay for post Jace/stoneforge standard :D
Gives space for a lot more creative archetypes and yay for pyromancer ascension too ha, its gonna be sad leaving that deck once standard rotates, I've had that deck for a while

Also, I agree with chuckles, tezzerets gambit is actually really awesome in activating the ascension, I'd say the only problem I've had with tezzerets gambit is having a tezzys gambit in hand with no pyro ascension out and you need card draw, cause then it's like you want to save the gambit for once you get your ascension out to then actually activate it but then you also need card draw. Hard decisions lol,

Na but yeah, this should be pretty awesome, I'm sure well see at least a couple new decks out there in the metagame pretty soon

And imo, I think running kiln fiends is never a bad idea, I know in your lists you like to keep a creature-less deck, but I still feel kiln fiend was made for a deck like this, if anything it can be an alternate win condition even though it may appear a little clanky or even slow at times, but I mean, the synergy is there lol, he's even a good sideboard card as well -i think i may like deprive over spell pierce, but im not entirely sure yet

anways, -good stuff
I know this Building "on a Budget" - on the one hand, Moltensteel Dragon and Pelakka Wurm seem ripe for budget decks. On the other, I'd rather just play Titans with that mana, maybe a Wurmcoil or a Masticore..
The gist of this article was basically "Attack the new Standard by disrupting its manabase."

After a few brainstorming sessions I realized that all three of these decks struggled to beat land destruction spells. The decks seemed like they would flounder when facing a deck that had a dedicated suite of land destruction spells.

A few quick Gatherer searches revealed that the format doesn't have a ton of dedicated land destruction

Sadly, they've basically taken mana disruption out of the game. Remember the old 5-color Lorwyn decks? Their manabases were Reflecting Pool, Vivid Places, filter land, go. But with one well placed Stone Rain all of their lands would turn into Command Tower (T: do nothing) or Urza's Mine. But that possibility was denied to rogue deckbuilders. (Drain the Well was too slow.)

Then there was Jund. I'm just going to play all these lands that come into tapped, okay? I'm totally going to untap with them every single time? The Jund deck made playing UB on "turn two" (3) and BRG on "turn 3" (4) too consistent. Well, until people figured out to play Spreading Seas.

Deck builders need to be punished for being too greedy. It's not just those two old decks. New decks might play too few lands (20) or contain a weak splash only supported by a fetchland. (WuB Caw? Others?) Think of it this way. For any "normal deck" (not Dredge, etc) you can cheat on your manabase to make it less reliable, but make your deck stronger. The occasional LD spell teaches players not to "cheat", or punishes narrow builds. Four LD spells in the same game can always be cripping, but R&D has learned how to engineer formats where Draw Go is impossible to build. They can do the same for LD.

Real example: my favorite deck is Legacy Zoo. I'm very greedy - I fetch duals every turn and I need three different colors of mana. Common knowledge says that Wasteland is the nuts against Zoo. They'd be right, if I were playing the gassy 19 land version. But try it with 21 lands, half fetches. Actually, I originally had the two extra lands in the sideboard (for Wasteland), but I kept boarding them in so that's where they stayed. Now when someone Wastes one of my lands I shrug and continue running them over. The 1-for-1 doesn't change my tempo. Sure, I'm slightly weaker against decks without LD. But in Legacy Wasteland is super common.

I'm not saying that adding lands to any deck makes it better against LD, therefore LD is safe. That's dumb, and my Legacy Zoo deck isn't a generalization. I'm saying that LD should be thought of as a form legit form of 'hate', like Pithing Needle or Boil. But instead of hating an archetype, you're hating on greediness. LD has been made into a dirty word recently, but it does a world of good.
Sometime ago a transformation sideboard was discussed involving a deck. The Pyromancer Ascension deck can easily start off as either the Splinter Twin/Deceiver Exarch Deck or as a Pyromancer Ascension Deck. Both decks utilize virtually the same search cards to get the correct cards into play while filling up the graveyard.
I have faced this transformation and it was very unexpected. In game one I was hit with the infinite combo just before victory seemed in hand. My opponent was using the brainstorm ability from Jace the Mind Sculptor to help him assemble the combo, but there are still enough cards as demonstrated in the Pyromance Ascension deck to assemble the combo without the Planeswalker.
After I sideboarded, to disrupt the combo, however my opponent had removed the Splinter Twin and Deceiver Exarch and my milling of his library actually helped him fuel his Ascensions as he burned me with only three cards remaining in his library, especially with two Ascensions on the table.
Nevertheless, I believe that there are only limited strategies in dealing with this particular infinite combo, and even less so now that they can peak in your hand and cantrip when doing so with the new blue card from New Phyrexia - Gitaxian Probe, like some of the other "colorless spells - can be cast for life instead of the correct color of mana and can be inserted into almost any deck) has this card proliferating into other decks as much as "proliferate" is used after a player receives their first poison counter in place of damage or a permanent gets a counter.
If playing blue and you have counterspells you will have to play an attrition type strategy - playing slow and waiting until your mana builds on the table and always assuring you can cast as many counters as needed to prevent either Deceiver Exarch or Splinter Twin from reaching the table. Players who face such a deck and do not have a way to deal with the combo that is reliable will lose the match in frustration - it is as if two separate duels take place when you face this deck. Creature removal spells and so forth just sit in your hand when drawn. 
Finally, besides pointing out the possibility of a transformation deck combining Twins/Exarch and Ascension, although two overly powered cards had dominated Standard play in the very expensive decks, also of concern is that the DCI and WotC still has not released a set of standards by which it determines whether a card is broken in a format, especially Standard play. Some reasons were provided for banning the two cards, but WotC and the DCI still has very cleverly navigated around revealing a methodology that the playing community can expect the R & D at Wotc and decision makers within the DCI (affiliated with WotC) to apply in evaluating if a card is broken, especially after they begin receiving hundreds of e-mails from players. MtG players, I believe, want to believe that there are standards adhered to in determining if a card is 'broken" or is a "mistake", such as a way of determining if a card overcomes the randomness factor of playing a 60 card deck with no more than 4 copies of a single card other than basic lands. It was clear that the two banned cards did that and more for too little casting cost, etc, and then could use the additional abilities too easily. An opponent had to have had drawn resources in their opening hand to defeat the searching power or quickly went down in defeat as the controller of Stoneforge Mystic or Jace amassed serious card advantage or obtained specific cards in hand. The next step to prevent a similar impact on the game in the future is to establish some standards that can be adjusted as needed to make proper determinations regarding questioned cards.
Yay for post Jace/stoneforge standard :D
Gives space for a lot more creative archetypes and yay for pyromancer ascension too ha, its gonna be sad leaving that deck once standard rotates, I've had that deck for a while

Also, I agree with chuckles, tezzerets gambit is actually really awesome in activating the ascension, I'd say the only problem I've had with tezzerets gambit is having a tezzys gambit in hand with no pyro ascension out and you need card draw, cause then it's like you want to save the gambit for once you get your ascension out to then actually activate it but then you also need card draw. Hard decisions lol,

Na but yeah, this should be pretty awesome, I'm sure well see at least a couple new decks out there in the metagame pretty soon

And imo, I think running kiln fiends is never a bad idea, I know in your lists you like to keep a creature-less deck, but I still feel kiln fiend was made for a deck like this, if anything it can be an alternate win condition even though it may appear a little clanky or even slow at times, but I mean, the synergy is there lol, he's even a good sideboard card as well -i think i may like deprive over spell pierce, but im not entirely sure yet

anways, -good stuff

I like the Kiln Fiend as part of a transformation sideboard....transforming to a deck with Splinter Twins, Deceiver Exarchs and Kiln Fiends or playing the first game with this sideboard first can unnerve your opponent....but as you are close to casting Deceiver Exarch at the end of your opponent's turn in order to cast Splinter Twin when your turn begins in your 1st main phase, by casting Kiln Fiend one can get their opponent to tap out in order to respond to the threat of a possible 13 points of damage if two Lightning Bolts are cast for example which protects your combo even if you do not have a counterspell like Manaleak or Spell Pierce in hand or don't have a Gitaxian Probe in hand to look in the opponent's hand either. That would be 12 cards which leaves room for spells to counter Valakut/Primeval Titan - run 3x Kiln Fiend and 4x copies of Flashfreeze. 
Just prior to reading this article I was working on a Pyro Twin deck idea. I would really like to combine Pyromancer Ascension with Exarch Twins, but I'm wondering if it's doable or best left as seperate decks.

Here's the decklist I was toying with, would love to here any comments or improvements. (I just got back into Magic from a decade long break, so standard format is new to me as are the "newer" cards. Last expansion I was around for was Weatherlight.)

Honestly, I hate that HateBrew list.  I'm sorry, but having multiple 4cc and 5cc spells with only 8 accelerators isn't going to work.  Casting a LD spell on turn 5 as your first spell of the game is not win.  I don't see how SplinterTwin "struggles against land destruction spells" when LD spells these days cost 5 and SplinterTwin is capable of winning on turn 4.  Also, did anyone else notice it was packing 62 cards?

As far as the pyromancer ascension deck goes...meh.  Been there, done that.  Any deck with that much draw and counters has a decent shot against big green decks like Valakut and Eldrazi and has the disruptive potential to beat SplinterTwin.  It has a solid wincon.  It's a cool deck...but it seems like JVL takes every single opportunity available to showcase it.  It's a good deck.  Got it.  I don't think that we need to keep revisiting it every month on this column.

A transformative Splintertwin sideboard seems like a cool addition to the deck.  And of course, if your opponent sides out all of his removal, an early Kiln Fiend kill (assuming you sub it in) would be very possible.  Other than that, I don't really see any significant additions to the deck.       
Mimic Vat seems awfully good in the first deck with all those EtB critters. Maybe instead of the Dragon?
I'm not as sold on Moltensteel Dragon. Pelakka Wurm seems like a superior option in pretty much all cases. I mean, the only time Moltensteel trumps it is when there's a titan in the way, and if that's the case you're probably playing against Valakut, and if you're against Valakut you don't want to be spending life willy-nilly.
You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
Moltensteel Dragon comes down 3 turns earlier than Pelakaa Wurm. With a T2 ramp, in exteme cases Moltensteel will be swinging for 16 dmg on T4 (4 base, 5 from mana pump, 7 from life loss pump)

If its still around when you drop a Pelakka wurm you use the 7 life gain to pay for more activations of the fire breathing.
The gist of this article was basically "Attack the new Standard by disrupting its manabase."

After a few brainstorming sessions I realized that all three of these decks struggled to beat land destruction spells. The decks seemed like they would flounder when facing a deck that had a dedicated suite of land destruction spells.

A few quick Gatherer searches revealed that the format doesn't have a ton of dedicated land destruction

Sadly, they've basically taken mana disruption out of the game. Remember the old 5-color Lorwyn decks? Their manabases were Reflecting Pool, Vivid Places, filter land, go. But with one well placed Stone Rain all of their lands would turn into Command Tower (T: do nothing) or Urza's Mine. But that possibility was denied to rogue deckbuilders. (Drain the Well was too slow.)

Then there was Jund. I'm just going to play all these lands that come into tapped, okay? I'm totally going to untap with them every single time? The Jund deck made playing UB on "turn two" (3) and BRG on "turn 3" (4) too consistent. Well, until people figured out to play Spreading Seas.

Deck builders need to be punished for being too greedy. It's not just those two old decks. New decks might play too few lands (20) or contain a weak splash only supported by a fetchland. (WuB Caw? Others?) Think of it this way. For any "normal deck" (not Dredge, etc) you can cheat on your manabase to make it less reliable, but make your deck stronger. The occasional LD spell teaches players not to "cheat", or punishes narrow builds. Four LD spells in the same game can always be cripping, but R&D has learned how to engineer formats where Draw Go is impossible to build. They can do the same for LD.

Real example: my favorite deck is Legacy Zoo. I'm very greedy - I fetch duals every turn and I need three different colors of mana. Common knowledge says that Wasteland is the nuts against Zoo. They'd be right, if I were playing the gassy 19 land version. But try it with 21 lands, half fetches. Actually, I originally had the two extra lands in the sideboard (for Wasteland), but I kept boarding them in so that's where they stayed. Now when someone Wastes one of my lands I shrug and continue running them over. The 1-for-1 doesn't change my tempo. Sure, I'm slightly weaker against decks without LD. But in Legacy Wasteland is super common.

I'm not saying that adding lands to any deck makes it better against LD, therefore LD is safe. That's dumb, and my Legacy Zoo deck isn't a generalization. I'm saying that LD should be thought of as a form legit form of 'hate', like Pithing Needle or Boil. But instead of hating an archetype, you're hating on greediness. LD has been made into a dirty word recently, but it does a world of good.

Land Destruction cards are like the wicked step child in MtG. WotC R & D isn't quite sure what to do with it so it is kept in the attic. To introduce a spell that could remove a planeswalker once it is in play they had to create a card using "permanent" in the text, which allows it to be used also as a land destruction spell. If a planeswalker destruction spell didn't have enough utility it would be mostly regulated to a sideboard card.
Magic the Gathering's R & D has like a split personality. The last really good creature card that supported land destruction was Army Ants. This is just my speculation, but certain designers who favored land destruction as a viable method of control as much as counter spells or creature destruction spells  may have left the fold or have lost their influence. Also the group of lucky persons who playtest proxy cards, etc., may also have a negative predisposition toward land destruction.
But the designers wanted to promote decks that utilized multiple colors of spells - wanted to increase the combinations...believing that it promotes creativity, creates "fun" and creates the atmosphere from becoming stale. Refer the the latest article by R & D explaing the reasoning that finally prompted it to ban Stoneforge Mystic and Jace the Mind Sculptor. The Zendicar block is a perfect example with so many dual fetch lands and dual colored man-lands it created. The issue is this...if R & D promotes the building of multiple color decks, but then makes color hoses, which land destruction acts like by targeting one type of mana producer first, very painful as it thwarts using multi-colored decks by targeting one type of mana. R & D has been hit over the head with this issue and so most spells that can destroy a land cost four or more mana to cast to reduce their disruptiveness and their control. But it has also led to a block with an excessive number of fetch lands which dramatically impact the "randomness" of the game. Just 8 cards in a deck that replace themselves by "searching" the library alter probabilities very significantly which significantly improves the "top decking" of those decks, especially in the larger events where players compete in more matches than they do at Friday Night magic types of events. Besides getting the specific basic land needed, these cards "thin" a deck. Thinning means you reduce the probability of drawing a land as a game progresses - it reduces the chances of hitting the dreaded "mana pocket".  
The release of M12, for example, will be revealing to a certain extent, regarding what the R & D and play testors are aiming for...because in the fall in time for the holiday shopping season a new block will rotate in and Zendicar rotates out - a huge number of fetch lands and man-lands will be gone.
The infect land will be left and will be a nagging question for players to build decks that they cannot ignore.
But the dichotomy between mono-colored and mult-colored and the creativity by merging colors and mechanics poses a quandry for R & D in maintaining Land Destruction as a viable deck strategy in as much as R & D wrestled with blue control and essentially removed a simple counter spell that costs two blue mana. Any kind of alternative mana producer, i.e. an artifact that produces mana, and can be played on turn two, allows a player to utilize a land destruction spell, however, that costs four mana on turn 3. With the ability to play creatures with less fear of bounce that cost four or five mana, besides Titans etc., as the Building on a Budget column's article pointed out in the new (but very short current standard environment which has very few major events in which to employ the new decks in) standard environment they can be incorporated into the deck and be played early to as well by utilizing an alternative mana producer that costs 2. A player may take a mulligan if he or she does not draw an alternative source of mana as it increases the speed of playing their larger spells. With infect and red deck wins being very fast it is risky to be caught with a hand full of fat spells that cost four or more mana and only three mana available on turn 4.
Players wrestle to find viable strategies and R & D struggles to keep the game crisp and fun.
The last really good creature card that supported land destruction was Army Ants.

You're joking, right?

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Yes indeed, new standard is going to be sweet!

The R/G deck is going to be vulnerable to all the sideboard hate for the red/green combo decks. Guess what budget sideboard win condition just got better? Terra Stomper! 8/8 trampler for 6 mana that cant be Flashfreeze'd/Mana Leaked? Nice.

I bet the viable creature card pool for Standard just trebled.
It's also worth noting that reading this article's title conjured up (for me at least) an image of Jacob soulfully singing the song from Aladdin, complete with Jasmine's voice and everything. 

I expect reimbursement for the brain bleach I had to purchase! 
You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
I tried out the LD deck on MODO for a bit, and really struggled to make it work consistently (not surprisingly I suppose). When you're cheapest LD spell is a Winter's Grasp that tosses your opponent a 3/3 for free, you know you've gone astray already. Also, I feel as though there are one or two more lands than really necessary, and that having two 2-drop accelerators is a bad idea. I tried the following list with marginally more success (changes are highlighted):

Lands (25)

5 Forest
4 Mountain
4  Kazandu Refuge
4 Copperline Ridge
4  Raging Ravine
4  Tectonic Edge

Creatures (22)

4 Birds of Paradise
4  Acidic Slime
4  Invader Parasite
3  Moltensteel Dragon
4  Overgrown Battlement
3  Pelakka Wurm

Spells (13)

4  Beast Within
1  Explore
4  Lightning Bolt
4  Slagstorm

Any suggestions (of the unsardonic variety) from anyone to make this one better? I feel like Wurmcoil Engine or Inferno Titan instead of Pelakka Wurm would make this deck a bit more dangerous. Gaea's Avenger perhaps? Maybe a better acceleration path is Joraga Treespeaker + Battlement? Maybe with M12's Tectonic Rift this deck gets very slightly better.

The Moltensteel Dragons and the Raging Ravines are definitely the stars of this deck. After Slagstorm they pretty much clean up.

I had the idea that Fling could be utilized late game to get that extra reach against a defensive opponent, which interacts well with the dragon and the wurm (pump whatever extra mana you have into the phyrebreathing or draw a card off the wurm's death). Probably stictly sideboard, but it definitely has potential.
I tried out the LD deck on MODO for a bit, and really struggled to make it work consistently (not surprisingly I suppose). When you're cheapest LD spell is a Winter's Grasp that tosses your opponent a 3/3 for free, you know you've gone astray already. Also, I feel as though there are one or two more lands than really necessary, and that having two 2-drop accelerators is a bad idea. I tried the following list with marginally more success (changes are highlighted):

Lands (25)

5 Forest
4 Mountain
4  Kazandu Refuge
4 Copperline Ridge
4  Raging Ravine
4  Tectonic Edge

Creatures (22)

4 Birds of Paradise
4  Acidic Slime
4  Invader Parasite
3  Moltensteel Dragon
4  Overgrown Battlement
3  Pelakka Wurm

Spells (13)

4  Beast Within
1  Explore
4  Lightning Bolt
4  Slagstorm

Any suggestions (of the unsardonic variety) from anyone to make this one better? I feel like Wurmcoil Engine or Inferno Titan instead of Pelakka Wurm would make this deck a bit more dangerous. Gaea's Avenger perhaps? Maybe a better acceleration path is Joraga Treespeaker + Battlement? Maybe with M12's Tectonic Rift this deck gets very slightly better.

The Moltensteel Dragons and the Raging Ravines are definitely the stars of this deck. After Slagstorm they pretty much clean up.

Hi, your verson has 6 accellerators - all green - 8 are creatres, and 4 are spells, but 8 are 2 mana costs. Birds of Paradise and Overgrown Battlement, which other mana accelerator decks have used avoid fork bolt and the other red spell that can remove tow permanents with one card (card advantage). And the explore is good since it is a mana ramp card and cantrip combined. The point is that it is important to cast a land destruction spell on turn three in order to limit your opponent from getting a key creature onto the battlefield. But as pointed out by an earlier poster, since all your mana accelerators and mana ramps are green they will be subject to green counter magic which will disrupt your land destruction before it has an impact early enough. Also blue has the new counterspell that counters creature spells for only two mana which will further disarm this type of deck.
That is why I prefer some artifact mana. Also, inexperieced players tend to jump on the first artifact they see and destroy it then wish they had held their artifact destruction spell for your MoltenSteel Dragon.
I like the green enchantment that keeps your opponent from targeting your creatures with spells or abilities and forces them to have cards to deal with it first which interupts their deck.
A little disturbing, even suspicious, is that it seems that at FNM events where there aren't deck checks or deck lists is that "magically" sideboard cards are in the main deck of game 1 of a match. Online games do not see this because the computer prevents any issues and it is impossible to know, generally, what type of deck your opponet is using before the duel begins in an online event.