Can anyone suggest a resource to help me role play a cavalier?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am looking for a resource to help me role play a cavalier as I have no idea. I tried to search here, but the search function is pretty limited. Thank you.
I am looking for a resource to help me role play a cavalier as I have no idea. I tried to search here, but the search function is pretty limited. Thank you.

Reed the Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. Paks is a near perfect example of a Cavalier. She is only loosely affiliated with a Church, her ideals and personal convictions being more important than dogma. She is also a great example of a good, principled character who does not fall into the "Lawful Stupid" trap that has plagued Paladins and their ilk since day one.

I would also recommend the Elenium and Tamuli trilogies by David and Leigh Eddings. The main characters are Church Knights of different orders coming together to combat a threat to their Church and the peace of the realm. Only one of them is your stereotypical Paladin, while the other are quite a bit more "pragmatic."

Edit: These are also just good books, beyond showing ways in which a Paladin or Cavalier might be characterized. I would recommend them even if you weren't looking for inspiration. ;)
Never heard of it; thank you very much for taking the time to suggest it. I have to admit, however, that I am strangely drawn to Lawful Stupid.
I'll second the Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion and also put up for consideration Oath of Fealty by the same author.  Paks is more of a background character in Fealty--and it also has some more insight into the royalty of two neighboring realms...in case you want a more secular cavalier in service to a king or noble.

In terms of role playing in general, you could go for "haughty".  Imagine a guy in a BMW who gets all bent out of shape because traffic didn't part like the Red Sea when he approached.  Now substitute horses for cars and you get the idea. 

Classes don't come with affixed personalities.  There's no right (or wrong) way to play a cavalier, or any class.  He could be haughty or humble.  He could be serious and taciturn or quick with a joke and a laugh, trusting or suspicious ... it just depends on his background, how the events of his life have influenced him, and how you want to RP him.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
For the classic Cavelier/Chevalier the Knights of Solamnia from Dragonlance could be a valuable inspiration.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
Don Quixote.
please please please! if you are to play a cavalier, read the belgariad series by David and Leigh Eddings. Mandorallen is the best knight/cavalier style character i have ever had the pleasure to read of. Perfect example of character, and an excellent series to boot!
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
If you're pressed for time, though, you can read The Belgariad, the Elenium or the Tamuli.  Honestly, it's the same story every time.
"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
If you're pressed for time, though, you can read The Belgariad, the Elenium or the Tamuli.  Honestly, it's the same story every time.

If you only read one, read the Elenium. Especially if you're reading it for Cavalier/Paladin/Knight inspiration. The Tamuli is the same cast, and it's cool, but it's much more high fantasy, and much more similar to the Belgariad. For that story, read the Belgariad. It's better.

But the Elenium is probably his best work.

Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome