Commander prices

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anyone else think its ridiculous that 2 of the bigger sites are charging 40-60 bucks a piece for teh commander decks that arent even released?  Glad i preordered mine while there were still $150 for the set. 

It jsut irks me that these 2 sites claim to be "your source for all things magic" yet they artificailly push up prices. Im sick of paying to subsidize their pros with playsets each time a new set drops.

If magic is gonna do anything like this commander stuff in the future again they should jsut set up a site and sell it directly to the public liek mattycollector.com.
A good reason to support local stores. The less competition-oriented local places around here always sell at MSRP. It really annoys me when shops (online or local) mark this stuff up. I am an advocate of free markets, but it still feals sleazy to me to mark up new product just to separate kids from their dollars.
What??

Um, you do know that one of the decks has a new card that is $15 by itself, and is completely exclusive to this one deck?  That one's prolly the one that went up. It's basically a red Vindicate.

People can see the prices for new singles from the Commander decks, and that is what drove prices up from MRSP.  I told everyone months ago that if they made a particularly good card for Commander that it would be really exclusive and thus become expensive.  This is a natural consequence.
Aarrgh, he just hit me in the nards with a TV DINNER! -actual phone conversation
122343719 wrote:
I can't really understand people that just go along with the school, job, marrige, kids type goals in life because that is what they think is right. If people want those things they should want them because it makes them happy. I had an ex like that, she wanted those things because her family and her peers all wanted those things. Thinking for yourself is one of the greatest things you are capable of.
500th post- 3/15/11 1000th post- 4/7/12
Holy ****.  Just went to Starcity and the prices are bonkers.  Just absolutely insane.  What does Flusterstorm even do?

I'm starting to have really bad feelings about how much I'm going to have to pay for my deck.  No wonder people are inflating the prices. 

...I spoke too soon...
Aarrgh, he just hit me in the nards with a TV DINNER! -actual phone conversation
122343719 wrote:
I can't really understand people that just go along with the school, job, marrige, kids type goals in life because that is what they think is right. If people want those things they should want them because it makes them happy. I had an ex like that, she wanted those things because her family and her peers all wanted those things. Thinking for yourself is one of the greatest things you are capable of.
500th post- 3/15/11 1000th post- 4/7/12
Anybody who pays SCG's and CF's prices for these decks is doing it wrong.  These decks are not part of a limited print run and are going to be sold at big box stores (ie, K-Mart, Sears, Target, Meijer, Walmart, etc...) at MSRP.  They are going to be continuously printed until the demand for the product is met and widely available at MSRP throughout their print run.

Unless you're one of those die-hard gamers who emphatically support their local game store regardless of what they charge, only an idiot would pay over MSRP as long as they're vailable in the big box retailers.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Capitalism: they will charge whatever people are willing to pay. If they can't sell them at those prices, they will have to reduce until they do start to sell.
My FLGS is selling these at RRP (or maybe £0.01 over just to make the price easier). Then again, they didnt increase the price on the Event Deck with the Stoneforges, and all the Intro Packs are the same price regardless of whats in them.

They dont even charge more for older boosters (inc. WWK).

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Um, you do know that one of the decks has a new card that is $15 by itself, and is completely exclusive to this one deck?

You logic is flawed, that card is selling for $15 (its actually 3 cards at $20 and 1 at $15) because that is what SCG decided to sell it as, not because of any market equilibrium between supply and demand.

By this reasoning they could say any of the new commanders is worth $50 and mark the decks up to $100+

And the price would go up elsewhere becaue all the retailers watch each others prices and adjust theirs accordingly.
Serves you right for not preordering all 5 for $125 before the contents were released.
Holy ****.  Just went to Starcity and the prices are bonkers.  Just absolutely insane.  What does Flusterstorm even do?

It's a Force Spike with Storm.
In other words, a Legacy-playable counterspell, just like Mental Misstep.

~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
ANYONE who pays more than $30 for any of these decks is a fool.  They will be sold at MSRP at every single Wal-mart and Target in the country.  This is just online retailers taking advantage of people who can't read and trying to wring as much money as they can out of the product before things settle down.

The singles prices are actually probably justified, though.  Seeing as how there's only one Flusterstorm in a $30 deck without terribly much other value in it, $15 is probably the right price for it.  It's when the price goes above $30 that things get stupid.  I know I'll be selling mine off for $15-20 while the price is ripe.
A guy I play with called wizards and they said that this product, like Archenemy and Planchase, will marketed to sell in big box retailers (unlike event decks), so paying above MSRP is foolish.  SCG has put a price of 15-20 on a few cards, but that will likely plummet as soon as the decks are released, and people have access to packaged product.

My flgs sells them all (at this point) at $30 because they know that they will loose business to Target if they boost prices.  SCG is taking advantage of hype, it is what they do.
These are all pre-sale prices for singles.  They will fluctuate as people get to play with them.  Though as long as they can staty out of any legacy deck then the prices should all go down and stay down.  This product seems like it will sell a lot and so they should make a large and maybe multiple print runs.  Its already going to be in big box stores like others have mentioned.

As far as the comment on supporting local game shops.  If the price is slightly higher at a local shop then I will support the local shop.  Though mostly what I have found is that my local shop is either cheaper or at the same price as I could get the products else where.

There really is no need to spend over MSRP on this product though.  The only people paying more are either un-informed or just don't have the patience for a store selling at MSRP to get them in stock.
Capitalism: they will charge whatever people are willing to pay. If they can't sell them at those prices, they will have to reduce until they do start to sell.

Agreed, but:

Assumptions of the free market include:
-Perfect information - All parties in a transaction have access to all information concerning that transaction
-Rational agents - All parties in a transaction act in their own best interest.

The target consumer base for this product includes 14 year olds. They can hardly make rational decisions and probably don't realize that a single's value is tied to its supply which is suddenly increasing at the rate a press can print cards. Therefore I argue that the above free-market assumptions are violated and the markups are a predatory exploitation of a momentary fart in the free market. It's a sleazy tactic to separate kids from dollars.

I wish I could support my FLGS more often, but the closest one keeps odd hours, and some of the others are just too out of the way for any type of regular shopping (you'd think living in the suburbs of Chicago, this wouldn't be such an issue...), so most of my card buying gets done at places like Meijer and Target (sometimes K-Mart). They never go over MSRP, and several times a year Meijer puts all trading cards on sale at 20% off.

Places like this often have these types of products on the shelf at MSRP for months after their initial release. If you have a FLGS that you like and supports your draft group or whatever, then I'd support them for that, but if they're going to jack up prices on decks like this then just hop on over to Target for this one thing. 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
I preordered all 5 for 120 bucks at my FLGS.

Yup. Good times.
The online prices will sink once people realize they can get these decks at wal-mart and the market gets flooded with cards.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
you'd think living in the suburbs of Chicago, this wouldn't be such an issue

When i was living in the city proper i never had this problem, but then again Morton Grove/ Skokie had none.  I had to go to one in i think Glenview, or there was a couple in Wriglyville, whenever i made it over that way.  My sister just moved ot Oak Lawn so i'll be looking for one over there when i go visit her next.  So i guess my point is, it just depends which burb your stuck in. 

I'll be buying mine at a big box.  My FLGS has a hard time holding onto their limited supply.

Edit: Quote Fail
The prices would be LOT lower if people hadn't seen the spoilers. Tongue out
"And the word my father taught me that evening, the word meaning 'the strongest', was mage." - Tezzeret the seeker, Test of Metal
ANYONE who pays more than $30 for any of these decks is a fool.  They will be sold at MSRP at every single Wal-mart and Target in the country. 

Well ain't that just hunkey-dorey for everyone that has Walmart access.
Show
Serves you right for not living in America.

It's a Force Spike with Storm.
In other words, a Legacy-playable counterspell, just like Mental Misstep.

It's not a Force Spike, it only hits instants and sorceries. Great legacy card, obviously (with AMAZING art), but it's nowhere near as good as that would be.
Rules Adviser, casual tournament organizer, lover of EDH and MtG evangelist.
Yeah, it's not a Force Spike, it's a strictly better [c]Spell Pierce[/C].
Edit: Nvm. Thought Pierce was instant/sorcery.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.

Sign In to post comments