Solo and marks

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi guys,
I'm trying to create a solo moster starting from the 22nd lev lich in the monster vault as the final boss of my adventure. I'm very tempted to add a power that let him while bloodied to unmark himself (from warrior's challange for example) as free action. I'm not sure about that though, cos I haven't found yet another monster in the 4E books with such a power... Is that power too strong? let me know what u think about that. It seems reasonable to me that a cool blooded smart undead magician is not provoked by a stupid warrior challange, but i'm also suspicious about cos there's anything similar in the manuals... Maybe i'm misunderstanding the mark condition...

Ty for your precious replies ;)

SpadaBastarda

 
Follow on SpadaBastarda on twitter SpadaBastarda page on Facebook G+
Advanced Character Sheets (D&D Next, D&D 5E)
Marks are more than simple taunts or challenges, they represent special attention being paid to ruin that guy's day. 

Negating a mark as a free action is sort of like saying strikers deal reduced damage to this monster. It's not that it's too potent, it's that it's massively unfair to defenders, and for no real reason. 
Yeah, as is being able to do it while bloodied it is unfair to defenders because it makes them useless.  But if you had the ability trigger when the monster first becomes bloodied as an Imm React, then that wouldn't be a big deal.  Mind you it may not do any good, but if he's marked by a defender and becomes bloodied he can end it.  Or give the monster an encounter power that only works when he's bloodied to end a mark.  That way its basically a one time use which means that yeah, it can mess up the defender until he can mark it again, but it doesn't make the defender useless for the rest of the battle.
I have to agree with rampant on this one. I could possibly see a feature that says that the creature doesn't take a penalty to attack rolls for being marked, though. I could also see a way of cancelling the mark that isn't at-will, like a minor action usable once per encounter to no longer be marked.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

Negating a mark as a free action is sort of like saying strikers deal reduced damage to this monster. It's not that it's too potent, it's that it's massively unfair to defenders, and for no real reason. 


Pretty much this. With certain builds you might as well be saying "Defender! Go play with this red ball while the grown-ups fight."

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
What you could do is toss the critter a +2 to attack rolls while bloodied. Negates the penalty from marked, and doesn't look like you're intentionally trying to eff over the party's defender(s).
To be honest, I was inspired by some MMORPG for this boss. I was looking for something like the "crazy agro" of some named mobs when they come to 25% HP.

I have to agree with rampant on this one. I could possibly see a feature that says that the creature doesn't take a penalty to attack rolls for being marked, though. I could also see a way of cancelling the mark that isn't at-will, like a minor action usable once per encounter to no longer be marked.


What you could do is toss the critter a +2 to attack rolls while bloodied. Negates the penalty from marked, and doesn't look like you're intentionally trying to eff over the party's defender(s).



So, in plain english, you guys suggest is to change that feature in something that de facto make the solo free to do whatever he want, but formally not negating extra features granted by defenders' marks (like attacks, etc...). I must admit: it's a very elegant solution, i like that! =)

SpadaBastarda

 
Follow on SpadaBastarda on twitter SpadaBastarda page on Facebook G+
Advanced Character Sheets (D&D Next, D&D 5E)
Ok, i took your suggestion and edited the boss. Now i'm curious to know what you think about the entire encounter I'm setting up. This encounter is designed for a lev14 of 7 PCs party:
- Necromancer
- Rogue (STR build)
- Hybrid fighter/dwarvenDef
- Fighter
- Ranger
- Warlord
- Cleric

All PC are well optimized, almost PP i dare to say...

The encounter is located in the Valazar's (the boss) hideout (a 19x27 squares area). At the beginning the party is at one of the shorter side of the room, Valazar in the center, and 4 "Thanato"es (sort of buffing/debuffing generators, i wrote em down as traps in the pdf) near the corners. When a Thanato is destoyed it scatters some soul gems on the floor in random positions:
Yellow soul gem of power: the character (or the boss) can reuse one of their expended encounter or daily powers
Red soul gem of recovery: the character (or the boss) can make 1 ST against an effect he's suffering that a ST can end. He also recovers 10 HP, and can also spend an HS to add its value to the amount of healed damage.
Blue soul gem of protection: the character (or the boss) obtain 10 Temp HP and a +4 bonus to his defenses.
Green soul gem of reaction: works like 1AP that the character (or the boss) has to spend before the end of his turn (or maybe of the next one...).

Click here to see the pdf (190KB)
I want to make this an exciting encounter for the party. They should first destroy the 4 thanatoes (at least the blue and the red) and then kick the boss's butt. But i'm not sure about the amount of damage to assign for the boss attacks: I'm a bit worried cos I don't want the party will be wiped in 3 round.
A last info... When Valazar is destoyed it's phylactery appear in the room and the characters have to destroy with a skill challenge. The possible resuts are:
- the characters success and the phylactery is destroyed
- the characters success not that well... the phylactery is destroyed but it blows up in a devastating explosion
- the characters fails, and a wounded (let's say 50% HP...) Valazar (with thanatoes) reappears and they have to destoy him gain for attempting again the ritual to destroy the phylactery


If something is not clear to you, feel free to ask ;)

SpadaBastarda

 
Follow on SpadaBastarda on twitter SpadaBastarda page on Facebook G+
Advanced Character Sheets (D&D Next, D&D 5E)
look up hero-slayer hydra for another option.
when marked it gets +2 att +5 damage on the marking character....

not quite what you're looking for but if they pull off the knowledge check it may give them pause?

There are a couple of skirmish monsters in th Monster Vault that end marks as an effect on thier attacks, so I disagree that this is totally unfair. If you think that it is you could put a recharge on the power.

Another option would be to give him a close blast or burst power.

Another option is to just take the effects of the mark to try to drop the leaders, strikers & controllers.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.