Urabrask W.I.P. Lineart

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

Here is my long procrastinated beginning of Urabrask. I started this a couple of hours ago (with tons of distractions in between). I've been so busy lately but I really wanted to get started on this guy. ahah I'm happy with it so far, even if its pretty bare right now.
ug. lemme post a closer version of it. ahah

Looks nice so far!, the only criticism would be the pose, it looks rather simian whereas Urabrask is a predator (or simply an alien), which means you should go for a "I'm gonna get you" kind of pose. The real card shows this well.

It's mostly the hanging arms though. Maybe it would work better if he was crouching and his hands were grasping the ground for balance... if you understand what I'm trying to convey :P

Looks nice so far!, the only criticism would be the pose, it looks rather simian whereas Urabrask is a predator (or simply an alien), which means you should go for a "I'm gonna get you" kind of pose. The real card shows this well.

It's mostly the hanging arms though. Maybe it would work better if he was crouching and his hands were grasping the ground for balance... if you understand what I'm trying to convey :P

Yeah. I was trying out "I'mma getchu poses" but it looked so much like the cards pose and I didn't want that. I might spread the arms in like a flex type of pose. Like in a mid-roar/intimidation pose. 
I can see where you are coming from though 
It might be interesting to try an alternate piece that shows his more brooding, conflicted character... Part of the real drive behind Urabrask is the divide between the Phyrexian call to process and compleat everything, and the Red call to have compassion for others.

Otherwise, I'm excited to see the final of this version
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
It might be interesting to try an alternate piece that shows his more brooding, conflicted character... Part of the real drive behind Urabrask is the divide between the Phyrexian call to process and compleat everything, and the Red call to have compassion for others.

Otherwise, I'm excited to see the final of this version

Mmmm that would be interesting. 

This will probably just be a piece that just helps me figure out how I want his body to look. Its hard to find art that shows a good bit of his body. ahaha 
This is pretty sick, kiweet!
I have died and crowned myself Yep... Nyan cat powers, ACTIVATE!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4
Show
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

YOU ARE THE "UNBALANCED''
Take Personality Test today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
The world perceives you as off your rocker, but that isn't true. You just make mental connections to things and don't entirely explain your thinking. So if you suddenly bring up birdhouses in geometry, you'll probably get some strange looks. You are rather impulsive but generally a good person.
Quotes
Show
93712208 wrote:
@7_ate_9 what decks were they playing? We're you playing multi-player, or what exactly? P.S. I hope you actually didn't... you know... do that with him and his friends. They're magic cards man, who knows what diseases they carry. You don't want to catch that stuff...
Within the Lightning's Blink_I will Cry for Vengeance.
This is pretty sick, kiweet!

thanks!
I LOVE your style, but I do agree the pose could be improved. If you don't mind, I'd like to throw one idea as you:

So what if Urabrask had his back to you, at a 45 degree angle, but he was turning his neck so that he was still making eye contact with the viewer. This would sort of highlight the conflicted duty/vs. compassion dynamic. He could even be hunching somewhat, considering he still appears to me as somewhat bestial, however thoughtful. His hands would be off from his sides, somewhere in front of his abdomen, and his fingers curled as if he was grasping an invisible bowling ball. From inside of his hands, then, could be a fiery forge of sorts (considering he is running the forges). This could also supply some interesting lighting with the upwards glow on the face (Think scary stories with the flashlight as a kid). If I wasn't at my Dad's, I'd grab my tablet right now and draw up some sketches to show you what I was thinking. For now, though, I really appreciate your work!
I LOVE your style, but I do agree the pose could be improved. If you don't mind, I'd like to throw one idea as you:

So what if Urabrask had his back to you, at a 45 degree angle, but he was turning his neck so that he was still making eye contact with the viewer. This would sort of highlight the conflicted duty/vs. compassion dynamic. He could even be hunching somewhat, considering he still appears to me as somewhat bestial, however thoughtful. His hands would be off from his sides, somewhere in front of his abdomen, and his fingers curled as if he was grasping an invisible bowling ball. From inside of his hands, then, could be a fiery forge of sorts (considering he is running the forges). This could also supply some interesting lighting with the upwards glow on the face (Think scary stories with the flashlight as a kid). If I wasn't at my Dad's, I'd grab my tablet right now and draw up some sketches to show you what I was thinking. For now, though, I really appreciate your work!

Dude, I think I might sketch some of those out. Thats a very interesting idea!
Sign In to post comments