The "types" of classes such as sentinel and hunter

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sorry for the possibly silly question, but I am still slightly perplexed by something. Some handbooks and the character builder offer optional builds, such as the Slayer and Knight. How exactly do these work? Is it essentially a new class by modifying a current one by giving it specific options? I checked out the books and they don't provide a clear explaination to it.

Let me get this right by this example:
Choosing a Sentinel Druid, I can pick the Sentinel Druid only powers as well as the original Druid while leveling up. And that is it? I continue playing as a 'leader' through a Sentinel Druid? Nothing else is special other than the starting stats and choices of abilities?

Thank you for your guidance, I love how the D&D community is kind =P
Yup.   They're basically subclasses; think of them as a new class which counts as a member of the old class.

So a Slayer is a melee striker who counts as a Fighter for the purposes of qualifying for game elements.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
Yup.   They're basically subclasses; think of them as a new class which counts as a member of the old class.

So a Slayer is a melee striker who counts as a Fighter for the purposes of qualifying for game elements.

So I have the option of choosing the Slayer abilities or the Fighter abilities? The way they have it listed makes it look like I can only pick the Slayer abilities, hence why I avoided these things for so long.

So I have the option of choosing the Slayer abilities or the Fighter abilities? The way they have it listed makes it look like I can only pick the Slayer abilities, hence why I avoided these things for so long.

When you have a choice, you may select from the parent class or the subclass.

Slayers only get to choose Utility powers, so they can freely choose Slayer of Fighter (or Knight) Utility powers.

Sentinels may pick from non-Beast Form Druid Utility, At-Will Attack and Daily Attack powers.

Ok, so all it really is a subclass that has specific benefits and different starting stats. Thank you, this makes me feel better playing with them and playing them :3
If you are unconvinced read page 57 of Heroes of Fallen Lands, the box "choosing powers from another source".

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/14.jpg)

If you are unconvinced read page 57 of Heroes of Fallen Lands, the box "choosing powers from another source".

Wow, interesting. So that means my Fighter can pick the Slayer At-Wills if I so chose to? All these abilities are universal, there is just a difference in starting stats and abilities then?

Wow, interesting. So that means my Fighter can pick the Slayer At-Wills if I so chose to? All these abilities are universal, there is just a difference in starting stats and abilities then?

Slayer at wills? I'm sorry, but which at wills are you talking about?

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

Slayer at wills? I'm sorry, but which at wills are you talking about?

I think he means the Slayer stances, and the answer is no, you can't take slayer options as a fighter. You CAN however take Fighter options (Feats, PPs, EDs) but NOT fighter powers (at least not with out a new feat, can't remember the name).
It's not a matter of Right vs. Left, it's a matter of right vs. wrong My Charop Works Who Am I Really? The Theme Handbook I'm an
D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium
Someone was saying earlier that a Slayer could choose to take the Knight's abilities. Here is another way of confirming my understanding of it then, by listing the class and a few of the ability pools that they can choose from:

Option A:
Fighter
fighter abilities

Slayer
fighter abilities
slayer abilities

Knight
fighter abilities
knight abilities

Or does it go:

Option B:
Fighter
fighter abilities

Slayer
slayer abilities

Knight
knight abilities

Looking back, I now notice that I DO have options. I'm not just stuck with two Slayer stances. So it is Option B (excluding feats, paragon paths, etc) afterall. I'm looking at the Heroes of Shadow book right now, and I'm noticing I do get a choice when I have to pick a new spell. Some stuff is forced though, like a level 2 Utility (but could I pick a different utility, like the Skill based ones from PH3?). Sorry guys, I just want to make sure I fully understand it, because making a Mage on the character builder allows me to pick Wizard At-Will attacks.
If it has a level and you're given a choice, you can take whatever.

If it has no level and you're given a choice, you must take a listed item.

If it has a level and you're given no choice, you must take the listed item.

That actually answers it, hah. Looking at the Necromancy options for a Mage, it basically is telling me "these options are in addition to all the other wizard abilities", while the Blackguard says "pick one of the following two abilities". It depends on the class you pick then, on what your options are. Ugh, sorry for the headache, but thank you.
If it has a level and you're given a choice, you can take whatever.

If it has no level and you're given a choice, you must take a listed item.

If it has a level and you're given no choice, you must take the listed item.

Remember some subclass builds are not given a choice on something with a level but a build that has a choice can still take it.

A Warpreist (cleric) with the sun domain gets to specific at-wills no choice. a Templar-ugh-(cleric) picks at-wills and could take one if he wanted.

The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
It depends on the class you pick then, on what your options are. Ugh, sorry for the headache, but thank you.

The Essentials books and Heroes of Shadow actually spell it out pretty well.  It will tell you if you have a forced option, a choice of a limited group of options, or can just pick "A Level 2 Fighter Utility" or whatever.

-O
That actually answers it, hah. Looking at the Necromancy options for a Mage, it basically is telling me "these options are in addition to all the other wizard abilities", while the Blackguard says "pick one of the following two abilities". It depends on the class you pick then, on what your options are. Ugh, sorry for the headache, but thank you.

These good descriptions were added because a lot of people had your exactly same question.

The sub-class thing seems to sugest to me that basically it means the designer can do more class features but still maintain the old options like feats.

Which make me wonder why they don't unbolt the feat restrictions from class to role/power source, ie. Fighter feats could be taken by any class which has the Martial power source or the Defender role.

http://collectingrealities.blogspot.co.nz/
Sign In to post comments