Too nice?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Need some advise if this was the right move or not. A few days ago the group I'm playing in went through a pretty tough challenge and as a reward for it the group got some nice items, though geared to the strikers and defender of the group. Myself included. However, one of the items given was one I had mentioned chatting with another player of attempting to save and buy. The items was a Genasi Soul Armor so I said I'd take it. However, one of our groups other players, a newbie to D&D, wanted it as well and from his expression was dead set on it.
Attempting to be nice I decided to let the newbie have it.

I am guessing the DM was attempting to give an item without favoritism in play but something tells me I might have made a mistake. So did I?
No, you didn't make a mistake - you put your own desires aside to make a kind gesture to a fellow player. In my book, that's never a mistake.

See if you can find another, and if not see if you can find something that the other player would like better so you can catch your desired item when he moves on to something else.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

You did the right thing, in my mind. Im sure at the least the dm gave you karma points for it
My colors and decks
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg
Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Pilot of: Thrullilicious Bats in the Belfry Glittering Totem Citadel of Barbs Thallid Salad Spreading Slivers Swamped Hardheaded The Big Green Kobold Fire, Fire! The Eyes of Deception It's Complicated Candyman Faceless How to Annoy Friends and Alienate Enemies
Where's the fun in that?
nothing wrong with this. 
What you should have done was slay his character then tell the player that dead men don't need armor as you rip apart his character sheet and laugh maniacally.

Your way works as well, I suppose...though you earn no points for showmanship.
Nothing wrong with the way you did it, it was very kind.

I would have offered to roll him for it though, and the loser gets first pick next time there's something you both want.  Maybe just remind him nicely that next time, to be fair, you get first pick.

As a DM I hand out magic item vouchers to specific people.  I balance the number and level of items each person gets and when they're eligible they get a voucher for a magic item of X level or lower of their choice and I get to approve what they choose.  This way I don't have to think about wish lists and everybody gets what they want within reason.

Players can trade their vouchers or do whatever they want with their items after they are rewarded though, that's their business.  I just make sure that everybody gets their fair share and what they do with them after that is up to them.

The party likes this system a lot.  It's fair to each player and they get input on the specific item they will be rewarded.

As for monetary treasure and consumables, the party agreed these all go into a general fund and anyone can draw on the fund at any time with permission from the rest of the group.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

It'll only be a mistake if, for some reason, he starts expecting to be given more than his fair share of treasure over the rest of the game or starts being obnoxious about it if it doesn't happen.  Otherwise, I think you did the right thing.  Generosity is a good thing.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
wow. This is what I like to see. Too many threads about people either complaining about a selfish player or trying to defend their own selfish character, its good to see this sort of thing.

If he's a newbie, he's gonna need all the help he can get. And you are teaching him to be a team player. If he learned something, your generosity will likely get paid back in kind.

Of course, it cost you a sweet item, but there will be other sweet items. The deed is done, forget about it. Do your best not to hold it over his head.
I think what it should come down to is what your character would have done. If your genasi is a selfish jerk then giving the armour away would definitely have been a mistake. Assuming that your character is generally easy to get along with, then you probably made the right decision.
Need some advise if this was the right move or not. A few days ago the group I'm playing in went through a pretty tough challenge and as a reward for it the group got some nice items, though geared to the strikers and defender of the group. Myself included. However, one of the items given was one I had mentioned chatting with another player of attempting to save and buy. The items was a Genasi Soul Armor so I said I'd take it. However, one of our groups other players, a newbie to D&D, wanted it as well and from his expression was dead set on it.
Attempting to be nice I decided to let the newbie have it.

I am guessing the DM was attempting to give an item without favoritism in play but something tells me I might have made a mistake. So did I?

WHAT???  How DARE you play 4e (or any version of D&D!) in any way other than the most self-centered, competitive manner.  What"s wrong with you?  It's not a co-opt game or anything you know.

Nah, just joking. 

I think what it should come down to is what your character would have done. If your genasi is a selfish jerk then giving the armour away would definitely have been a mistake. Assuming that your character is generally easy to get along with, then you probably made the right decision.

I think this is exactly what you should be asking. For example I was playing a game where the Drow Assassin had looted the house of a powerful noble. He then returned with his booty and offered a few of the pieces to the other members in the group (mostly the ones he had no use for). However the NPC that the DM had been playing for a few sessions in order to help us fight some rather tough battles wanted the magical pair of boots. So as the assassin while the character was sleeping he tried to steal them back. An unlucky role woke up the NPC so the assassin killed him before he could make a ruckus. Was that the smart thing to do? No. But because that is how he had been playing his character that is somethign his character would have done.

(I am not saying kill him just follow your character) 
Sometimes the character needs to take a back-seat to the player.  In the OP's instance, I think that what was done was admirable as it helps foster good sportsmanship (so to speak).  Kudos.
Come join Team Apathy! or not whatever shrug.gif

Yo! tm  afro.gif

Sometimes the character needs to take a back-seat to the player.  In the OP's instance, I think that what was done was admirable as it helps foster good sportsmanship (so to speak).  Kudos.

Hear hear.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Hear hear.

This. Of course many decisions can be made by simply asking "What would my character do", but if that gets in the way of having a good time with your friends, choose your friends. All too often, I hear of some guy posting that his character is a "jerk" when defending actions that cause tension with his group and I always ask myself "what's the point of that?". 
Wow, some small bit of wisdom from kharmin.  I promise not to let it go to my head.
Come join Team Apathy! or not whatever shrug.gif

Yo! tm  afro.gif