Deck Tier List (Speculation)

294 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I know that everyone is hard at work unlocking cards and people are just getting a feel for the decks....but isn't it fun to speculate?! haha

So what are your guys initial impressions on a deck tier list.

You can list 1-10, break it up into Top/Middle/Bottom, or just ramble like I'm about to do.

After playing I think that the Vampire deck is still very good, elf is solid, and white is solid.

I'm not a fan of the artifact deck nor either red decks.

Blue is leaps and bounds better than 2009, but I'm not sure how good it is just yet. I found the U/G deck and G deck to be fun but heavy on the faceroll.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: So my tier list is going to be very similar to others with a few minor tweaks and some explanations.

I am going to make multiple tiers but keep in mind:
1) Each tier is not that far from the one above or below it
2) I am breaking up the tiers with regards to the fact that each deck in said tier could be swapped anywhere withing that tier
3) These are my opinions feel free to boject

God Tier: These decks aren't unstoppable by any means, but I feel they consistently win against other top decks. I am on the line with putting white in here but for now, no.

1) Mono Blue Illusions 
[If it gets a Lord out watch out. It has a solid creature base you can sit on and just play bounce/counter on opponents turn and two mind controls to insure nothing goes wrong. I find it better played fast and opting out of including anything fatter than Phant. Dragon]

2) U/G Ramp
[It's fast, it's scary fast. This decks weakness should be its Early/Midgame (1-5 mana), BUT it ramps so quickly it covers its weakness easily. I find it best played as semi-full Ramp with a few blockers left in (maybe 2 four drops) but I'm not sure, it could be played FULL ramp successfully I'm sure. Only reason I put Jace above it is because in a head to head I think Jace has the edge against it.]

Top Tier: Right now all of these decks are consistently competing with God Tier decks and otherwise winning more often than not. I'm not ready to put White in god tier but I'm almost done unlocking it so playing it now.

3) Mono White
[So close to God Tier but idk if it is quite there. Its early game is dominant and if you get even 1 equip some creatures become scary. It is also impervious to being mana screwed and with the Arrests, Hookmasters, and Harriers (?) it has a significant amount of control. I play it straight white weening with mostly cheap equips]

4) B/U/W Artifacts
[Not much experience playing this deck but a lot playing against it. First of all take out the white imo and play it B/U. It has solid counters, kill cards, and between Sculptor and Overseer the deck and excellerate and get big surprisingly fast]

5) Vampires
[Oh my old enemy. Glad to see Vampires down in only top tier :P. Have not played as this deck but have seen it ALOT. Nocturne is still absurd and the deck really has to be dealt with quickly/efficiently. If you let them build bloodthirst, forget about it. But if you save your burn/counter/control for the right creatures it can be much less of an issue.]

Mid Tier: Still very solid decks that compete with everyone but imo aren't as consistent as Top Tier.

6) Mono R Burn
[This deck is better at countering other decks (like blue and white) which is why it is the highest mid tier deck. The burn/removal is there, and it has great reach which can break stalemates. Nothing like a few lava axes to the face to win a game :P.]

7) Elves
[Another deck I use to hate. Not much experience playing as it but see it occasionally. I think this deck is pretty much equal to Mono G. It was toned down substantially from the last game, but if it gets the right drops it can jump on you quickly.]

8) Mono Green
[This deck is so boring. Maybe it deserves to be above elves or red but those decks take some thought :P. I think this deck doesn't handle Top/God tier decks very well (lacks control/kill cards) and flying absolutely destroys it. It wants to be U/G with a mid game but it ends up being too much slower.]

9) R/B Dragons
[I had some surprising success with this deck......and then some expected failure haha. It's a one trick pony because if they control/destroy your dragons your other creatures and too tiny end game. Also if your not hitting your mana reduction (Medallion/Shaman) the dragons are too slow.] 

Bottom Tier:  Only one deck belongs here because it is in a league of its own. It has no advantages over any other deck imo

10) Strength of Stone
[Its burn isnt good enough, its creatures aren't good enough, and in general the card quality isn't there]  
Your discipline, dedication and studying have all paid off. You have finally been nominated for the Azorius Senate!
Your discipline, dedication and studying have all paid off. You have finally been nominated for the Azorius Senate!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Stainless seems to have learned a lesson from the original DoTP, because the decks seem to be better balanced this time around. There aren't any obvious boogeymen that stand out like Ears of the Elves did. That said, I do expect Jace's and Kiora's deck to end up somewhere near the top of the rankings.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
So I know that everyone is hard at work unlocking cards and people are just getting a feel for the decks....but isn't it fun to speculate?! haha

So what are your guys initial impressions on a deck tier list.

You can list 1-10, break it up into Top/Middle/Bottom, or just ramble like I'm about to do.

After playing I think that the Vampire deck is still very good, elf is solid, and white is solid.

I'm not a fan of the artifact deck nor either red decks.

Blue is leaps and bounds better than 2009, but I'm not sure how good it is just yet. I found the U/G deck and G deck to be fun but heavy on the faceroll.

For me right now artifact is number 1. But it depends on the opponent. Against Chandra I prefer Apex Predators, does good work and is faster than i thought. But still overall artifact deck suits me better. White deck is fast and can kill fast. No bad decks in my opinion.

Illusions, Vampires and Wielding Steel seem to have a very good core deck.
I gave the Dragons a try yesterday and found them funny to play, I would say at least middle strength.
Ancient Depth and Apex Predators don't look that strong for me at the moment, but of course I haven't unlocked all cards yet.
I haven't played the red decks and Machinations at all. 

EDIT: I will test Chandra today. Taking a closer look at the deck list (after unlocking) it looks really cool and so much better than in DotP 2009. It's a pity there's only one Flametongue Kavu, but other creatures like Kiln Fiend and Inferno Titan also rock. The only problem is the limited number of cards against fatties (Blaze and Banefire) so Apex and Ancient Depth should be problematic match ups.

I'm hardly qualified for this as I've only really played about three decks so far, Wielding Steel, Apex Predators, and Machinations.

Wielding Steel has been an absolute monster for me so I think it'll be high tier.
Apex Predators is pretty good. Stomps over a lot of things, but can be pretty vulnerable at times. I'll leave it at middle tiers for now.
Machinations is pretty fun to play with, but I don't know about it's strength when compared to the rest of the playing field. Being three color can hurt it at times (I've already lost games due to poor auto land taps) and the deck feels like its "missing" some pieces. I think the right couple of unlocks added with future updates could push this deck to be really good. Maybe middle tiers right now? Perhaps a little on the lower end? I don't know and it's probably too early to tell.

For general first impressions:
High Tiers: Vamps, Elves, Equipment, Illusions
Middle Tiers: Apex Predators, Dragons, UG Ramp
Low Tiers: Machinations, Red decks (maybe? I love red, but the lists didn't really impress me. I should play with them before I should comment on them)
Machinations (really only 2 colors) and Illusions are tops, imo. Those 1 drop Bears might be the best creature ever? Hardly a drawback for those compared to the bigger guys.

Green is OK - and UG Depths revolves around the Simic's too much I think.

Dragons is better than I thought at first glance, that's for sure. Some really nasty Goblins hold you over until you unleash the fury.

Equipment is very solid, but free to Chandra.

The 2 Red decks are hard to judge. Some games they look absolutely scary - other times you draw to much garbage.

Elves and Vamps are Elves and Vamps. Wasted slots.

IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2b5wr5.jpg)

Ancient Depths is a confirmed high tier. It can put out respectable pressure while spitting out lands at ridiculous pace. Then the rare and mythic cards come out and its gameover. Its not hard to end the game with 10+++ to 20 lands. Once, i even almost run out of lands out of the whole deck to play. 
Going to go ahead and say U/G is for sure a Top 3 haha.

Beat campaign with it, and went 5-1 online. Some of the games were not even close and the 1 I lost I had to mulligan down to 5 to get 2 lands, then only drew 1 more land in 4 turns.....most unlikely? lol

But yah when it hits 4 lands its over, ur putting down 2 or 3 lands down easy a turn from there.

The only decks I will probably never play are: 2 Red Decks (my least favorite color), vamp and elf (because of how much i HATE them from last game) 
All the decks seem great to me so far, except for the first red deck (Strenght of Stone). It took me a ton of duels before I even managed to win with that deck, whereas with the others I generally at first or second try.

It can't handle counters, or removal, or flyers or big creatures. I do hope it becomes better with unlocks, but in it's vanilla form it seems really bad.
I'm actually in the top 10 world ranked games( ranked 7 at the moment, you can check if you want), xbox platform. and I can tell you that I win 95+% games with the equipment deck. he completely pawns other decks.
I am really digging this game -can't stop :oD

The U/G deck has been the most fun for me so far
but the equipment deck seems the most versatile
machinations is just sick - love it

as for the strongest, I'm thinking the elves are probly gonna take top spot
i been having a hard time shutting Nissa down, those damn heedless biatches
I noticed Apex Predator does not have any way (besides Overrun) to give it's creatures trample. At first I thought this odd, then I happened to Yavimaya's Embrace an Engulfing Slagwurm and realized "Trample = Unblockable+".
As far as my thoughts on a couple of the decks I've played with, I think that equipment deck is definitely top 3.  Artifact deck is ok, but not great.  Not a fan of Strength of Stone.

I haven't played with it yet, but from playing against it in almost 50% of my online matches, I think the U/G deck is really good.  I think it will prove to be a top 3 deck along with the equipment deck over time.

More Thoughts:

Right now, in no particulare order order, I'm thinking:

X, U/G, White are top 3....which makes me fee like a cheater cause U/G and White are both decks I love.

I am curious as to Vampire and Elves. I REFUSE to play them because 1) I dont like vamp/elves theme 2) they ruined the last game. But i dont think they are any slouches.

I fee like Green was suppose to be like U/G (drop bombs) but do it slower at the trade off of a "middle game" (solid 2-5 mana drops). Problem is U/G ramps so fast it is past its "middle game" very quickly.

The Strength of Earth deck (not as burn red) just seems awful the few times I've played it.

Blue and Artifacts both look like they will be right below the top (3) tier and still compete everytime.

No experience with Dragons or other Red deckk (only seen them the one time in campaign) 
More Thoughts:

Right now, in no particulare order order, I'm thinking:

X, U/G, White are top 3....which makes me fee like a cheater cause U/G and White are both decks I love.

I am curious as to Vampire and Elves. I REFUSE to play them because 1) I dont like vamp/elves theme 2) they ruined the last game. But i dont think they are any slouches.

I fee like Green was suppose to be like U/G (drop bombs) but do it slower at the trade off of a "middle game" (solid 2-5 mana drops). Problem is U/G ramps so fast it is past its "middle game" very quickly.

The Strength of Earth deck (not as burn red) just seems awful the few times I've played it.

Blue and Artifacts both look like they will be right below the top (3) tier and still compete everytime.

No experience with Dragons or other Red deckk (only seen them the one time in campaign) 

from my experience, mono blue is top 3, along with white and vampires. I constantly pawns U/G with white and blue as they are much faster.

Im almost sad Mono Blue is so good haha. I played it to death in the last game as I just loved it an now I'm gonna be "that guy" with his "OP Deck."

I have to say though I think the devs did a MUCh better job of balance. I don't see any 1 or 2 decks leagues above the others (vamp/elf of last game). And it feels like even the decks we are saying "bottom tier" to cans till compete with any level, I'm pretty happy
I find monoblue gets countered pretty hard by white, unless you get Lord out very fast. U/G however is a giant bitch, even for white. I feel I'm reall on a clock (and a short one) against that deck.
Im almost sad Mono Blue is so good haha. I played it to death in the last game as I just loved it an now I'm gonna be "that guy" with his "OP Deck."

I have to say though I think the devs did a MUCh better job of balance. I don't see any 1 or 2 decks leagues above the others (vamp/elf of last game). And it feels like even the decks we are saying "bottom tier" to cans till compete with any level, I'm pretty happy

I don't think you need to worry about that.  I doubt mono blue is OP.  I have never had a problem with it.  But then again, I have mostly been playing with the white equip deck and the only deck that has ever really given me any challenge is U/G.
I haven't played with the U/G green deck yet but i've played against it lots and i haven't lost a game to it yet. I've mainly been using Chandras red deck and i am able to burn away her life total and early blockers pretty easily while attacking with Kiln Fiends and Fiery Hellhounds. And if they do manage to bring out a Lorthos or some other beastie then a Flame Slash and a Chandra's Outrage make quick work of them. I'll have too wait until i play with it myself but i think it's being overestimated.
I haven't played with the U/G green deck yet but i've played against it lots and i haven't lost a game to it yet. I've mainly been using Chandras red deck and i am able to burn away her life total and early blockers pretty easily while attacking with Kiln Fiends and Fiery Hellhounds. And if they do manage to bring out a Lorthos or some other beastie then a Flame Slash and a Chandra's Outrage make quick work of them. I'll have too wait until i play with it myself but i think it's being overestimated.

This is what is going to keep this deck from reaching OP Vamp deck status.  Quick decks and burn decks will do well against it.  I haven't played with Chandra's deck yet, but I have played against it a lot with the white equip deck and have had pretty decent success.
Have just played White and Mono G. With white it was a pretty easy runthrough, no other deck seems to be a real anti-deck for it. Then i started playing green, so far its doing quite ok but i had a really hard time against both Mono U und U/G. Overall the U/G seems like it wants the same as Mono G but just does it better. It ramps faster, into bigger threats. 
The only problem i had with mono G is the Vamps, just couldn't beat them, i tried like 6 or 7 times and in the end resorted to Unquenchable Fire and won first time.
The red deck (burn one, other one sucks imo) is going to be the ANTI-OP deck lol. While on it's own it is not inherently great, it can counter both U and U/G and those are two top decks.

So far I dont think there is any "Vamp" deck this time around. And the game has a decent rock, paper, scissors feel without forcing a counter-pick.

[On PC you can't see opponents deck so counter picking is no issue ) ] 
Machinations is very solid. The amount of removal and counters helps out a lot
the white deck is pretty powerful in 1v1 i've been playing ranked matches with it on the xbox and you guys can check for yourself, i'm ranked 2 on 1v1 xbox leaderboards with that deck ^_^

obviously i kep it at 60 cards and you just have to know what to keep in and what to keep out. 
Alright, after spending some time with Strength of Stone in single player, I can safely say that... this deck is bottom tier.

Of course, I haven't unlocked everything yet, but I haven't unlocked everything yet because I keep losing!

The creatures are inefficient.  No 2 mana drop.  The creature removal is decent but not enough of it.  No other way to deal with flying.  You only get 1 Spikeshot Elder which is your best card in the core deck.  

I've beaten everyone up to Sorin so far, but it usually takes me multiple attempts to beat anyone.  I'm dreading the matchup with Karn Frown

after some more playing,

So far my ranking list is

top tier - depths
mid tier - vamp
low tier - dragon 
With white it was a pretty easy runthrough, no other deck seems to be a real anti-deck for it.  

Unquenchable Fire is an awesome deck against white. Gideon (as Jace) shouldn't win many games against Chandra. On the other side Chandra stands no chance against Garruk.

As said before it's really going to be paper, stone, scissors.

But does anybody here have some success with Koth already? He's definitely low tier, especially vulnerable against fliers.
With white it was a pretty easy runthrough, no other deck seems to be a real anti-deck for it.  

Unquenchable Fire is an awesome deck against white. Gideon (as Jace) shouldn't win many games against Chandra. On the other side Chandra stands no chance against Garruk.

But does anybody here have some success with Koth already? He's definitely low tier, especially vulnerable against fliers.

I agree, I spent some time with Chandra's deck and she really has her good and bad matchups. I think she'll hover around mid tiers and possibly seeing more play depending on what the meta settles around.

I've been putting off Koth's deck for a while because it doesn't look that exciting, but I'll give it a go soon. Definately seems like he's low tier though.

I agree, I spent some time with Chandra's deck and she really has her good and bad matchups. I think she'll hover around mid tiers and possibly seeing more play depending on what the meta settles around.

I've been putting off Koth's deck for a while because it doesn't look that exciting, but I'll give it a go soon. Definately seems like he's low tier though.

Ugh... I'm doing Koth's grind right now... He's way to slow and his setups aren't even that good.

Vulnerable to fast decks (pretty much everyone) and flying.

Worst deck, hands down. With Dragon's on his heel.

Besides the awesome U/R deck in DotP09, Red gets no love whatsoever.

After having played with all decks a few times I can safely say all of them seem to be good/great, Strenght of Stone being the only exception.

Chandra's is surprising, I thought the DotP09 version was pretty bad, but this new one's a total improvement.
Ugh... I'm doing Koth's grind right now... He's way to slow and his setups aren't even that good.

Vulnerable to fast decks (pretty much everyone) and flying.

Worst deck, hands down. With Dragon's on his heel.

Besides the awesome U/R deck in DotP09, Red gets no love whatsoever.

When we got the first card reveals for Koth's deck (besides the great 1-drops many expensive creatures without useful abilities and mana acceleration to bring them out) I think I've already stated that I wonder what this deck will be about. Now I'm still wondering what Wizards thought when including a second mono-red deck (which isn't that exciting colorwise) and then one without interesting stuff in it. Alright I will take a closer loook at the deck to see what can be done with it.
From the Decks that i have played so far its like this:
1: Mono  W/ Mono Red Burn
2: Mono Blue
3: Mono Green 
I may come back at this list and laugh a couple weeks from now but here it is. I've fully unlocked all decks BTW so probably close to 150 games now.

Tier 1
1 Realm of Illusion
2 Ancient Depths

Tier 2 
3 Wielding Steel
4 Machinations
5 Blood Hunger
6 Apex Predators
7 Dragon's Roar
8 Guardians of the Wood 

Tier 3 
9 Unquenchable Fire
10 Strength of Stone
I may come back at this list and laugh a couple weeks from now but here it is. I've fully unlocked all decks BTW so probably close to 150 games now.

Tier 1
1 Realm of Illusion
2 Ancient Depths

Tier 2 
3 Wielding Steel
4 Machinations
5 Blood Hunger
6 Apex Predators
7 Dragon's Roar
8 Guardians of the Wood 

Tier 3 
9 Unquenchable Fire
10 Strength of Stone

I agree with most of that list, not sure I would but mono blue #1 but only time will tell. Also I might put unquenchable fire higher, it has so much reach and is a great counter pick to some top decks imo (mono white and blue for example)

Tier 1
1 Realm of Illusion
2 Ancient Depths

Tier 2 
3 Wielding Steel
4 Machinations
5 Blood Hunger
6 Apex Predators
7 Dragon's Roar
8 Guardians of the Wood 

Tier 3 
9 Unquenchable Fire
10 Strength of Stone

I agree with most of that list, not sure I would but mono blue #1 but only time will tell. Also I might put unquenchable fire higher, it has so much reach and is a great counter pick to some top decks imo (mono white and blue for example)

I agree with Will... Red counters the top decks pretty easily - so it has to be higher. Everything else looks pretty good. I'd go something like this:

Tier 1 (Yun and Yang)
1 Realm of Illusion
2 Wielding Steel
3 Ancient Depths

Tier 2 
4 Machinations
5 Blood Hunger
6 Unquenchable Fire
7 Apex Predators
8 Guardians of the Wood 

Tier 3
9 Dragon's Roar

Tier 17
10 Strength of Stone

Tier 1 (Yun and Yang)
1 Realm of Illusion
2 Wielding Steel
3 Ancient Depths

Tier 2 
4 Machinations
5 Blood Hunger
6 Unquenchable Fire
7 Apex Predators
8 Guardians of the Wood 

Tier 3
9 Dragon's Roar

Tier 17
10 Strength of Stone

This looks close to how I would rank them now.

Tier 1 (Yun and Yang)
1 Realm of Illusion
2 Wielding Steel
3 Ancient Depths

Tier 2 
4 Machinations
5 Blood Hunger
6 Unquenchable Fire
7 Apex Predators
8 Guardians of the Wood 

Tier 3
9 Dragon's Roar

Tier 17
10 Strength of Stone

This looks close to how I would rank them now.

I'm going to Go with this, you could argue up or down in tier 2 (although Mach and Vamp probably stay 1/2 there still) but other than that I'm gonna say this is pretty legit.

Im kind of say my two favorite colors are Blue by far number one and Green number 2....so basically I only play OP decks this time around :P uggggg
Vulgarity, even when masked, is against the Code of Conduct : www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep posts appropriate.

Tier 1
1 Realm of Illusion
2 Ancient Depths

Tier 2 
3 Wielding Steel
4 Machinations
5 Blood Hunger
6 Apex Predators
7 Dragon's Roar
8 Guardians of the Wood 

Tier 3 
9 Unquenchable Fire
10 Strength of Stone

I agree with Will... Red counters the top decks pretty easily - so it has to be higher. Everything else looks pretty good. I'd go something like this:

Tier 1 (Yun and Yang)
1 Realm of Illusion
2 Wielding Steel
3 Ancient Depths

Tier 2 
4 Machinations
5 Blood Hunger
6 Unquenchable Fire
7 Apex Predators
8 Guardians of the Wood 

Tier 3
9 Dragon's Roar

Tier 17
10 Strength of Stone

Ok, I admit it was a mistake to put Unquenchable Fire in the same tier as Strength of Stone. Definatly agree with Stone having its own tier.
Would anyone be up for playing against each other with specific high tier decks to see how close we can get to figuring out what goes where?  So far, I have W, U/G, U, and R/B completed and I my Steam name is Thatguy278
Sign In to post comments