Taunting Halfling Rogue

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
What I really want to build is a halfling that draws opportunity attacks so as to trigger his fighter friend's defender aura or combat challenge. I want to have such a high AC vs. OAs that I never get hit. I'd like the highest AC I can get for this while still remaining functional. I did some tests...hybriding into Ardent for the mantle that gives bonuses and...such. So far, the highest I can get is a 23 vs. OAs. Any ideas?
Oh, I'm going to be taunting the crap out of the monsters. He'll swing. 

But I just redid what I was doing...I can get it up to a 26 AC at 1st level.
+2 leather; +2 halfling; +4 dex; +4 artful dodger; +4 harlequin style w/ deft strike.  
Oh. Right. Because swinging at a halfling rogue who is getting into a flank is dumb. Ya. But, no. You're right. Because the DM saw my character sheet, he should totally roleplay the bandit in a fashion that counters my build. I wanna play in your games.
Oh. Right. Because swinging at a halfling rogue who is getting into a flank is dumb. Ya. But, no. You're right. Because the DM saw my character sheet, he should totally roleplay the bandit in a fashion that counters my build. I wanna play in your games.

Generally speaking, simply being marked/subject to a defender aura is reason enough for an enemy NOT to take an OA. And just by seeing you are a halfling they know you are already harder to hit with OA's. They don't need to know anything else to know that taking that OA is just a bad idea.
Oh, I'm going to be taunting the crap out of the monsters. He'll swing. 

But I just redid what I was doing...I can get it up to a 26 AC at 1st level.
+2 leather; +2 halfling; +4 dex; +4 artful dodger; +4 harlequin style w/ deft strike.  

In all likelihood, you're better off going 20/16 Dex/Cha as opposed to your current 18/18. Adds up to the same AC for your OAs (and the same damage for Sly Flourish, if you take that At-Will), but gives you a better bonus to all things Dex related (To-Hit, damage, general AC, Ref, Initiative, key rogue skills).
Fair enough. And just drop harlequin for backstabber or something to that effect for better damage output. If they can hit a 22 AC (or 24 effectively with the fighter's mark), then I can just second chance 'em.

In response to the people above...if you have any suggestions for a taunting halfling character, feel free to post them. The goal is to have a build for a character that supports a swarmy halfling who tries to draw the ire of the enemy. 
hybrid Bard so you can talk sh*t at will. 

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Fair enough. And just drop harlequin for backstabber or something to that effect for better damage output. If they can hit a 22 AC (or 24 effectively with the fighter's mark), then I can just second chance 'em.

In response to the people above...if you have any suggestions for a taunting halfling character, feel free to post them. The goal is to have a build for a character that supports a swarmy halfling who tries to draw the ire of the enemy. 

Well the biggest thing is without an actual mark or similar mechanic you don't have any real means to direct attacks at yourself. You don't have any actual "taunt" ability. The Blade Bravo PP does let you mark enemies at-will, but obviously that wouldn't stack with your defender's mark so you won't get to provoke punishment. You could however switch to brutal scoundrel and use Riposte Strike with Daring Blade to set up a minor catch 22 situation.
Away from books but I do recall a feat in one of the MP books that forces a creature to target you if you move near them.  Requires a Halfling Rogue and deals with Opp Atks.
Prejudice and Discrimination CardUtility 1
[Insert flavor text here ...]
@will Psychic, Fire(Special)
No Action - Forum
Target:Trolls
Effect: You summon every internet troll within 2 clicks.
Size : Gigantic Immune Psychic (It doesn't care what you think) Immune Fire (Special): Flaming powers are what internet troll's feed on. Every flaming point regenerates them by the same amount. Special: If their target has a vulnerability their attacks inflict damage of that type.

I don't think such a feat exists, as far as I can tell there's nothing that forces a creature to make an OA. 

Anyways, a halfling artful dodger rogue can get some mileage out of Opportunity Knocks (MP2, gain CA against a foe that misses you with an OA, or a foe you hit with an OA) and Reckless Scramble (MP1, Turn any shift into a move of the shift distance + 2 squares), to turn any of the rogue's shifting powers into movement powers, then provoke an OA and have it hopefully miss, granting you CA on your attack.  It's even easier once you hit level 13, since you can pick up the Vaulting Charge encounter attack power (D381), and Daring Gamble (MP2) as your level 10 utility power, which means that anyone who attacks you grants CA for the rest of the encounter.  Once you hit level 27, replace Vaulting Charge with First and Final Strike (D381).

Minor action: Activate Daring Gamble
Standard Action: Use Reckless Scramble to convert the "Shift your speed" into "move your speed +2" and move past some enemies.  Take advantage of your huge bonus to AC to ensure that anyone who takes an OA will probably miss (critical hits and OAs vs defenses other than AC aside) and grant you CA for the rest of the fight.
Move action: Move around, provoke some more OAs.  Maybe even run.  Or convert it to a minor action and use Tumbling Strike (E17, D381), turning the shift into a move and doing it all again.
Time between turns: Decide if you want to park yourself somewhere close to enemies you haven't provoked, then use Swift Parry (level 6 utility, D381 or HotFL) to defend yourself if anyone gets too frisky.  If you've managed to have everyone take a shot at you, you now have CA against everyone until the end of the encounter.

You can do this every fight, though you have to watch out for really long distances, difficult terrain, enemies with attacks that target your NADs, getting swarmed, and enemies who somehow telepathically know that they shouldn't take a free swing at the rogue despite having never seen the rogue before and it being the first round of the fight.  Later on, if you have a Ring of Free Time or some other method of acquiring extra minor actions, you can throw in Tumbling Strike or one of your other fun toys to blitz around some more.

You probably won't get too many foes swinging at you once they realize it's a pointless endevor, especially if they're locked down by a defender.  Daring Gamble is good for at least making that first swing count for something.  And there's nothing wrong with having the ability to wander where you please, so long as you didn't spend too many resources acquiring it.

Halfling Quickblade also has some decent support for this style of play, especially the daily, which lets you take a swing at anyone who takes a swing at you.  The level 11 features aren't so hot, but the level 16 is great for going first (which dovetails nicely with Vaulting Charge/First and Final Strike in terms of improved effectiveness against enemies who haven't acted yet) and the powers are nice.
I miss typed I did not mean force.  I am sure there was one that requires an enemy to reroll an Opp Atk and use the lower dice roll. Sill away from books and no DDI.
No Action - Forum
Size : Gigantic Immune Psychic (It doesn't care what you think) Immune Fire (Special): Flaming powers are what internet troll's feed on. Every flaming point regenerates them by the same amount. Special: If their target has a vulnerability their attacks inflict damage of that type.

I miss typed I did not mean force.  I am sure there was one that requires an enemy to reroll an Opp Atk and use the lower dice roll.

Oh yeah. Lucky Skirmisher, though it only applies to OA's drawn while running...
That's it! I think you are right about the running part but it could be useful?
No Action - Forum

That's it! I think you are right about the running part but it could be useful?

Depends entirely on how often you find yourself using the run action. Taking -5 to hit for +2 to speed is a harsh tradeoff...
Is the "Run"ning penalty to both Ranged & Melee Attacks or just Ranged?
No Action - Forum

Is the "Run"ning penalty to both Ranged & Melee Attacks or just Ranged?

-5 is on all attacks, plus you grant combat advantage as soon as you start running until the start of your next turn.
<-- Must get DDI!
No Action - Forum

So far so awesome. I like the build up and selection of powers for later, but I'm initially set on this first level...I want a strong foundation. Is over-focusing on the AC+ vs. OAs a waste of my resources? Should I just stick with the ones I get naturally via being a haffring and artful dodgey? Opportunity Knocks seems great. What powers do you think I should go with?
You should probably check out the Guttersnipe theme, it seems to fit what you're going for pretty well.  The free power is basically a run-by slash, and the level two utility is a taunt triggered when an enemy misses you that gives them a -2 penalty to hit anything until they hit you.  How's that for OA incentive?

Honestly, being a halfling artful dodger and taking the Defensive Mobility feat is about as much optimization for not getting hit by opportunity attacks provoked by moving as you'll most likely need.
As others have said, opponents have to have at least some reasonable chance of hitting you if you want them to continue trying after the first or second time when they realize that you're kind of hard to hit.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I think BlinkBlink's stat advice from post #7 is quite good. And once you reach level 11, the Shadow Assassin PP might be worth looking at.

And if after a round or two nobody wants to take OA swings at you anymore, that's not exactly horrible. A rogue who can walk wherever he wants on the battlefield with impunity is a beautiful thing.
This kind of build is weak for 3 reasons:

1- As a striker you are reducing your ability to do damage, because you are using so much feat slots plus class features, just to be able to do a trick that causes no extra damage. 

2- Monsters will only try to hit you once or twice, them they will never try to OA you again. And if they are marked, they may not even try to first attack against you.

3- Because by the rules says that every effect is visible to everyone that can see it, you gaining so much AC will make the enemy alot less likely to try to OA you. ( It makes no sense to attack a tumbling halfling getting away from you in a insane acrobatic movement, if it will make that big hammer wielding fighter smash you in the face, and remember again that the enemies knows about the mark, and what happens if it breaks the mark)

3- Some monsters have melee basics that attacks Fort or Reflex, and them most of your +AC bonus will be nothing, and you will take a hit to the face, probably with some secondary effect that will annoy you even more, like a slow or ongoing damage.

And in the end just being able to be where you want on the battlefield doesnt worth it.
Like Mad_Jack said, artful dodger and defensive mobility, in combination with some good natural defences will be enough to prevent most of the OA's, and will give you the advantage of reaching almost anywhere you need to be to get AC, without the need to lose so many feats to achive it.

But thats just my opnion.

If you want to RP a halfling rogue that taunts the enemies to attack and them screw their turn, take a look at the riposte strike atwill. 
 With the proper feat support you can Riposte the enemy if it try to hits you any of your allies adjacent to you, and it will give the enemy -5 to hit, or even -9 by paragon, and will still cause a good damage, because most of the time you will either be double attacking, and that means alot of dpr like TW, or you will be denying the enemy of his actions, most likely a stun, wich is great too.

Is over-focusing on the AC+ vs. OAs a waste of my resources? Should I just stick with the ones I get naturally via being a haffring and artful dodgey?

Don't over-focus. I've played this tactic of intentionally provoking as many OAs as possible (combined with Reckless Scramble and Daring Gamble FTW), and I can tell you from experience that the Halfling Nimble Reaction bonus + the Artful Dodger bonus + Second Chance = getting hit on OAs about 1/day or less. Even then, it is typically on a crit so sinking additional resources into your OA AC (like Defensive Mobility) wouldn't help anyway. Anything that does help will get dimisihing returns--do you realy want to spend a feat to reduce your frequency of getting hit from 1/day to .5/day?

However, if you find yourself getting hit/crit too often, Nimble Dodge might be a good feat to get as it is useful even for non-OA hits and it prevents crits too.
I actually thought about maybe being a bit of a duelist and picking up the feat that lets me use a heavy blade when I would instead use a light blade, picking up a scimitar, and then getting Heavy Blade Expertise, that way it benefits the weapon choice and also grants the bonus to OAs. 

I'm flipping around a few other character concepts for this game, as well. I don't really know what I want to play...but this idea arose from reading Temple of Yellow Skulls and wanting to play Uldane.

However, if you find yourself getting hit/crit too often, Nimble Dodge might be a good feat to get as it is useful even for non-OA hits and it prevents crits too.

Second Chance is an immediate action, which by RAW it only works when it's not your turn, which means that you can't use it to block OAs on your turn (though you can use it to block OAs if the leader gives you a chance to move or something on the leader's turn).  I'd prefer it if second chance was a free action or something (or even no action, since it's luck-based and thus could mean someone misses even when you're unable to dodge such as being stunned, surprised, or petrified or something), but that's the way it is.
There is this build here community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... which does about what you are asking

Sign In to post comments