Genasi Redux (PEACH) (Yes, I remade them, and yes, they're totally different)

60 posts / 0 new
Last post
At the risk of my sanity, this was cross-posted from the Races Forum.

GENASI

What's this?
(( All images were found via Google image search. You can click on all of them to get linked to their sources. ))

The Genasi race has always been a paradox to me. On one hand, it does something spectacular that I wish more races would do, and that is that gives players options, specifically racial feature and racial power options. When you play a Genasi character and tell the other players your character's race, they want to know more details about what sort of member of your race you are because your race alone simply isn't enough information.

However, on the other hand, the racial feature options available to the Genasi race are some of the most boring, drab, and uninspiring in the entire game. Yes, some of the energy resistances offered aren't offered anywhere else, but the mechanic itself is about as unique as the defense bonuses that otherwise plague the race, and I do mean plague.

Not being one to settle for less than perfection, especially not from a race that by all counts deserves to be so much more amazing and unique, I've decided to put some of my boredom to use this summer and reimagine the Genasi race, at least on a mechanical level. I hope that you enjoy this attempt at recreating the Genasi race, and I look forward to questions, comments, concerns, criticisms, and of course, praise. (Yes, that last one was a joke. I promise that I'm not really that arrogant.)

Oh, and the Air-Soul Genasi can fly!*
*sort of...

RACIAL TRAITS

Average Height: 5'7" - 6'2"
Average Weight: 130 lb. - 225 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Charisma and either +2 Constitution or +2 Dexterity
Size: Medium
Vision: Normal

Languages: Common, Primordial
Skill Bonus: +2 Nature
Elemental Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Elemental Chaos, so you are considered an elemental creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
Elemental Manifestation: Choose one elemental manifestation: Earth-Soul, Fire-Soul, Air-Soul, or Water-Soul. Each manifestation offers particular benefits and provides an associated power.

Just the basics...
The first thing that you'll notice is that I've redone the race's ability score bonuses. Yes, I know that many people will be upset about losing "swordmage-the-race", but I decided that I might as well go all out if I'm going to do this at all, and honestly, Intelligence and Strength are about the last two ability score bonuses that I would have given the race. I decided on Charisma as the primary ability because I view Charisma as the mental version of Strength (just as I view Wisdom as the mental version of Constitution and Intelligence as the mental version of Dexterity); I imagine Genasi having a great deal of elemental power, and while I do imagine this power as manifesting physically, I view it primarily as mental. Secondarily, I selected Constitution and Dexterity because I can imagine all possible Genasi manifestations (even those not redone here and even those not yet recreated in 4E at all) as being well represented by either bonus, some even by both.

There was the temptation to tie a character's secondary ability score bonus to their selected manifestation, but I decided against this because (A) if they still only got the option between Constitution and Dexterity across the entire race, then I feel like that would be too limiting to each individual manifestation, (B) if they got more than just those two options across the entire race, then I feel like that would make the race as a whole too versatile, and (C) there are manifestations for which I could easily see either option equally making sense (e.g. Water).

Many of you may have realized that my proposed Genasi ability score bonuses would mean that there would be no race that could grant bonuses to both Strength and Intelligence. To be honest, I don't care. It's just not important to me to have every possible racial ability score bonus combination covered, and I was totally fine with our lack of a race with boosts to both Constitution and Intelligence. I realize that this may not be the case for some of you, but rest assured that the remainder of this project can still be used just as well even if you decide to keep the race's original bonuses (I could hardly blame you, and I wouldn't at all be offended). However, I will not be persuaded to alter these bonuses by concerns that are not thematic.

Moving on, the second thing that you may notice is that the race's basic block does not have a listed speed. This is because speed is something that I've decided to tie to each individual manifestation. Some manifestations are faster, and some manifestations are slower. This makes good thematic sense to me, but I saw no need to extend this to other features like Size and Vision.

Third, you'll notice that the race's basic block grants only a single racial skill bonus. Again, the second skill bonus is something that I've decided should logically vary depending on the element being manifested. A bonus to Nature, however, was something that I felt should appear as a constant, especially since Wisdom almost made it as this race's primary ability score bonus over Charisma pretty much solely because of Nature.

Finally, you'll notice that I've only recreated four manifestations.  I have given some thought to additional manifestations, but for the initial presentation of this idea, I wanted to limit the number of manifestations that we would have to discuss down to the four classical elements. If this concept sees some success, then I will consider adding manifestations for Cold and Lightning, possibly even Light and Dark.

EARTH-SOUL

Speed: 5 squares
Skill Bonus: When you first gain this manifestation, select either +2 Dungeoneering or +2 Endurance. This choice can be retrained.
Earth: You have the Earth keyword.
Landslide: You have Earth Walk. (You ignore difficult terrain that is rubble, uneven stone, or an earthen construction.)
You ignore armor penalties to your speed. When you are slowed while wearing light or no armor, your speed becomes 3 instead of 2.
Rugged Form: When an attack would score a critical hit against you, you can immediately make a saving throw to turn the critical hit into a normal hit.
Earth-Shock: You have the Earth-Shock power.

Earth-Shock (Earth-Soul Genasi Racial Power)
Encounter
Minor Action, Close blast 3 or burst 1
Target: Each creature in the blast or burst that is touching the ground.
Attack: Highest ability score +3 vs. Fortitude
(+6 at 11th level, +9 at 21st level)

Hit: The target is knocked prone.

Get ready to rock
The Earth-Soul was the first that I decided to tackle, and right away, I envisioned characters with this manifestation as being slower, which is part of why I removed Speed from the race's basic block above to begin with. To compensate for this lower speed, the race has the Landslide feature. It borrows the Dwarf's ability to ignore armor penalties to speed, but unlike the Dwarf, it also grants at least some benefit to characters not burdened by armor, an increased movement speed while slowed. The Earth Walk mechanic was something that I added a lot later when I realized that this manifestation was lacking compared to the others, and I feel that ignoring some of the most common sorts of difficult terrain in the game is pretty amazing, but not so amazing that it overpowers the race, especially not with a speed of 5. The working name of this feature was "Steadfast", but I originally intended to name this feature something with the word "boulder", as I imagine a boulder not actually being all that fast (at last not at first) but being unstoppable enough to be scary.

One thing that I wanted to make sure that I got rid of in this redesign was boring defense bonuses, but I understood the logic in wanting to grant the manifestation a feature that represented its physical toughness. Indeed, the physical toughness of a being so strongly associated with (and arguably at least partially constructed of) earth and stone should be substantial, and so I created the Rugged Form feature. It may seem too good, but remember that turning a monster's critical hit into a normal hit isn't nearly as bad or significant as turning's a player character's critical hit into a normal hit.

I know that the old blanket +1 to all saves was awesome, but I really just wasn't feeling the thematic justification for it beyond the toughness already covered, and it was frankly a very boring feature, so I decided to scrap it entirely.

Finally, I didn't actually change the racial power too much. In fact, most of these racial power revisions stick pretty closely to their original version. The only changes that I made to Earth-Shock were (A) improving its attack bonus to current standards, (B) changing its range to give the option of using it either as a blast or as a burst so that more artillery characters could make better use of it, and (C) having it target all creatures instead of only enemies for thematic and balance reasons.

All in all, this was a pretty simple manifestation to redo, and I don't expect that it will cause too much fuss or controversy.

FIRE-SOUL

Speed: 6 squares
Skill Bonus: When you first gain this manifestation, select either +2 History or +2 Intimidate. This choice can be retrained.
Fervent Form: You have resistance to fire damage equal to 5 + one-half of your level.
Fire: You have the Fire keyword. Unlike other Fire creatures, you do not shed light by default.
Ignite: You have the Ignite power.
Fire-Pulse: You have the Fire-Pulse power.

Ignite (Fire-Soul Genasi Racial Power)
At-Will
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: You shed either dim light to a radius of 2 squares, bright light to a radius of 5 squares, or bright light to a radius of 10 squares.
While you shed light as a result of this power, you can as a minor action cause one flammable object that is not carried by another creature to catch fire. While you shed dim light as a result of this power, this can be any object that you touch. While you shed bright light as a result of this power, this can be any object that is within 5 squares of you.
You can end the effects of this power as a free action. Otherwise, they last either until you use this power again or until you fall unconscious.

Fire-Pulse (Fire-Soul Genasi Racial Power)
Encounter * Fire
Special: You can use this power in one of two ways:
* Minor Action, Close burst 3
* Target: One creature in the burst.
* Immediate Reaction, Close burst 3
* Trigger: An enemy in the burst hits you with a melee attack.
* Target: The triggering enemy in the burst.
Attack: Highest ability score +3 vs. Reflex
(+6 at 11th level, +9 at 21st level)

Hit: 1d8 + highest ability score modifier fire damage, and each creature adjacent to the target takes fire damage equal to your highest ability score modifier.
(2d8 + at 11th level, 4d8 + at 21st level)

Burn the midnight oil
The reasoning behind the Fire-Soul's skill bonus options may need a bit of explaining. History was actually the first bonus that came to mind because Fire is so often used as a metaphor and embodiment of intelligence, technology, innovation, and civilization, and I felt that this was covered best by History. I decided on Intimidate after reviewing a list of skills and deciding that Fire was something that most creature have some immediate (if not innate) fear of because of its reputation for being such a destructive elemental force.

Fervent Form is just Fire resistance. Yes, I am altering these manifestations significantly (and, yes, I did get rid of the boring and unnecessary defense bonus), but did you really think that I'd make a Fire-Soul Genasi without Fire resistance? That would make no sense. I did, however, at least improve it to Tiefling-like scaling.

The Ignite power simply does what I think that a Fire-Soul Genasi should have been able to do all along. The physical description for the manifestation even says that its hair is literally Fire, so why can't these characters even brighten up a room? The power also allows the character to set fire to nearby objects, a feature that I must admit that I stole from the Psionic Spark Wild Talent Cantrip. Yes, I do realize that this entire power is mostly just flavor and merely replicates the effects of what you could do if you just bought a candle and a torch, so no, I am not considering it to be a major racial feature in terms of mechanical power, but other than Fire resistance, lighting, and setting stuff on Fire, there really isn't that much that I expect from the Fire-Soul, and so I spent the rest of the design space for this manifestation improving its terrible racial power.

For those of you that didn't know that Fire-Pulse was a terrible power, please go take a look at the updated version of the Tiefling's Infernal Wrath racial power. Go on, I'll wait… … … … … See what I mean? Infernal Wrath is pretty much objectively better than Fire-Pulse in every way: it's a free action, much better than an immediate reaction; it's range is better by 9 squares; it has a far less restrictive trigger, only requiring that you get hit rather than that you get hit specifically by a melee attack; and it doesn't even require an attack roll and instead functions as an effect. Worst of all about Fire-Pulse, though, is it made no thematic sense. Why in the world should these characters only be able to set an enemy on fire after getting hit? Why can they not set fire to an enemy whenever they want? However, not only did I need to bring Fire-Pulse up to par mechanically and alter it to make sense thematically, I also needed to add in something to make up for the Fire-Soul's current mechanical inadequacy. My solution was twofold:
(A) After improving the power's attack and damage to current standards and improving the power's range to something more reasonable and useful, I added a secondary attack targeting creatures adjacent to the primary target. This would give the power a reason to require an attack roll. Unfortunately, I still found this lacking in power, and I also feared that it made the power too complex, so the power now simply deals fire damage to all creatures adjacent to the target as an effect upon successfully blowing up the initial target. Note that, while this does affect the character itself if it is adjacent to the target, this damage is never enough at any level to surpass the character's fire resistance anyway.
(B) Because I both wanted to allow the power's use not to be restricted to when the character was hit in melee for thematic reasons and wanted to use my leftover design space to improve this power's versatility while not necessarily making any individual use of the power any more powerful than any individual use of any other racial power, allowing the power to be used either as a minor action or as an immediate reaction was actually the first thing that came to mind, and I must say that I'm rather pleased with the result both thematically and mechanically. The minor action version seems about comparable in power to the Dragonborn's Dragon Breath racial power, and the hit effect seems decent enough to justify the attack roll and other limitations on the Immediate Reaction version in comparison to the Tiefling's Infernal Wrath.

AIR-SOUL

Speed: 7 squares
Skill Bonus: When you first gain this manifestation, select either +2 Acrobatics or +2 Stealth. This choice can be retrained.
Air: You have the Air keyword.
Swirling Form: You gain a +2 racial bonus to Athletics checks made to jump, and each of your allies within 5 squares of you gains a +1 racial bonus to Athletics checks made to jump.
Glide: You have the Glide power.
Wind-Walk: You have the Wind-Walk power.

Glide (Air-Soul Genasi Racial Power)
At-Will
Free Action, Personal
Trigger: You fall at least 10 feet (2 squares).
Effect: You take no damage from the fall.
If you use this power not during your turn and fall at least 25 feet (5 squares), then you can choose to stop falling. You resume falling immediately after the start of your next turn. You also resume falling if you are stunned or if you fall prone, as though you were flying.
If you use this power during your turn and fall at least 25 feet (5 squares), then you can choose to stop falling and gain a fly speed equal to your speed until the end of your turn (you resume falling immediately after the end of your turn). However, this flight cannot take you upward, and if you fly upward before the end of your turn (such as by using your Wind-Walk racial power), then you lose this flight and cannot use this power to stop falling until after you have landed or until the end of your turn (you can still use it to not take damage from a fall).
Special: Unlike other free actions, this power can be used at the start of your turn or at the end of your turn. If you use this power at the start of your turn, then you treat it as having been used during your turn. If you use this power at the end of your turn, then you treat it as having been used not during your turn.

Wind-Walk (Air-Soul Genasi Racial Power)
Encounter
Move Action, Personal
Effect: You can fly a number of squares equal to your speed +2.

Gonna blow your mind
(( Note that Glide has been altered since I posted this thread, so the majority of the following is now irrelevant. ))

You skipped to this one because I said that it could fly, didn't you? Well, since we're on the subject, I might as well go ahead an talk about it. Sorry to disappoint you, but there's just no way to balance normal or even overland flight at-will. The benefit alone of being able to ignore all difficult terrain is simply too powerful in combat to be a racial feature, and even overland flight is simply too amazing out of combat. What I think can be done, however, is Glide. I first got the idea for a racial feature like Glide when I saw the Winged Bracers, an item way back in Dragon Magazine 369 (cookie if you can guess why I was initially so excited to read that issue to begin with). Unfortunately, while the mechanic was a great attempt, it just didn't make a lot of sense logically and was very problematic mechanically. Why do a 4-square fall and a 20-square fall allow me to fly the same distance? Does this really allow me to fly during somebody else's turn? Why does this let me fly even if I'm unconscious or petrified? I also wanted to allow Air-Soul Genasi to avoid falling damage, but I always felt it weird that so many effects that reduce falling damage function while a character shouldn't be able to take any actions at all, so I combined all of this into one, little, neat, tidy, free-action power.

Okay, so the power isn't that neat or tidy. In fact, the power is very complicated and even pretty difficult to understand. Even I have some trouble with it, and I'm the guy who wrote it. Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that I can't figure out a way to craft his power without it being this complicated, and I have been trying basically ever since I put up the Penguins and moved onto this project two weeks ago. So, before you spout out the first thing that comes to mind, please make sure that you understand every aspect of why the power currently looks the way that it does.

The first thing that you may be wondering is why in the world this power needs to work with "start of turn" and "end of turn" mechanics. The reason is that this power should not allow the character to fly on a turn other than their own. I have limited this by only allowing the power to grant flight during a character's own turn, but falling often happens on a turn other than the character's own, and so the power basically needs to delay falling until the character's turn. Furthermore, if the power is only going to grant flight during the character's turn, then the character is going to start falling again at the end of their turn (I do not want to grant flight until the start of the character's next turn because I do not want to allow the character additional movement with flight that could be granted on another character's turn, and this would also screw too much with the trigger necessary to keep the character falling at a reasonable rate). It's a little known rule, but you actually can't use any actions during the start or end of your turn (seriously, look it up), so this power has to make special allowances to get used during those times.

I did experiment briefly with the wording of falling "immediately after the start of your turn" and "immediately after the end of your turn", but believe it or not, that turned out to be more confusing, specifically when it came to wording when a character could or could not gain the fly speed if falling on their own turn, because getting it after falling only 10 feet was way too little but needing to fall 30 more feet after already having fallen 30 feet was excessive. Besides, there are other reasons why a character might fall at the start or end of their turn, and I'd like for this power to be usable in such circumstances anyway.

The rest of the distances have been carefully crafted to allow the character one turn of flight (maximum of 14 squares with a double move or 18 squares with a double run) for every 40 feet (8 squares) that the character falls, though this is only 30 feet (6 squares) on the character's own turn, which is fine because it probably needed to use an action to fall to begin with anyway. The reason that this is 40 feet and not 30 feet as it may seem to be is because for the power to grant consistent flight it must get used during an initial fall (at least 30 feet), again during the fall at the start of the character's turn before it can fly (another 10 feet, totaling 40 feet), again at the end of the character's turn when it falls after losing its fly speed (another 30), again at the start of the character's turn again (another 10 feet , totaling 40 feet since the character's last turn), and so on.

The part about losing the flight if you fly upward is actually a very recent addition that I added in when I realized that having some sort of method of at least semi-legitimately flying at-will (such as by taking the Desert's Voice prestige class and getting Wind-Walk as an at-will power) would be very problematic when combined with this power. This solution may seem a bit forced, but I think that it works.

The power may still not be perfect, but that's for you to decide and hopefully help me out with. There are still a lot of weird questions. For example, what exactly happens if you get knocked prone while hanging in mid-air (between using the power and gaining a fly speed at the start of your turn) but fall far enough to remain hanging in mid-air though use of the power again? Should this power even be allowed to be used when the character falls prone in mid-air, even though creatures that can legitimately fly cannot stop their fall in any such way? I've at least specified that the character resumes falling if it is stunned or of it falls prone, so some of these questions may be questions that could be asked about any flying creature that falls prone, so is it really the job of this power to give those circumstances rules at all? Or should I merely give a recommended ruling for such a circumstance but not actually include any additional rules in the power?

Oh, but wait, that's right, this manifestations has other features besides Glide that we should discuss, doesn't it? Well, between Glide and the speed of 7, I still wanted to give the Air-Soul a little something more but not anything too big. I knew from the beginning that I wanted to give it a bonus to jumping somehow, but Glide exhausted all of my originality, so I settled on a safe and simple minor bonus to Athletics checks made to jump, combined with the ability to grant this bonus to nearby allies in a fashion similar to the Elf's Group Awareness racial feature or the Half-Elf's Group Diplomacy racial features.

The Wind-Walk racial power also underwent a minor change. It used to be that this power simply allowed a character to fly 8 squares, but it has always bothered me here, as it has with many monster abilities, that this is unaffected by being slowed. However, the power now also improves as your speed does, including the speed bonus I granted the race, which makes this power now grant 9 squares of flight by default, so I shouldn't hear too many objections here.

I made sure that Wind-Walk would not alone grant problematic use of Glide in or out of battle. By the end of the character's turn after using Wind-Walk, it will have fallen a total of at least 60 feet (30 feet after using the power and 30 additional feet at the end of their turn), so it would need to get a total speed bonus of +5 before this would become problematic.

You may also notice that the revised form of this manifestation does not grant resistance to cold. This is because I never understood the thematic justification for granting them cold resistance to begin with. Frankly, there are better and more important things that need to be granted by this manifestation long before cold resistance.

WATER-SOUL

Speed: 6 squares, swim 4 squares
Skill Bonus: When you first gain this manifestation, select either +2 Endurance or +2 Heal. This choice can be retrained.
Aquatic: You have the Aquatic keyword. (You can breath underwater. In aquatic combat, you gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls against non-aquatic creatures.)
Rippling Form: You can make an escape attempt as a minor action instead of as a move action.
All ongoing damage that you take is halved.
Water: You have the Water keyword.
Swift-Current: You have the Swift-Current power.

Swift-Current (Water-Soul Genasi Racial Power)
Encounter
Move Action, Personal
Effect: You can shift up to your speed over ground or liquid terrain. You take no penalties for squeezing during this movement, can move through enemy spaces, ignore difficult terrain, and take no damage if the surface or substance you move across would ordinarily deal damage to you.

Go with the flow
And finally the Water-Soul! To be honest, it bothers me to absolutely no end that the official Water-Soul Genasi gets not a single bonus to swimming beyond its Strength bonus, and even that's not necessarily guaranteed anymore since Genasi were granted the long-awaited racial ability score bonus combination of Constitution and Intelligence. Now, I don't intend to imply that Genasi are a primarily aquatic race, but I don't think that they should be so terribly inconvenienced by battling in what is literally their element. To this end, I have granted them the Aquatic keyword and a swim speed.

I was originally going to grant them a swim speed of 6, but I felt that was taking up too much design space that might not even get used in many campaigns. Besides, I still didn't want to give the impression that the race was primarily aquatic. Then, I thought about granting them a swim speed equal to half of their normal speed, but I ran into the problem of what happens when a character is slowed; does their swim speed become 2 or 1? Then, I thought about a swim speed of 3, but it bothered me that the slowed condition would then have no effect on heavily armored character. Therefore, I finally settled on a swim speed of 4 squares.

Rippling Form is actually where most of the crunch is for this manifestation. I understand why the official Water-Soul Genasi gets a bonus to saves versus ongoing damage, but save bonuses are just so overdone as racial features, so I decided to take an alternative approach and simply say that Water-Soul Genasi  take only half damage from ongoing damage. It's simple, elegant, effective, and keeps in theme with their official feature.

The other benefit of Rippling Form was added last, when I decided that this manifestation needed just a little something extra going for it in campaigns that would never include aquatic combat. It's a feature that I often recommend for home-brewed races that want to gain some sort of bonus to escape, and it's both simple and effective enough to serve as a minor boost while also not adding so much that I would worry about the manifestation being overpowered in a campaign that did include a large amount of aquatic combat. In case the thematic justification for this ability isn't obvious, its working name was "Slippery" before I decided to simply add it to Rippling Form.

Swift-Current is the only racial power (or racial feature in general) that has not at all been altered from its original version. I think that it's perfect the way that it is. I briefly considered also having it allow characters to squeeze as though they were tiny, but then I ran into complications when I had to come up with rules for what would happen were this shift to end in a space that the character could not occupy. It was more trouble than it was worth, and there's no sense in potentially ruining a perfectly good power.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
ALTERED FEATS
DOUBLE MANIFESTATION
Source: Forgotten Realms Player's Guide
Prerequisite: 21st level, Genasi, Extra Manifestation feat
Benefit: You can manifest two different elemental manifestations simultaneously, but you do not gain all features of both manifestations while doing so. Instead, you gain features as follows:
* When you manifest your Earth-Soul, you gain the Earth, Landslide, and Earth-Shock features.
* When you manifest your Fire-Soul, you gain the Fervent Form, Fire, and Fire-Pulse features, but you cannot use your Fire-Pulse power as a minor action.
* When you manifest your Air-Soul, you gain the Air, Glide, and Wind-Walk features.
* When you manifest your Water-Soul, you gain the Aquatic, Water, and Swift-Current features, and all ongoing damage that you take is halved.
You also gain the Skill Bonus feature of one of your manifestations, chosen when you initially manifest both elements. When you manifest elements with different speeds, you take the lowest speed.
This feat doesn't grant you any extra manifestations, so you can only manifest elements that you already have access to.

ELEMENTAL GUARDIAN
Source: Martial Power
Prerequisite: 11th level, CON 15, Genasi, Fighter
Benefit: When you end your turn adjacent to any of your allies or adjacent to any enemy that is adjacent to any of your allies, you and one such ally of your choice gain a benefit until the end of your next turn depending on the element that you are currently manifesting.:
* Earth-Soul: You ignore all difficult terrain when you shift. Your ally gains Earth Walk.
* Fire-Soul: Your resist fire improved by 5. Your ally gains resist fire 5.
* Air-Soul: You and your ally each gain a +2 racial bonus to AC and Reflex against opportunity attacks.
* Water-Soul: You gain a +2 racial bonus to saving throws against effects that include ongoing damage. All ongoing damage that your ally takes is halved.

FIRE-PULSE MASTER
Source: Dragon Magazine 367
Prerequisite: Genasi, Fire-Pulse racial power
Benefit: Your Fire-Pulse power gains the Reliable keyword and deals an extra 1D6 damage to its target.

FIRE-PULSE TRANSFORMATION
Source: Dragon Magazine 391
Prerequisite: Genasi, Fire-Pulse racial power
Benefit: When you use your Fire-Pulse racial power, each enemy adjacent to you that did not take fire damage as a result of the power takes fire damage equal to your highest ability score modifier.

ALTERED PARAGON PATH FEATURES
ELEMENTAL TEMPEST
Dual Manifestation (11th level): You can use two different elemental manifestations at the same time, but you do not gain all features of both manifestations while doing so. Instead, you gain features as follows:
* When you manifest your Earth-Soul, you gain the Earth, Landslide, and Earth-Shock features.
* When you manifest your Fire-Soul, you gain the Fervent Form, Fire, and Fire-Pulse features, but you cannot use your Fire-Pulse power as a minor action.
* When you manifest your Air-Soul, you gain the Air, Glide, and Wind-Walk features.
* When you manifest your Water-Soul, you gain the Aquatic, Water, and Swift-Current features, and all ongoing damage that you take is halved.
You also gain the Skill Bonus feature of one of your manifestations, chosen when you initially manifest both elements. When you manifest elements with different speeds, you take the lowest speed. You can use the encounter powers for both of these manifestations in the same encounter.

WHIRLWIND GENASI
Whirlwind Breeze (11th level): When you use the Wind-Walk power, you gain a fly speed of 8 until the end of your next turn, but you cannot use the Glide power until after the end of your next turn.

CONCORDANT LEADER
Shared Manifestation (Concordant Leader Utility 12) Effect: The target shares one elemental manifestation you are currently manifesting. The effect lasts until the end of the encounter or until you take a minor action to end it. If the target already has an elemental manifestation, the new manifestation replaces the previous one for the duration of this effect. If the target gained all features of the previous manifestation, then it gains all features of the new manifestation, but if the target did not gain all features of the previous manifestation or did not already have a manifestation, then it instead gains features as follows:
* If the target shares your Earth-Soul, it gains the Landslide and Earth-Shock features.
* If the target shares your Fire-Soul, it gains the Fervent Form and Fire-Pulse features, but it cannot use Fire-Pulse power as a minor action.
* If the target shares your Air-Soul, it gains the Glide and Wind-Walk features.
* If the target shares your Water-Soul, it gains the Aquatic and Swift-Current features, and all ongoing damage that it takes is halved.

That was surprisingly easy... I must have done something wrong...
I was actually pretty surprised at how few feats and features needed to be reworked to accommodate this alternative interpretation of the Genasi race.

The most significant things that needed to be altered were those that allowed the Genasi to manifest multiple elemental manifestations at once. I knew going in that I would have to deal with this, but I decided that I would not recreate the basic forms of the manifestations with this in mind. Instead, I would work out how to make these work later. I have to say, I'm actually pretty pleased with how this turned out. The only thing that I don't think that I was able to do well in this are was the Soul of Erosion's Union of Blessed and Cursed Waters, and that was because I do not have a Caustic-Soul manifestation (and I don't plan on making one). My recommendation when it comes to mixing this variant with existing manifestations is simply, well, that you shouldn't. They're just designed too differently to mesh seamlessly, at least in my opinion.

I actually didn't think that my chance to Fire-Pulse would require so many alterations, but they were both pretty simple and intuitive, so no worries.

On the flip side, I expected to need to alter much more to accommodate Glide, but it turned out that I only needed to alter the Whirlwind Genasi's Whirlwind Breeze to avoid shenanigans of a character running straight up for two turns and then spending rounds upon rounds safely out of harm's way.

The only one of these that I'm really not happy enough with is the Elemental Guardian feat. The feats not very good at all to begin with, though, so I'm not going to let it bother me too much.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
The benefit for the water manifestaion on elemental gaurdian seems especially meh.

Also would the sustain system clean up glide any?
The benefit for the water manifestaion on elemental gaurdian seems especially meh.

Yup, the feat is pretty awful, and I have no idea why anybody would ever take it. I was tempted to ignore it completely, but it did technically require some alteration based on this version of the race.

Also would the sustain system clean up glide any?

Unfortunately, I do not think so (A) because of how the power works with start of turn and end of turn mechanics, when a power cannot be sustained (it's complex enough making exceptions for free actions without making exceptions for entirely new ways for a sustain to work) and (B) because there aren't really any effects of the power that would last long enough to be sustained (none last even a whole round), and this is intended to prevent too much hanging around in the air and to prevent possible nonsensical consequences of allowing effects to go on longer than may be logically called for.

what if you broke it up into separate powers?
what if you broke it up into separate powers?

I have considered that, but I worried that the result of splitting the power up into all of its separate functions would be too overwhelming and confusing. Still, I never did actually try it to see how it would look...

Sky-Dive: You gain the Free-Fall, Hover, and Glide powers.

Free-Fall
At-Will
Free Action, Personal
Trigger: You fall at least 10 feet (2 squares). Unlike other free actions, this power can still be used at the start of your turn or at the end of your turn.

Hover
At-Will
Free Action, Personal
Trigger: You fall at least 30 feet (6 squares). Unlike other free actions, this power can still be used at the start of your turn or at the end of your turn.
Effect: You stop falling. If you use this power at the start of your turn or during your turn, then you resume falling at the end of your turn. If you use this power at the end of your turn or during another's turn, then you resume falling at the start of your next turn. You also resume falling if you are stunned or if you fall prone, as though you were flying.

Glide
At-Will
Free Action, Personal
Trigger: You fall at least 10 feet (2 squares) at the start of your turn or at least 30 feet (6 squares) during your turn. Unlike other free actions, this power can still be used at the start of your turn.
Effect: You can choose to expend your turn's minor action. If you do, then you stop falling and gain a fly speed equal to your speed until the end of your turn. However, this flight cannot take you upward, and if you fly upward before the end of your turn (such as by using your Wind-Walk racial power), then you lose this flight and cannot use this power or Hover until after you have landed.

Splitting the power up like this is functionally identical, so I guess the question is then whether splitting it up really makes it easier to understand or not. I'd prefer to make it work as a single power, but if this is easier to understand and implement, then I could certainly deal with this.

Well this is really more so I can get it sorted out on a function by function basis. I'm hoping to clear up a few points and then the powers can be merged again.

Glide for example, why does it trigger sooner at the start of your turn?

What's wrong with this?

Trigger: You fall at least 30 feet (6 squares) during your turn.   Unlike other free actions, this power can still be used at the start of   your turn. 
Because by the start of your turn, you've already fallen at least 30 feet (I don't know of any way other than the Hover version of the power to fall at the start of your turn), so requiring an additional 30 feet of falling seems excessive. It would mean that the character gets a turn of flight for every 60 feet of falling instead of every 40 feet of falling. I considered trying to simplify by having all of the specified fall heights be 20 feet, still resulting in 40 feet of falling for every turn of flight, but then I feel like it's too easy to abuse because a character only needs to fly 10 squares on their turn (not difficult, especially not with the Wind-Walk racial power) to end up out of reach of many melee enemies for a whole round... I suppose I could split the difference and change all of the specified fall heights to 25 feet (5 squares), other than the Free-Fall version, of course... That would change the Glide portion to:

Glide
At-Will
Free Action, Personal
Trigger: You fall at least 25 feet (2 squares) at the start of your turn or during your turn. Unlike other free actions, this power can still be used at the start of your turn.
Effect: You can choose to expend your turn's minor action. If you do, then you stop falling and gain a fly speed equal to your speed until the end of your turn. However, this flight cannot take you upward, and if you fly upward before the end of your turn (such as by using your Wind-Walk racial power), then you lose this flight and cannot use this power or Hover until after you have landed.

As for your trigger, I'm actually not totally clear if the start of your turn counts as being during your turn because the rules are sort of weirdly worded about that.

Actually, if I'm going to normalize it all to 25 feet, then I can just ditch the start and end of turn weirdness probably and instead specify "immediately after the start of your turn" and "immediately after the end of your turn". What do you think of this?

At-Will
Free Action, Personal
If you fall at least 25 feet (5 squares), then you can choose to stop falling at any point during the fall. If you use this power during your turn, then you resume falling immediately after the end of your turn. If you use this power not during your turn, then you resume falling immediately after the start of your next turn. You also resume falling if you are stunned or if you fall prone, as though you were flying.
Special: If you use this power during your turn and fall at least 25 feet (5 squares), then you can choose to spend a minor action. If you do, then you stop falling and gain a fly speed equal to your speed until the end of your turn (you then resume falling immediately after the end of your turn). However, this flight cannot take you upward, and if you fly upward before the end of your turn (such as by using your Wind-Walk racial power), then you lose this flight and cannot use this power until after you have landed.

Or, separated out again into its constituent functions...

Free-Fall
At-Will
Free Action, Personal

Hover
At-Will
Free Action, Personal
Trigger: You fall at least 25 feet (5 squares).
Effect: You stop falling. If you use this power during your turn, then you resume falling immediately after the end of your turn. If you use this power not during your turn, then you resume falling immediately after the start of your next turn. You also resume falling if you are stunned or if you fall prone, as though you were flying.

Glide
At-Will
Free Action, Personal
Trigger: You fall at least 25 feet (5 squares) during your turn.
Effect: You can choose to spend a minor action. If you do, then you stop falling and gain a fly speed equal to your speed until the end of your turn (you then resume falling immediately after the end of your turn). However, this flight cannot take you upward, and if you fly upward before the end of your turn (such as by using your Wind-Walk racial power), then you lose this flight and cannot use this power or Hover until after you have landed.

I looked up the one effect that I thought actually could make you fall at the end of your turn, but it turns out I was wrong, so maybe there's nothing that can do that and I don't need to bother with it at all.

This is simpler, and I like it a lot better. Thank you, rampant. Do you like it?

ok my understanding is that when you fall it happens all at once at whatever phase of your turn you're in unless you're more than 500 feet high

at that point the falling happens at the end of your turn
I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't think that's in the falling rules.

EDIT: Wait, I found it. It's in the Crashing rules. Hmm... How to fix this...

How about a duration "until the end of your next action", rather than all the beginning and end of turns wordiness? That simply means if you don't use the Minor to glide, you'll fall.

Also, an immobilise mid-air (sim to Telekinetic Lift) might be a quicker way to cover interactions (albeit slightly different ones) with other game elements.

Halt fall
Trigger (No Action, 1/round): You would fall more than 30 feet.
Effect: You may interrupt your fall, and are considered immobilised at the altitude of your choice until the end of your next action.

Glide
Requirement: You must be immobilised due to use of the halt fall power.
Minor action: You gain fly speed, no upwards, yadda, yadda . ..

Note this also plays differently with prone - the character would not continue falling, but would need to Crawl/Fly or "stand up" in mid air after using their minor - both thematically OK IMO.

By RAW, interactions with forced movement are left to DM interpretation (some immobilizes move with the target, some don't). I'd be inclined to conisder this a "personal" effect which is not removed from the target through forced movement.
How about a duration "until the end of your next action"?

I don't think that actually means anything mechanically, and it raises a lot of questions like what happens if a character simply takes no actions at all during their turn? This feature is not intended to allow characters to hang out in the air forever.

Also, an immobilise mid-air (sim to Telekinetic Lift) might be a quicker way to cover interactions (albeit slightly different ones) with other game elements.

Halt fall
Trigger (No Action, 1/round): You would fall more than 30 feet.
Effect: You may interrupt your fall, and are considered immobilised at the altitude of your choice until the end of your next action.

I'm not understanding why the immobilized condition would help. You can still fall while immobilized (gravity is a pull). Without a fly speed, the character is de facto immobilized anyway, so there's no reason to say so any further, and it only raises weird questions about what happens if they have their immobilized condition removed. If the answer is nothing, then what's the point?
Also, the reason that this is a power and not a feature is exactly because I want for it to require an action, and it's easier to model that through a power. I see no reason why an unconscious, petrified, or stunned character should be able to do any of these things, so this should not be a No Action power but a Free Action power.

Note this also plays differently with prone - the character would not continue falling, but would need to Crawl/Fly or "stand up" in mid air after using their minor - both thematically OK IMO.

A character can't be prone in mid-air. The prone condition specifies that a character can only be prone while lying on the ground. This is why flying creatures fall instead of becoming prone.

technically they fall AND become prone

ok it looks lots cleaner and nicer now, you might even be able to get away with re-combining the powers, but that's not a big deal
technically they fall AND become prone

Only if they fall more than their speed, actually. If the distance that they fall is less than their speed, then they take no falling damage and do not fall prone. Either way, they're not prone until they hit the ground.

ok it looks lots cleaner and nicer now, but I have one question,. now that it is cleaned up maybe the hover and glide powers could be recombined? when you use it during not your turn it's hover, when you use it during your turn it's glide

And remove the minor action requirement? I wanted it there to help balance the power, but I guess that it's really not that big of a deal... You could say it's a very minor change. ... I'm sorry for that. I'm not very funny.

Anyway, let's see here:

At-Will
Free Action, Personal
If you use this power not during your turn and fall at least 25 feet (5 squares), then you can choose to stop falling at any point during the fall. You resume falling immediately after the start of your next turn. You also resume falling if you are stunned or if you fall prone, as though you were flying.
If you use this power during your turn and fall at least 25 feet (5 squares), then you can choose to stop falling at any point during the fall and gain a fly speed equal to your speed until the end of your turn (you resume falling immediately after the end of your turn). However, this flight cannot take you upward, and if you fly upward before the end of your turn (such as by using your Wind-Walk racial power), then you lose this flight and cannot use this power to stop falling until after you have landed (you can still use it to not take damage from a fall).

Wow, this is a lot shorter and clearer now.
I made another small change to the last sentence so that the power can still be used to negate falling damage but not to stop falling. I trust that this is not a problem. The only thing that I need to figure out now is how to deal with falling at the start and end of your turns when necessary without screwing too much with how the power works now...

How about just adding this to the end?

Special: Unlike other free actions, this power can be used at the start of your turn or at the end of your turn. If you use this power at the end of your turn, then you treat it as having been used not during your turn. If you use this power at the start of your turn, then you treat it as having been used during your turn.

I've found more circumstances where you could fall at the end of your turn (Item: Skygliders) but none where you could fall at the start. Still, maybe it should be added in just in case?

Well I don't think you can fall at the start. I mean unless there's a monster that knocks people prone at the start of their turns. Because I think that if you're falling a long way you get to take your turn (sans any actions you can't do while falling, i.e. moving, standing, and making fruit cake), then the fall happens at the end phase while you're rolling saves (though honestly it would probably be less painful if you just let the daze and stun effects in place until after a cleric gets to you). Otherwise something has to happen to you to knock you into a fall.

And once you start falling I think you count as being able to take this kind of action since it's triggered right? 
Well I don't think you can fall at the start. I mean unless there's a monster that knocks people prone at the start of their turns.

I don't think that there's any way to fall at the start of your turn currently, but the mechanical possibility is technically there, so I'd rather include it in case such a possibility is realized at some point. Added to a completely separate Special line at the bottom of the power, I don't think that is interferes with clear understanding of the power.

And once you start falling I think you count as being able to take this kind of action since it's triggered right? 

As long as you can otherwise take Free actions, yes.

So Glide now looks like this, and I'll update it in the original post.

At-Will
Free Action, Personal
If you use this power not during your turn and fall at least 25 feet (5 squares), then you can choose to stop falling at any point during the fall. You resume falling immediately after the start of your next turn. You also resume falling if you are stunned or if you fall prone, as though you were flying.
If you use this power during your turn and fall at least 25 feet (5 squares), then you can choose to stop falling at any point during the fall and gain a fly speed equal to your speed until the end of your turn (you resume falling immediately after the end of your turn). However, this flight cannot take you upward, and if you fly upward before the end of your turn (such as by using your Wind-Walk racial power), then you lose this flight and cannot use this power to stop falling until after you have landed (you can still use it to not take damage from a fall).
Special: Unlike other free actions, this power can be used at the start of your turn or at the end of your turn. If you use this power at the start of your turn, then you treat it as having been used during your turn. If you use this power at the end of your turn, then you treat it as having been used not during your turn.

Well I don't think you can fall at the start. I mean unless there's a monster that knocks people prone at the start of their turns.

I don't think that there's any way to fall at the start of your turn currently, but the mechanical possibility is technically there, so I'd rather include it in case such a possibility is realized at some point. Added to a completely separate Special line at the bottom of the power, I don't think that is interferes with clear understanding of the power.

As long as you can otherwise take Free actions, yes.

So Glide now looks like this, and I'll update it in the original post.

At-Will
Free Action, Personal

It's getting clearer, but still mind-twisting to hold the full decscription in my head.

I think part of the problem here is that you seem keen to construct the power description very tightly out of pre-existing and clear-cut core rules, with the wording all in the power.

Are you reluctant to do something such as create a Glide movement mode, and grant it from start of a fall to "End of Your Next Turn"? You could then detail rules for Glide movement in a similar way to rules for Overland Flight - i.e. seperately to the ability description, and in bullet-point form. For example, in those bullet points, assuming you are still keen that there is an action cost to gliding, you could say that a character that moves using Glide during their own turn only gets two actions Standard + Move. There is even the precedent of Overland Flight which makes action restrictions.

This approach would also have the advantage of re-use for other pseudo-flyers.

It's getting clearer, but still mind-twisting to hold the full decscription in my head.

What part exactly are you having trouble with?

I think part of the problem here is that you seem keen to construct the power description very tightly out of pre-existing and clear-cut core rules, with the wording all in the power.

I would have to disagree. I think that making the decision not to make up any new rules for this power and instead construct it entirely out of pre-existing and clear-cut core rules is exactly what's keeping it from being total gibberish. I do not want to make up any new general rules for this to functions because I don't think that any new general rules need to be made up for this to function.

Are you reluctant to do something such as create a Glide movement mode, and grant it from start of a fall to "End of Your Next Turn"?

Again, I want to avoid "end of next turn" because I don't want the flight to be available on any turn other than the character's own.

You could then detail rules for Glide movement in a similar way to rules for Overland Flight - i.e. seperately to the ability description, and in bullet-point form. For example, in those bullet points, assuming you are still keen that there is an action cost to gliding, you could say that a character that moves using Glide during their own turn only gets two actions Standard + Move. There is even the precedent of Overland Flight which makes action restrictions.

But I don't think that would be worth the extra complexity involved. Remember, there's only a very small portion of the power's text that actually currently deals with the flight involved, and it's not even clear what portion of it should go to the separate rules for gliding and what portion of it should stay as a specific function of the power itself that will not apply to all gliding (the only rules that I could see as definitely applying to all forms of gliding would be that it's flight that cannot take you upward, so that's not very much), so among other things, creating separate rules for gliding may only remove a very small part of the text of the power and would require two different rules sources to learn how the power works either way. I just don't see that as being any simpler.

This approach would also have the advantage of re-use for other pseudo-flyers.

This power can still be used as a general model for other pseudo-flying races without needing to make up any new rules. In fact, I must admit that this was a partial goal of my constructing this power was so that I can point people to something consistent whenever I see yet another race trying to fly using some wonky, nonsensical, or overpowered mechanics.

(( It's also why I totally expected the Glide mechanics to end up being the major focus of this thread's discussion. That said, however, I would still appreciate at least some feedback on the rest of the project. ))

What part exactly are you having trouble with?

The amount of text crammed into the description with special cases for amount of distance fallen, special casing for when you activate the power, interactions with other flight powers, interactions with conditions "as if you were flying". This power would need a flow-chart for me to understand its use as a player!

If this were computer code presented to me for code review, I'd reject it with "Too complex in a single routine, please re-factor"

The amount of text crammed into the description with special cases for amount of distance fallen, special casing for when you activate the power, interactions with other flight powers, interactions with conditions "as if you were flying". This power would need a flow-chart for me to understand its use as a player!

As I've mentioned earlier, there's no way for this not to be complicated. If it's too simple mechanically, then it stop making much sense thematically (recall that this is the problem with the Winged Bracers). If I move these rules from the power, then I have to put them somewhere else and end up scattering them around. The best that I might be able to do is to split it up into multiple powers, as was done earlier, but that would result in a lot of repetition of rules text, and I'm not convinced that would be any clearer.

Does it really seem any more understandable as two powers?

Hover
At-Will
Free Action, Personal
Trigger: You fall at least 10 feet (2 squares) not during your turn.
If you fall at least 25 feet (5 squares), then you can choose to stop falling at any point during the fall. You resume falling immediately after the start of your next turn. You also resume falling if you are stunned or if you fall prone, as though you were flying.
Special: You can also use this power if you fall at least 10 feet (2 squares) at the end of your turn.

Glide
At-Will
Free Action, Personal
Trigger: You fall at least 10 feet (2 squares) during your turn.
If you fall at least 25 feet (5 squares), then you can choose to stop falling at any point during the fall and gain a fly speed equal to your speed until the end of your turn (you resume falling immediately after the end of your turn). However, this flight cannot take you upward, and if you fly upward before the end of your turn (such as by using your Wind-Walk racial power), then you lose this flight and cannot use this power to stop falling until after you have landed or until the start of your next turn (you can still use this power to not take damage from a fall).
Special: You can also use this power if you fall at least 10 feet (2 squares) at the start of your turn.

EDIT: In case it's not clear, what I'm trying to say is that it's okay for the power to be complex as long as it is understandable enough. Complexity and understandability are not mutually exclusive ideas, so there are other ways to alter understandability without needing to alter complexity.

Maybe it would help if you could show me how you would do it?

I think I do prefer the split, although the problem is then comprehending how the powers "link", but at least I can figure out what to say Imagine a conversation player/DM - it's simpler to say "I use Hover." outside of turn, then "I use Glide." during the turn, than to say the latter in both situations and have to keep figuring out how Glide plays differently accoridng to all the situational constraints.

Is there not a way to phrase "Hover" so that Glide could trigger on your own turn due to the state of hovering? That would remove about half of the text from Glide . . .

I cannot see what prevents you giving the race a separate "Take no damage from falling..." feature? That would remove the "Fall at least 10 feet" (thus having two distances to associate with each power) and "You take no damage from the fall" text, and the "(you can still use this power to not take damage...)" text. I cannot see which in game events would play differently?

--------------------------------------

So, another suggestion, a re-working to reduce the text load, which you can consider "thrown at the wall" and pull apart for flaws:

Soft Landing (Air-soul Genasi Feature): Provided you are not helpless, stunned, or prone, you take no damage from falling.

Slow Fall
At-Will
Free Action, Personal (1/turn)
Trigger: You fall at least 25 feet (5 squares).
Effect: You can choose to stop falling at any point during the fall, and gain a Fly speed of 0. You lose this Fly speed, and resume falling immediately, either after the start of your next turn, or if you leave the square in which you stopped.
Special: You can use this power, provided you meet trigger conditions, at the start or end of your turn (unlike other Free Actions).

Glide
At-Will
Free Action, Personal (1/turn)
Trigger: During your turn, you have a Fly speed less than your highest speed.
Effect: You gain a fly speed equal to your highest speed, until the end of your turn. Flight granted by Glide may not be used to fly upwards.
Special: If you use any other power or ability to fly upwards, then the fly speed granted by Glide is immediately removed, and you may not use Glide or Slow Fall until the start of your next turn.

--------------------------------------

I renamed Hover just because it might be confused with Fly X (hover) - i.e. players might think they actually have Fly (hover). Just noticed that one. I put in restriction 1/turn, because I am concerned about attempts to chain these powers - especially "Slow Fall" which otherwise could be used repeatedly to prevent reasonable attempts to knock the character out of the sky.

Some of this might play differently in combination with other effects and powers than you intend. Most notably you could tack Glide onto anything that grants a lowish Fly speed (although most single action powers do not do so, they just make you Fly X squares). Some of course might be unworkable - you seem to have a more thorough understanding of flight/crash rules, and what might count as OP than I do.
Is there not a way to phrase "Hover" so that Glide could trigger on your own turn due to the state of hovering?

I'm not actually sure what you mean, but it sounds like you're suggesting that the character not start falling again at the start of their turn, and I don't think that's a good idea. It allows for too much air time. Anything less than a 40-foot fall between turns of flight would be too little, and I don't want for the power to allow characters to hang out in the air for too long in combat. In other words, if Wind-Walk followed by Glide is easily consistently allowing the character to remain aloft for an entire round, then the power needs to require more falling.

I cannot see what prevents you giving the race a separate "Take no damage from falling..." feature? That would remove the "Fall at least 10 feet" (thus having two distances to associate with each power) and "You take no damage from the fall" text, and the "(you can still use this power to not take damage...)" text. I cannot see which in game events would play differently?

I guess that I could, but again, the reason that I prefer that function to be part of a power as opposed to a feature (even if it's its own power) is because I want for it to require an action. There are too many game elements out there that negate falling damage while a character unconscious, stunned, petrified, etc., and I don't want that, at least not as a racial feature. The best that I could word such a feature would be something like:

Free-Fall: When you fall, even if you fall at the start or end of your turn, you can spend a free action to take no damage from the fall.
Free-Fall: As a free action, you can reduce any falling damage that you would take to zero, even if you fall at the start of end of your turn.
Free-Fall: As long as you are able to take free actions, you do not take falling damage, even if you fall at the start or end of your turn.

Maybe it's just me, but even those just don't feel quite right compared to a simple power format. They're features with an effect, a trigger, an action requirement, so I just feel like it's just more obvious and intuitive to make them a power like:

Free-Fall
At-Will
Free Action, Personal
Special: This power can still be used at the start or end of your turn.
Trigger: You fall.

Soft Landing (Air-soul Genasi Feature): Provided you are not helpless, stunned, or prone, you take no damage from falling.

I see no reason why being helpless or prone should be a restriction here. Characters can still take actions while helpless or prone.

Slow Fall

Effect: You can choose to stop falling at any point during the fall, and gain a Fly speed of 0. You lose this Fly speed, and resume falling immediately, either after the start of your next turn, or if you leave the square in which you stopped.
I really don't like the speed of 0 thing. It still grants the character a fly speed and still therefore allows that fly speed to be used on turns other than the character's own. Yes, you've added extra text saying that they resume falling if they leave their square, but I don't see the difference between that and not giving them a fly speed at all and just saying that they resume falling if they're stunned or fall prone just as if they were flying. Besides, I see no reason why the character should fall if they are pushed, pulled, slid or even if they teleport. And the way that this is worded, if they do teleport or are pushed, pulled, or slid and your interpretation is that this does not cause them to fall, then they can now safely be granted movement not on their turn without falling because they will no longer be in the square in which they stopped and can thus cannot leave it.

Glide

Trigger: During your turn, you have a Fly speed less than your highest speed.
This removes falling as a trigger, meaning that the combination of Slow Fall and Glide will arguably allow a character a turn of flight for every 25 feet of descent. Either way, this depends on the whole speed 0 mechanic to function, which I must say that I'm not a fan of.

I renamed Hover just because it might be confused with Fly X (hover) - i.e. players might think they actually have Fly (hover). Just noticed that one.

Fair enough, it was just a working title.

I put in restriction 1/turn, because I am concerned about attempts to chain these powers - especially "Slow Fall" which otherwise could be used repeatedly to prevent reasonable attempts to knock the character out of the sky.

I see no reason at all to do this, and I it feels like a further complicating factor to me. I can imagine no attempt to knock the character out of the sky where being able to use the powers more than once during a turn would be problematic. Can you give me an example? Either way, such attempts would still be fruitful as they would still bring the character closer to the ground. Further, there are plenty of situations where being able to use the powers more than once during a turn sounds totally legitimate to me, and I see no reason to disallow those.

Is there not a way to phrase "Hover" so that Glide could trigger on your own turn due to the state of hovering?

I'm not actually sure what you mean, but it sounds like you're suggesting that the character not start falling again at the start of their turn, and I don't think that's a good idea. It allows for too much air time.

Actually that's how I read your initial "Fall more than 5 squares" combined with "stop at any point during the fall". My reading of that is that I can stop falling on the initial square of a 5 square drop. If that's not what you intend, then there is definitely a clarity issue here. Or a brain issue on my part of course, but I hope I am not so unusual that the feedback is wasted . . . :-)

That function of the power does not trigger unless the character has already fallen 5 squares. You can't stop at a point before you could stop. I should think that this is obvious, but I could always just remove "at any point during the fall". Now that I look at it, it really is just superfluous.

That function of the power does not trigger unless the character has already fallen 5 squares. You can't stop at a point before you could stop. I should think that this is obvious, but I could always just remove "at any point during the fall". Now that I look at it, it really is just superfluous.

I think that my misunderstanding is due to falling treated as an instantaneous and atomic effect. Splitting up the distance "fallen so far" to qualify for the trigger and "remaining fall" for applying the effect line simply didn't occur to me.

Anyway, enough of that. I will try and contribute something more positive to other parts of this thread shortly . . .

Well aside from needing a different bonus for water on the elemental gaurdian feat (what about taking half-damage from oppurtunity attacks?), the glide thing is the only thing in need of critical examination, the rest is pretty much frigging perfect (except for the ability scores, i liked the int-str thing, but that's easy enough to switch back).

I also think you both are making too big a deal out of the start and end phases of the turn because I'm fairly certain you can use powers then. I mean all the saving throw booster powers get rather useless otherwise.

Furthermore The falling rules specifically state that if your turn starts mid-fall you get to take actions before falling again. 
Well aside from needing a different bonus for water on the elemental gaurdian feat (what about taking half-damage from oppurtunity attacks?)...

I really like that as an effect fitting of the Water-Soul in general, but I just realized that feat only grants its benefit while a character is adjacent to an ally, and so granting a bonus versus opportunity attacks makes that sort of weird, and I should even change the Wind-Soul bonus to something else now that I've thought of that. >_<

Hmm, maybe this would be easier if I just changed the power entirely so that it didn't suck anymore.

the glide thing is the only thing in need of critical examination, the rest is pretty much frigging perfect (except for the ability scores, i liked the int-str thing, but that's easy enough to switch back).

Yay! ^_^
I did expect Glide to be the only thing to cause much controversy, but it is still nice to get feedback on the rest.

I also think you both are making too big a deal out of the start and end phases of the turn because I'm fairly certain you can use powers then.

Nope. Unless there's been some update that I'm not aware of, PHB pages 268 and 269 say respectively, and I quote:
"No Actions: You can't take any actions at the start of your turn."
"No Actions: You can't take any actions at the end of your turn."

I mean all the saving throw booster powers get rather useless otherwise.

Most of those are actually either No Action powers or powers that can be used at some other time than the end of your turn and that grant you a benefit that simply applies later on.

Furthermore The falling rules specifically state that if your turn starts mid-fall you get to take actions before falling again. 

Yes, but that only applies if you've fallen 500 feet. Anything less than that is dealt with instantaneously and must be dealt with by this mechanic. It'd be a shame for a glider not to get to glide unless they've already fallen 100 squares. A turn of flight (18 squares on a double run?) for every 100 squares of a fall isn't very good gliding, mechanically or thematically.

hmmmm that's the source of the problem then...

Well the powers are still much less hideously complex than when they started so we've made some progress right?

I mean I can understand and implement the powers as they are now... might be intimidating to newbies though.

Still I think it's fairly clear, it's just one of those powers you put on a printed out card or copy down directly instead of short handing. 
Here's an initial draft of a version of Elemental Guardian that hopefully doesn't totally suck. Tell me what you think:

ELEMENTAL GUARDIAN
Benefit: When you end your turn adjacent to any of your allies or adjacent to any enemy that is adjacent to any of your allies, you and one such ally of your choice gain a benefit until the end of your next turn depending on the element that you are currently manifesting.:
Earth-Soul: You ignore all difficult terrain when you shift. Your ally gains Earth Walk.
Fire-Soul: Your resist fire improved by 2. Your ally gains resist fire 5 or their resist fire improves by 2.
Air-Soul: You and your ally each gain a +2 racial bonus to AC and Reflex against opportunity attacks.
Water-Soul: You gain a +2 racial bonus to saving throws against effects that include ongoing damage. All ongoing damage that your ally takes is halved.

What's weird about this feat is that it needs to be useful on its own but also not too good if you manifest more than one element. Also, the bonuses in question need to make sense with the benefits gotten while manifesting more than one element. For example, I couldn't grant a bonus to the Earth-Soul's Rugged Form or the Air-Soul's Swirling Form because a Genasi manifesting both Earth-Soul and Air-Soul gains neither of those features under this variant.

i think the fire resist boost could stand to be increased
3 then? I just worry that 5 is excessive...

it is a little, but it's a highly situational thing, even more so than the others, furthermore fire monsters are more likely to negate resistance
Or... I could leave it as 5 but not grant an increase to allies. Like this:

ELEMENTAL GUARDIAN
Earth-Soul: You ignore all difficult terrain when you shift. Your ally gains Earth Walk.
Fire-Soul: Your resist fire improved by 5. Your ally gains resist fire 5.
Air-Soul: You and your ally each gain a +2 racial bonus to AC and Reflex against opportunity attacks.
Water-Soul: You gain a +2 racial bonus to saving throws against effects that include ongoing damage. All ongoing damage that your ally takes is halved.

works
So one of my "Characters in Waiting" is a Watersoul Genasi Swordmage. It's interesting to view the re-design looking at whether that class/race combo is still good to go.

He will of course miss the stat bonuses, especially Intelligence. I don't think any player with a Genasi Swordmage in play would be willing to swap in the new design for that reason. If I were considering a Defender from scratch, well personally I don't like Paladins, but there looks to be a very good match there, and I suppose could always re-fluff a lot of the Divine angle. A Fighter build with high Dex (Tempest) or Con (Battlerager) would look good too, especially a character that took some movement-based options.

The changes to rippling form pretty much gel with my character, and look like they'd cover some of the difference - he's a tactical movement specialist, using the racial power along with lots of teleport powers. He also bought the additional energy resistance feat, too. Both of these get a boost in your re-design, making him still a very valid Defender, although he woudl hit a little less often and less hard, he would be more likely to get into position, and able to handle a lot more ongoing damage effects which defenders tend to collect like they were on special offer.

I actually think if a player wanted to keep Str/Int, and still take a Watersoul Genasi Swordmage using your re-design, that this would be a pure power boost, and a bit cheesy. Which is a backhanded way of saying "Yes, it works as is, even for my Swordmage".
He will of course miss the stat bonuses, especially Intelligence. I don't think any player with a Genasi Swordmage in play would be willing to swap in the new design for that reason.

As I mentioned in the design notes, it's perfectly possible to take some portions of the redesign and not others. In fact, I would expect most people even who do decide to take up this variant to keep their old ability score bonuses exactly because their old ability score bonuses are so unique. I mean, they're the only race to get STR/INT and one of only two races to get INT/CON, so I could hardly blame anybody and wouldn't be at all offended. Fortunately, deciding to implement one part of this variant does not require implementing other parts.

If I were considering a Defender from scratch, well personally I don't like Paladins, but there looks to be a very good match there, and I suppose could always re-fluff a lot of the Divine angle. A Fighter build with high Dex (Tempest) or Con (Battlerager) would look good too, especially a character that took some movement-based options.

For a Genasi Defender under this variant, a CON/CHA Battle-Mind would actually work pretty perfectly, now that I think about it.

I actually think if a player wanted to keep Str/Int, and still take a Watersoul Genasi Swordmage using your re-design, that this would be a pure power boost, and a bit cheesy.

While I do agree that it would pretty much be a power boost in the case of the Water-Soul (and honestly a couple of the other manifestations), I'm also of the opinion that the official Water-Soul just isn't very good (and honestly neither are a couple of the other manifestations), so I have no problem with this and don't agree that it would qualify as cheesy. The sad truth is that some races just aren't very powerful, and there's nothing wrong with bringing them up to par or even maybe just a tiny bit past par. You just want the mechanics of your race to back up how thematically awesome it is. ^_~

Really cool stuff! Are you going to try yourself at the other, alternative manifestations too?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/18.jpg)

Once again, I find myself stealing your work. Those at-will powers are perfect for a balanced flying race, so I plan to use them for the Rito in my 4e Zelda campaign. Just thought I'd mention it to you, I'll give credit when I post the finished races.
Yeah CC's work is very yoinkable.
I like what you've done. I noticed a trend in the encounters powers - the characters takes elemental form of air and flies or turns to water and squeezes through a tight space - and thought they would all do well to do that. I don't like that the fire and earth ones are attacks.

Perhaps the fire encounter power is "until the end of your next turn any creatures that enters a square or starts it turn adjacent to you takes X fire damage."

Perhaps the earth one could be like the Goliath's damage reduction.

Another approach would be to assign each one a role - defender striker controller leader - and come with a power that reflects it.

Anyway, I'm not criticizing your work, just throwing in my pennies. Nice work.