6/22/2011 StF: "Fifteen Commanders, Fifteen Tales"

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

oh if only every question of the week was this awesome
I actually had the same thought, myself, a while back.  And managed to get someone to actually draw the thing, too

I only got the Counterpunch deck, but I really, really liked the insert that came with it explaining Ghave's origins. At first I thought it seemed a bit cliché (Humans are the bad guys?), but a second reading made me laugh: no livestock for meat, no crops for vegetarian options, but look! Mushrooms in the forest. Unfortunately, sentient mushrooms that wipe out surviving human life as revenge for this "genocide". Makes me genuinely more happy to have Ghave as my "Commander", mammal that I am.
There was no need to include any kind of story, but I am grateful and happy they did. Riku's is just as good, as is Edric's. Kudos to whoever wrote these.

Re: Living Weapon monstrosity; that thing would manage to dominate Standard AND Limited! Also looks way cooler than it has a right to. Perhaps one day we'll see an equipment consisting of every LW equipment stapled together with mana cost 34, equip cost 25, Living Weapon, and granting vigilance, lifelink, reach, haste, flying, and +14+X+Y/+15+X+Y. That sounds terrible, actually. But mark it down to 15, equip 10 and call it Akroma's Spider Lhurgoyf Rapestick and we'd be in business. Don't kid yourself, though, three days ago the unaltered version would have seen standard play.
IMAGE(http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l152/CommanderJim/Germ.jpg)

I couldn't resist. :P

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

I would have preferred if you had autolinks to the cards in question.  You really can't even tell if the flavor is fitting if you don't know what the card does.
Yes, no autolinks seemed a little...weird.
The question of the week is practically begging for a wallpaper.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
I couldn't resist. :P

Me neither!

IMAGE(http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn150/Soundpolitic/MetalGear.jpg)

Ruhan defies every rule, every expectation, every stricture meant to hold him. He was born blind, but chose a life of war. He was trained by famed Fomori swordmasters, but chose his own deadly great-mace. His elders form alliances, but his allegiance is to none but his own whim.

How is this guy blue? 
Great Letter of the week! and I really like the art that came from it but just one critical note: I think I am missing sickleslicer in the art.

On the rest of the article: I really like the background stories for the legendary creatures, some even make me wish that we might one day visit their respective planes!
.....aaaaaaaaaaand +1/+1 for each Swamp you control. Come on, no love for Lashwrithe?
They should have had a "living weapon" spirit of Memnarch token, like the one for the shield, sword and helm.... If you attach 4 more LE Equipment, the Germ gets upgraded to ledendary & indestructible.
The new legends + descriptions gave off a very Dota feel (Or HoN if you prefer), which I kind of like.  They feel a bit like heroes taken from across existance to battle each other, or something like that, I don't know.  I really like the feel of the whole thing though. 
Greatest Letter of the week/sign-off sentence in all of StF history? Methinks yes.

Also, some of these bios were excellent. I hope we get to visit some of these locales in future expansions, especially Drakkus - sounds like a Fallen Empires-inspired place, which would be awesome. 
You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
These vignettes made me happy, especially Mr. Mime's mention of Muraganda, a plane that I grow increasingly inclined to believe will get a set someday.  I was a little sad they didn't also mention Ir as the home of Ruhan the Fomori, but you can't have everything.  And I thought Kaalia was random and dumb originally, but her story actually makes a neat kind of sense - she's not a random mashup of three creature types that have nothing in common other than being iconic, as I originally thought.  She's "Apocalypse Girl", and that makes perfect sense for the colors.  So major props there.

Before this article, I liked Animar, Nin, Zedruu, and marginally Mimeoplasm and Skullbriar.  But in the wake of these vignettes, one of which even made boring old Basandra into something subtly cool, the only ones that I remain unimpressed with are Tariel, Riku, Vish Kal and Ruhan (and I wasn't expecting to be impressed with Ruhan, he's just a dork - although I would like to see some explanation of what the holy hell makes him white or blue, he isn't even a jotun which would make it aesthetically appropriate, and I can't even imagine an explanation related to color pie philosophy which could possibly justify him being anything other than pure red with maybe a drop of each ally color).  11 out of 15 is a pretty dang good ratio for this work.

Almost makes me wish I could stand to pay $150 for the decks (I could never bring myself to buy less than a full set of five).  But I really can't, and they're all singletons that I mostly don't need so the temptation is not grand.  Still, an enjoyable couple of weeks reading about the danged thing, and I hope it proves successful so that we'll see more releases of such quality.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi

Ruhan defies every rule, every expectation, every stricture meant to hold him. He was born blind, but chose a life of war. He was trained by famed Fomori swordmasters, but chose his own deadly great-mace. His elders form alliances, but his allegiance is to none but his own whim.

Yeah.. Ruhan is really lame for the colors. I guess they looked at it like Politcal Puppets had the General in which the deck was built around (Zedruu), and of course the dragon legend (which every deck received), and then realized the deck had no way or really contending in a 1v1 game. Thusly came Ruhan..

His back story seems to imply that he came from a White-aligned culture ("..his elders form alliances.."), but lives a very Red-aligned life style ("..[he] chose a life of war.."). Nowhere in there, however, do I see a hint of Blue.

UNLESS!!!

By george I've got it!! Ruhan is a reincarnate of Blind Seer!!! It all makes sense now!! Blind Seer is both Blue and blind. So is Ruhan! Blind Seer can change the color of things, even if it makes absolutely no sense (a white Demon?). And since Ruhan is the epitomy of Red, it only makes sense that Blind Seer was so angry about dying, that the anger consumed his rational and state of mind. Henceforth, a Blue spellmage made himself White in an attempt to avoid Deathmark. Since Blind Seer is.. well.. blind, he coulnd't see that it was actually a Doom Blade. The error of his ways made him so angry at the world that his own inner magic manifested itself into a Red being. Thusly came Ruhan.. Something that only a Blind Seer could create
These vignettes made me happy, especially Mr. Mime's mention of Muraganda, a plane that I grow increasingly inclined to believe will get a set someday.  I was a little sad they didn't also mention Ir as the home of Ruhan the Fomori, but you can't have everything.  And I thought Kaalia was random and dumb originally, but her story actually makes a neat kind of sense - she's not a random mashup of three creature types that have nothing in common other than being iconic, as I originally thought.  She's "Apocalypse Girl", and that makes perfect sense for the colors.  So major props there.

Before this article, I liked Animar, Nin, Zedruu, and marginally Mimeoplasm and Skullbriar.  But in the wake of these vignettes, one of which even made boring old Basandra into something subtly cool, the only ones that I remain unimpressed with are Tariel, Riku, Vish Kal and Ruhan (and I wasn't expecting to be impressed with Ruhan, he's just a dork - although I would like to see some explanation of what the holy hell makes him white or blue, he isn't even a jotun which would make it aesthetically appropriate, and I can't even imagine an explanation related to color pie philosophy which could possibly justify him being anything other than pure red with maybe a drop of each ally color).  11 out of 15 is a pretty dang good ratio for this work.

Almost makes me wish I could stand to pay $150 for the decks (I could never bring myself to buy less than a full set of five).  But I really can't, and they're all singletons that I mostly don't need so the temptation is not grand.  Still, an enjoyable couple of weeks reading about the danged thing, and I hope it proves successful so that we'll see more releases of such quality.

Tariel I agree was kind of underwhelming, but Riku's actually sounds kind of badass. It feels like the character bio for a pilot someone would try to pitch. If that ever happened, I'd watch the hell out of that show.
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
Is Vish Kal picking his nose?    Looks like it to me.  Maybe he's just using glass beads for +1/+1 counters & hiding them in there before launching them at the wicked? Smile
Is Vish Kal picking his nose?    Looks like it to me.  Maybe he's just using glass beads for +1/+1 counters & hiding them in there before launching them at the wicked? Smile

Depending on the number of beads he's got shoved up there, that would do a good job of explaining the bloodstains he's got on his throne.
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
Depending on the number of beads he's got shoved up there, that would do a good job of explaining the bloodstains he's got on his throne.

He's a vampire and you need an explanation for the blood on his throne?

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

People looking for some explanation as to why Ruhan is white and blue should re-read his bio.

"Ruhan defies every rule, every expectation, every stricture meant to hold him."

;)

He's a vampire and you need an explanation for the blood on his throne?

Well of course the obvious conclusion is that he's a very messy eater, but if he's cramming glass beads up his nose to then snort forcefully at his enemies, that's bound to cause a fair amount of sinus damage. Which is my point
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
Ok, the thought of all the living weapons jumbled together into one huge monstrosity was brilliant. My one problem is the sheer lack of Lashwrithe! I should know its missing, it's the only living weapon I own!
Kingofgames01 a.k.a. Dr.Kog I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Quotes
112912639 wrote:
111004049 wrote:
111489681 wrote:
Be on later, pumping iron now
Pimping Irene? Poor Irene! Why can't you just leave that poor girl alone? She didn't ask for ANY of this!
Yeah she did. Did you see what she wore? Purple *graped*
Always glad to see character bios, but now I've changed my mind: I don't like the idea of new cards in a product like this. I wish there was a way I could just buy the new cards and not have to drop $150 big ones on all five decks. 

I suppose I could break down and buy a couple of them as singles, but I really would like an alternative method of buying them.

Great letter of the week, always amusing to see the horrifying depths this game is capable of  
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
I just want to whine that they could have had these character bios (which are in the inserts for commander decks) as cards of the day over the course of a few weeks instead of as an article. I would've liked to see something else.

But, the Voltron living weapon is epic. 

(at)MrEnglish22

People looking for some explanation as to why Ruhan is white and blue should re-read his bio.

"Ruhan defies every rule, every expectation, every stricture meant to hold him."

;)

Yes, and a white-blue character would virtually never do that.  To quote milo_bloom's signature, see if this sounds right:  "Ruhan of the fomori is both lawful and rational.  He is extremely orderly, and relies on complex rules and laws, upholding him whenever he can.  At best he is organized and law-abiding; at worst, he is bureaucratic and totalitarian."

Now, does a guy who attacks random opponents every turn sound like that?  "Totalitarian" maybe, but everything else is a clear misfit.
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Tariel I agree was kind of underwhelming, but Riku's actually sounds kind of badass. It feels like the character bio for a pilot someone would try to pitch. If that ever happened, I'd watch the hell out of that show.

Riku just seems kind of random to me.  Why does he "study magic and life"; what do those things have in common that would make him take an interest in them above all other subjects.  And if he can clone himself, why did he just make one alternate; why not an entire army of himself to conquer the world, having proven that it's possible?  And most importantly, why is he "TWO REFLECTIONS" and not "ONE DUDE AND HIS REFLECTION"???  It just seems like they were kinda out of ideas by the time they got to him (and Ruhan; Vish Kaal I think I'm actually warming up to with a bit of thought).

Riku just seems kind of random to me.  Why does he "study magic and life"; what do those things have in common that would make him take an interest in them above all other subjects.  And if he can clone himself, why did he just make one alternate; why not an entire army of himself to conquer the world, having proven that it's possible?  And most importantly, why is he "TWO REFLECTIONS" and not "ONE DUDE AND HIS REFLECTION"???  It just seems like they were kinda out of ideas by the time they got to him (and Ruhan; Vish Kaal I think I'm actually warming up to with a bit of thought).

I believe "two reflections" refers to his two doubling abilities. Both him and his reflection are themselves capable of producing reflections.
So, where's my ultimately spliced Pherexian Golem? I've been dying for one ever since I started working on an awesome Pherexian Golem deck.
Thinking more about Riku, am beginning to find him cool.  I think I can write an expanded backstory which contains information not implied by his vignette but which drastically ups the scale of it, and that will suffice to make him seem non-random to me.  Part of this idea might involve left and right halves of the brain, I haven't decided.

PS - On the Voltron thing, did no one realize that Flayer Husk is one hand and Pincerpouncer the other?

;)

Yes, and a white-blue character would virtually never do that.  To quote milo_bloom's signature, see if this sounds right:  "Ruhan of the fomori is both lawful and rational.  He is extremely orderly, and relies on complex rules and laws, upholding him whenever he can.  At best he is organized and law-abiding; at worst, he is bureaucratic and totalitarian."

Now, does a guy who attacks random opponents every turn sound like that?  "Totalitarian" maybe, but everything else is a clear misfit.

You know how in multiplayer games, players would, for one reason or another, focus their attacks on one guy. Ruhan ain't like that. He doesn't takes sides, he's unfettered by allegiance. He's got that white in him that makes fights fair by fighting everyone equally. That's also what makes him blue too, because since he's not taking sides (and blind) it's a good political excuse for others to not team up on you ("Hey, it's not my fault I'm attacking you. Ruhan's just like that."). Combine that with the recklessness with red and you got one badass mother-effer.

That, and it's AMERICAN COLORS BABY! What else would they do besides [troll]taking out their own buildings?[/trollumad]

Ruhan and Zedruu seem respectively like the red half and the "cyan" half of a single URW person; Zedruu is only red in the sense of being a minotaur (and not even a bull-headed minotaur; if there were antelope minotaurs I would be more inclined to make them white rather than red, even though pretty much all ungulates do the "bull-headed" thing, because none of them do it as well as male bovines), and Ruhan would only have been blue-white in the sense of an Arctic Fortress if they had in fact made him a frost giant.  (Which I'm especially sad they didn't given that there's a card in M12 which specifically depicts a frost giant.)  Between them, they reflect these colors neatly, but neither one really works on its own as an exemplar of these colors.

Which, combined with the fact that the deck's theme is "politics", a theme that could have been behind any deck in an inherently political format...I kind of get the impression that they just didn't know what else to do with these colors.  This is a pity to me, because to me the tie between them is absurdly obvious - they are the anti-nature, anti-realism, anti-pragmatic, anti-acceptance-of-the-inevitable colors.  Red's shortsighted mindset, blue's "anything is possible" attitude, and white's attachment to the idea of working together to build something greater than oneself - all add up to the idea that the world is to be turned into what you want it to be, rather than dealt with as it actually exists.  Green and black are the colors of nature and reality, green being the hippy-spirituality version and black the "lions eat zebras so I'm sure as hell gonna be a lion" perspective, but both come with the idea that there are certain unarguable facts you just have to deal with, whether the idea that nature is bigger than you or the fact that trying to weasel out of a demon-pact is a really, really bad idea.  Red is pure, petulant "I don't hafta if I don't wanna" selfishness, and blue believes any rule can be broken with enough time and effort, and white upholds ideals as being more important than any individual - all of these neatly add up nicely to an idealistic whole.
I would have preferred if you had autolinks to the cards in question.  You really can't even tell if the flavor is fitting if you don't know what the card does.

I originally wondered about that too, but actually the name of the card under each image is a live link.  If you hover over it, it will pop up the card and you can read what it does.

(I kind of miss the web when all links were blue and you didn't have to wave your mouse around everywhere.  Unfortunately, the era of "mystery meat" navigation is upon us.)

The Voltron Living Weapon was awesome - a nice callback to the Chimera cycle (Tin-wing Chimera, etc.).  The mortarpod sticking out of the mouth made me laugh.
Ruhan and Zedruu seem respectively like the red half and the "cyan" half of a single URW person; Zedruu is only red in the sense of being a minotaur

On Zedruu:

Her red aspect is the Donate ability, as red now has access to this in the color pie (see Bazaar Trader).  The card draw and life gain are blue and white, respectively.

On Ruhan:

I think the flavor of him is not necessarily that he attacks randomly, but that he decides who he will attack and his decision-making process is convoluted enough that it appears random to everyone else.

So red = Uncontrollable aggression.
White = He's fair in deciding who he will attack
Blue = His decision-making process is needlessly complex
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm
Flavorwise, Zedruu is red because she listens to her emotions and nearly sacrificed herself out of love for her people. That's why she's called "the Greathearted"

Red doesn't have to be all "Rawr, smash!" It can be based on different kind of emotions.

I am disinclined to treat Bazaar Trader as a precedent.  I think it's red because "oh hey, Goblins are so dumb they'll trade a Fire Diamond for a handful of rocks".  I think Donate is still firmly blue; red is a color of simple motivations, it doesn't try to be tricky and come up with reasons why it would spend its own card advantage to get rid of permanents it paid for.  Blue is the "gotcha" color that would get into them.

The red-as-love idea comes closer to making sense, but I think love is still also white in pie (though Basandra proves that combination isn't always a lovey-dovey one).

Interesting thought on Ruhan.  Neat idea.  Don't know if I quite buy it, but it's a start.  The question is, did Wizards come up with any of these reasons or did they just count on us to do it.

I hope there are plans to explore these characters, be it in future sets, novels, or webcomics.
I've been playing (with some gaps) since the late 90's. Land Destruction can be fun! I really don't get the Command Tower backlash.
Ruhan and Zedruu seem respectively like the red half and the "cyan" half of a single URW person; Zedruu is only red in the sense of being a minotaur

On Zedruu:

Her red aspect is the Donate ability, as red now has access to this in the color pie (see Bazaar Trader).  The card draw and life gain are blue and white, respectively.

On Ruhan:

I think the flavor of him is not necessarily that he attacks randomly, but that he decides who he will attack and his decision-making process is convoluted enough that it appears random to everyone else.

I think that's a good take on it. I've personally always seen URW as being the color of philosophers. I was actually extremely pleased with Zedruu when she revealed as a political diplomat is right there with them. Yeah, she enjoys the structure and codes of diplomacy, that UW, but she also enjoys the freedom it gives and her ability to make her own path and believe what she chooses. Order's important to her, but its not indisputable. She works within a structure, but follows her own philosophical path.

It's tougher for Ruhan, but I think he's an anarchist philosopher. All of the points you made definitely hold true, but the other way to look at it is that he's deliberately subverting expectations at every turn. While this is obviously a red trait, a philosophical state of mind as opposed to an oppositional defiant personality would add an aspect of UW. Furthermore, he's a blind warrior. Brute force does nothing if you can't hit your foe. To fight with no sight, you need to be highly disciplined, even if you don't show it. White. If you can't see your enemy, then you'll need to out think them to beat them. Blue. If you've been blind from birth, to prove to every foe you are the ultimate badass, you fight everyone. Red. I think a lot of thought went into justifying Ruhan, and he is ironically one the subtlest of the Generals.

On Zedruu:

On Ruhan:

On Zedruu ... Red does not get Donate effects (give you something). That's blue, and is part of the "exchange control" aspects of several blue only cards. Red gets steal effects, as in Threaten; the trick is that Bazaar Trader is an exploit of this, and it is the only possible reason to put this effect in Red, because it doesn't give someone else something, it makes someone control the thing. Steal, then own the thing, again and again. Bringer of the Red Dawn and all the other "steal" creatures want Bazaar Trader or else sacrifice for huge benefit outlets like Greater Good.

On Ruhan ... he's White and Blue largely because of his body size: Together, they allow a 7/7 for four. It's okay for him to attack (he can never attack you, unless you Donate him, which he can't see coming), because you're safe, and thus his P/T can be cranked up a few notches (not just due to red) but because W/U both get huge toughness, while R/W get huge power. So he fits all those constants. R/W get Giants, and that's another bonus. Sunrise Sovereign likes him, as does Stinkdrinker Daredevil.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

;)

Ruhan defies every rule, every expectation, every stricture meant to hold him...  including the color pie.