[Archetype]Grand Architect

247 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been noticing in recent days a certain resurgence in Grand Architect decks. So I decided to make the Archetype thread to gather all the ideas and brewers together. If we all contribute, we can make the decks stronger and better than if we were on our own.

How the deck works
You use a combination of cheap, effective blue creatures and artifacts to accomplish different goals. You can poison the opponent with Blighted Agent and then proliferate them with lots of free mana from Grand Architect. You can mana ramp into Blightsteel Colossus for the win. You can control the opponent with Vedalken Certarch.

Cards
Grand Architect: Its a blue lord, turns artifact creatures blue to give them a boost, and mana-ramps. It is vulnerable to Bolt however.

Blue:
Show

1cmc:
Cosi's Trickster: Gets stronger with Stoneforge Mystic, Squadron Hawk, fetchland fetches.
Enclave Cryptologist: Draw power, and removal bait.
Hedron crab: Mills... Not sure if this belongs, but its a cheap blue creature that can tap for mana and do double-duty by milling the opponent.
Skywatcher Adept: Simple and effective beater. Really likes the boost from Architect
Vedalken Certarch: Control. So very much control. Tap-down red mana sources against DeceiverTwin, tap down batterskull... Think about. Tumble Magnet is a huge threat, and it only taps down creatures.

2cmc:
Augury Owl: Helps you dig for pieces. Taps for mana.
Blighted Agent: Taps for mana, unblockable, infect. Works well if you work with Contagion Clasp and Contagion Engine as artifact mana dumps.
Coralhelm Commander: Powers up, taps for mana, evasion, and is a merfolk lord.
Lighthouse Chronologist: Another big threat to distract from Architect. If it goes off, you get an immeasurable advantage few can play around. It also taps down for mana and benefits from the mana dump engines.
Oculus: Draws cards, taps down for mana.
Riddlesmith: Draws cards, works well with artifacts.
Screeching Silclaw: Another mill card. Makes a good target to distract from Architect. Works well with Hedron Crab.
Thrummingbird: Taps down for mana, proliferates, and has evasion.

3cmc:
Aether Adept: Upsets tempo, taps for mana.
Cryptoplasm: Can copy artifact creatures for metalcraft, architect for boost, opponent's creature, whatever you need.
Deceiver Exarch: Untap your own stuff, tap down theres, defends, taps for mana.
Guard Gomazoa: A beautiful attacker.
Neurok Commando: Has shroud, taps for mana, and draws you cards.
Neurok Invisimancer: Can't be blocked, a very threatening attacker. Also a good top-deck to let your attackers through any blocker that exists.
Reckless Scholar: Draws cards.
Scroll Thief: Draws cards.
Sea Gate Oracle: Draws a card, and digs at the same time.
Spined Thopter: Counts as an artifact for metalcraft and taps for mana. Has evasion and can come out a turn early.
Treasure Mage: Fetches big mana-dumps like Steel Hellkite.
Vedalken Anatomist: Another control element. Taps creatures, weakens them. Works well with the proliferate mana dump.

4cmc:
Argent Sphinx: Flying, blue, and has the best removal evasion in the game. As long as you leave blue mana untapped you blank their removal. It gets pseudo-vigilance. It can block Batterskull and blank the life gain.
Phyrexian Metamorph: Can copy your creatures or theres, and adds to metalcraft. Can come in turn 3 if needed or turn 4.

6cmc:
Consecrated Sphinx: Big giant butt, flies, and draws you cards.
Sphinx of Jwar Isle: Blanks removal, attacks hard, but can't be tapped for mana.

Artifacts:
Show

0cmc:
Chimeric Mass: Mana dump for artifacts.
Everflowing Chalice: Mana dump for artifacts.
Mox Opal: Enables metalcraft and mana accel.

1cmc:
Brittle Effigy: Efficient removal, and we'll always have the mana available.

2cmc:
Contagion Clasp: Proliferates, and makes a great mana dump. Enables metalcraft and does spot removal.
Hovermyr: Simple, decent attacker.
Ichor Wellspring: Draws a card, enables metalcraft.
Nim Deathmantle: Another mana-dump.
Phyrexian Revoker: Shut down planeswalkers or other cards that are a threat to us.
Prophetic Prism: Draws a card, and mana fixes. Turns grand architect mana into blue or any other color mana you need.
Spellskite: Blanks most spot removal, works well with the blue mana we have available.
Sphere of Suns: Mana accel.
Torpor Orb: Hurts many major decks in Standard.

3cmc:
Crystal Ball: Digs for cards, mana dump.
Etched Champion: Can block like crazy, kills planeswalkers, etc.
Mimic Vat: One word: shenanigans.
Shimmer Myr: More shenanigans.
Tumble Magnet: Slows down attackers, taps down combo pieces, and helps towards metalcraft.

4cmc:
Decimator Web: Poison, mill, and life-loss, all at once. Makes a good mana-dump.
Unwinding Clock: Pseudo-vigilance for all your artifacts.

5cmc:
Batterskull: Batterskull's abilities are pretty cheap with grand architect mana ramp.

6cmc:
Contagion Engine: This lets you proliferate poison, charge counters, etc. Its also great for mass removal when the board position is against you.
Mindslaver: 10 mana has never been so awesome.
Steel Hellkite: Its flying, its firebreathing, it takes colorless mana, and it destroys the opponent's board. Oh and its fetchable by Treasure Mage.
Thopter Assembly: Its big, it flies, and it brings in buddies.
Wurmcoil Engine: Theres a reason I always call this 'Wurmcoil Titan'. Its one of the best things you can do with six mana.

Land:
Inkmoth Nexus: Enables metalcraft, deals poison to be proliferated later on and is just in general, efficient.
Dread Statuary: Its a semi-efficient manland, and is pretty cheap. You can't use architect mana on it though. Pay 1 {U} and he'll be boosted by the Architects. Makes a fine beater.

Builds:
Grandly, by myself:
Show

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Contagion Engine
SB: 1 Mindslaver
SB: 4 Into the Roil
SB: 2 Torpor Orb
SB: 3 Twisted Image
SB: 1 Mana Leak
SB: 2 Stoic Rebuttal
SB: 1 Spell Pierce

The deck is a good mix of threats and control. It sits back, builds its board position, then on a dime(usually with the casting of Treasure Mage or Architect) goes into aggro mode. It kills lower-quality decks, but isn't the best in the mirror. The mirror-matchup is probably the toughest, so many decisions to make.

Prolitifect, credit to Jeff2k114
Show

[deck]
//Creatures (23)
4x Grand Architect
4x Thrummingbird
4x Phyrexian Metamorph
3x Treasure Mage
2x Blighted Agent
2x Deceiver Exarch
2x Spellskite
1x Wurmcoil Engine
1x Consecrated Sphinx

//Sorceries (3)
3x Gitaxian Probe

//Instants (2)
2x Into the Roil

//Artifacts (7)
3x Tumble Magnet
2x Everflowing Chalice
1x Contagion Engine
1x Mindslaver

//Lands (25)
11x Islands
2x Glacial Fortress
2x Seachrome Coast
2x Mystifying Maze
4x Inkmoth Nexus
4x Tectonic Edge

//Sideboards (15)
3x Mental Misstep
2x Spell Pierce
2x Corrupted Resolve
2x Divine Offering
2x Ratchet Bomb
1x Spellskite
1x Triskelion
1x Contagion Engine
1x Myr Battlesphere
[/deck]
Basically, this deck proliferates infect counters. I think it needs some tweaking, like more contagion clasps. Has significantly less reliance on metalcraft.

Grand Thopter, credit to HighwayPatrol:
Show

Dragons:
Grand Architectx4
Shimmer Myrx3
Thopter Assemblyx2
Wurmcoil Enginex1
Treasure Magex3
Steel Hellkitex1
Neurok Commandox2
Scroll Thiefx3
Spined Thopterx3

Swords:
Sphere of Sunsx2
Everflowing Chalicex2
Semblance Anvilx1
Tumble Magnetx3

Diet Coke:
Mana Leakx3
Preordainx2
Negatex2

Dirt:
TechEdgex3
Misty Rainforestx4
Scalding Tarnx4
Islandx11

The blue utility creatures here draw cards, and Mage searches for the Thopters. Shimmer Myr lets you do the neat combat trick of flashing in Thopter at the end phase, then get a tonne of 1/1 flying tokens.

Decimation, built by me:
Show

[deck]
// Lands
    17 Island
    3 Halimar Depths
    4 Inkmoth Nexus

// Creatures
    3 Neurok Commando
    4 Thrummingbird
    4 Phyrexian Metamorph
    4 Grand Architect

// Spells
    2 Contagion Engine
    4 Tumble Magnet
    3 Contagion Clasp
    4 Decimator Web
    4 Tezzeret's Gambit
[/deck]
This deck basically proliferates the opponent to death via poison. Its very untested.
Reserved for future use x2.
Thumbs up for swords dragons and diet coke.
My life as a pigeon.
It was a direct statement. I didn't know that addressing you directly would have that effect on you. Please forgive me lil' lady. I might be an outlaw, but I'm a gentleman first; and your respect is very important to me.
>mfw
Any thoughts on blue sun zenith
My life as a pigeon.
It was a direct statement. I didn't know that addressing you directly would have that effect on you. Please forgive me lil' lady. I might be an outlaw, but I'm a gentleman first; and your respect is very important to me.
>mfw
Also how many games has argent won you directly. Is it really that useful
My life as a pigeon.
>mfw
Its only been fishbowling against a caw-blade deck, artifact aggro, etc. It has worked well for me. I won't be able to test the deck irl because Canada Post has shut down and I needed my grand architects. Sad.
Any thoughts on blue sun zenith

I wish it was an artifact to dump mana into... lol.
Are there more efficient guys. Like jwar
My life as a pigeon.
>mfw
well, Sphinx of Jwar Isle is two mana more, has only one more power, and doesn't cost anything to blank targeted removal. Argent Sphinx can avoid any kind of removal, blanks Batterskull's lifelink, has pseudo-vigilance... You just need to keep metalcraft active.

You can use whatever you want HP, its really up to you. I was just gathering a bunch of decks that used Grand Architect together so we could work on them. Playtest the deck, whatever version you want, post your results and changes, etc. Thats how these decks will be made better.
Well Ill be posting my new decklist shortly, the other one was poop compared to this lol. I just came back against Vampires by using a Leyline of Anticipation to cast a Thopter, put 5 tokens on the field. chump blocked their turn and cast another on the end step. rinsed and repeated.
My life as a pigeon.
>mfw
New Decklist

Dragons:
4 Grand Architect
4 Neurok Commando
2 Oculus
2 Phyrexian Metamorphp
3 Sea Gate Oracle
2 Shimmer Myr
1 Sphynix of Jwar Isle
1 Steel Hellkite
2 Thopter Assembly
3 Treasure Mage
1 Wurmcoil Engine

Swords :
1 Dissipation Field
1 Leyline of anticipation
1 SEmblance anvil

Diet Coke :
3 Mana leak
4 Negate
2 Preordain

23 Islands

It eats up most aggro, you can easily drop any of the 6 drop artifacts on turn 4 and its down hill from there. God Help them if you draw another or a treasure mage. 

My life as a pigeon.
>mfw
I went back to Spined Thopter instead of Shimmer Myr in my testing on MTGO. Finally could afford the Metamorphs. I was finding I needed blue and artifact creatures more than flashing in artifact creatures. I may put a couple in the sideboard. I did replace my Stoic Rebuttals with Prophetic Prism, which just won me a game against a rage extractor deck with Norn's Annexs out. Even better, Prism can convert Architect Mana into blue or whatever other color you'd need. It also draws, and increases the number of artifacts in the deck.

And yes, Argent Sphinx is as good as I say it is. Every game I've had it out, it dominated... until I'd bring out Wurmcoil Engine or Steel Hellkite. In fact, out of the three times I've summoned Wurmcoil, my opponents have conceded the game on the spot twice. I really like this deck. It can be inconsistent sometimes, but thats what grinding is for, to find the inconsistent cards and to learn what kind of hands to mulligan.
Commando is the greatest card for this deck. Gives you so much draw power.
My life as a pigeon.
>mfw
I really like this deck and hope to run something like it. Here's my version:

I've gone with the doppleganger over the spined thopter or the neurok commando. It may not work, but I'm thinking that in addition to the obvious trick of casting a wurmcoil engine, you can also use it with the metamorph to copy your opponent's creatures.
I really like this deck and hope to run something like it. Here's my version:

I've gone with the doppleganger over the spined thopter or the neurok commando. It may not work, but I'm thinking that in addition to the obvious trick of casting a wurmcoil engine, you can also use it with the metamorph to copy your opponent's creatures.

why trinketmage?
My life as a pigeon.
>mfw
I included two copies of trinket mage to search up the everflowing chalice, brittle effigy, flight spellbomb and mox opal. The mana sources being an alternate route to reaching six mana drops if you don't get the architect, and the effigy and spellbomb as efficient answers (i think the spellbomb is highly underrated). Also they help with metalcraft.
My friend and I have been working on an architect deck for a few months now.  He usually plays it in our local FNM.  This is what we are currently using:

sb:
[deck]2 ratchet bomb
3 enclave cryptologist
4 flashfreeze
2 stoic rebuttal
2 mental mistep
1 platinum emperion
1 mindslaver[/deck]

There are still a couple things that might change before tonight's FNM though.  For example, I am not sure the necropede is needed and don't think the mental misteps are really pulling their weight.  Also, very interested in certarch.  I think he could replace the necropedes AND the cryptologists.  Necropedes are kind of a leftover from before spellskite was printed as a much needed way to survive against aggro, but spellskite does a really nice wall impression so it might not be needed.  I think certarch might be stronger in the control matchups.  Also thinking of -1 island and +1 chalice.  Chalice makes a good alternative method of getting your bombs out when you don't draw architect.  Hesitant to drop the land-count though, and also don't really want to lose blue sources for UU1 architect cost.  Upping chalice count is even more important I think if we do run the certarch though.

Whatever the case though, I think the sideboard needs quite a bit of work.  Emperion is hilarious in a lot of matchups.  In particular, we seem to have a lot of monoblack and UB control decks with very few ways to really handle it.  Steel Hellkite is most oftent he best bomb though.  Especially with a spellskite out.  When you don't have them, or fear a DoJ, you can always fetch wurmcoil, but steel hellkite usually wins games much easier.

edit:  Also, really want to put metamorph somewhere, but also not sure there's really room for him anywhere.  If anything, he'd be competing with certarch for the necropede slot.

This deck has four bullets; Wurmcoil, Hellkite, Contagion, and Thopter which can be searched out by the treasure mage. Each bullet is perfectly fine to draw and powerful in a wide variety of situations. The most situational bullet is Contagion Engine.

It uses cheap utility artifacts like Metamorph and Tumble magnet to improve the resiliency of the deck. Argent Sphinx makes a very useful attacker that has proven to be effective. The prisms can transform architect mana into blue mana, and also draw you a card and enable metalcraft.

The spellskites are necessary after I've done some grinding with the deck. They help protect against targeted removal and can block vamps and aggro pretty well. I removed Jace so i've now upped my artifact count to 23 cards out of 37, plus three conditional artifact cards (Inkmoth Nexus).

I am currently considering a side-deck. I'm thinking things like
Elixir of Immortality
2x Brittle Effigy
1x Spellskite
4x Steel Sabotage (rebuys draws with Prism, copies new creatures with Metamorph, rebuys Contagion Engine, etc, as well as countering major artifact threats in the format)
1x Molten-tail Masticore
3x Trinket Mage

Still need 3 more cards. Blue needs more wrath effects...
My friend and I have been working on an architect deck for a few months now.  He usually plays it in our local FNM.  This is what we are currently using:

sb:
[deck]2 ratchet bomb
3 enclave cryptologist
4 flashfreeze
2 stoic rebuttal
2 mental mistep
1 platinum emperion
1 mindslaver[/deck]

There are still a couple things that might change before tonight's FNM though.  For example, I am not sure the necropede is needed and don't think the mental misteps are really pulling their weight.  Also, very interested in certarch.  I think he could replace the necropedes AND the cryptologists.  Necropedes are kind of a leftover from before spellskite was printed as a much needed way to survive against aggro, but spellskite does a really nice wall impression so it might not be needed.  I think certarch might be stronger in the control matchups.  Also thinking of -1 island and +1 chalice.  Chalice makes a good alternative method of getting your bombs out when you don't draw architect.  Hesitant to drop the land-count though, and also don't really want to lose blue sources for UU1 architect cost.  Upping chalice count is even more important I think if we do run the certarch though.

Whatever the case though, I think the sideboard needs quite a bit of work.  Emperion is hilarious in a lot of matchups.  In particular, we seem to have a lot of monoblack and UB control decks with very few ways to really handle it.  Steel Hellkite is most oftent he best bomb though.  Especially with a spellskite out.  When you don't have them, or fear a DoJ, you can always fetch wurmcoil, but steel hellkite usually wins games much easier.

Hmm, I had not considered Platinum Emperion! I find Thopter Assembly to just not be effective enough. I'll be trying to get a Mindslaver to replace it and I already have the Emperions. You're right, it is hilarious.

How well does your buddy do with that deck?
Out of about 40-50 people at our FNM, he usually gets near top8 if not in it.  Usually he either goes 4-1 or 3-1-1.  Last week he unfortunately went 2-1-2 though and took like 22nd or something...  One of those draws was a single 50 minute game!  The deck seems to have an issue with ties, but this was before we traded for our last 2 inkmoth nexus.  With these, we should be able to finish these games out much more often, since it's far more likely that he can get that 1 poison counter in and just proliferate through a locked down board.  At least, that's the hope.  If that doesn't work, we'll have to look at some more options to break open these draw games.
Thopter Assembly is the bees-****in-knees. Grand can turn them into 2/2 fliers. If they dont have anything to block with you deal 10 up high, and drop the assembly again. And theyre able to stop vamps, and Sword weilding birds. Bees-****in-knees. 
My life as a pigeon.
>mfw
HighwayPatrol, its way too slow.

Lets say you have a Shimmer Myr out and can generate the six needed Mana. You do so at the end of your turn, then on your upkeep, the Thopter Assembly goes back to your hand, and you get five 1/1 flying Thopters. One issue. They still have summoning sickness. They have not been on the field since the beginning of the upkeep step, but since part of the way through it. So its still yet ANOTHER turn before you can swarm and attack them.

Lets say you have a Shimmer Myr out and can generate the six needed Mana. You do so at the end of your turn, then on your upkeep, the Thopter Assembly goes back to your hand, and you get five 1/1 flying Thopters. One issue. They still have summoning sickness. They have not been on the field since the beginning of the upkeep step, but since part of the way through it. So its still yet ANOTHER turn before you can swarm and attack them.

Cast the 5/5 pre blockers, block a critter. You upkeep you get 5 more 1/1s. Recast during their turn. Beat over the head with thopters. 
My life as a pigeon.
>mfw

Cast the 5/5 pre blockers, block a critter. You upkeep you get 5 more 1/1s. Recast during their turn. Beat over the head with thopters. 

Cast Steel Kellkite for 6, same as Thopter. Block a critter the same size as the Thopter Assembly can. Untap, attack for 5, and pay X to sweep out their best cards. Next turn do the same.

You have now done the same amount of damage to them, only you've killed at least two of their permanents in addition, and 5 of it was earlier.

Thopter Assembly is terrible unless you're using it as a repeatable source of tokens (i.e. only recasting when you have no Thopters left), in which case it's very slow for a deck like this. It would have been an amazing card if it wasn't completely outclassed by several alternatives in the same block. 
This is my current deck and sideboard:

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Argent Sphinx
SB: 1 Treasure Mage
SB: 4 Into the Roil
SB: 4 Preordain
SB: 1 Platinum Emperion
SB: 4 Mental Misstep

I'll explain the sideboard later, and my siding strategies for different decks.
 I like your decklist there Zeroth. The only thing I would change is I would run 3 Mimic Vat instead of the 3 Spined Thopters. I have found that lately there is not alot of decks that can handle Mimic Vat and all of our other artifacts. The vat works great with all of your creature here.
Thanks lionheart17.

I was in the middle of a post before but then my hard drive crashed... *sigh*

Anyways.

Sideboard strategies:

RUG:
+1 Treasure Mage
+4 Into the Roil
-1 Spined Thopter
-4 Vedalken Certarch

You need to be able to find, summon, and rebuy Contagion Engine. Thats the long and short of it. Cast it when they're tapped out. Rebuy it if they stabilize. Play around their counterspells.

Caw-blade:
+4 Into the Roil
+1 Argent Sphinx
-1 Mindslaver
-4 Certarch

Or
+4 Preordain
+1 Argent Sphinx
-1 Mindslaver
-4 Certarch

You either want speed or disruption. Bounce Batterskull back to hand, destroy Stoneforge. Force them to spend the whole price on Batterskull. You want speed to find Argent Sphinx and enough artifacts to enable metalcraft on it. Argent Sphinx can block a batterskulled token all day long and blank their lifegain. And it flies over their heads. And it easily blocks sworded up hawks profitably. I remove mindslaver because its very unlikely that a turn under your control will be that game breaking.

The reason I remove Certarchs is simple: Caw-blade is the control here. We're the aggro. Certarch is a control element. We have 20 creatures, they have at most 10. We have few if no counters or bounce or draw. We have aggro and some stall and some lockdown elements. We are the aggro. Remember that. Play like that. Keep cards in hand so you can rebuild your board if they wipe it with a rare DoJ. Run out Spellskite before Architect, etc. Don't forget, if you have two Architects on the field, paying 1 :u to turn Spellskite into a blue creature will defeat Dismember.

Mono-black control and vamps:
+4 Mental Misstep
+1 Platinum Emperion
-1 Mindslaver
-4 Vedalken Certarch

Mental Misstep adds another layer of removal denial that you already have with Spellskite. It also stops an early goblin guide, and Emperion prevents black life loss effects. With 8 cards to blank targeted removal, plus its absurdly high toughness, it'll be hard to deny Emperion. If they do have a total of 8 power or greater on the field, do not attack with Emperion. They will chump block to kill it because he's that big of a threat. He blocks Kalastria Highborn, Pulse Tracker effects, etc.

For other situations, try not to lower the artifact count in the deck by more than 1. If you used certarchs in game 1, remove them in game 2, bring them back game 3. Try to side artifacts for artifacts if possible for my deck.
 Upon further practice with your list Zeroth I dropped the Prophetic Prisms for Perilous Myr, they seems to work alot better especailly with a vat in play. They also shore up the aggro matchup much better. Even Vamps becomes a winnable match. Lastly I also tested Torpor Orb in Chalices place and I really like the results. Chalice is good when we need mana quick. Architect gives us that mana quick, I find that the trick is controlling the board until we can go off. Torpor Orb shuts down alot of decks and doesn't hurt us at all.
What was your testing process like? And it was this exact list, with the Argent Sphinxs?
JACE AND MYSTIC ARE BANNED! OH HAPPY DAY!

1st draft of this deck.  Ichor wellsprings and myr superion are probably going to be the first things to get
swapped out as they have been underwhelming so far.  Baby jace + sphinx is so good it feels like cheating and having
lots of mana production gets the spine engine going pretty quick.
Gonna work on a sideboard later, we'll see what happens after the bannings.
This is the deck list I've been working on recently. Still working on the board but this is pretty much how if figure I like it right now. Oh and I apologize about the lack of links and the like but am completely new to the site and not really computer savvy.

11 islands
11 plains

4x Grand Architect
4x Treasure Mage
2x Blighted Agent
2x Mirran Cruisader
4x Preordain
3x Kuldotha Forgemaster
1x Blightsteel Collosus
1x Wurmcoil Engine
1x Steel Hellkite
1x Myr Battlesphere
1x Contagion Engine
4x Preordain
2x Tezzeret's gambit
4x Tumble Magnet
1x Sword of War and Peace
1x Batterskull
2x Venser the Sojourner
Opinions on Treasure Mage fetching Caged Sun and picking blue for it?
It can act as aan additional lord for the blue deck
no caged sun is a bad card and does not win the game like fetching for a wurmcoil does
Opinions on Treasure Mage fetching Caged Sun and picking blue for it?
It can act as aan additional lord for the blue deck

Interesting.  Would be better if blue had a way to crank out blue token creatures (that's not lullmage mentor).
Tutoring up a bomb creature is going to be better than the sun more often than not.
I will try this out in a casual deck to toy with my noobie friend tho ;)
This article has an interesting variant:
www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/22140_I...

Came in 61st in block constructed.

There was a suggestion of using Oculus and Birthing Pod. Sac Oculus, draw a card and get Grand Architect. I'll discuss more later.
I like the general idea, but:
Why are you plaing mono blue?
How do you beat Valakut and splinter twin?
It seems suboptimal in general, and you lack protection to the architect.

But maindecking Mindslaver seems like a great way to win out of nowhere ([c]SpellSkite[/C]) 
How to Autocard
card: [c]cardname[/c]-> [c]Vampire Nighthawk[/c] -> Vampire Nighthawk
I like the general idea, but:
Why are you plaing mono blue?
How do you beat Valakut and splinter twin?
It seems suboptimal in general, and you lack protection to the architect.

But maindecking Mindslaver seems like a great way to win out of nowhere ([c]SpellSkite[/C]) 

The silly thing about that is that if they are at an odd amount of life you can't make them kill themselves. You also have to have a target for the ability. Would be kinda cool though.
Grow old or die trying.
Monoblue is because of Grand Architect and Argent Sphinx.