Templar Changes

123 posts / 0 new
Last post
They have updated the compendium with the newest Templar changes.  Here is a link to the updated templar documents.

Here is what I have found so far (I will check all the ones that got reduced in april):

Features:
Turn Undead has a burst 2/3/5 now and does 1d10/2d10/3d10 + wis (it was 1d8/2d8/3d8 + wis)

Powers:
Consecrated Ground stayed the Same
Flame Strike back to being party friendly
Divine power still has the same regeneration restriction (it was stealth errated to only work while bloodied)
Seal of warding the same
Enthrall stayed the same
Fire storm is back to being party friendly
Healing torch got another 1d8 of damage
Sacred Word went from burst 1 to burst 2 (pretemplar was burst 5)
Astral storm looks like it stayed the same is back to being party friendly

paragon paths/powers
Astral wave went from burst 1 to burst 2 (pretemplar was burst 8)
Radiant brilliance stayed the same
Warpriest Challenge is no longer 1/encounter, but once again requires an at will melee attack (a lot of people will be happy with that.  It reverted back to the original wording from PHB1)
Terryfying insight still has the (RAW incorrect) wording that it only works with cleric/DO attacks, even though the official word was this was an errata that they backed out of and it was never published.

Feats
Pacifist healer now works with healing word again, but no longer has the clarified stunning trigger rules.  They used the old confusing original wording.
Beatific healer fixed to work with healing word

I have updated my handbook: Flame strike, fire storm, sacred word, and astral storm all got bumped up to a higher rating than what they had post templar article.
They have updated the compendium with the newest Templar changes.

Here is what I have found (I will check all the changed powers):

Turn Undead has a burst 2/3/5 now
Enthrall stayed the same

Are you saying these are changes compared to what was presented in the original article?
Yeah, it's an early look at the update to the update later this month.  If only someone were to scrape through the Compendium to do it.
Yes, until a few minutes ago the compendium reflected the original Templar article.  What I have posted is what is in the compendium now.  Gone through most of it so far.
Wow that's good news. Really good news. At least wizards learn from errors, it seems.

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/14.jpg)

I think that is everything.
Tactical Warpriest marks till the end of the enounter.  Limited to 1 mark.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I just hope they eventually put ALL final changes in an errata/update document to make it all official.
mellored, warpriest's challenge reverted to the exact same language as before the templar article.
I believe they will do that this week.  I'll double check.

EDIT: Yep, this week supposedly. community.wizards.com/wotc_bart/blog/201...
Thanks for the synopsis. I've been waiting for a document but this works too
mellored, warpriest's challenge reverted to the exact same language as before the templar article.

Yea, you ninja'd me.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I still hope that the article makes priest's sheild not terrible.
Per WotC_Huscarl, the PDF of the update-to-the-update will go up soon. 
They have updated the compendium with the newest Templar changes.

Here is what I have found so far (I will check all the ones that got reduced in april):

Features:
Turn Undead has a burst 2/3/5 now

Powers:
Consecrated Ground stayed the Same
Flame Strike back to being party friendly
Seal of warding the same
Enthrall stayed the same
Healing torch got another 1d8 of damage
Sacred Word went from burst 1 to burst 2 (pretemplar was burst 5)
Astral storm looks like it stayed the same

paragon paths/powers
Astral wave went from burst 1 to burst 2 (pretemplar was burst 8)
Radiant brilliance stayed the same
Warpriest Challenge is no longer 1/encounter, but once again requires an at will melee attack (a lot of people will be happy with that)
Terryfying insight still has the (RAW incorrect) wording that it only works with cleric/DO attacks, even though the official word was this was an errata that they backed out of and it was never published.

Astral Storm is now party friendly again, it just has the reduced damage from the update.  This is probably closer to what it should be, though it still packs a bigger punch than the equivalent Wizard power, Meteor Swarm (though less damage, it has more crap on top of it and party friendly).
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
fixed the astral storm mistake.  I had missed that when comparing the old article to the compendium
I don't have access to the previous Templar article at work, do the changes still suck horribly?
...whatever
They also updated the Pacifist Healer feat to work with the new Healing Word power. Unfortunately, WotC seems to have forgotten their own errata...

Here is the current compendium entry:
Benefit: When you use healing word or a divine power that allows a target to spend a healing surge, the target regains additional hit points equal to 1d6 + your Charisma modifier. The additional hit points increase to 2d6 + your Charisma modifier at 11th level, and to 3d6 + your Charisma modifier at 21st level.
    Also, whenever you deal damage to a bloodied enemy, you are stunned until the end of your next turn.

And here is the previous update to this feat which was apparently forgotten...
In the last sentence of the feat, replace “whenever you deal damage to a bloodied enemy” with “whenever you hit or miss a bloodied enemy and deal damage to it.” The previous text included ongoing damage and other damaging effects. This correction clarifies the intent.

They have fixed most of the biggest problems.  Turn undead is toned down from PHB, but is no longer useless at epic and does better damage than the article.  A couple of the formally big close burst powers are now close burst 2 instead of just 1.  A lot of the damage reductions remain, although they did turn up a couple of powers.  The damage reductions were never that big of an issue though, except for turn undead.

The biggest issue was that the party friendly powers got made party unfriendly.  That was always the ranged cleric's big schtick: big area powers that you could drop anywhere.  So much so that in my guide I had to use big bold letters on the rare dragon article or essentails cleric power that was not party friendly.  And now the three big ones are back to party friendly again. 

And a lot of people, often playing non-cleric pcs who had mc cleric for the path, really disliked the change to the tactical warpriest marking function.  They reverted that back to how it was before, while leaving the good changes to the path there.
(Double posting from D&D General)

We asked Shoe and Jeremy to provide some context for their re-examination of the templar, and here's what they provided:

Q. How much effect did forum feedback have on the decision to make additional changes to the templar?
A. We look at forum and email feedback for articles each month. The templar article generated a significant amount of feedback, some of which pointed to valid reasons for softening or rolling back a few of the changes. For example, a number of players are using the Tactical Warpriest paragon path to serve as secondary, or even primary, defenders in their games. The feature was already “defender-lite,” since the mark applied only when the cleric hit with an at-will attack. Because changing this feature would dramatically affect those players, we determined the change was not worthwhile at this time and undid it. The feedback also pointed to a desire for new cleric options, specifically ones that broaden the class’s nonhealing capabilities. The new article “Battle Priest Options” is part of our response to that desire. 

Q. What design considerations guided the latest version of the class?
A. As we discussed in the podcast a short time ago, we recognized that, in some cases, we’d changed certain powers (such as turn undead) in more than one way and could possibly achieve our game-balance goals by changing fewer elements in such powers. For some of those powers, we rolled back changes.

Q. The remaining two Class Compendium articles, on the scoundrel rogue and the arcanist wizard, are now marked as playtests. How will that work?  
A. These articles will function like other playtest articles. The playtest articles will go up, we’ll look at the feedback, and then we’ll make any warranted changes to the articles before they are made official.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

I really like the revisions.  I was one of, if not the, biggest complainers about the templar article and this fixed most of my complaints.  Thanks for listening and braving the forums.

The cleric still needs help, but we will see what the article brings.

And as noted above, pacifist healer really should use the revised stunning language that it had before since it was much more clear.  And the comendium still has the wrong language for terrifying insight.
Divine Aid, unfortunatly, is still a standard.

guides
Power
my builds

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Thanks for reverting some changes and addressing the Pacifist Healer feat.

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

While I'm glad WotC is willing to admit they were really beating the Cleric to death with a +6 Nerfbat it still doesn't answer the overall question: Why did the cleric need nerfing to begin with? The only complaints about Clerics were usually along the lines of "Standard Action utility powers and sustains suck" and "Divine Oracle is abusable by non-clerics." And yet the class got an overhaul... Why?

Totally Opinion: The name change to Templar is really dumb. If you're going to errata things, errata that first.
It looks like gift of Life from holy emissary still does not apply to healing word (since healing word lacks the Divine keyword)
They backed off the worst of it. I'm curious if the rest of the changes will follow the lead of the future narrowing of area effects they had hinted at. Still not sure if I am no longer angry.
...whatever
While I'm glad WotC is willing to admit they were really beating the Cleric to death with a +6 Nerfbat it still doesn't answer the overall question: Why did the cleric need nerfing to begin with? The only complaints about Clerics were usually along the lines of "Standard Action utility powers and sustains suck" and "Divine Oracle is abusable by non-clerics." And yet the class got an overhaul... Why?

Totally Opinion: The name change to Templar is really dumb. If you're going to errata things, errata that first.

Because they thought some stuff was wonky, pretty much. Now that they've rolled stuff back I have absolutely no complaints about that article. Kudos to everybody at WotC for listening to the playerbase here. Makes me happy to know our voice is heard.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).

Because they thought some stuff was wonky, pretty much. Now that they've rolled stuff back I have absolutely no complaints about that article. Kudos to everybody at WotC for listening to the playerbase here. Makes me happy to know our voice is heard.

Agreed.  I was very unhappy with the original article; I haven't read the new one yet, but from what I'm hearing, it at the very least took 100% of the feedback into account, even if not every change we disliked was reverted, so I'm very happy with the handling here.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.

I guess I just don't buy the reasoning for this errata. It's one thing to correct typos and clarify language, but these are powers that have been around for years now and have survived several rounds of errata.
The class really got walloped by the nerfbat. Just because they eased up on the beating still doesn't explain why it deserved a beating in the first place. 
+1, it needed a boost instead.
Aaaaand Awesomologist is why we can't have nice things.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
I, for one, am extremely happy that they revised the errata. Thanks for listening to the audience Wizards!
I still wish they would have made some changes to standard action utilities, provide at least a little leader effect to the nerfed powers, and to complete change priests shield to make it a viable option.  But on the whole, this round of nerfs is far less arbitrary and makes sense.  My beef with with priests shield will hopefully end with the battle cleric article, because the non righteous brand str cleric powers are so underwhelming.
they are willing to admit the mistake and worked are taking steps to correct it. 

ill take it

still divine oracle? anyone? anyone? 
I am sympathetic to Awesomeologist's points, but I will say that this revision is still a step back in the right direction, so kudos for that, at least.
I get why they took the Divine keyword off of healing word. They wanted to turn that into a workhorse healing power that might be available to other classes, such as the sentinel druid. That's cool. I suppose what we'll see in the future is more leader classes or variants that use healing word as their all purpose 2x-encounter healing power. I welcome that.

An interesting side-effect of Pacifist Cleric, as written now, is that a sentinel druid who multiclasses as a cleric can take it, and gets the benefit on his druid healing word (though not any of his other druid healing powers, since they're all Primal).

The part I don't like about this state of affairs is that healing word has no power source -- at least, not one with a basis in keywords that can have effects. It's not necessarily a big deal right now, since a lot of the feat support for healing is heavily biased to the Divine power source anyway, but if we start seeing more classes from non-Divine power sources who use healing word, it might become more relevant. I dunno, maybe my objection is philosophical. But I think a more elegant solution is possible.

What I'd like to see is something along the lines that have already been suggested: the class feature that confers healing word should also add a power source keyword to it. For example, the templar class feature "Healing Word" could say:

HEALING WORD
You gain the healing word power. Your healing word has the Divine keyword.

The hybrid templar could have (edited for precision and clarity):

HEALING WORD (HYBRID)
You gain the healing word power. The power functions as normal, except that you gain only one use of it per encounter from this class feature. Your healing word has the Divine keyword.

And the sentinel could have:

HEALING WORD
You gain the healing word power. Your healing word has the Primal keyword.

When they finalize on the hybrid sentinel, it could have (edited as above):

HEALING WORD (HYBRID)
You gain the healing word power. The power functions as normal, except that you gain only one use of it per encounter from this class feature. Your healing word has the Primal keyword.

If that's the way it worked, then a hybrid templar/sentinel would get 2x healing words per encounter, as usual, and the power would have both the Divine and the Primal keywords. That seems to me to make the most sense. And maybe I'm showing my low system mastery here, but I don't see any super dangerous exploitable loopholes or anything in what I'm suggesting. I haven't thought about how it would work with multiclass feats that confer these powers, but maybe something similar would work.

No, this is why everything that's not martial can't have nice things.
Healing system: 100% nerfed
Enabling system: untouched.

This is not right at all, even if all in all the change to cleric were minor with that article.

This is not right at all, even if all in all the change to cleric were minor with that article.

No, whiners who cry "MORE! MORE! MORE! WE WANT MORE DAMMIT, SCREW WHAT WE ALREADY GOT! MORE!" are why we can't have nice things. The amount of ridiculous entitlement we tabletop nerds display is sometimes sickening. Learn to be happy about WotC taking steps forward instead of *****ing about what's still left to be done, geez!

EDIT: Note that I agree with you, but seriously: entitlement is one-third of the reasons that developers don't want to talk to us, the second third being nerdrage and the last third being that they don't have a thick enough skin/a desire to obtain feedback and improve the game.

No, whiners who cry "MORE! MORE! MORE! WE WANT MORE DAMMIT, SCREW WHAT WE ALREADY GOT! MORE!" are why we can't have nice things. The amount of ridiculous entitlement we tabletop nerds display is sometimes sickening. Learn to be happy about WotC taking steps forward instead of *****ing about what's still left to be done, geez!

EDIT: Note that I agree with you, but seriously: entitlement is one-third of the reasons that developers don't want to talk to us, the second third being nerdrage and the last third being that they don't have a thick enough skin/a desire to obtain feedback and improve the game.

So what? We just sit back and accept inept and lazy design. This garbage your spewing is more the reason things cant be improved. I will have you know trhat indeed people are entitled to a good quality game when they purchase a game, they are entitled to good service when they pay for DDI. We are not here purely to keep amateur game designers employed. We pay therefor we are entitled and there is nothing wrong with this regardless what people like you spew out.

I wasn't raging at all. I just wanted the warlord to be errata-ed in the same way. I don't like double standards, especially when applied to the wrong class.

Law of retaliation, much? In 3.5 no one played the warlord, everyone remembers how much the cleric was OP.