Fast Healing Times - My Rationalization

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, you got stabbed three times, set on fire, and hit with a potentially lethal dose of radiation. But you have emerged victorious over the enemy.

After the fight, you say, "Let me sit down a second."

You wait five minutes, drink some water, eat a Powerbar, and you're fine.

All your hit points are back, and you are fully prepared for the next fight.

How is this possible?

Simple: Alpha Flux.

Your PC, as we already know, is one those those special people who can draw on alternate worldlines and give himself Alpha Mutations.

If you can draw on alternate realities to give yourself claws, or superspeed, then it should be very simple to find a version of yourself that is basically just you, but healthy and unwounded. It's the first trick you learn. You sit down, concentrate, and all your wounds go away.

You can't do it in combat. Well, you can, but not as well. It's called a Second Wind, and it's imperfect. It's hard to do when people are trying to kill you. You can do your regular Alpha Mutations, but that's pretty random. You are reaching out to whatever weird version of you is closest. Healing isn't random, so it takes a little concentration.

This isn't a house rule and doesn't change anything. It's just a way of explaining in-game the healing power that PCs seem to have.
Nice explanation.
How is this possible?

fwiw: the exact same thing happens in regular D&D too.

I always thought that it was more of administering first aid and downing some painkillers, at least in normal D&D (but without the pain killers). that said, i like this idea, especially as you can use this explanation without altering game mechanics.
Nice explanation.
How is this possible?

fwiw: the exact same thing happens in regular D&D too.

Ah cool. Believe it or not, I am not very familiar with regular D&D.

Well, I am, just older versions, where you heal slower.
I thought in 4e DnD you don't heal to full, but can use your limited number of Healing Surges to heal a bit durning short rests. A character may have had 5 healing surges and been almost dead - uses 3 of them to get to half life, then saves two for later.... They don't heal to full durning a short rest. But heal to full durning an extended rest (which also fills healing surges). Using a second wind is a healing surge durning combat which can be done only once per encounter.

In GW 7e you heal to full and don't have healing surges - but you do have 1 second wind. As well as healing to full after a short (5 min) rest.

Though since GW uses the basic structure of DnD 4e - it would not be too hard to convert it if you do not like the automatic healing...
I thought in 4e DnD you don't heal to full, but can use your limited number of Healing Surges to heal a bit durning short rests

It amounts to the same thing: everyone basically heals to full during a short rest in D&D... unless they run out of surges, but I've only seen someone run out of surges once (and that was because they were attacked by surge-draining undead creatures).

Since surges weren't generally a real issue in D&D (except maybe to discourage players from taking on more than 3-4 combats without an extended rest... but daily powers did that too), I can see why they were dropped from GW.

.... but I've only seen someone run out of surges once (and that was because they were attacked by surge-draining undead creatures).

Since surges weren't generally a real issue in D&D (except maybe to discourage players from taking on more than 3-4 combats without an extended rest... but daily powers did that too), I can see why they were dropped from GW.

Good Point.

Sign In to post comments