Interesting and fun character builds?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want some really unusual characters, that would make my fellow players laugh, then become interested as I pwn some enemies (or do something noncombative that pwns). Suggestions?  
82680771 wrote:
Soylent Golgari is made of people!!!
For builds, you'll probably want to scan the Character Optimization forum. If pwning enemies is what you want, that's the place to start poking around. Specifically, the Hall of Heroes has quite a collection of amazing builds.

The forum you're in now is better suited for helping you develop a character idea or background. And it really helps us to know a little bit about the game you expect to play in. Do you know what setting your DM is going to place you in, or anything about the other players' characters?
I want some really unusual characters, that would make my fellow players laugh, then become interested as I pwn some enemies (or do something noncombative that pwns). Suggestions?  

Create a very-sketchy character background that is NOT an adventurer, and then figure out a way to refluff a character class/powers to fit that background.

Example: baker.

A baker has some casual similarity to an alchemist, which would lean toward Artificer or some Wizard builds. Alternatively, a master baker would have several apprentices, which would support an action-granting leader build such as Warlord (probably a mostly-Lazy Warlord given a baker's lack of expertise in large or ranged weapons). He's used to and uses a certain amount of heat, which would further support fire-magic-based builds.

You can even make people further laugh and pull in a fictional reference by making your baker carry a really long loaf of French bread as a staff, and refluff some of his magical attacks as throwing rolls or cookies, burst attacks might be loaves that explode into crust fragments like shrapnel... oh, and make him a dwarf. (The people who don't get the reference will probably just laugh. Those who do will laugh and be worried.)

Hm... what can I throw together in the old Character Builder? (I'm on a slow-enough connection, at the moment, that I can't run the online Character Builder.)

Sample Baker
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 1
Dwarf, Artificer
Build: Battlesmith Artificer
Background: Geography - Desert (+2 to Endurance)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 16 Fort: 14 Reflex: 14 Will: 12
HP: 28 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Heal +6, History +9, Perception +6, Dungeoneering +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Endurance +7, Insight +1, Intimidate -1, Nature +1, Religion +4, Stealth, Streetwise -1, Thievery, Athletics

FEATS
Artificer: Ritual Caster

POWERS
Artificer at-will 1: Aggravating Force
Artificer at-will 1: Unbalancing Force
Healing Infusion: Healing Infusion: Resistive Formula
Artificer encounter 1: Burning Weapons
Artificer daily 1: Flameburst Armor

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Crossbow, Staff Implement
RITUALS
Brew Potion, Disenchant Magic Item, Enchant Magic Item, Make Whole
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

So okay, you can (at will) poke an enemy with your oversize breadstick OR shoot a crossbow bolt at him, leaving him unbalanced enough that one ally (the next one to attack him) gets an easier time hitting him; alternatively, you can zap him with a mystic biscuit which leaves him unstable so that one ally can push him 1 square on a hit.

On an encounter basis you can cause weapons on your side to be fresh out of the oven, ready to burn any enemy foolish enough to let those weapons touch him.

And on a daily basis you can turn one ally into an oven, baking enemies around him whenever you are close enough and can spare the standard action. (Great minion-clearer.)

After an extended rest you produce a couple of healing cookies, which you can toss into an ally's mouth as a minor action (limit once per round) and get a couple of options for just what effect they have.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Without so much refluff, you could try a Warforged Druid. You can't go wrong with a Transformer!
Without so much refluff, you could try a Warforged Druid. You can't go wrong with a Transformer!

There's more to that suggestion than meets the eye.

Or you could play a Revenant of a certain Essentials class, with some minor refluffing, and be the Knight of the Living Dead.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose

A gnome monk who wears red pants, a blue shirt and a pointy hat.  Call him David.   

Polyphemia Peregrine Pureheart, Pint-sized Paladin of Pelor...

You know that red-headed girl in every cartoon, the one that's always spunky, endlessly upbeat and talks like a chipmonk with a head cold? Now imagine her as a halfling in plate armor with a shortsword and shield. That's Polly. Despite being a full-grown adult, Polly still has a very child-like manner and view of the world - she talks and acts like she just stepped out of a Saturday-morning animated series.

Every day when Polly was a little girl, she'd walk outside, look up at the sun and say, "Hello, Mr. Sun." As Polly went about her daily chores, she'd talk to the sun as if it were some sort of imaginary friend. It was cute when she was six, but when she was still doing it when she was sixteen everyone figured she was a bit touched in the head, or had spent too much time staring at the sun.
But they didn't know what Polly knew.

When Polly was twelve, she had looked up at the sun and said, "Hello, Mr. Sun."

And Mr. Sun replied, "Hello, Polly"...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I find gnomes/halflings in general to be hilarious, especially as barbarians.

Good and godly orc/gnoll/other monster race paladins/clerics can be funny.

Warforged druid is an excellent one.

Create a bard, but roleplay him as being a screamo vocalist, rapper or a terrible singer.

Gain proficiencies in and wield ridiculous weapons (rogue with a greatspear, for example, or a paladin who only uses something goofy like shurikens).

I played as a lumberjack once, he was just a barbarian with a greataxe who turned out to be an awesome character.

Play as a drunk (a la Jackie Chan in Drunken Master), or as a drug addict.

Use gold coins as a weapon. A fellow character in a game played basically an anarchist monk who rejected capitalism and currency, and instead of using money to buy things, he used the coins as a weapon. The DM allowed him to use coins as ammo for his sling and allowed him to fashion a certain number of shurikens made of gold coins per day.
I will be playing a Gnome Battlemind in my next campaign. A little ball of metal that disappears if you manage to hit it... that just makes me smile.

Another build I have enjoyed playing in paragon is a Goblin Paladin multiclassed into Sorcerer. Switch as many powers for Sorcerer as you can to get a mean little man.

I have played a warforged swarm druid in the past and quite frankly it was not my favorite character. When I brought it to the table though people burst into laughter, that was fun.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Another build I have enjoyed playing in paragon is a Goblin Paladin multiclassed into Sorcerer. Switch as many powers for Sorcerer as you can to get a mean little man.

One of the characters I would love to play if I find a cooperative DM is a paladin PMC sorcerer... catch is, the race is Pixie and she routinely rides her hawk familiar without the Familiar Mount feat, because the size is already right.

I have played a warforged swarm druid in the past and quite frankly it was not my favorite character. When I brought it to the table though people burst into laughter, that was fun.

For an absurd campaign, I have the Crazy Cat Lady - swarm druid|beastmaster ranger (paragon hybrid) multiclassed shaman and something arcane (using the original Windrise Ports background, before it got nerfed), with her animal companion, her familiar, her spirit companion, all her summons, and her swarm-beastform being cats.

One of the characters I would love to play if I find a cooperative DM is a paladin PMC sorcerer... catch is, the race is Pixie and she routinely rides her hawk familiar without the Familiar Mount feat, because the size is already right.

The familiar Mount Feat is so you can gain the benifits of the mount and I feel has little to do with size. This idea sounds like a good time though. Be careful though, many of the sorcerer powers involve granted movement and I don't think it would apply to your mount. I would hate for your Pixie to fall off her hawk.

In reference to the Crazy Cat Lady, I have a character similar. A Wizard/Shaman hybrid multiclassing into Invoker is really the pivotal knowledge gaining character. I think he/she would be flavored to be a detective or a cultist of Ioun, getting information however possible.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)