Mono-U Turbostasis Help

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, first off, I realize that Stasis isn't that great of a deck right now. It's a deck I enjoy playing, though, and I'd like to make it as good as it could be. Here's the list I'm currently using.

4x Stasis
4x Frozen Aether
4x Brainstorm
4x Foil
4x Thwart
4x Boomerang
4x Daze
3x Tel-Jilad Stylus
3x Counterspell
2x Ensnare
1x Spellbook
1x Viceling
22x Island

4 noncreature artifacts, 1 creature, 8 enchantments,  25 instants, 22 lands

The deck is based on a rather elderly Extended list from back in the day.  (When Stasis was in Extended. Good Lord.)  TJS is taking the place of Claws of Gix, being a permanent way to get rid of Stasis if I need to, possibly also save the Viceling, and double as a replacement for Feldon's Cane. The rest of the deck is probably pretty obvious: Stasis plus Frozen Aether locks them down, and I can win either by Viceling or decking and TJS. (In the latter case: Run out of cards in Library, keep one untapped Island plus one other, put tapped Island on top of Library, pay for Stasis, draw, play Island, repeat.)

My main problem in this deck is actually getting Stasis. I can keep a counter wall up for a good long time and have the 'storms for card draw, but there have been a number of times where Stasis is just stuck on the bottom. I also realize that FoW and JtMS would be great here, but I have none and can afford neither.

Thoughts?
On the CO IRC, generally as TorpedoFish.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
You're the straightest shooter I know on these boards. You don't mince words about your opinions, and I respect that about you. The whole fiasco you described in the last State of the CO Forum was particularly enlightening (and kind of disappointing with regards to how they see us).
56868168 wrote:
Ah, Tsuyo. When your post isn't one sentence long full of asterisks, you have much wisdom to share with us .
From the IRC:
(19:52) RuinsFate: You know, I was gonna agree with something PalOn said... but I think I'm just gonna through my lot in with tsuyo's sudden train-wreck grade interjection. (01:45) Nausicaa: yes your rage is a righteous rage :D (01:45) Nausicaa: righteous rage of torpedo
My sci-fi writing.
A friend of mine took first place at a local Legacy tournament with a Stasis list.

A few things he ran that you're not:

Chronatog - After the lock, just skip every turn and don't worry about paying for Stasis.  
Muddle The Mixture - Tutors for Stasis, an okay counterspell.
Ebony Owl Netsuke - He ran this in place of Viseling.

Also needs FoW, if you want a good blue deck in Legacy, you need Forces, really. Otherwise, consider running something else. Also the Tel Jilad Stylus looks pretty bad. If you really want an anti-decker, use a singleton Emrakul or something. Just discard it at the end of every turn you draw it. Chrome Mox might be decent as well.
Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon. The little dog laughed to see such sport, And the Dish ran away with the Spoon. He ran from conviction, and fed his addiction as the Dish heated the Spoon... The Spoon begged to go, but the Dish shouted : "NO!!" "The heroin will be ready soon!" "Any time doing the right thing is funny as hell, it's probably Chaotic Good." IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2jcu9fs.png)
Funny you brought this up, I've been trying to brew a strong Stasis legacy deck for a long time.

Foil is bad. You need your lands to sustain Stasis. At least use Mental Misstep and try to save money to get your copies of Force of Will.

Forsaken City? You don't need to worry about drawing lands after playing stasis, I guess, with this one.

About fetching stasis, Muddle the Mixture would be too slow if you don't have 0-cmc countermagic. Why don't you splash white? Just make sure all lands you're using can provide blue mana, not just white. Enlightened Tutor is what you need I guess. Possibly a 3-of.

Black Vise is banned, so I don't think that Chronatog would be so good. Ebony Owl Netsuke seems a very nice choice, I had never thought of it. If you want to use the tog/owl engine, I suggest that you run 3-of each card.

Also, if you ever find the money to afford JtMS, just use 1 or 2. I don't think that more copies of him would do any good.

If you're about to use white, this means you can have a better sideboard, more choices for you. I would also consider 1 or 2 creatures with vigilance, though I'm not so sure about it.
The best splash to support Stasis actually belongs to green: Garruk Wildspeaker lets you pay the Stasis upkeep every turn.  Root Maze ensures that your opponent won't be able to use their lands/artifact mana and comes down easier/faster than Frozen AetherSylvan Library gets you to the pieces you need faster.
The best splash to support Stasis actually belongs to green: Garruk Wildspeaker lets you pay the Stasis upkeep every turn.  Root Maze ensures that your opponent won't be able to use their lands/artifact mana and comes down easier/faster than Frozen AetherSylvan Library gets you to the pieces you need faster.

Fair enough.  I'm worried about not having creature removal though. Another reason I suggested white.

What's gonna happen when you've got a dredge matchup? I mean, Bridge from Bellow would ruin your day.
Okay, first off, I realize that Stasis isn't that great of a deck right now. It's a deck I enjoy playing, though, and I'd like to make it as good as it could be. Here's the list I'm currently using.

4x Stasis
4x Frozen Aether
4x Brainstorm
4x Foil
4x Thwart
4x Boomerang
4x Daze
3x Tel-Jilad Stylus
3x Counterspell
2x Ensnare
1x Spellbook
1x Viceling
22x Island

4 noncreature artifacts, 1 creature, 8 enchantments,  25 instants, 22 lands

The deck is based on a rather elderly Extended list from back in the day.  (When Stasis was in Extended. Good Lord.)  TJS is taking the place of Claws of Gix, being a permanent way to get rid of Stasis if I need to, possibly also save the Viceling, and double as a replacement for Feldon's Cane. The rest of the deck is probably pretty obvious: Stasis plus Frozen Aether locks them down, and I can win either by Viceling or decking and TJS. (In the latter case: Run out of cards in Library, keep one untapped Island plus one other, put tapped Island on top of Library, pay for Stasis, draw, play Island, repeat.)

My main problem in this deck is actually getting Stasis. I can keep a counter wall up for a good long time and have the 'storms for card draw, but there have been a number of times where Stasis is just stuck on the bottom. I also realize that FoW and JtMS would be great here, but I have none and can afford neither.

Thoughts?

Speaking from personal experience, mono-blue is the easiest to run. As stated by others, Foil is bad. You want to keep your lands in play, not in the discard pile. You can even "offensively use Stasis defensively". That is, if you come upon a time where you have the Stasis but not the Aether, drop Stasis anyways. Bounce your lands with Daze or something and keep a U open. You NEED Chronatog and Muddle The Mixture. Chronatog finished the lock, as it +Stasis+Frozen Aether=game. Muddle is a decent Counter AND it tutors for Chronatog and Stasis.

Also as stated, TJS is terrible for an anti-decking solution. Feldon's Cane is EXPONENTIALLY better.

Damnit..now I gotta build my mono-blue Stasis again.
A friend of mine took first place at a local Legacy tournament with a Stasis list.

A few things he ran that you're not:

Chronatog - After the lock, just skip every turn and don't worry about paying for Stasis. 
Muddle The Mixture - Tutors for Stasis, an okay counterspell.
Ebony Owl Netsuke - He ran this in place of Viseling.

Also needs FoW, if you want a good blue deck in Legacy, you need Forces, really. Otherwise, consider running something else. Also the Tel Jilad Stylus looks pretty bad. If you really want an anti-decker, use a singleton Emrakul or something. Just discard it at the end of every turn you draw it. Chrome Mox might be decent as well.

I agree with Tequilasaurus  tog=win, muddle = toolbox, owl=altnerative pwnage.

I also recommend using
Rescue use it @ the end of your oppenents turn to bounce Stasis to reset and relock until u get chronotog.

couldn't you use Jace, the mind sculptor, for win, emergency bounce, and to help draw the lock?
would exploration be worth splashing green for? among other things of course, but it will allow you to bounce your lands and replay them much faster, and if you can drop it t1 or so, speed up the lock.
I dont see how you plan to win with this deck other than your opponent just getting annoyed and rage quitting.
Stall the game long enough to draw the singleton Viceling. If they throw removal at it, shuffle library and have another go. They should die very fast after you get the Viceling down.

I still think and agree with the Green splash. Makes the deck a lot more efficient with Root Maze, gives you card draw in Sylvan Library, and untap effects in Garruk.
Photobucket
all they have to do is play a path to exile or something of the like and its gone. One creature wins are tough.
If Viceling gets killed, you could just deck em, with no way to get out of it because you can replenish your own library.
Photobucket
That seems to be the most likely way that this deck will win. How would it be good for legacy if its a mil deck?
Mill decks are depedant. If its:
Draw based then it should be fine, as long as you can stop everyone elses plan long enough not to die.
If its actually mill based [Tome Scour, etc.] then you'll be hard pressed. A lot of decks nowadays squeeze in Progenitus and Emrakul [Natural Order / Show and Tell]
Photobucket
Double post:
I'm considering making a U/G Stasis deck.

Any ideas on what I should put in after filling in the core:

4 Forsaken City
4 Misty Rainforest

4 Brainstorm
4 Root Maze
4 Stasis
4 Force of Will
3 Sylvan Library
2 Garruk Wildspeaker
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Photobucket