Anyone anywhere play only with Theme/Intro decks exclusively?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm relatively new to the game and the aspect of deck construction is mind boggling.

Are there many players out there that play theme/intro preconstructed decks only?
I used to when I just started, for a good year or so I played with nothing but precons, but I only played at lunch with my friend who also used precons. They are pretty weak as decks but if you play with friends who also use precons then it can be really fun. But after a while you probably want to start building your own deck.

Depends on your playgroup really, if your friends are all new then theres no problem just grabbing the intro decks and playing, but they wont be very good against any properly built deck. There are a lot of decklists online, many of which cost very little to build, so if money is the issue have a look around.

Those decks are great places to start, but eventually most people move on to building thier own decks.

Though a good place to start deck building is by making slight changes to a pre-built deck. Maybe swapping out a color for a different one, or adding a minor theme.

… and then, the squirrels came.
Just buy an Event Deck - any of them.
They've been the first time I've played Standard since 1997.
The Intro packs now come with a booster pack. Most new players probably add at least one card from it to their decks now after buying them. Also, many players I knew began playing exclusively with one player and built their own first deck before playing with strangers. Based on these things, I find it unlikely that you'll find a player using a pure preconstructed deck.
Sometimes I carry around a pair of unmodified Duel Decks for pickup games.

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Look up a user named signofzeta.  He collects some of them and plays them a lot.
Look up a user named signofzeta.  He collects some of them and plays them a lot.

You sure got that right.  I have over 100 theme decks/intro packs that was modified, but I changed them back.  The problem is, you have to find me.

I have a wide selection.  Going in order of release, I have every theme deck from 7th edition to Future sight and everything in between.  For Intro packs, starting with Zendikar, I have every intro pack with a RED FOIL CARD in it all the way up to New Phyrexia, and starting with Worldwake, I have every intro pack with a blue foil in it up to New Phyrexia as well as Doom Inevitable.  The only theme decks that I have that I can't revert back to its original status is Armada and Decay.  My brother traded away a pacifism, and a swamp from those decks respectively.  Oh well, ain't my deck anyway. I guess you could say that half of the theme decks are mine, and half are my brother's, but most of them are back to how they were when I bought them.

If you do manage to find me, expect to win all the time and get bored of winning.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS
I was a graduate of playing precons when I started. They are great for new players. You get a playable deck and some decent cards and ideas to start with. After that you start to learn the finer points of the game and which cards are absolute garbage. They are great learning tools.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
What's the difference between Event, Theme and Intro decks?
What's the difference between Event, Theme and Intro decks?

Event decks are designed for standard, intro decks are simple and designed for new players or people interested in the theme of the specific place the cards are based on, and theme decks are the old name for intro decks.

Basically, event decks are a bit more expensive and hardcore.
Dark Ritual, because slow and steady does not win the race.
I have a set of the five intro decks from M11 and I bring them to the game club at the high school where I teach. The club also has the five monocolored theme decks from 10th ed, but the kids prefer playing with the M11 ones because they are so well balanced against each other.
I have a set of the five intro decks from M11 and I bring them to the game club at the high school where I teach. The club also has the five monocolored theme decks from 10th ed, but the kids prefer playing with the M11 ones because they are so well balanced against each other.

back then, the 40 card theme decks from 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th couldn't even compete against the 60 card theme decks from the block expansions at the time.  Now, if you take an intro pack from M11, and faced against a scars of mirrodin intro pack, or any non core set intro pack, they seem more well balanced.

I like it how WOTC now treats the core set intro packs at the same level as the block expansion intro packs as opposed to before, where the 40 card theme decks from the core sets sucked major in comparison to the theme decks from block expansions.  My brother refused to use the 8th edition and 9th edition theme decks, because they were too basic, and it wasn't any fun in comparison to the M11 2 color decks.  When I am using a M11 intro pack, I feel like I am using one of those 60 card block expansion theme decks moreso than the 40 card core set theme decks, as there aren't that many vanilla creatures.  The boring cards like Grizzly Bears and Goblin Raider that have plagued every 40 card theme deck is now gone, and looking at what is in M10 intros to M11, each iteration of the core set intro packs will be different, compared to before, where there is this one card that is always in the core set theme decks.

I do really want to see what is in store for the M12 intro packs though.

I also like how they don't treat core sets as a set for people with less skill, and block expansion sets as a set for people with more skill.  The core sets seem to be that "4th set" in the block, as it seems to be equal in power to its block expansion sets that come before and after it.  I mean, compare M11 to Scars of Mirrodin block cards, and also compare 8th edition to Mirrodin cards.  You'd probably find that M11 is pretty much equal to Scars, but yet 8th edition sucks compared to Mirrodin.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS
Any other decks that play as well as the Event Decks that aren't labeled so?
Any other decks that play as well as the Event Decks that aren't labeled so?

Not really.  The closest are probably the premium deck series (especially Fire and Lightning), Planechase, and Archenemy.  Fire and Lightning is pretty tight, and has some of the best burn ever printed, but it's consistancy is nothing like the Event decks.  They are a new product, and in the past Wizards has never made precons like them
I collect all of the Duel Decks, and try to grab an intro deck here and there (esp since they went back to 60 cards), to keep for when my wife and I want to play at the kitchen table. They're great for just playing around, and of course they're a good starting point for making your own. 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
Sign In to post comments