Venser blinks everything

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

Venser, the Sojourner is starting to drop in price and I’m thinking about picking up three of him and making a deck. The idea is to maximize his effectiveness by using mostly cards that he can blink to get there “when X comes into play” abilities. So far I have this:

4 Mystic Gate

4 Nimbus Maze

8 Islands

8 Plains

3 Venser, the Sojourner

4 Momentary Blink

4 Negate

3 Sunblast Angel

2 Venser, Shaper Savant

4 Wall of Omens

Man-o'-War

4 War Priest of Thune

4 Azorius Guildmage

4 Azorius Signet

The curve is somewhat higher than I like but I think it is a good start. What would you all put into it and take out for maximal awesomeness? 

Well, some extra, re-usable removal for a Venser deck is Reality Acid. Play it, bounce it with either of your Vensers, and BAM, one less card to worry about. You could also throw in a couple of Journey to Nowhere, or Oblivion Rings. 

Also, How exactly do you plan on finishing people off? Swinging out with Sunblast? You could use a strong U/W beater here, like Sphinx of Magosi, or Akroma, Angel of Wrath, or a Wurmcoil engine if you have one. 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I got a friend who has a deck like this. You need sea gate oracle for crazy card advantage. He uses flickerwisp to exile and bring back ETB cards in addition to venser. Jace the mind sculptor can be used to bounce your creatures back so you cast them again. He also uses pilgrim's eye to activate emeria, the sky ruin faster.
O_o to Flickerwisp. That is crazy shenanigans with Venser.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Play Mulldrifter for even more crazy card advantage.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Puca's Mischief could be amusing here.

Swap permanents,

Blink swapped permanent,

Get swapped permanent back,

Enjoy using ill gotten gains to win games!
There are many cards that depend on blinking abilities, but there are only few such abilities! Another blinking engine with non-finite activations is Galepowder Mage, and Reveillark can return many of your creatures from the graveyard..

I really like some of the suggestions I’m getting. Here is a new version.

4 Mystic Gate

4 Nimbus Maze

8 Islands

8 Plains

3 Venser, the Sojourner – the engine

4 Momentary Blink – the back up engine

4 Negate – Wrath and other protection

3 Sunblast Angel – repeatable wrath and flying beat stick

4 Pilgrim's Eye – Land engine and deck thinning

4 Wall of Omens – I like drawing cards

4 Sea Gate Oracle – I like drawing cards

Man-o'-War – bouncing threats

3 Puca's Mischief – stealing those threats latter

4 Flickerwisp – More blinking for the engine

This deck is really begging for a effect of when ever a blue or white card comes into play X happens like Dire Undercurrents. Oh well, so far I think it looks good and fun, still it doesn’t seem very efficient or effective. 

Play Mana Leak and Oblivion Ring, bro.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Momentary Blink can't be called an engine, Mistmeadow Witch + Galepowder Mage can be called an engine.. Puca's Mischief shouldn't depend on Venser, so you should run more cards that have synergy with both Puca's Mischief + Venser, like Reality Acid! You have way too many cards that put more cards into your hand, which then put even more cards into your hand, and that doesn't prevent your opponent from defeating you quickly.. By the way, Puca's Mischief demands much dedication because it's often useless, especially if you depend on some other cards working in your favor and your opponent not interfering!
Sign In to post comments