Dervish with Whirlwind Attack

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
3.5e
I have a fighter who has developed along the Whirlwind Attack feat track.  I just started up with the Dervish PrC.  The question is, can I use the Whirlwind Attack while doing the Dervish Dance?

Here is the relevant text from the Dervish Dance ability:
A dervish can become a whirling dancer of death a certain number of times per day.  While in this dervish dance, he can take a full attack action (for melee attacks only) and still move up to his speed. However, the dervish must move a minimum of 5 feet between each attack when using this ability, and he cannot return to a square she just exited (though he may return to that square later during his full attack). The dervish is subject to attacks of opportunity while dancing, but may tumble normally as part of his move. A dervish prevented from complteing his move is also prevented from finishing his full attack.

Here is Whirlwind Attack:

When you use the full attack action, you can give up your regular attacks and instead make one melee attack at your full base attack bonus against each opponent within reach.
When you use the Whirlwind Attack feat, you also forfeit any bonus or extra attacks granted by other feats, spells, or abilities.

One way to interpret it is that the Dance allows you to use the Full Attack Action and move your speed.  The only restriction is that the Dervish must move between each of the multiple attacks.  Whirlwind attack then allows the Dervish to "trade" that full attack action for one attack against each enemy within reach.  The WA restriction doesn't come into play because the Dervish Dance does not grant you extra attacks, it only allows you to also move your speed.  So, you can use them together.

However, the sticking point is the movement and the reach.  If the Dervish moves between each attack of his Whirlwind, he could potentially come into reach of many more enemies than he would otherwise.  One could argue that this is the bonus you get from synergising two difficult to attain feats; others would cry munchkinism.

The PC in question is a Half-Giant (i.e. he's Large sized) and he wields a Guisarme, so he normally threatens squares 15 and 20 ft away.  His total movement is 45', so he can affect a large swath of the battlefield if these feats are used together.  One way to rule might be to say that he can use both together, but when he starts his WA, only those enemies that are within reach at that moment can be attacked, and he must move at least 5 ft between each of the attacks.  If this movement takes him out of range of one of the previously identified enemies, then he can't take an attack against that enemy unless he moves back into range.

How would you rule/resolve?
My ruling would be that the character can move his speed during the round, and at any time during his movement trigger a full attack - whirlwind.
At the point where he triggers the full attack - whirlwind he designates all enemies that he threatens as "hittable". He then proceedes to hit each enemy that was designated hittable, but has to move at least 5' between each strike. No additional targets become available during this movement.
I just got married, 16.7.2011, to a sexy librarian :D Suck it fate, there's no justice in the real world. There's no way I deserve this ;) -------------- The most interesting rules always kinda taste like lasagna
First I don't know what Half-Giant your using but the one in the Expanded Psionics Handbook is medium with powerful build.

As for the Whirlwind Attack I would probaly let him use Whirlwind Attack and move before and/or after the attack (simmilar to Spring Attack) without worrying about moving 5ft after every attack.
Et in arcadia ego~Even in paradise I am here Est Sularus Oth Mithas~My Honor Is My Life You, sir, are a liar. Or delusional. I like your style.- Zombie_Babies
Show
The two editions are very different...and make for two different games. In general, 3.0/3.5 is built around more-or-less full freedom in terms of character customization. In contrast, 4.0 is built around balance and ease of play. Honestly, I think WotC should have maintained both lines as parallel games.
(real life friends came up with this not me) The Resident Nonexistant Antichrist Neanderthal Amish Werewolf Jesus Delusion.