6/15/2011 BoaB: "Bloodcrank"

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
There are two directions to go with this:

Massive discard with an initial set of aggressive beaters to control the hand, and get the combo going; the opponent will lose life to the combo far before he decks any good amount of himself.

Or... eschew the heavy discard and go straight to burn. BR Vampires with Mindcrank thrown in. More of the damage than the beaters, and losing on some of the discard, although the decsk are similar.

I figure we'll see more of the former than the latter. There's a third option, a control element with discard and bird and few beaters, but this one doesn't favor BR's strengths, and I think the favoritism in beater/discard/burn will force the deck away from a control angle.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
My initial idea was to go straight UB.  Card draw, library manip. from blue and a little black burn like Sign in Blood and more proliferation instead of needing to dip into red for more burn.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
I like the deck, but why bother testing it against anything but Cawblade?
I don't want to be too critical (I encourage going rogue whenever feasible), but it seems like you should have tested the deck against real decks.  Surprise, combo beats aggro decks that can't interact with the combo!  Please, tell me something I don't know next time.

It seems like the deck should have been tested against Splinter Twin and Caw-blade.  Well, I can see skipping the Caw-blade matchup if you see it as just unwinnable -- I don't usually expect rogue decks to topple Public Enemy #1, unless they're built particularly with that thought in mind -- but I'd have liked to see how this deck does against Splinter Twin, the other combo deck in the field.  I'm not even sure which combo's faster/better, and while I suspect Splinter Twin has an edge (Spellskite seems like it would interfere somewhat with the Bloodchief Ascension plan), I'd have liked to have seen the match.
probably wants inquisition of kozilek instead of duress...takes out deceiver exarch, takes out stoneforge mystic, takes out spellskite...
spellskite is prob good in sideboard...u can use it against the splinter combo, or help defend ur ascension from into the roil

more hideous end in main/sideboard...only weak against vampires, otherwise it kills most creatures in standard...
arc trail can afford a few copies to be in mainboard...kills hawk and stoneforge with one spell if not equiped...great against vampires

would like to see how it goes against cawblade...
Is there a good, suitable and cheap replacement for Bloodghast in the BoaB decklist? I'm finding it hard to get physical copies of the card for cheap (like, under $7 cheap) and running four makes it a little on the pricey side.
Maybe Entomber Exarch to fill in for the Ghast if you can't get or only have a smaller number? He might not be as big of a bang but the discard ability could be a nice touch.

I would have never thought of this combo and I can dig it, now to see what personally I can do with it. keep up the good articles. :D
I still would prefer to see more than two match descriptions in each article. For all I care, even multiple matches against the same deck. And you can't really build a Standard deck without addressing the two main decks: Splinter Exarch and Cawblade. Especially Cawblade. You don't even have to show the match against it, but you should at least tell your readers how the deck performs against the big bogeyman of the format: I imagine that people only really want to build the deck if it has any sort of play against Cawblade.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
I still would prefer to see more than two match descriptions in each article. For all I care, even multiple matches against the same deck. And you can't really build a Standard deck without addressing the two main decks: Splinter Exarch and Cawblade. Especially Cawblade. You don't even have to show the match against it, but you should at least tell your readers how the deck performs against the big bogeyman of the format: I imagine that people only really want to build the deck if it has any sort of play against Cawblade.

Although I like seeing the BoaB decks going up against the top contenders, I don't see it as a requirement. After all, it is very difficult for a budget deck to take out the best in the field. When they do, it is usually to player error or really good/bad luck on the draw.

I wouldn't mind a quick mention of how it handled, though. 
MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred: Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature. Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself? Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill. Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it. Him: You can't do that. Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Although I like seeing the BoaB decks going up against the top contenders, I don't see it as a requirement. After all, it is very difficult for a budget deck to take out the best in the field. When they do, it is usually to player error or really good/bad luck on the draw.

I wouldn't mind a quick mention of how it handled, though. 

Magic is a game of minmaxing. Just like he told us about when to be on the play and when to be on the draw, there are probably some tricks to handling the Cawblade matchup as well. What do you use your removal on, how do you sideboard, and so forth and so on. Besides, like I said, the main question is: how does it handle? I wouldn't take a deck to FNM if I knew it lost to Cawblade all the time.

Also, I think it would be an interesting exercise for Jacob to make budget versions of the popular decks. I think he did that before with Jund or something. Then again, it's fairly difficult to make a budget Cawblade deck. It'd mostly just be a Caw deck.

76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
Is there a good, suitable and cheap replacement for Bloodghast in the BoaB decklist? I'm finding it hard to get physical copies of the card for cheap (like, under $7 cheap) and running four makes it a little on the pricey side.

I'm running a version of this with perilous myr instead of bloodghast and it works pretty well. I also have more discard and a little bit less burn. Honestly though I still haven't played it against caw blade yet either, not many of my friends have the proper deck as it's expensive to put together
I was hoping to see some games against the elephants in the Standard room. Something blue with Jace, something white with Mystic + mythic equipment. Doesn't even have to be the most common Cawblade. 

But I do love Staggershock and black lifedrain, so this was moderately interesting anyway. Just... take it up against some of the serious matchups?
I don't think anyone is saying that this is going to have a vasy amount of success against CawBlade, and tbh testing against it only really underlines how good CawBlade is in todays meta, rather than actually telling us anything useful about BloodCrank. In theory at least, this deck could possibly win against CawBlade but I think that to do so the other guy would have either had to mulligan pretty low or have kept a bad hand, and you have a great hand, and draw pure gas.

The big problem with the deck against non-aggro is that it takes so much time to get from playing both Ascencion and Mindcrank to getting the kill. Can it even get a kill before the other guy gets a full turn ? Can you play instants in upkeep/untap before the other guy gets to draw a card ? I'm none too sure. If so, then you can still only fully go-off with 10 mana (Acsencion, Mindcrank, Burn for 2, 2x Instant with proliferate, which are 3 both 3 mana each) and that's a tough position to be in, especially since you can't even mana-ramp because you need mana in the other guys turn too. 

So in practical terms, you need two full untaps, and just hope that duress and inquisition (assuming you trade them in for something, which tbh I think you need to) can keep manaleak/spellpeirce and artifact/enchantment kill at bay.

Whats your best possibly outcome ? 

Hmm...

Turn 1 Duress/Inquisition
Turn 2 Ascencion + burn
Turn 3 Mindcrank + burn
Turn 4 Burn for the last counter and in for the win

Now that doesn't sound too terrible, but even assuming that you have everything in hand when you start, if the other guy has more than 1 counterspell or has any other way to deal with either ascencion or mindcrank, you are up a creek without a paddle.

Tbh, I think the best answer here is to switch the deck into a a full discard deck rather than blue for control/draw, first to protect your combo, and secondly because its just a great form of cheap control. 

There are no less than FIVE 1 mana discard spells in standard with varying degrees of quality, (Duress, Inquisition, Despise, Horryfying Revelation and Mires Toll) and I think running more discard is going to make this deck much more viable, as well as giving you the time to draw into the combo.

In terms of efficiency, any 1 mana spell either directly removes a card from the other guy or needs a counter, and that still drains the hand and stops them using it on your combo. You can add Lilianas Caress for more synergy, but its not needed. 

When I get home I'll see if I can come up with a proper list, but thats definitely the approach I want to go with in this deck.

Edit - If you up the budget a little, I might also be tempted to add Liliana Vess herself, since she's reasonably affordable, gives you a free discard or a demonic tutor, and can be an alternate win condition if you can get any fatty discarded. Also, surgical extraction is a superb answer to lots of problems. Since you are attacking their hand, this really helps you stop them from getting a topdeck answer, either removing removal, counterspells, Jaces or stoneforge mystics to destory the opponents synergy. 

I also might be tempted to work out this into an absolutely EVIL multiplayer deck with dark rituals to give me a turn 1 set-up... With combat/burn on every turn Asencion should fill up nice and fast. And if someone didn't draw 1-mana artifact/enchantment removal then thats game :D
I like...Bloodchief Ascension has always been a favorite of mine and it's good to see it being put to good use again.  I also like the direction this deck has taken.  With that much burn and draw,  versus aggressive creature based decks, you can burn each and everyone of his creatures, draw cards, and delay the game until your combo goes off.  Having the combo in there is cardinal because it supplies your win con after you've spent all of your burn spells killing creatures.  Conversely, versus control you can send all of your burn spells to the face and probably win without the combo.

I wouldn't be too worried about CawBlade and Splinter Twin.  At least not incredibly worried.  Neither of those decks is particularly interactive.  You can probably beat CawBlade if you can land the combo pieces without them being countered and CawBlade is limited in the counters that it runs so a smart player should be able to avoid that.  Batterskull is only a problem if you try to win through burn, the combo produces an arbitrary amount of damage, so lifelink doesn't hurt you if you can combo out.  SplinterTwin is weak to removal, assuming you have a way of taking out Spellskite, and you have several ways maindeck of taking it out (hideous end, manic vandal, two burn spells, kicked burst lightning, etc.).  Additionally, the deck has access to multiple means of disruption in the sideboard, more Duress, Inquisition of Kolizeck (as someone already pointed out), Memoricide, Despise, Surgical Extraction, etc.  I can't remember a time when there was better discard available in standard.

As someone else pointed out, going UB is another route that you could take.  There is a ton of cheap proliferate available in those colors.  You don't actually have to activate the ascension through the traditional method.  I could see a creatureless UB deck with Proliferate/Discard, a little draw, a few counters, a little removal and winning through the combo being a legitimate deck.  Not saying it's something I would prefer to the current build, but the discard/counters would protect the deck's combo well.  It still remains to be seen whether profilerate alone would "get the ascension there" though.    
I was thinking along the lines of Liliana's Specter.  It's a decent beater since the evasion will help it get Bloodchief active quickly, and at the same time, the discard can be relevant once the Ascension is active.
I have a general question for the author and the website editors:

Why are there no printable decklist links for articles like this one? Just about every other MtG site on the web has various ways to print or even download a decklist; Wizards continues to assume that we want to print the whole article, images and all.

Hmm...

Turn 2 Ascencion + burn
Turn 3 Mindcrank + burn

Not sure that works as you still have to get them to discard a card during your end step (as that is when the third counter will go on your Ascension.

How about

Turn 1 Swamp, Bloodchief Ascension,
Turn 2 Mountain Galvanic Blast or Lightning Bolt = 1 counter
Turn 3 Mountain Volt Charge = 3 counters
Turn 4 Mindcrank then Duress/Inquisition.
I was thinking along the lines of Liliana's Specter.  It's a decent beater since the evasion will help it get Bloodchief active quickly, and at the same time, the discard can be relevant once the Ascension is active.

Good idea. I'd probably take this into UB control with fishies like the specter, discard, counters and card draw. Needs another way to activate ascension, though...
Black does get a little bit of direct damage, cards like Sign in Blood and Last Kiss, although it is a touch more expensive, or you can just use evasive creatures to get that 1 point, then proliferate it up to 3.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)

Hmm...

Turn 2 Ascencion + burn
Turn 3 Mindcrank + burn

Not sure that works as you still have to get them to discard a card during your end step (as that is when the third counter will go on your Ascension.

How about

Turn 1 Swamp, Bloodchief Ascension,
Turn 2 Mountain Galvanic Blast or Lightning Bolt = 1 counter
Turn 3 Mountain Volt Charge = 3 counters
Turn 4 Mindcrank then Duress/Inquisition.

A card hitting the graveyard OR burn will start the combo. It may be either. I could replace that last discard with another burn spell and be just fine. There is, in fact, little reason to no run mostly burn in this deck save the need to get the combo secure, and proliferate suggests more of a midrange structure. If you get a Swamp/Fetch for Swamp and an Ascension in your opening hand, you can even drop in Chancellor of the Dross for a free counter on the Ascension.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Not trying to be overly neagtive here but...seriously? You're recommending this mess?

"this deck fares well against creature decks"...that have been relegated to a generous 30% of the metagame by Cawblade.

This isn't a two-card kill combo. This is a five-card kill combo that takes three turns to go off. Anyone with a controlling card in their deck should be able to find an answer in that much time, if they didn't just immediately counter either card. If you want a combo, Exarch-twin just does the job better.

That's without even mentioning that Archive Trap is better than Mindcrank in pretty much every way, since it doesn't need a kickstart like Mindcrank, can be tutored for with trapmaker's snare, is usually free thanks to fetchlands, and can occasionally kill them on it's own (if you run 4x) How often is 26 not enough?
Check out my magic blog: http://magicthemusing.wordpress.com/
KramlmarK, I had a Bloodchief Ascension deck back when Shards of Alara was in standard. I activated it and cast a Mind Funeral that hit for ten cards or so, and... failed to kill my opponent, who had a Behemoth Sledge in play and had been gaining ridiculous amounts of life.

Batterskull is far worse than Behemoth Sledge ever was (considering it can be tutored for and flashed into play with Stoneforge Mystic), and JVL (correctly, IMO) made a point of mentioning it as a card to contend with. I don't think the ability to go infinite can be understated as long as Batterskull is in standard.
I have a general question for the author and the website editors:

Why are there no printable decklist links for articles like this one? Just about every other MtG site on the web has various ways to print or even download a decklist; Wizards continues to assume that we want to print the whole article, images and all.

You can copy and paste the decklist from their deck template. Start from the left of the number of the first card, then click and drag your mouse to the very right of "sideboard cards". Right click on the selected text and click "Copy". Then paste it into Notepad. If you use Word or another program like it, you will have to choose "Paste Special..." then "Unformatted Text". It will be under the "Edit" menu or somewhere on the toolbar near the paste button.

Just a bit of brainstorming with this, as I haven't played this type of deck before.  I see that the combo can be pretty strong, if it goes off without a hitch.  As stated before, any deck with a modicum of control can stop this pretty easily, and game 2 just gets worse, with people siding in cards like nature's claim, into the roil, divine offering, and the odd Revoke Existence.

In fact, this is the exact type of deck I would love to have a transformational sideboard for, or transform into.  The best advantage you have with this is surprise; once that's gone, it looks to be simple burn. Perhaps start off with RDW, or BR Vampires, and side into the combo.

Another idea, is it possible to run this as BRU (Grixis) and run the deciever/splinter twin combo as well?  Or would the two combos clash with each other, and make it too inefficient to be worth it?  Just throwing it out there.

Well.. I was hoping to see a more original deck than Mindcrank. Oh well.
Hopefully we'll see something more interesting with Innistrad 
I was wondering if there might be a place for jinxed idol rather than tunnel ignus in the sideboard. With bloodghast that's 2 damage per your turn, but with the idol, against creature lite decks, that's another 2 damage during their turn also. It also means that if you don't draw into bloodcrank, but you have got your quest active, you either get the two damage from the idol or you get the triggered life point swing from whatever they sacrificed to send the idol back to you.

Also, if you're going to include bloodghast in your decklists, respectively you should rename this feature "Building."
Bloodghast's costs are up and down.  B/R vamps are pretty popular right now and doing well in the current meta - hence the costs are up on the rares in the deck.

An alternative might be: Guul Draz Assassin, Spikeshot Elder, Black Knight, Slavering Nulls...  Not sure on the prices of Elder and Assassin IRL - but with MTG Online, Gull Draz is only $0.75 and Elder is $0.16 (in tickets).  Black Knight can be somewhat effective against caw blade - with the pro white - gets that damage in there.  Nulls also good - two damage and the discard element.  Assassin starts at one, but once leveled, it can swing for 2, kills one toughness, etc.  Can generally be a flexible card.

Ghast is good in that it keeps coming back.  It's bad because it can't block - something that can be crucial for a combo deck to protect itself for a few turns.  Yesterday, I had an opponent go memnite, memnite, ornithopter, mountain, kudotha rebirth = 3 1/1 goblin tokens.  By turn 3 he was swinging with battlecry.  True - that was an extreme start - but the fast artifact decks also win by turn 4.

Other variations - I've tried bloodchief with pyromancer's ascension.  Meh.  It was before Mindcrank came out - but it never really got the counters it needed to go off.  It looked great on paper...

I've also tried a vampire trap deck.  It ran gatekeeper, bloodghast, duals - so it was not budget.  I ran Vess for tutor, a few trap snares to search - and then archive trap + haunting echoes.  I'd rarely combo.  Even with 20 or 24 vampires, it just did not seem to hang well with decks in the tourney practice room.  But vamps might work with asscension... ... ... or it just might be a weaker version of vampires, which is already a pretty good deck on it's own.

If somebody has ideas - go ahead and post decklists, even if they are not tested... would like to see what you might be brewing...

I was wondering if there might be a place for jinxed idol rather than tunnel ignus in the sideboard. With bloodghast that's 2 damage per your turn, but with the idol, against creature lite decks, that's another 2 damage during their turn also. It also means that if you don't draw into bloodcrank, but you have got your quest active, you either get the two damage from the idol or you get the triggered life point swing from whatever they sacrificed to send the idol back to you. Also, if you're going to include bloodghast in your decklists, respectively you should rename this feature "Building."

"How to Make a Deck."
I was trying to build a mono-black version of this deck. Unfortunately, it still runs slower than any varient. I do think a good combo for this deck is Sleeper Agent and Wall of Souls. The Sleeper Agent will hit your opponent for 2 every turn, easily giving Bloodchief Ascension its three counters. The Wall of Souls gives both protection from the Sleeper Agent as well as discouraging attacks.

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred: Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature. Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself? Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill. Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it. Him: You can't do that. Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Just a bit of brainstorming with this, as I haven't played this type of deck before.  I see that the combo can be pretty strong, if it goes off without a hitch.  As stated before, any deck with a modicum of control can stop this pretty easily, and game 2 just gets worse, with people siding in cards like nature's claim, into the roil, divine offering, and the odd Revoke Existence.

In fact, this is the exact type of deck I would love to have a transformational sideboard for, or transform into.  The best advantage you have with this is surprise; once that's gone, it looks to be simple burn. Perhaps start off with RDW, or BR Vampires, and side into the combo.

Another idea, is it possible to run this as BRU (Grixis) and run the deciever/splinter twin combo as well?  Or would the two combos clash with each other, and make it too inefficient to be worth it?  Just throwing it out there.

I agree about running a standard aggro/burn type deck that you can sideboard the combo into. Vampires is best, but obviously most expencive *sigh* but even last weeks suicide phyraxians would work ok. You look at how the first game plays out, and if it stalls in the mid-game, you side in the combo to give you mid-late kill potential. 

Even if you loose the second game, all is not lost, you just go back to the original list. Chances are the other guy sides in atifact/enchantment kill instead of something that will actually fight your creatures, and then you get an easy third game because he has to hold something to go after the combo which you are no longer playing. 

Sounds like a good approach to me.

One combo deck transforming into another combo deck?  I like it.

One combo deck transforming into another combo deck?  I like it.

I actually thought something similar. I combined the two combos featured this week. Both were , and seemed to mesh well. I think the Deciever/Spinter twin combo is mutually exclusive, as they don't support each other.
I've seen a pretty cool version of this deck with a really great sideboard. The deck sides in kalastria highborn, pulse trackers and viscera seer, effectively turning it into BR vamps. Also, the deck could use blackcleave cliffs since these don't really break the bank.