Deities & Demigods: Remote sensing vs. deities' normal senses

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to figure out whether remote sensing allows a deity to see everything in the area (as if you had eyes everywhere in the radius of effect), or only to sense the area as if your vision had a point of origin.

The rules imply that the only difference in the deities normal sensory radius, vs. using remote sensing, is that the normal sensing radius doesn't let you see through things or around corners, while it seems to hint that the remote sensing does. Other than that, they both allow you to hear, smell, and touch at a 1 mile per divine rank radius.  I'm not sure why they would allow remote sensing to see everything, making it superior to the deities normal senses - it seems odd.  It also seems that the deity can count himself as a holy object (I mean, if not, he can just carry one, or even chant his name once an hour), making himself a valid target for remote sensing.  So does the deity have to use remote sensing on himself to see everything? If so, almost every deity would have it turned on all the time anyway, which seems rather ridiculous.  The rules are clear that he *cannot* see around or through things - line of sight still counts.  So the question.  Am I missing something about remote sensing?  Is my interpretation that it allows seeing all locations in the area a bad one?
There is a limit to the number of simultaneous locations permitted for remote sensing, so a deity using it to perceive its own location would be reducing its ability to keep an eye on its broader interests.  Given that we're talking about a deity here, anything that's actually a threat (usually another deity) can transport into range so easily that being noticed is a non-issue.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
a small side note.
How does remote sensing deal with Mind Blank? Can persons with Mind Blank be 'sensed', or are they not present, as with Scry.
I just got married, 16.7.2011, to a sexy librarian :D Suck it fate, there's no justice in the real world. There's no way I deserve this ;) -------------- The most interesting rules always kinda taste like lasagna
a small side note.
How does remote sensing deal with Mind Blank? Can persons with Mind Blank be 'sensed', or are they not present, as with Scry.

Mind blank doesn't seem to be mentioned specifically, but it describes it being unable to be stopped by misdirection, nondetection, or similar spells, and being capable of penetrating any barrier except a divine shield (a salient divine ability).

Although remote sensing does not specifically describe penetrating mind blank, neither is remote sensing specifically mentioned amongst the effects blocked by mind blank.

The indicated ability of remote sensing as the power of a deity seems to be in excess of what mind blank would reasonably stop, so a judgement call made by the DM is likely to be in favour of remote sensing.  Even the power of 8th-level spells is presumably exceeded by the gods.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
While it can't actually see the creatures it can feel creatures as if it were touching them, I think that would allow them to function much like blindsight.
Et in arcadia ego~Even in paradise I am here Est Sularus Oth Mithas~My Honor Is My Life You, sir, are a liar. Or delusional. I like your style.- Zombie_Babies
Show
The two editions are very different...and make for two different games. In general, 3.0/3.5 is built around more-or-less full freedom in terms of character customization. In contrast, 4.0 is built around balance and ease of play. Honestly, I think WotC should have maintained both lines as parallel games.
(real life friends came up with this not me) The Resident Nonexistant Antichrist Neanderthal Amish Werewolf Jesus Delusion.
Sign In to post comments