Making Gold coin Props

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey guys, I'm starting a game here in the next week or so, but am having a tiny bit of problems with some of my props... Mostly my gold coins.  I first tried using Loonies (Canadian Currency) because of the bronze coating, but I have yet to make them shiny enough.  I was wondering if others have tried / Succeeded in making gold coins.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Do they sell chocolate coins wrapped in gold in your area? Or would that be too rust-monster for you?

As a Canadian, I have seen some very shiny loonies, but they're usually new ones. Maybe go to a Canadian bank and ask for a roll of Loonies?  

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

hmm, yea the chocolate gold coins were another thought, but I was really looking for the metal variety.  Yea I might be able to find some in the banks and or post office (If they have coin sets or individuals)

Thanks a bunch

I bought a bunch of washers at the hardware store for my game, didn't paint them or anything though. Granted it's not a very good trade off money wise, Usually just using pennies and nickels (or the equivilant) has a better ratio of anything you could buy.

That’s true, buying things like washers had crossed my mind as well but ultimately did not pan out for me.  Change (Pennies, Nickels, Dimes, etc...)  is always a good choice, I was just trying to get the 'feel' for real gold. 

Thanks for the Input

Just take the loonies and spray them with gloss sealer...
If you really want to go all out, get some gold paint at the local hobby or craft shop, paint them, and then spray them with gloss sealer.

(There's a very slight chance they might not work in a candy or soda machine anymore, but if you're using them for gold coins you're probably not going to be spending them anyway.)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

ooh thats a good idea too   Thanks for the help Smile
If you're willing to spend a bit of money: http://www.campaigncoins.com/

Am I the only one who read the gnome racial trait as, "Speak with Small Breasts,"?

I've used the gold chocolate coins before.  Of course I was a complete dick about it and subtracted gold from the players for every coin they ate during game lol. 
yea I guess I didn't check online stores :P  Looks like they have a decent selection too :D  I thought about doing that too if I ever did use chocolate coins! :P
yea I guess I didn't check online stores :P  Looks like they have a decent selection too :D  I thought about doing that too if I ever did use chocolate coins! :P

Just for the record, the coins you get (from Campaign Coins) are a lot smaller than you may think but at the same time, they're very, very, very cool. The price is arguably not worth it for how little use you'll get out of them and by no means do I mean to paint them as a rip-off as the cost of production is very high, but then again, this isn't something you buy expecting to get a lot of use out of; you buy them 'cause they're just so damned awesome

Am I the only one who read the gnome racial trait as, "Speak with Small Breasts,"?

You could check at a big bank and see if they can get you some Euro coins.  Many of them are gold colored.

Just for the record, the coins you get (from Campaign Coins) are a lot smaller than you may think but at the same time, they're very, very, very cool. The price is arguably not worth it for how little use you'll get out of them and by no means do I mean to paint them as a rip-off as the cost of production is very high, but then again, this isn't something you buy expecting to get a lot of use out of; you buy them 'cause they're just so damned awesome

Heh yea, the same reason I bought my actual size 'authentic' dragon balls :D  ahh disposable income :P
You could check at a big bank and see if they can get you some Euro coins.  Many of them are gold colored.

I checked at the bank yesterday and they said "We Don't offer change" only bills apparently.  If I want to get some coins, I would have to check out a currancey converter.  lol :P  but yea coins from around the world are neat   Still have some from my last Japan trip.
New Zealand and Australian dollars and British Pounds are all gold coloured and of a decent size.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
New Zealand and Australian dollars and British Pounds are all gold coloured and of a decent size.

Yea they look sweet :D  It's cool because I never really thought about how different money would look until I left North America for the first time.

Thank you everyone for your help
I realize this is an ancient post but seeing as I haven't been able to find anything good on the topic via google
so I figure I'd share my idea. Let me first say that I've been looking for something to use as currency props for
my game for a long time now but as I wanted to avoid using plastic coins that feels all wrong I had great troubles
finding an affordable solution untill this totally obvious notion hit me.. 

I'm a plumber by profession so I had to slap myself for not realizing how coin-like this tool is immediatly and I use
these every single day while working. I don't have a good translation for the object "Mutter Skive" (I think it's a 
"Rivnut Puller"), but I'll provide a picture to show what I'm talking about. This item is cheap and every hardware
store has zillions of these in their shelves. 

I bought thousands of these in four different sizes and appropriate metallic sprays to match copper, silver, gold and platina.
For the platina coins I picked a square one to have them stand out as platina is really rare in my games.
My DM treasure chest now holds thousands of coins spraypainted the appropriate colors and it looks great and realistic.
The faces of my players when I first introduced them were priceless.

"As you rumnage through the corpses belongings
you reach into the bag and pull out this;"
(Reaches under table and slaps a pouch of coins
onto the table)
The players loved dividing the loot this way, and it's
now alot of fun haggling for prices with actual coins.            

The item I'm talking about
You can get these in lots of different dimensions. It's important to note that this
is just a pic I quickly found on the net and you can get these with much smaller
center holes so as to be a much better representation of a traditional coin.