6/14/2011 Wizards Asks

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Wizards Asks, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Um...  the one with Sol Ring in it.
Angels, Demons and Dragons .... methinks Heavenly Inferno.
I'll probably pick up counterpunch and Mirror Mastery...
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Well, I have for many years had a blue/red/green Elemental tribal deck (Not many good black/white elementals). I recently modified it into an EDH deck (I was only really running one of anything anyway), but I lamented the lack of a RUG general that did much of anything that would help. A friend lent me a Horde of Notions just so I could run my colours. I have a few Vivids and a Rupture Spire in the deck, but the poor Horde seldom left the Command Zone.

Then I saw Animar.

I could not possibly have hoped for a better fit for my Elemental deck. But, thing is, I really want to build a Ghave deck now too, as well as a Mimeoplasm deck, etc. The new generals really fire my deckbuilding instincts. So I will probably wind up buying Counterpunch and maybe Devour for Power as well (checked the decklist; much of what is in Mirror Mastery I already have in the Elemental deck, so I may actually JUST get those two).

I have had my deepest Magical wish fulfilled, but what makes it better is that someone, somewhere has found the equally fitting general for his WBG Saproling deck, as has the BUG graveyard player. It is great to see Wizards playing to such a small audience. I know this kind of thing can't happen all the time, but damn, am I grateful it happened this time.

Tl, dr: Imma buy Animar.

And the Counterpunch deck, maybe the DfP one too.

I'm an Azorius/Izzet fan so definately Political Puppets. I'm in love with Nin, the Pain Artist.
The Orhov side of me really likes the Heavenly Inferno. Bassandra is like a Boros Teferi.
I normally don't like blue that much. I've always liked green and red. But when I saw Animar, I had my heart set. I fell out of my seat when I saw Riku. And now, I'm gonna have funn with this deck! 
1) Heavenly Inferno
2) Mirror Mastery
3) Political Puppets
4) Devour for Power
5) Counterpunch

With 5 being ''I like it =)'', 3; ''Great! =D'' and 1; ''AWESOME!!! =O''

I like all of them. I'm getting Inferno and Mirror, and later maybe Puppets. I might even consider Devour for Power, but probably not. I'm not getting Counterpunch, although I definitely want to see it in action.
Once they were announced I pre-orded all 5 once at my local shop. Once all the cards and decklists were spoiled I ordered 3 more Heavenly Inferno for myself because I want to build a 60 card deck with Kaalia of the Vast and Tariel, Reckoner of Souls. So Heavenly Inferno all the way for me.
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
Easy choice.
Of course, Heavenly Inferno.
"Devour for Power" is my choice.  I thought that "Counterpunch" would have a lot of graveyard shenanigans but they all ended up in "Devour for Power".
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
The little Timmy in me is getting the Heavenly Inferno ... you know, for the lulz.
The competitive Spike in me will get The Mimeoplasm ... you know, for the lulz (and power cards).
The gamer in me will get the Red-White-Blue deck ... you know, for the lulz (and hijinks).

The financial guy in me says STOP SPENDING MONEY!  But, I'll probably end up with all 5 eventually.
I was hoping Inferno wouldn't be so popular, but there's no way you can keep me from such a pick. Almost every card is just cool (even cooler at times than Kaalia of the Vast), even just the Guildmages or removal, and that's going to keep me coming back to it for a long time to come.
Good to see that there is no one deck that everyone wants above all others. That said, it seems to me like while Tariel/Kaalia's deck has by far the best cards; lots of staples, board sweepers, tutoring, big effects, Animar seems to be by far the best general; lowest possible cost yet grows huge, protection. None of the others can defend theirselves well. Ghave can explode into a few consolation-prize tokens when killed, but that's really it.
I dont want to be part of the fan kids going for Heavenly Inferno but it is a good deck with really big cards. Counter punch to me is the second best with Mirror Mastery close behind. Its just none of the other decks can compare to Heavenly Inferno. I'm definatly hoping the stores have enough stock for me hah 
Its just none of the other decks can compare to Heavenly Inferno. I'm definatly hoping the stores have enough stock for me hah 

I have the same opinion and I am glad I already e-mailed my local store to reserve my extra's of Heavenly Inferno. I am a long time customer so they were happy to reserve them for me.
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
Somehow Heavenly Inferno is my favourite even though green and blue are my favourite colours normally. Not sure how that works. Counterpunch comes after that, since I love token decks. Riku is my favourite of the commanders, but the deck overall doesn't really appeal to me that much.

Jeez, seeing how popular Heavenly Inferno is I'm worried I won't be able to pick it up...
blah blah metal lyrics
I'm in love with Heavenly Inferno, too.... but I'm afraid it won't play well ... or at least Kaalia won't play well in group games.  Since you end up focusing your attack on one person, you should probably expect some retaliation.  And typically you aren't just swinging in with an Ophidan "just to draw a card"; you are going to be swining and most likely connecting with some big things. 

The good news?  You get to leave all your mana open to play protective spells.
The bad news?  The black/red side of Kaalia could give a dam about protective and just wants to kill you.