does Prison of Salzacas require a free hand to activate?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Do you need a free hand to activate Prison of Salzacas? Or does it just have to be somewhere on your body?

Specifically, I want to do the following:

weapon in main hand, heavy shield in off hand, potion in backpack
minor: activate Prison of Salzacas to move weapon into sheath and simultaneously move potion into hand
minor: quaff potion

Basically, saves a minor over having to sheathe weapon then get potion from backpack. But, this only works if you can activate the Prison without needing to get it into your hand first.

Prison of Salzacas

Show
Prison of Salzacas
Level 2 Uncommon

The spirit bound within this rune-scribed black metal flask manipulates objects at your command.

Price: 520 gp
Wondrous Item

Power (Encounter * Conjuration): Minor Action. You conjure the spirit contained within the prison in an unoccupied space within 10 squares of you. The spirit can pick up, move, or manipulate an object adjacent to it weighing 20 pounds or less and can carry it 10 squares. If you’re holding the object when you use this power, the spirit can move the object into a pack, a pouch, a sheath, or a similar container and simultaneously move any one object carried or worn anywhere on your body into your hand.
As a move action, you can move the spirit 10 squares. As a free action, you can cause the spirit to drop an object it’s holding. As a minor action, you can cause the spirit to pick up or manipulate a different object.
Sustain Minor: The spirit persists.

No it doesn't say it needs to be held, so the order should go something like this:

Minor action to activate Prison, having weapon sheathed and potion put in hand.
Convert move to minor to drink potion
Convert standard to minor to unsheath weapon.

Or if you have the Quick Draw feat you can unsheath weapon as part of the attack for your standard.
Wondrous items never need a hand unless explicitly specified. So you can even blow the Whistle of Alarm while it is in your pocket.
Thanks, guys.

You can also use a magic Scabbard (Ruby, etc.) to draw-and-attack after the potion.
I just got one of these so I can grab things from our story that might control our minds upon contact.
Something I was just thinking is that you conjure this thing, and it fills a square... For a minor you could conjure something to interfere w/ enemies gaining combat advantage through flanking. 
Sign In to post comments