CKY's Challenge Contest

229 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Rules
Participation is free and open.
You can drop out or enter between rounds as you like.
Cards should be balanced and in pie.
Your card shouldn't rely on drawing and/or tutoring other cards to fulfil the criteria.
If how your card fulfils the criteria isn't obvious, spell it out in your post.

~Round 1~
Deadline for entries is 15 June.

You're facing down Jace, the insidious mind mage, in a battle of attrition. You are at 1 life and have no cards in hand. Jace is at 7 life and has one card in hand, which you know is Mana Leak. Both of you have no cards in your graveyard.

You control five Plains, two Swamps, and a Skyhunter Skirmisher (which is enchanted with Jace's Gaseous Form). Jace controls five Islands, a Mystifying Maze, a Jace, the Mind Sculptor with five loyalty counters, and two tapped Cloud Sprites.

You have one draw before you concede. Design a single card that is guaranteed to win you the game this turn.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Mana Scourge -
Creature - Leech (R)
When ~ or another creature enters the battlefield, or ~ is put into a graveyard from anywhere, choose a colour. Target opponent loses life equal to the number of mana symbols of that colour amongst the mana costs of permanents he or she controls and creatures you control gain protection from that colour until end of turn.
"Predating at sites of ancient power, the Scourge was long thought to be living off the creatures there. It was soon discovered that it fed off the mana of the place itself." - Fauna of Jund, Ed. IV
4/4

P.S: This Challenge is actually pretty hard to do in a subtle way.
Official Rules Advisor
Matter over Mind
Instant
Target creature you control gets +3/+3 and has protection from permanents your opponents control until the beginning of the next end step.
"When two great minds are at war, the winner is usually the first who abandons all logic."

AHAHAHAHAHA 
I fixed it!
Madness Driven:B::B:
Sorcery
Untap and gain control of target permanent with counters on it until end of turn. When you lose control of it, remove all counters from it and and its controller loses 1 life for each counter removed this way.
When a brilliant mind is lost, anything can happen.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Also, Free-kill, Jace would just mana leak your m'bob.

When ~ or another creature enters the battlefield, or ~ is put into a graveyard from anywhere

Official Rules Advisor

how many of what lands are untapped

i am assuming all untapped but i want to check since the counters on jace suggest he was just summoned leaving the land at 2 insted of 6

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Show
To the window did I flee, chased by the spirits of three, I took out my gun and aimed for his head, Nailed myself to the floor with a bullet insted.

Is there a third player in the game?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
elaborated

Legionnaires' Syphon
Sorcery
Convoke
Target player loses life equal to the combined converted mana cost of 2 target perminants he/she controls.
The one that breathes such foul monstrocities must, in return, suffer their wrath.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Show
To the window did I flee, chased by the spirits of three, I took out my gun and aimed for his head, Nailed myself to the floor with a bullet insted.

i am assuming all untapped but i want to check since the counters on jace suggest he was just summoned leaving the land at 2 insted of 6

He had fatesealed you once unsummoned twice then fatesealed again AND somehow put a way a card you don't need an left you with the winning card.  : P
Don't question the mod, i mean the host.

It's wierd that you want to figure out the board situation before now. So do you need to know the last few cards you recently cast was probably 2 Tormod's Crypt and a despise?

Just for fun. not picking on you. don't be mad XD

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Phobia Swap

Sorcery
Exchange life totals with target player, then they lose X life, then exchange life totals with that player.
"Just a day in my mind, my dear, just the one. You might like it there, you know. You might survive."
Semblance of Purity

Sorcery
If ~ gets countered, target player loses 7 life.
Choose target creature. Destroy all auras and equipment attached to that creature, and it gets +3/+3 and gains shroud until end of turn.
One can become pure of heart only when one forgets their earthly desires - and their free will.
EDIT: Changed the name.
I like Phobia Swap.  It seems really combo-ey.  Almost too easy to break.

Madness Driven is pretty cool too.

Pure Aura seems really powerful, and does quite a lot, but hey, it fits the criteria.

Sorry Free-kill I didn't read it correct the first time.  Mana Scourge also seems really powerful outside of this criterion.  Seems like dredge would just nut their pants (can I say that in these forums?).
nothing about mine?
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Show
Woops.. didnt see yours.  While it does fit the criteria, and I like the use of convoke to get around mana leak, the 2 target permanents seems kind of random.  Not bad though I suppose.

Thats all the judging I'll be doing in a thread thats not mine.. lol.. sorry cky
Shield Pierce
Enchantment - Aura
Kicker
When Shield Pierce enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, tap X target permanents.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has "Whenever damage by this creature would be prevented, it deals double that damage instead." (The damage isn't prevented.)
"When there's no opening, make one."

-Gideon Jura
Decay
Sorcery
Sacrifice all lands you control. Target player loses life equal to the number of lands you sacrificed this way.
When the land dies, all die with it.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
Clarifications:

There are no other players in the game. All permanents I didn't specify as tapped are untapped. 

Embrace imagination.

Bloody Scourge --
Sorcery (U)

Bloody Scourge can't be the target of spells with a converted mana cost less than 3.
Kicker - Sacrifice three lands.
Destroy all nonland, nonartifact permanents.
If  Bloody Scourge was kicked each player loses 2 life for each permanent destroyed this way.

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Prideful AEtherlich
Artifact Creature- Zombie Wizard
When Prideful AEtherlich enters the battlefield, target opponent loses life equal to the total converted mana cost of two permanents they control. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.
2/2
Rather than be humbled by the ferocity of Naya's gargantuan gods, the lich merely saw large, mana filled stepping stones towards further power.
Punish the Unworthy
Sorcery
Choose a color. Target player loses 2 life for each permanent he or she controls of the chosen color.
I like magic almost as much as i like basketball and surviving aids.
I was just about to post mine T_T I'm a sad penguin now. But it's ok. I'll try to make the next one.

Edit: Err.....I'm confused. 
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
~Round 1 Closed~
Because I'm cool like that.

Mana Scourge (DQ'd)
Mana Scourge -
Creature - Leech (R)
When ~ or another creature enters the battlefield, or ~ is put into a graveyard from anywhere, choose a colour. Target opponent loses life equal to the number of mana symbols of that colour amongst the mana costs of permanents he or she controls and creatures you control gain protection from that colour until end of turn.
"Predating at sites of ancient power, the Scourge was long thought to be living off the creatures there. It was soon discovered that it fed off the mana of the place itself." - Fauna of Jund, Ed. IV
4/4

Disqualified because this doesn't actually win the game. Jace can always opt not to counter it, going to 2 life, then use Mystifying Maze to stop the Skyhunter Skirmisher's attack. The card itself is horribly overpowered in Dredge, but I liked the flavor.
Matter over Mind (8/10)
Matter over Mind
Instant
Target creature you control gets +3/+3 and has protection from permanents your opponents control until the beginning of the next end step.
"When two great minds are at war, the winner is usually the first who abandons all logic."

...Flavor text makes no sense. I like this because it doesn't seem like it was specifically created to win the scenario and could fit into any number of white decks. Could be a sorcery.
Madness Driven (8/10)
Madness Driven:B::B:
Sorcery
Untap and gain control of target permanent with counters on it until end of turn. When you lose control of it, remove all counters from it and and its controller loses 1 life for each counter removed this way.
When a brilliant mind is lost, anything can happen.

While I thought someone would try to abuse the JTMS on the battlefield, I didn't think it would come in this form. It is a pretty awesome planeswalker-hosing card. However, the flavor doesn't really justify the mechanics and this is a pretty weird card, so it gets a decent score.
Legionnaires' Syphon (9/10)
Legionnaires' Syphon
Sorcery
Convoke
Target player loses life equal to the combined converted mana cost of 2 target perminants he/she controls.
The one that breathes such foul monstrocities must, in return, suffer their wrath.

Lovely. I don't think I have seen this mechanic before, and the use of convoke to get around the Mana Leak is genius.
Phobia Swap (DQ'd)
Phobia Swap

Sorcery
Exchange life totals with target player, then they lose X life, then exchange life totals with that player.
"Just a day in my mind, my dear, just the one. You might like it there, you know. You might survive."

Wacky, with great flavor. This doesn't actually win you the game, however, because state-based actions aren't checked in the middle of a spell's resolution.
Semblance of Purity (4/10)
Semblance of Purity 
Sorcery
If ~ gets countered, target player loses 7 life.
Choose target creature. Destroy all auras and equipment attached to that creature, and it gets +3/+3 and gains shroud until end of turn.
One can become pure of heart only when one forgets their earthly desires - and their free will.
EDIT: Changed the name.

Wha..? This seems like a brute-force answer that makes no sense in white and is horribly underpowered in most cases. It solves the challenge, but with no finesse.
Shield Pierce (8/10)
Shield Pierce
Enchantment - Aura
Kicker
When Shield Pierce enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, tap X target permanents.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has "Whenever damage by this creature would be prevented, it deals double that damage instead." (The damage isn't prevented.)
"When there's no opening, make one."

-Gideon Jura

The flavor basis is great, possibly the best justification in this round so far. I like the kicker that taps down the Mystifying Maze, but I'm not so hot about the anti-damage-prevention clause (which doesn't seem white at all).
Decay (9/10)
Decay 
Sorcery
Sacrifice all lands you control. Target player loses life equal to the number of lands you sacrificed this way.
When the land dies, all die with it.

Beautiful elegance – it could be a core-set card. I have no beefs with the mechanics, but it seems a little too powerful and swingy for its cost. Compare Lava Axe or Corrupt.
Bloody Scourge (DQ'd)
Bloody Scourge --
Sorcery (U)
Bloody Scourge can't be the target of spells with a converted mana cost less than 3.
Kicker - Sacrifice a creature.
Destroy all nonland, nonartifact permanents.
If  Bloody Scourge was kicked each player loses 2 life for each permanent destroyed this way.

Doesn't win the game, because the Skyhunter Skirmisher and Gaseous Form will be put into the graveyard before this resolves, and then it'll cause each player to lose 6 life – in other words, Jace will hang on at 1 and you'll lose. On top of that, this card is too harsh a board wipe and the anti-Mana Leak clause is just clunky.
Prideful Ætherlich (7/10)
Prideful AEtherlich
Artifact Creature- Zombie Wizard
When Prideful AEtherlich enters the battlefield, target opponent loses life equal to the total converted mana cost of two permanents they control. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.
2/2
Rather than be humbled by the ferocity of Naya's gargantuan gods, the lich merely saw large, mana filled stepping stones towards further power.

Fantastic flavor. Unfortunately, this card is ridiculously unbalanced and swingy for a four-drop and can easily cause Corrupt levels of life loss, so I'm really hesitant to give this a high score.
Punish the Unworthy (9/10)
Punish the Unworthy
Sorcery
Choose a color. Target player loses 2 life for each permanent he or she controls of the chosen color.

Fantastic. Easily the most evocative and printable out of all the submissions. The name is off, however, and once again the potential life loss is a bit too massive for four mana.

Legionnaires' Syphon, Decay and Punish the Unworthy share the win for creativity and elegance in solving the given challenge.

My personal entry
Blades of Arrogance

Sorcery

Target creature gets +3/+1 and gains protection from nonwhite nonblack until end of turn. (It can't be blocked, targeted, dealt damage or enchanted by anything that isn't white or black.)

"If you are not with me, then you are below me, and I am above dealing with you."

Embrace imagination.

I'ma post mine just because I liked it =3 You don't have to score it.....

Grow Towards Death

Sorcery

Proliferate twice, then each player loses life equal to the number of counters on permanents they control.

They grew larger and larger, until they vanished completely...
I like Grow Towards Death. Would probably have tied with the winners.

~Round 2~
Ends whenever I feel like it.

You have encountered a malevolent time elemental, which has lured you into an eternal time loop. You are at 3 life and the elemental is at 10. Both players have no cards in hand, while your graveyards are irrelevant to this scenario.

You control three Mountains, a Volcanic Island and two Goblin Pikers, as well as a Shrine of Burning Rage with four charge counters on it. The time elemental controls two tapped Islands, four tapped Plains, a Coretapper (which is enchanted with Freed from the Real and Indestructibility), a Wall of Omens, a Magistrate's Scepter (which is enchanted with Indestructibility) and Privileged Position.

If undisrupted, the time elemental has the ability to take infinite turns. On each of its turns, it can activate the Coretapper's ability three times by untapping it twice with Freed from the Real, so that it can put three charge counters on the Magistrate's Scepter. It can also use the Scepter's ability in case the Coretapper is destroyed. From there, it can use the singleton Emrakul, the Aeons Torn in its deck to stall out the game until you are completely milled out.

As you untap, you know you have only one more draw before the time elemental's combo can go off. Design a card that somehow disrupts the combo or wins the game.

Embrace imagination.

Extrapolation Trap
Instant - Trap
If 2 or more counters where placed on an opponent's artifact this turn you may pay insted of ~ manacost.
Double the number of counters on target artifact. Until end of turn, if a spell or activated ability would put a counter on an artifact, insted put 2 charge counters on target artifact.
In order to keep up with the demand for power, the elders have learned to absorb power from many sources.

Pass the turn disrupt the combo on the third conter. your turn untap, use land to tap and sac the shrine ftw

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Show
Peasant's Monolith |
Artifact
Whenever a player activates an ability, if it's not the first time that ability has been activated this turn, that player loses 2 life.
"Greed will be punished."
-Monolith inscription
Copperslick Gleam
Instant
Affinity for Mountains
Affinity for Islands
If you spent to cast Copperslick Gleam, creatures you control get +1/+0 and are unblockable until end of turn. If you spent to cast Copperslick Gleam, creatures you control get +2/+0 and have haste until end of turn. (Do both if you spent to cast Copperslick Gleam)
Where the ingenuity of the blue sun meets the madness of the red

Mystical Feedback
Instant
Each artifact and enchantment deals 2 damage to its controller.
Powerful magic never comes without consequences.

I AM LAZY SO ALL I DID WAS SLIGHTLY MODIFY AURA BARBS.
Winds of Devastation -
Sorcery
Convoke
As an additional cost to cast ~ Sacrifice all permanents you control.
Target player sacrifices all permanents they control and take X damage, where X is the number of permants sacrificed this way.
“It is in these winds that the seeds of joy are forever wasted, until men and women look round with haggard faces at the devastation where all they owned was now gone, and say, 'the earth bears no harvest of sweetness' and succumb to their denial of reality.” ~ Prophecy of the wandering monk.
Winds of Devastation -

How are you supposed to cast this? Even with convoke, you're still short.
Winds of Devastation -

How are you supposed to cast this? Even with convoke, you're still short.

oops 1 mana to much ty for heads up
Bonds of Inertia
Enchantment
Whenever a nonland permanent untaps, CARDNAME deals 2 damage to its controller.
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
Growing Volcano Enchantment At the beginning of each player's upkeep, put a magma counter on CARDNAME and CARDNAME deals damage equal to the number of magma counters on it to that player.

Something seems similar
Growing Volcano Enchantment At the beginning of each player's upkeep, put a magma counter on CARDNAME and CARDNAME deals damage equal to the number of magma counters on it to that player.

Something seems similar

Changed it.
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
Devastating Flameviper
Creature - Elemental Snake
Trample, Haste

Devour 4 (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with four times that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
At the beginning of the end step or when Devestating Flameviper has power 11 or greater, sacrifice Devastating Flameviper.

2/2

...forgot that the shrine needed three mana to activate, doi.

Overcharge Unleash
Sorcery
Proliferate, then double the number of counters on target permanent. You may activate one of it's activated abilities without paying it's mana cost.
"According to my calculations, if we re-route this cable here to the input valve and this coil to the sensor, we make big boom."
-Gorak, Goblin Alchemist

Quicksilver Mirror -
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent places a charge counter on a permanent he or she controls, you may place a charge counter on a permanent you control.

I assume since this is simpler than my previous entry that I don't need to explain it, though I'd like not to be wrongly disqualified again...

Show

You said Mana Scourge could just not be countered and he'd simply Mystifying Maze the Skyhunter. However he would still die from the EtB trigger when it comes back.

Official Rules Advisor
Ah, that makes sense. I'd have given you a 6/10 for good flavor, but weird mechanics and terrible balancing.

Embrace imagination.

Ah, that makes sense. I'd have given you a 6/10 for good flavor, but weird mechanics and terrible balancing.

Lol fair enough.
Official Rules Advisor
Call of the Ebon Tower - :2mana::B::B:
Sorcery
Target player discards a card, then loses life equal to 7 minus their hand.
There has always been a war between them. It's just that most casual observers wind up dead.

IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Flawed Design

Enchantment - Aura

Enchant Artifact

Enchanted permanent loses all abilities.

I think the first mistake you made was trying to do something right.
How did AnubisDread's Shield pierce in Round 1 not get dq? Did i miss something?

He can tap at most 1 permanent without being leaked and there are 2 blockers + maze?

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]