Pushy Dwarf Fighter.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm working on a pushy little dwarf fighter.  I currently have him up to 4th in a campaign.  He's a battlerager with dwarf stoneblood (I couldn't resist gaining 10 temp hps with an at-will). 

At 2nd I took Bludgeon Expertise (+1 to hit and +1 square of push), and at 4th Shield Push (push with combat challenge attack).  When I get the gold together, I'm going to have the ritualist in the party make me a Knockback Warhammer (+1 to pushes). 

So on a combat challenge attack, or on Tide of Iron, Driving Attack or Bull Charge, I'll be able to push an opponent up to 3 squares.  Does anybody have any suggestions for future feats/items/powers that will help me maximize this?  Neither the Inertial Weapon nor Bludgeon Expertise specify a type of bonus to the distance pushed, so it seems other feats and items would add to the distance.

I realize if I wanted to go for straight pushiness, a human with fighter weapon talent would have been better (starting with 2 feats, including Forceful Opportunist).  But I really like the survivability of the battlerager.
Battering Shield, Rushing Cleats, Gauntlets of the Ram.

t~
I'm working on a pushy little dwarf fighter.  I currently have him up to 4th in a campaign.  He's a battlerager with dwarf stoneblood (I couldn't resist gaining 10 temp hps with an at-will). 

At 2nd I took Bludgeon Expertise (+1 to hit and +1 square of push), and at 4th Shield Push (push with combat challenge attack).  When I get the gold together, I'm going to have the ritualist in the party make me a Knockback Warhammer (+1 to pushes). 

So on a combat challenge attack, or on Tide of Iron, Driving Attack or Bull Charge, I'll be able to push an opponent up to 3 squares.  Does anybody have any suggestions for future feats/items/powers that will help me maximize this?  Neither the Inertial Weapon nor Bludgeon Expertise specify a type of bonus to the distance pushed, so it seems other feats and items would add to the distance.

I realize if I wanted to go for straight pushiness, a human with fighter weapon talent would have been better (starting with 2 feats, including Forceful Opportunist).  But I really like the survivability of the battlerager.

I actually played a very similar fighter for one session thus far. Started at level 3, so I didn't yet have dwarf stoneblood (I took Dwarven Weapon Training for the craghammer, which is a straight-up awesome weapon).

After six very challenging encounters with my party (five total PCs in the group), I have to say: I'm going to retrain Tide of Iron for Footwork Lure. While pushing people really far is incredibly amusing (especially with difficult terrain around), it actually is a bit counterproductive. The problem is that you frequently want to stay stuck to the guy you're pushing, since when he's Way Over There, you can't punish him with a MBA if he shifts or attacks your buddy. Now, you can always push less far if you want, but that's unsatisfying. If Tide of Iron let you shift all the way to follow the pushed opponent, it'd be amazing. As I read it, it doesn't.

My thinking is that Footwork Lure will make my fighter more sticky and better at rearranging the battlefielt to keep bad guys flanked (for CA and rogue SA) and so on. I've got Bull Charge and the daily that's just like Bull Charge but better to handle pushes, plus the daily power on the Staggering weapon (which is a slide, not a push, even better). It's too bad, I wish I could get a third at-will. Maybe someday the THP won't be as important and I can swap out brutal surge and just get big THP from invigorating encounter powers (probably not, but maybe).

Then again, if your party is different, you might get better use out of it. Push them through damaging ground effects caused by your casters, into other tanks or what have you. But what I found was that I kept going to the Crushing Surge when I needed an at-will, in part because I could use the THP and in part because I didn't want to lose sight of my marked foe (those probably go hand in hand as well- if the bad guy is Over There, I probably don't need as many THP, heh).

All that said, the combo works nicely with hindering shield at paragon (push the enemy 3 squares and slow him, which means he can't get back), world serpent's grasp (now that he's slowed, if you get a bonus attack from an AP or a warlord or OA or what have you, you get to prone the dude). There's a feat in Epic that lets you Daze with your pushes, which is even better. The interesting thing is that a lot of those feats work with "forced movement", so the pull powers (whose name escapes me right now) also slows and/or dazes people, which is pretty amusing as well.

Take a look at the fighter handbook, on page two under the builds there's the Tank. Pretty dang good skeleton there- I'm sort of hybridizing with LDBs other warrior build- Mr. Smith, but overall I really like the battlerager hammer fighter. Very, very hardy. I got through all six of those challenging encounters without running out of healing surges and only ever needing leader-based healing once (maybe twice). Tons of THP + minor action second wind.
Who are ye callin' a pushy?
While pushing people really far is incredibly amusing (especially with difficult terrain around), it actually is a bit counterproductive. The problem is that you frequently want to stay stuck to the guy you're pushing, since when he's Way Over There, you can't punish him with a MBA if he shifts or attacks your buddy.

This is what I was going to say.  Fighter has some great tools to push, but the class itself is supposed to stay adjacent to its targets, so the end result is that you become pretty bad at your job.

Unless you've got a steep cliff/fire pit/pool of acid in every encounter or some good party synergy (it could combo well with a zone-based controller), pushing as a fighter gets frustrating pretty quickly.  If you want to be a grumpy dwarf, it's more effective to be a brawler and focus on grabbing.  You can still do some pretty fun stuff with the utility that lets you drag someone around.

I think pfoooti's on to something with ToI vs. FL. ToI was the gold standard for movement at-wills for a fighter, until FL came along. Forced movement is a great tool fighter's can use to keep mobs off the squishies and where they want them. But like pfoooti said, fighters are really geared to keep their marks close at hand to control them. This is where FL shines. You get your forced movement, along with a move yourself, in any direction. This can allow for sweet positioning for you and your allies. And if I'm not mistaken, Bludgeon Expertise increases the distance of slides as well as pushes. Not sure how exactly that would work with FL since you slide the target and follow. Maybe someone with more system mastery can explain that interaction.
Shield Push is pretty amazing and LDB (who put together the figther handbook and is damn knowledegable about the martial classes) rates is gold. To combo with that, you really want Mobile Challenge to allow you to follow your target of CC.  Since you don't have fighter weapon talent and thus can't get Forceful Opportunist, I'd look closely at Hammering Iron to give you forced movement on your OAs as well.
What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
The Push It build in my sig has a list of several push enhancers in the first post, I'm sure there's more, but that should help get you started.
Pushing has already been very useful, with the ability to interrupt any attacks the bad guys are making on my allies and push them out of range (the DM has pretty much stopped trying to violate my mark).   I was thinking by 11th, I'd be able to push an opponent 5 squares with ToI or a combat challenge attack, then slow them with Hindering Shield.
Sign In to post comments