Type 2 Magic Puzzle

48 posts / 0 new
Last post

Opponent got a koth's emblem at the last turn.

At your upkeep, opponent cast Silence and resolved.

Then you drew 'Lightning Bolt' card.

Now your main phase, find your way to win.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue! (背山臨水 )

If your opponent makes perfect plays, this scenario is unwinnable as far as I can see.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Indeed, the best I can think of leaves the opponent at 2 life and relies on him not responding to the Bolt with anything on his upkeep.

L1 Judge

Sac the Germ to do 1 dmg to the Leonin Relic-Warder.
Pay to equip the Mortarpod to a Necropede, then sac it to put a deal 1 dmg to the Relic Warder, killing it (I dont think we need to use the extra -1/-1 counter from the Necropede's ability for anything relevant).
This causes the Goblin War Paint to return to the battlefield - attach it to Greenhilt Trainee, making it a 4/5. Tap it to give the Spikeshot Elder +4/+4, making it a 5/5. Pay to have the Spikeshot deal 5 damage to your opponent, leaving them on 3 life.

At the begining of your opponent's upkeep, cast your Lightning Bolt for , and win the game.

Doesnt that work?

EDIT: just realised that the opponent can ping in response since we are on 1 life. Hmm...

EDIT 2: I give up. Whatever I try I cannot get enough damage through.

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Sac germ to hit opponent for 1, leaving him on 7 life.
Equip mortarpod to a necropede tapping two forests, and then sac doing one damage to opponent (now on 6 life), put a -1/-1 counter on leonin relic warder.
Equip mortarpod to the second necropede tapping a forest and a mountain, and then sac doing another one damge to opponent (now on 5 life), put a -1/-1 counter on relic warder to kill him off.
When war paint returns, enchant greenhilt trainee, and tap him to make spike shot elder 5/5. Activate spikeshot elders ability by tapping the 3 untapped mountains to reduce opponents life total to zero.

This problem is very hard, you can't win with ordinary playing.

It seems hard to win, but only one process.

HINT 1 : At next turn, you lose..

to Decade_of_Statues :

If you Necropede equipped Mortarpod sacrifices and deals a player, that player gains a poison counter instead 1 damage. Because Necropede has Infect.

You are Red/Blue!

Ah, so the creature deals infect damage then regardless.
Back to square one then.
This problem is very hard, you can't win with ordinary playing.

Interesting answer.

This is the only thing I can think of:

- Attack with the two Necropedes.

- Watch as your opponent is confounded. He starts pondering your decision and wonders if you're holding some kind of combat trick he hasn't previously thought of in hand. He starts mentally going over the pump spells in Standard, then thinks about what cards can enable Greenhilt Trainee. Eventually, he decides that safe is better than sorry and blocks both Necropedes.

- Whatever your opponent blocked with, targeting the Leonin Relic-Warder with the two Necropedes' death triggers is enough to throw it into the graveyard. Have the Goblin War Paint enter the battlefield attached to Greenhilt Trainee.

- Tap Greenhilt Trainee to pump Spikeshot Elder to a 5/5.

- Pay to blast your opponent to a crisp.

- Laugh and humiliate your opponent. Drinks are on him. 

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I think opponent dosen't block two Necropede and gets 2 poison counters.

But opponent maybe agree the drink with you.

HINT 2 : You can win without the combat phase.

You are Red/Blue!

Please tell me the answer doesn't involve asking your opponent to back up to EoT, then using spikeshot.
EDIT: Or, for that matter, that this is Type 2 Mental magic.
EDIT2: Or that they already have 8 poison.

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
# Card Blind Hall of Fame
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
what? do you ceremonially light your deck on fire after a win?
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
Rings of Brighthearth; Dormant Gomazoa; Samite Ministration.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

I can only get 7 damage in

Ping the opponent with the Germ (7 life), Equip to a Necropede, ping and put the counter on Relic-Warder, War Paint to Greenhilt, pump Spikeshot, equip Spikeshot (5/6), use Spikeshot's  ability (2 life), then sac Spikeshot to ping (1 life). If only Mortarpod was +1/+1.
Rules Nut Advisor
LMTRK's solution works if you bolt in response to silence. 
LMTRK's solution works if you bolt in response to silence. 

You drew the bolt; you can't cast it in response.

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Sac germ token, target self. Claim moral victory for not letting Koth's emblem kill you.
I love how Boreale ignores my innovative solutions. There is no way to make this work within the confines of a normal magic game. Explanation of why to be edited in shortly.

By Boreale’s statement, we cannot win if we pass the turn; this is fairly obvious. Thus, the Lightning Bolt in our hand is completely useless. By Boreale’s other statement, it is unnecessary to attack. Thus, the opponent’s creatures other than the Warder can be ignored; they have no relevant abilities. It’s not possible to win by poison (no way to get enough counters; easily seen without combat). Thus, it is only possible to win by regular damage, through Spikeshot and Mortarpod. The Necropede’s only purpose is to be sacrificed to the Mortarpod to kill the warder: they can’t attack, ‘pod to the face is irrelevant, and the other creatures are irrelevant. The Necropedes are completely useless if the Mortarpod activation targets the warder.

It is also only possible to either get 2 elder activations and 1 ‘pod activations, 3 ‘pod activations and only 1 elder activation, or 4 ‘pod activations.

4 pod activations are obviously not enough.

If you only have 1 ‘pod activation, the activation can either go to the face or to the warder. If it goes to the face, you can only get 2 more damage in. If it goes to the warder, you can then target the warder with one of the activations, getting the war paint back. However, even an activation for 5 to the dome only puts your opponent at 3.

Thus, the only way to win (if it exists) involves 3 Mortarpod activations and a Spikeshot activation. Mortarpod deals 1 per activation, so the elder activation must deal 5. However, the only way for it to deal 5 is if it gets +4/+4 for the Trainee’s ability. In order for the trainee to activate, it needs 4 or more power. In order to get 4 or more power, it needs the war paint. In order to get the war paint, the Mortarpod activation from the Necropede must target the Warder. If the activation targets the warder, then only 2 activations go to the head. Combined with the 5 from Spikeshot, this is only 7 total. Thus, it is not possible to win.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Best I can do is get the opponent to 2 life... Really don't see any other possibility...
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
I love how Boreale ignores my innovative solutions. There is no way to make this work within the confines of a normal magic game. Explanation of why to be edited in shortly.

By Boreale’s statement, we cannot win if we pass the turn; this is fairly obvious. Thus, the Lightning Bolt in our hand is completely useless. By Boreale’s other statement, it is unnecessary to attack. Thus, the opponent’s creatures other than the Warder can be ignored; they have no relevant abilities. It’s not possible to win by poison (no way to get enough counters; easily seen without combat). Thus, it is only possible to win by regular damage, through Spikeshot and Mortarpod. The Necropede’s only purpose is to be sacrificed to the Mortarpod to kill the warder: they can’t attack, ‘pod to the face is irrelevant, and the other creatures are irrelevant. The Necropedes are completely useless if the Mortarpod activation targets the warder.

It is also only possible to either get 2 elder activations and 1 ‘pod activations, 3 ‘pod activations and only 1 elder activation, or 4 ‘pod activations.

4 pod activations are obviously not enough.

If you only have 1 ‘pod activation, the activation can either go to the face or to the warder. If it goes to the face, you can only get 2 more damage in. If it goes to the warder, you can then target the warder with one of the activations, getting the war paint back. However, even an activation for 5 to the dome only puts your opponent at 3.

Thus, the only way to win (if it exists) involves 3 Mortarpod activations and a Spikeshot activation. Mortarpod deals 1 per activation, so the elder activation must deal 5. However, the only way for it to deal 5 is if it gets +4/+4 for the Trainee’s ability. In order for the trainee to activate, it needs 4 or more power. In order to get 4 or more power, it needs the war paint. In order to get the war paint, the Mortarpod activation from the Necropede must target the Warder. If the activation targets the warder, then only 2 activations go to the head. Combined with the 5 from Spikeshot, this is only 7 total. Thus, it is not possible to win.

Yeah, I think this covers what we were all thinking. Any responses, Boreale? Still insit it's possible?
Rules Nut Advisor
And Boreale, before you claim you didn't see the disproof, I say that I have a screenie of you viewing this thread after I posted the solution.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Best I can do is one life- not counting the awesome solution that involves attacking with the necropedes and relying on your opponent to screw up.

Even insane solutions involving making the necropedes kill each other don't work- I'm out of ideas. 
57092228 wrote:
It is not logic: it's Magic.

Bolt for in response to the Silence taking him to 5.

Sac the germ to deal 1 to the warder, then pay to move it over to a necropede and sac it to ping him down to 4 and kill the warder, putting the Goblin War Paint on the Trainee.

Use the trainer to buff the Elder to 5/5, and pay and hit him for 5 damage taking him to -1.

Do I win?
Official Rules Advisor

Sac the germ to deal 1 to the warder, then pay to move it over to a necropede and sac it to ping him down to 4 and kill the warder, putting the Goblin War Paint on the Trainee.

Use the trainer to buff the Elder to 5/5, and pay and hit him for 5 damage taking him to -1.

Do I win?

No, you drew the bolt. You can't cast it in response because you didn't have it at the time. As I previously showed, there is no solution that actually works reliably, at least falling within the hints that Boreale provided.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Do I win?

You draw bolt for the turn. It isn't in your hand when he casts silence.

You also use the germ to pig for 1, while necropede-mortarpod will kill the warder between it's death trigger and the mortarpod damage. Sacrificing the necropede with the 'pod, targeting the player, result in poison counters, not damage.
sac germ 1 to opponet - 6
2 forest equip pod to necropede, sac two coutner on relic warder
return war paint to trainee
forest/mountain - equip trainee with pod
tap trainee +4/+4 to spikeshot
3 mountain - 5 to oppoent - 1
sac trainee - DEAD

o woops he starts at 8 not 7

Do I win?

You didn't have the bolt in hand when your opponent cast silence. You just drew it.
57092228 wrote:
It is not logic: it's Magic.

sac germ 1 to opponet - 6
2 forest equip pod to necropede, sac two coutner on relic warder
return war paint to trainee
forest/mountain - equip trainee with pod
tap trainee +4/+4 to spikeshot
3 mountain - 5 to oppoent - 1
sac trainee - DEAD

They start at 8, not 7.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Normally, you never win without your Bolt.

Maybe it's best 6 or 7 damages.

But you can cast Lightning Bolt if you perform some actions.
It's 3rd HINT and very impotant.
It relates to comprehensive rules.

You are Red/Blue!

Look, I've already successfully showed that it's impossible to win in the confines of a normal game. Could we just let this thread die?

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Normally, you never win without your Bolt.

Maybe it's best 6 or 7 damages.

But you can cast Lightning Bolt if you perform some actions.
It's 3rd HINT and very impotant.
It relates to comprehensive rules.

We've already explored all of the options. There's no way to win. You cannot cast your bolt without dying to the mountains in response. If you think I'm wrong, PM me your solution. I won't say anything if it works.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

This is Answer.

1. Sacrifice Germ -> Deals Warder.

2. Equip Necropede. Pay GG

3. Sacrifice Necropede. -> Target Spikeshot Elder.

4. It triggers Necropede's 2nd Ability. Target Warder.

5. Trigger Resolve. Warder Dies.

6. Goblin War Paint enters the battlefield and attach Greenhilt Trainee.

7. Trainee taps and targets Elder. Elder Gets +4/+4 and is 5/5.

8. Pay GRR for Elder's TIM ability. Target is opponent. (Life 8 -> 3)

9. 3. in Stack resolve. Elder is 4/4

10. Pass until Cleanup Step.

11. At Cleanup step, Shut down 2 effects, +4/+4 and Silence. (Comp Rules 514.2.)

514.2. Second, the following actions happen simultaneously: all damage marked on permanents (including phased-out permanents) is removed and all "until end of turn" and "this turn" effects end. This turn-based action doesn't use the stack.

12. And Elder dies. State-based Action performs. (Comp Rules 704.5 , 514.3a)

704.5. The state-based actions are as follows:
704.5f If a creature has toughness 0 or less, it's put into its owner's graveyard. Regeneration can't replace this event.

514.3a At this point, the game checks to see if any state-based actions would be performed and/or any triggered abilities are waiting to be put onto the stack (including those that trigger "at the beginning of the next cleanup step").

If so, those state-based actions are performed, then those triggered abilities are put on the stack, then the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities. Once the stack is empty and all players pass in succession, another cleanup step begins.

13. You get Priority. You can cast Lightning Bolt before comes another cleanup step.

You are Red/Blue!

(Note: Responding to Mage. Ninja-deleted!)

You get priority because an SBA was performed. I... think that works
Rules Nut Advisor
Attack with both necropedes.

Assuming he blocks one:

-1/-1 counter on the Warder and then Mortarpod it, getting the war paint and putting it on the trainee.

Pump the spikeshot and hit him twice for 10 damage.

Assuming he blocks two:

Same plan but two counters on the Warder instead of using the pod.

Assuming he blocks neither:

He is on 6. Mortarpod him for 1 down to 5. Pay two to put the pod on a Necropede, ping the warder and kill it with a counter, putting warpaint on the Trainee. Buff the Elder and hit him for 5 down to 0.

Do I win now?

No. Your opponent chooses to block neither, going to 8 life (and 2 poison counters). You are now in essentially the same situation as before, but your Necropedes are tapped.

Edit: Ninja-delete unsuccessful this time!
Rules Nut Advisor
Forgot about infect, that's why the post is deleted!

That is a... Ninja solution.
Official Rules Advisor
sigh.. now dead thread.

You are Red/Blue!

sigh.. now dead thread.

That's what happens when a puzzle gets solved...

Or when the solution is revealed, as I suppose is the case here. That really is a devilishly clever maneuver, though. A most excellent puzzle. I think a hint somewhere between what you gave and the full solution might have been in order. Just mention "cleanup step" or some such to get that idea out there. In any case, now we need a new puzzle to work out.
Rules Nut Advisor
(Note: Responding to Mage. Ninja-deleted!)

You get priority because an SBA was performed. I... think that works

Interesting.. I believed priority was only given if a trigger went on the stack, not simply because an SBA was performed..
Next puzzle.
Official Rules Advisor
That was fiendish (and educational!). If we ever find ourselves in the same pub, OP, I owe you a drink.

EDIT: should this be a topic for RQ&A? I mean, should it be true that you can cast a spell on a turn in which you cannot cast spells?

~ Tim
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
That was fiendish (and educational!). If we ever find ourselves in the same pub, OP, I owe you a drink.

EDIT: should this be a topic for RQ&A? I mean, should it be true that you can cast a spell on a turn in which you cannot cast spells?

~ Tim

I find it to be a worthy topic in RT&T, yes. "Until end of turn" effects should end when the turn ends, not sometime before then..

~ Tim

I find it to be a worthy topic in RT&T, yes. "Until end of turn" effects should end when the turn ends, not sometime before then..

At the very least we need SBAs to be checked after such effects end... and we wouldnt want that to happen at the start of the following turn. Hmm.

~ Tim

Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
514.3. Normally, no player receives priority during the cleanup step, so no spells can be cast and no abilities can be activated. However, this rule is subject to the following exception:

514.3a At this point, the game checks to see if any state-based actions would be performed and/or any triggered abilities are waiting to be put onto the stack (including those that trigger “at the beginning of the next cleanup step”). If so, those state-based actions are performed, then those triggered abilities are put on the stack, then the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities. Once the stack is empty and all players pass in succession, another cleanup step begins.

There is nothing that gives players priority during the cleanup step, thus you do not get to cast lightning bolt at this time. If you had flashed in necromancy on your upkeep in response to silence bring back spikeshot elder, then you could.
There is nothing that gives players priority during the cleanup step[...]

In this case, there is: a 0/0 creature is on the battlefield (Elder), so the SBA is performed and then players get priority.

Admittedly this is a very, very rules-lawyery situation and you'd probably have to call a judge before you began because there is no way in hell your opponent will believe you can do it, but work it does.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.