Stop paying out m11 for constructed already!!!

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
It is barely worth 2 tickets!

I have quit playing classic 2mans because if this.

Note that i suggest that you payout pack "a" since drafts now payout aabbbbccccc so there is a shortage of a so it will be most desired.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Dissatisfaction with prize payouts will always occur with the current MTGO management.  I've given up trying to influence what they do.
Agree, you don't have to monitor the secondary market to decide on pack payouts (which would be against your principles and would lead to hoarding and manipulation), but use some common sense and give us something that will draw us into the queues.  We've spelled it out for you many times on the boards.  
We want more of the first pack of a block to complete our draft sets.  Also coordinating classic pack payouts with the nixtix queues is awesome.  We're smart, we can handle prizes changing every month or so.
The best solution to all of this is to let us pick the packs we win.  That way we regulate the secondary market all by ourselves, just the way you like it.     
I agree fully. I haven't played any Momir or Pauper for the last couple of weeks (my main formats), after winning a daily only to find I'm struggling to get rid of the packs at more than 2 tix (to get more tournament entry fees).

Also playing 2 mans is just worse than playing in the Tournament Practice room, even with a 100% win rate!

Oh well, guess it will be like this for the next few months, until M12 comes out!
No, it doesn't have to be like this.  That's what we're saying.  They could pay attention to these things and change the prizes on Wednesday during down time.  Boom.  Done.  Fixed.
I agree it doesn't have to be like this. And they *could* take some action (and how I wish they would!!).

But my "guess" is it will be like this for the next few month! :-S

Still, here's hoping the optimists win. :-)
I gave the issue to Whiffy Penguin to discuss during the Community Cup... He will be our champion!!!

Seriously though, I want to give wotc by money on 2man queues when I hce less than 3 hours to spare for a draft... But I don't because of EV. I just play in the TP room instead giving wotc 0 tix.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Here's the problem: WotC does not and will not make decisions based on the secondary market. They need to have a coherent policy for what boosters are given as prizes that will work throughout the entire annual set cycle, not just the month before the Core set switch. So, if you want a change, it can't be just because M11 boosters are worth so little right now. You need a straightforward policy that does not directly consider secondary market value and will work throughout the year AND in conjunction with the policy for other formats. Remember, it won't be such a big deal when M12 is released and these queues are suddenly paying out the hot set.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Agree with you Bubba about the kind of policy they need.

But from my point of view their current policy does not work throughout the year, if it means it is not worth joining a 2-Man classic, Pauper or Momir for about 2 months of the year (not sure exactly when the prices dropped off).
Here's the problem: WotC does not and will not make decisions based on the secondary market. They need to have a coherent policy for what boosters are given as prizes that will work throughout the entire annual set cycle, not just the month before the Core set switch. So, if you want a change, it can't be just because M11 boosters are worth so little right now. You need a straightforward policy that does not directly consider secondary market value and will work throughout the year AND in conjunction with the policy for other formats. Remember, it won't be such a big deal when M12 is released and these queues are suddenly paying out the hot set.

Amazingly enough other than Classic set Releases the timing of rotation of sets is extremely predictable... It would be amazingly simple to have a policy that does not payout a set that is going to leave standard in  less than say 6 months. As far as I am concerned Core sets should only ever be the payout for the first 3 months after that set is released. The set used for Classic/Pauper etc does NOT have to be core set 12 months of the year. They can (and probably should) change it up a bit. The entire point of their policy should be to encourage participation. When they make comments like "we changed the payout a few months ago... now you want us to change it again?" it just makes them look daft.

Amazingly enough other than Classic set Releases the timing of rotation of sets is extremely predictable... It would be amazingly simple to have a policy that does not payout a set that is going to leave standard in  less than say 6 months. As far as I am concerned Core sets should only ever be the payout for the first 3 months after that set is released. The set used for Classic/Pauper etc does NOT have to be core set 12 months of the year. They can (and probably should) change it up a bit. The entire point of their policy should be to encourage participation. When they make comments like "we changed the payout a few months ago... now you want us to change it again?" it just makes them look daft.

Then propose a policy that will work throughout the year, rather than just bleating "the EV is too low". Starting the conversation from the EV position is a non-starter as far as WotC is concerned, even if there are more valid concerns buried in there. But, if you engage them on their terms with their restrictions in mind, you may gain some traction.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

Then propose a policy that will work throughout the year, rather than just bleating "the EV is too low". Starting the conversation from the EV position is a non-starter as far as WotC is concerned, even if there are more valid concerns buried in there. But, if you engage them on their terms with their restrictions in mind, you may gain some traction.

Well I would need to know precisely what their restriction truly is to work around it.... but here is a start...

Standard/Pauper - payout of newest standard legal set release for the entire month following its release. After that payout of whatever pack is being shorted in the newest set's draft payout.

Block   - Payout that block's latest set for one month then shorted pack in that block's draft payout.

Modern/extended - payout oldest block's shorted set. (right now either Worldwake or ROE)

Classic/Legacy/100cs - Payout most recently released Classic Set 1 month after release, then the shorted pack

seems to work easy enough and not change year round

Solution: All queues pay out any currently-in-the-store pack of your choice for all prizes.

It's simple, it's what the players want, and it means that queue times will be based on desire to play the format, not on the value of the prizes.

I don't usually involve myself in payout discussions because I think this answer is absolutely the best, and that all other solutions are overly complex without nearly as good results.  However, I also understand that this solution may not be possible to implement in v3, or if it is it would at least require some big work.  For that reason, I accept that things aren't so great right now but hope that in the future they'll do it this way and make everyone happy.
I think it is more of a question of demand than the secondary market bubba. Or at least it should be from WotC's standpoint.
Another thought I had that may help in the short term... I assume with the current entry system, when M12 releases, they would be able to have draft entry that takes in 3 M11 boosters, and pays out M12.

I don't know if they are planning to do this, but if they are, announcing an intention now might help with stabalising M11 prices to the extent that these queues are worth playing.
Responses in the past to requests for changes in payouts have been (paraphrasing)

"We change payouts sometimes." (without really going into detail as to why, implying they don't have to and don't want to)

"The people who talk about this on messages boards are just a subset ..."

So I don't know why people expect results based on message boards requests.
@Ith: Your solution is probably the best one, but it might be difficult to implement right now (because we'd need an interface to select the desired booster). I would be pretty happy if they would implement this in v4. 

I'm turning a bit on this issue, Bubba.  Yes, complaing about EV is one thing (I'll play this event OVER this event because the EV is better).  It's a poor argument to make, because a pack is a pack is a pack to Wizards.

But if stop to consider pack price and EV not at a function for comparisson, but as an expression of the desire to actually win the prize being offered, it's a very relevant conversation.

Imagine, if you will, there was a contest for a bright shiney new red bike.  Bikes are great, right? And you have nothing better to do - it's not like there is a similar contest going on that day.  So why aren't you bothering to participate?   The answer is obvious... You already HAVE a shiney new red bike.

Forget about now being able to come away on top (in actuality, if you 3-1 a DE and get 6 m11 packs you are still doubling your value). The argument here is beyond EV, except in so much as it's an expression of the fact that NOBODY WANTS TO WIN YOUR PRIZES ANYMORE, WOTC!

It's the same reason you don't see a lot of contests anymore for Microwave Ovens or Vacuums.   Everyone already has those things, and no one wants them any more - not for the hassle of selling them off for whatever they are worth later on.

In that regard, this is WoTCs problem to fix.   Lots of suggestions, implementable or not (like the omnipack) have been made.  I know Calavera is complaining b/c the classic queues aren't firing due to this, and that issue seems small since that's a smaller portion of the playerbase, but it's none-the-less a valid complaint.  For a format like classic (or Singleton or the others) it's difficult to simply wait until the next core set hops along, because the format's playerbase is so thin that 2 months of posssibly not firing a queue is a serious detriment to the format.   Hence the impatience on the classic communities part to remedy the situation.

Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)

I should be of their concern, because people stop playing for this very reason.  A company sells stuff.  If customers don't want to buy that stuff, it is always their concern, no matter what reason the customer gives. 
I should be of their concern, because people stop playing for this very reason.  A company sells stuff.  If customers don't want to buy that stuff, it is always their concern, no matter what reason the customer gives.

I agree that the prizes suck. However, have these people stopped playing completely, or have they switched to playing something else? If its the later case, then it doesn't effect Wizards' bottom line (other than secondary effects related to less happy customers). For a "protest" to be really effective, they can't switch to another event type.

All I do is draft. I'll draft Classic sets and triple new sets (during release weeks). I'm not spending money if neither of these events are happening. So, for me, if Wizards isn't providing me with an event that I want to participate in, I'm not spending money. Still not sure what I'll do when Classic set drafts become few and far between.

Pcjr.. If I have less than 3 hours to play I would go sit in the classic 2-man queue but I don't because I don't want m11 packs. Instead I either watch tv or play in the tourney practice room for free. Wizos loses out either way. And my patience in waiting for vintage suffers.
I agree they should stop doing this.
M11 has actually been on the rise over the last week.  Last Friday it bottomed out at buying for 2.06 but has been going up all week and one bot is now buying for 2.67.  Still not a great price, but better then when this thread was started.

Only explanation I have is people have more disposable tix now that release events are over and the fact that the Titans have been confirmed to be reprinted so the chase cards are gaining in value.

I have no sympathy for pauper/momir people complaining about having the worst paypout beacause when M12 comes out you will have one of the best.  You take the good, you take the bad... as the song goes.
M11 has actually been on the rise over the last week.  Last Friday it bottomed out at buying for 2.06 but has been going up all week and one bot is now buying for 2.67.  Still not a great price, but better then when this thread was started.

Only explanation I have is people have more disposable tix now that release events are over and the fact that the Titans have been confirmed to be reprinted so the chase cards are gaining in value.

I have no sympathy for pauper/momir people complaining about having the worst paypout beacause when M12 comes out you will have one of the best.  You take the good, you take the bad... as the song goes.

I would be happy with average year round.  Atm I pretty much am stuck playing just block due to prizes/std format health, and it gets old.  Having momir and pauper events to play on the side is much more fun and without them magic gets boring much faster.

I am not happy with the current policy. At the community cup they said something along the lines of "we tried rotating the pack prizes and it didn't work"
I think that they need to try it again and just do it better.
They should always offer a prize that people actually want and it does not take a brain surgeon to figure out that almost no kne wants m11 right now. What deman there is is probably just from people who want to draft for 8-9 tix.
Why can't you simply choose your prize pack from a menu of all available packs at the price, like going to the store with pack credit? Seriously, its not like WoTC has a warehouse full of cases of a particular release, its all VIRTUAL after all. Then noone would be complaining about anything.
Why can't you simply choose your prize pack from a menu of all available packs at the price, like going to the store with pack credit? Seriously, its not like WoTC has a warehouse full of cases of a particular release, its all VIRTUAL after all. Then noone would be complaining about anything.

I agree.  In the twitter answers recently given, they said something along the lines of "we don't think this would work as well as some people believe it would".  I'd really like to know more about their thought process.  If there truly is some flaw with the idea that I'm not seeing, I wish they'd let us in on it so that we could redirect our efforts to coming up with a better solution.
...its all VIRTUAL after all. ...

Yes. And paper cards are only cardboard and ink. Money is only paper and ink. They could always print more of those, as well. 

Why do people not comprehend that there is more to a digital object than simply copying bits? These aren't image files. Your bank account is a digital object, too. 

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

...its all VIRTUAL after all. ...

Yes. And paper cards are only cardboard and ink. Money is only paper and ink. They could always print more of those, as well. 

Why do people not comprehend that there is more to a digital object than simply copying bits? These aren't image files. Your bank account is a digital object, too. 

Lol, did you actually think about what you just typed or did you just try to say something that sounded good?  Be realistic here.
because of redemption the boosters wotc creates online are not free of cost for them, so while they could hand out more of them it is not economically wise to do so.
proud member of the 2011 community team
because of redemption the boosters wotc creates online are not free of cost for them, so while they could hand out more of them it is not economically wise to do so.

This is a good point, but I don't think enough sets are redeemed that it makes a difference.  Wotc recently boosted prizes for gold ques by simply giving out more packs(same entry fee, extra pack).  They could do a similar approach to pauper/momir dailies by handing out a couple more m11 packs.
This is a good point, but I don't think enough sets are redeemed that it makes a difference.  Wotc recently boosted prizes for gold ques by simply giving out more packs(same entry fee, extra pack).  They could do a similar approach to pauper/momir dailies by handing out a couple more m11 packs.

Except that WotC would never do that based on the secondary market value of the boosters. To WotC, all boosters are worth the same.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

This wouldnt fix the problem. This is simple inflation(what you suggest ie increasing supply, yet not increasing demand somehow). It is unlikely to solve the problem very well.

Also, there are a LOT more sets redeemed weekly than people realize, fortunatly printing mtg cards is relatively cheap.
Owner of TheCardNexus chain on mtgo.
"If digital objects are worthless, give me all your cards".

This wouldnt fix the problem. This is simple inflation(what you suggest ie increasing supply, yet not increasing demand somehow). It is unlikely to solve the problem very well.

Also, there are a LOT more sets redeemed weekly than people realize, fortunatly printing mtg cards is relatively cheap.

In retrospect, what I said does sound dumb, but I think adding a few packs specifically to pauper and momir dailies(temporarily) would be way too small to make a difference in the supply.  Say 4-0 got 13 packs and 3-1 got 8.  Obviously the worst case scenario is it balances until the prizes are then worth the same as the old prizes, but with no change in 2 mans this seems unlikely to happen.  I could be wrong, personally I don't think handing out more packs is even a good solution, I'd rather they just do some other sort of prize payout like credits in the store or different packs or w/e, I'll take whatever wotc gives me.  I just want to be able to play the formats, and right now the ev is too low to make it worthwhile.

Except that WotC would never do that based on the secondary market value of the boosters. To WotC, all boosters are worth the same.

The problem is you're over simplifying it.  Wotc cares about one thing: money.  If the secondary market is changing their bottom line, they have to care about it.  If the secondary market prices of packs are making their tournaments not fire, they might change it.  Anything that effects wotc's profits is something that would be worth looking into for them.  I'm a customer, and I don't like the way things are right now so I'm going to complain.  Now it's on wotc to decide if they care about that or not.  It's not my job (or yours) to defend wotc and explain why something is bad for them, it's THEIR job.  If they're fine with people complaining about pack prizes and temporarily not playing some of their constructed formats, then obviously they can do whatever they want.  If they feel like unhappy customers are bad for their profits they will probably do something though.
To WotC, all boosters are worth the same.

that can't be true
redeemable sets cost them redemption, non redeemable sets just cost them some small serverspace.

they treat the boosters as if they had the same cost, that is true.
proud member of the 2011 community team
Where is the problem. When total cyber production hits the max allowed under expected redemption, then the packs for THAT set are "out of stock" and not in the options list. Meantime, all the other packs for all the other available sets are still in the selection menu for us to choose as we like. Again, end of complaints, maximum flexibility achieved. I don't see the problem other than it requires more "work" for WoTC to implement other than doing nothing.
So, erm.. looks like M11 boosters have a decent price again. Last I saw they were selling for 3.66tx. 
For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!
So, erm.. looks like M11 boosters have a decent price again. Last I saw they were selling for 3.66tx. 

More like selling for 3, anyone paying 3.66 is getting ripped off.
This is actually the PERFECT solution for insane prices as well as complaints of a lack of choice. Since the issue is redeemability, most sets are no longer redeemable, so printing "infinite" packs is irrelevent to that issue. So by having ME1-4, Tempest, Apocalypse, etc packs available as prize choice for all events, the issues of insane prices for FoW, Manadrain, LED, wasteland, ec, etc would all evaporate overnight. The free market would choose packs that would self-regulate all prices in the secondary market, WoTC gets their money and the secondary market gets some much needed rationalization.

Come on Worth, think about this seriously, a solution for the major complaints from your customers is at hand.