Upcoming new legends in Commander : backstories needed !

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello Vorthoses !

I have been discovering with pleasure the new legendary creatures of the upcoming Commander set, and I must say there are some really flavorful, interesting legends there. The only thing I'm not sure to like is the seemingly complete absence of any backstory for the new legends. Do you know where one can find something about people like Zedruu the Greathearted or Kaalia of the Vast ?
I hope there will be something ; if not, those will become still another bunch of "filler" legends without any background. Not that they're not already flavorful as individual cards (there is some good job in there, one more time), but it would be frustrating. Just a little paragraph for each, indicating what plane they come from and at what time they lived, or even some supplementary anecdote about them, would not be that huge a work.

...aaand, if there's nothing like this, of course, let's do it ourselves ! What are your thoughts about your favorite new legend in Commander ? Where and when do you think they are from ? Some are quite easy to tell - Riku of Two Reflections obviously sounds and looks like he's from Kamigawa - but others are much more enigmatic. Some probably come from still unexplored or lesser-known planes.

Here are some thoughts to start with :
Riku of Two Reflections : Kamigawa, obviously. Probably a wizard from the Minamo school.
Ghave, Guru of Spores : I'd say Dominaria, at the time of the Time Spiral block (or maybe even in present time, since there well may still exist some fungi in Dominarian forests, for all we know...).
Zedruu the Greathearted : I'd say Dominaria, either from Djamuraa or Otaria. Plus, I love him. I do. Kudos to WotC for this one.
Edric, Spymaster of Trest : too generic to tell easily. Dominaria ? Ravnica ? Or why not Kephalai ?
Nin, the Pain Artist : well, sounds a lot like New Phyrexia.
Ruhan of the Fomori : now this one's really interesting. Remember Future Sight's Fomori nomad ? Maybe they're from Immersturm ?
Basandra, Battle Seraph : tough to say. She reminds me a bit of Ravnica's Boros archangels, but the angel/demon cards are generally too generic for me to tell where they come from precisely. She could as well be Dominarian.
Animar, Soul of Elements : um... maybe Lorwyn ?
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave : don't really know... the art makes me think about Shadowmoor, but there are zombies and elementals in a lot of planes.
Karador, Ghost Chieftain : uuh... so... generic... maybe Dominaria, from Otaria ?
Kaalia of the Vast : ...no idea.
The Mimeoplasm : ...no idea.
Well, and there are more, but I don't want to speculate about all of them myself. What about you ? What do you think ?
"They return. They always return, when I lose everything." - Karn, about the Phyrexians
The Mimeoplasm is obviously a joint Simic/Golgari experiment gone horribly wrong, or horribly right.

Zedruu the Greathearted : I'd say Dominaria, either from Djamuraa or Otaria. Plus, I love him. I do. Kudos to WotC for this one.

Just pointing out that Zedruu is a she.

I don't think so, while she does have the 4-armed mirrodin-Vedalken thing going on, she doesn't appear to have any mechanical augmentations at all. I'm guessing she'll be from an as yet unknown plane (Since the only other plane we know of with Vedalken they have 2 arms).

Ruhan of the Fomori : now this one's really interesting. Remember Future Sight's Fomori nomad ? Maybe they're from Immersturm ?

I believe I recall reading that Fomori are from Ir

Seems reasonable. The non-Flamekin elementals in Lorwyn tended to represent more abstract things or ideas, so a physical embodiment of the elements could easily fit.

Skullbriar, the Walking Grave : don't really know... the art makes me think about Shadowmoor, but there are zombies and elementals in a lot of planes.

I'm kinda leaning towards Ravnica for this. It fits Golgari pretty well.
Guild banners by Blitzschnell, click the banner to get your own.

'Zedruu' looks like an Ulgrothan name. Compare Sandruu, an Ulgrothan minotaur planeswalker. I would guess that Zedruu is an Anaba.

Edric, Spymaster of Trest :
too generic to tell easily. Dominaria ? Ravnica ? Or why not Kephalai ?

If he wasn't an elf, I'd be inclined to say Bant, but that option is out. He's not Ravnican: look out the window. You can see green hills in the distance. Dominaria seems the most likely, but he doesn't seem to look like he belongs in any known Dominarian elven nation. Whatever he was originally, my guess is that he left elven lands.

Etymology gives a clue as well. 'Edric' is not an elven name, and we can make guesses about the country 'Trest' is in.

I'm going to throw out a wild guess and say Benalia, or possibly the Spice Isles nearby. Something about the scenery out the window on his card reminds me of Coastal Tower, and I can buy 'Edric' as a Benalish name.

Basandra, Battle Seraph :
tough to say. She reminds me a bit of Ravnica's Boros archangels, but the angel/demon cards are generally too generic for me to tell where they come from precisely. She could as well be Dominarian.

Flavour text doesn't look Boros. Boros are all about inspiring people, not whipping them onwards.

Karador, Ghost Chieftain :
uuh... so... generic... maybe Dominaria, from Otaria ?

Aw, Phantom Centaur is all grown up. I'd go with Otaria as well. Not a lot of centaurs in M:tG, actually.
The Mimeoplasm: I see floating land in the back; that looks Zendikar for me.
[<o>]
I really, really hope each of these gets a short story, a blurb, or at least the name of their homeworld and country.

The fomori guy Ruhan is clearly from Ir. He looks very much like Fomori Nomad and is illustrated by the same artist as that and Turri Island.

Other than that, I have absolutely no clue where they're from.

It would be super cool if Zedruu was Anaba, but she doesn't look like the female Anaba art we have from Homelands; her horns and neck are wrong. Nor does she resemble the Ordruun Commando from Ravnica, and the landscape behind her can't be Ravnica. So I'd say her name, like "Ordruun," is just a sort of vague homage to Sandruu's name.

Animar doesn't seem similar to Lorwyn's greater elementals to me. He's more a Dominaria or Zendikar kind of elemental, but he could be from any sort of plane.

Karador could be Dominarian -- so far that's the only plane with horned/antlered centaurs.

Personally, I hope these some of these are from Dominaria and other known planes, but that most are juicy glimpses into the worlds of Planechase and Future Sight.
Please note: unless I'm trying to be sarcastic or humorous, most of my posts are very literal. Don't try to "read between the lines" because there is usually nothing there. I try not to imply anything when I write.
Kamigawa-esque short stories for the various new Legends in the Commander sets would be totally awesome.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Actually, over at the Magic: Expanded Multiverse we've been cooking up a story challenge similar to the Mirran Wars challenge, based on these legends. So stay tuned for that.

I'm also inclined to think that Zedruu comes from Ulgrotha. The art for that block was created a looong time ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the designs for some of the minotaurs had changed. (Compare: Mirrodin goblins)
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Many of them are quoted in flavortexts of the new cards so hopefully we'll get a bit of insight once we start going over all the cards after they are released.  I think compliling all of them might help.

Great idea, btw, to start getting some of their stories.  These new guys are definitely interesting. 
Actually, over at the Magic: Expanded Multiverse we've been cooking up a story challenge similar to the Mirran Wars challenge, based on these legends. So stay tuned for that.

I'm also inclined to think that Zedruu comes from Ulgrotha. The art for that block was created a looong time ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the designs for some of the minotaurs had changed. (Compare: Mirrodin goblins)

See, THIS is why I told you guys to start thinking about them again. So we could have avoided this snafu.
Here's a story I've written on Ruhan. It needs some heavy editing, but I liked the concept.

A Summoned Ally
When the strange man appeared at the base of Turri’s cliffs, the island’s sentries sounded the alarm. Responding to the call, dozens of giants ran to the edge of the precipice. They gnashed their teeth, shook their white manes, and struck the ground with arms the size of tree trunks. At first, they were confused; there was no ship miles away to throw boulders at, no obvious target. But then they looked down and saw the huddled shape pressed against slippery rocks. With a bellow of rage, the Fomori attacked.

Stones the size of an ox bounced around the Planeswalker, missing him only due to the curvature of the cliff. One particularly large boulder shattered above him, spraying the unfortunate climber with rock shards. Still, he did not loosen his hold. Instead, he whispered an incantation beneath his breath and began climbing.

When the next megalith struck the man, it bounced off as if it were made of rubber. The one after that had no effect either. He was beginning to make progress, his hands sticking to the stone easily. The Fomori giants, undeterred by his defense, continued to pelt him with projectiles. When those did not work, they pounded the cliff and attempted to throw him loose, yet he stuck there like a spider. 

Finally, with one last handhold, the Planeswalker reached the top of the cliff. Smiling broadly, he stumbled up to his feet and looked at the gathered giants around him. They regarded him silently. Clearing his throat, the mage asked…

“Who is your strongest?” The sentinels did not respond, so the mage asked again. “Who is your strongest?” He pointed at the cliffside. “I have taken the challenge of Turri. While many of my kind would prefer the aid of one of your great baloths or dragons, I decided to enlist the help of one of you. The Fomori are the greatest fighters among giants, yes? I want one of you to fight for me.” There was a rumble around him as the surrounding crowd whispered to each other.

Finally, one of the giants plodded forward to stand in front of the Planeswalker. The traveler looked up and down at the giant, appraising his size. He was half again as high as most of the others, and horns were massive and cracked with age. Clearly, he was a great warrior.

“I suppose you’ll do,” said the man. The selected giant shook his head and cleared his throat. The sound resembled a galeforce wind. “We will bring you to Ruhan.” The assembled Fomori all nodded among themselves and said that name again. “Ruhan.”

--------------------

They lead the traveler into the massive fortress in the middle of the island. They wrenched open the huge stone double doors to allow his passage. They lit the torches on the walls to light his way. And then they reached Ruhan’s chamber, the largest in the fortress yet.

The Planeswalker’s jaw dropped. The beast before him was larger than any other he had seen, almost twice the size of any of the other Fomori. He sat on a throne carved out of the rock wall, still except for his breathing. Ruhan’s white fur was crisscrossed with blue and red tattoos, the reminders of long fought battles, and his horns were topped with barbed steel sheathes. At his side was a huge spiked club, stained with the blood of a thousand battles.

“Magnificent.” The Planeswalker repeated the word in awe. “Magnificent.” He pointed at Ruhan’s face, although he had to raise his arm to do so. “From this day forth, you will serve me. My name is Belshek, Ruhan, and you will be my weapon. Whenever I summon you, you will fight. And before you think yourself clever,” added the man slyly, “You will also never harm me in any matter. Do you agree to those terms?” The giant merely stared at him. Belshek shivered.

“Again, do you agree to those terms?” Ruhan nodded slowly.  The man breathed a sigh of relief and then said, “These words are binding. Remember that.” He turned around and began to walk away when he heard a deep voice behind him. 

“Do not take me for an oathbreaker, but do not take me for a fool either.” The voice was the eruption of a volcano, the wind on the plains, and the sound of the sea crashing against Turri’s coast. The hairs on the back of Belshek’s neck prickled at the mere sound of it. “I will not harm you. I will fight whenever I am summoned.” A tinge of menace entered the tone. “But you had best be wary, Planeswalker.”

Without another word, Belshek vanished, leaving nothing but a few motes of dust.

--------------------------

“And you’ll pay up?” said Belshek. He gestured to the beautiful green gem that sat on a purple cushion in front of him. The man holding it smiled and nodded, shaking his large jowls. “Good, the Gruul dirtbags will not trouble your enterprise.” The Orzhov pontiff bowed deeply and retreated back into the comfort of his pleasure room, carrying away with him the mox.

Belshek walked out onto the balcony. Twilight shone over Ravnica, reflecting orange light on the myriad windows of the towers and spires. The streets below were beginning to empty, filing into homes. All that were left were the guildless dregs, shambling around and occasionally calling out for help or charity.

This world was one of Belshek’s favorites for business. There was always a deal to be struck, a treasure to be traded. Sir Venticus IV of the Clergy had recently lost an entire gold cache to a Gruul ambush. The raiders had stolen nothing; they instead smashed the carriage and scattered its gold contents into the sewer openings. What a waste, thought Belshek sadly. This morning, the pontiff received an ultimatum; shut down his services, or face the wrath of the Scab Clan this night. Luckily, Sir Venticus now had a very powerful ally to help… For a price.

Belshek whispered an incantation on the wind, bringing to his mind the rocky fortress of Turri, and the sea, and the emptier expanses dotted with Fomori lean-tos and tents. Those memories, while brief and non-developed, still invoked the remembrance of something far greater. With a roar of power, a hole ripped open in the wide street. Without a word, Belshek quickly ran down the stairs, panting as he stepped out into the moonlight.

Ruhan stood where the portal had once been. He eyed his surroundings thoughtfully and casually balanced his club across his shoulder as if it weighted less than a child’s walking stick. There was little room for the Fomorian giant to even turn around; he looked like a great child standing among toys. When he looked down at Belshek, the giant’s face was impassive.

“You summoned me,” said Ruhan. The simple statement was whispered, yet the vibrations shook the Planeswalker’s bones. The smaller man nodded numbly, trying to ignore the giant’s gaze.

“Yes.” Belshek took a deep breath to calm his nerves. “The Gruul war clans are probably going to strike tonight. We need you to fight them. Got it?” The giant nodded and sat on his haunches, keeping watch. Belshek felt uneasy. “You won’t fall asleep, will you?” Ruhan laughed, and his chuckles made Belshek cower.

“My purpose is war. Why would I sleep at the thought of battle?”

---------

The Gruul attacked late at night. Belshek awoke from his dream gasping and covered in sweat. He could hear the roars and screams only distantly, his grogginess shrouding him. The Planeswalker threw on his tunic and stumbled down the stairs.

What he saw shocked him. There were the Gruul goblins and berserkers, ripping apart bannisters and tearing open coffers. A few swung from the golden chandelier, screeching warcries and smashing the glass bulbs that held its candles.

In their midst stood a massive shape, shaking mane of white hair and wielding a titanic club. For a moment, Belshek hoped that Ruhan was about to dispatch the savages. Then the weapon came down upon the safe door, shattering it. The eager Gruul warriors spilled in and began looting the gold stored within. One of them lifted a glittering green gem above his head and then threw it at the ground. Seeing the mox being tarnished, Belshek snapped.

Howling with rage, the Planeswalker conjured up a blast of black energy and hurled it at Ruhan; the attack fizzled and barely marked his thick hide. Sir Venticus IV of the Clergy was hoisted down the stairs, screaming as he tried to wriggle free of his assailants. Belshek slammed them with more black scars, but he didn't dare risk attacking the ones close to his employer. One of the goblins lifted a cleaver above his head and swung it down, spilling the pontiff’s blood and ending his cries swiftly. Another tore at his clothes, ripping the fine golden garments to shreds.

Soon, the Gruul grew tired and pulled out. The last one to leave, the savage who had killed Belshek’s client, turned to Ruhan and gave a gruff thanks. The giant nodded in response.

The only ones left were Belshek and Ruhan. The Planeswalker lowered his head, not looking his servant in the eyes.

“How could you?” Belshek’s voice quivered. “We had an agreement. We had an agreement.”

“Yes. The agreement was for me to fight and to never harm you. But there was nothing in it about protecting riches or those who grow fat on them.” Ruhan smiled. “I do not keep friends or enemies. There is no point to fighting alongside someone who will use you and stab you in the back, or against someone who is fighting for a cause as just as your own. I fight for one thing: The purity of combat.” Ruhan raised his club. "And frankly, I would rather you unsummoned me before I do some more real damage to this city."

“You are dismissed.” And with that, Belshek was alone.

See, THIS is why I told you guys to start thinking about them again. So we could have avoided this snafu.

Hey, I started thinking about it! I was just expecting to have to wait for Wizards to give us some information.

...And then I discovered that instead of writing a flavor column, Beyer now writes a generic "LOOK AT THESE COOL ABILITEHS GUYZ" column. So, yeah, guessing we're not getting much info on these guys, if any. Which makes my seemingly reasonable strategy of waiting now seem totally stupid.

...I miss Matt Cavotta. I really, really do.

Uuugh, need sleep. I'll read Helliord's story in the morning. It looks awesome so far, though.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.

I am absolutely nowhere near a writer.  I'm not creative even in the least.  I do have some notes on Kaalia of the Vast and where her intimate knowledge of Demons, Dragons and Angels comes from.  Probably bad, and probably very cliche ... I just find it interesting how someone would be in contact with these separate beings.

I'll post them here and maybe one of you talented folks could flesh it out into some semblence of a story?

Kaalia character notes
She was a regular human, living like most do a fairly normal life.  She lived near enough to the dragon realm to have learned enough about them to stay away, as most do.
After her death, she was chosen to ascend to Angel.  Her second life was to be a long one, and she felt honored to be chosen.  
She fought in the great Angel War, a terrible ordeal that lasted 56 years.  A small group of angels known as the Firsts hoped to increase their power.  A Civil War followed and nearly tore the heavens apart.  It was less than 5 years into it when the Demons struck.  They attacked with little warning, and it looked like their goal was complete domination of the Angels.  The Civil War was over, and the Angels were forced to reunite to defeat the incoming attackers.
Kaalia fought hard and she studied her enemy.  After so many decades of War, she learned that Demons were not too different from Angels.  These were normal dwellers of her world whose second life was chosen for them.  If her life had gone much different, she could have ended up as one.  She was fortunate, she knew.  A sort of ... well, not respect, but an understanding developed.
Unfortunately, it wasn't long before Kaalia discovered that it was a small group of the FIRSTS who tipped off the Demons to the trouble in the heavens.   They had hoped to unite the Angels, end the war, and continue to grow their power and influence by having a single common enemy.  Well, it worked.  Except now Kaalia knew.
And for that she was exiled.  She didn't become her vengeful self simply for her exile, though.  No.  Part of her was glad for it.  She knew that the long lives of Angels caused many to become selfish and power hungry.  She didn't want to live among that crowd anyway.  She returned to the plane, gave up her Angel wings, and became human.
She met a man, fell in love, had a small family, and was content.  Thats when her old life came back on her.  The Angel War spilled onto the plane and wreaked havok.  Her town was destroyed including her family.  This is when things got ugly.
Armed with a unique knowledge of Angels and Demons and enough information about Dragons, she turned her revenge onto those who caused her such pain.  She is now going after the Firsts, and she won't stop until they are smashed.

Go for it, mellojoe. Its always good to have more information on character motivations, even speculative.
Animar is very much from post-Eldrazi Zendikar, when some of the aroused tectonic magics have now stabilized apart from the land to become multicolor elementals.

Zedruu is a goat.

Edric doesn't seem very Benalish to me, considering his color context.  Someone raised in Benalia from birth/childhood would be at least part-white, amirite?  Benalish elf says G/W.  And I'm pretty sure Trest is not in Benalia.

Aarrgh, he just hit me in the nards with a TV DINNER! -actual phone conversation
122343719 wrote:
I can't really understand people that just go along with the school, job, marrige, kids type goals in life because that is what they think is right. If people want those things they should want them because it makes them happy. I had an ex like that, she wanted those things because her family and her peers all wanted those things. Thinking for yourself is one of the greatest things you are capable of.
500th post- 3/15/11 1000th post- 4/7/12
Zedruu is a goat.

Actually, one thing has been bothering me.

Zedruu is female. But Zedruu has horns.

Minotaurs are half-cow, correct? Female cows do not have horns. Zedruu actually looks a bit more like a goat, as you point out, but again: female goats do not have horns. So why does Zedruu have horns, if Zedruu is female?

Edric doesn't seem very Benalish to me, considering his color context.  Someone raised in Benalia from birth/childhood would be at least part-white, amirite?  Benalish elf says G/W.  And I'm pretty sure Trest is not in Benalia.

Where is Trest, then?

I'm not saying I think it's true. It's just the best guess I have at the moment.
1. Zedruu is more of a gazelle/antelope given the style of horns.

2. Female goats, and I think cows, can occasionally have horns.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Zendruu is most defenitely a species of antelope, and some species of female antelopes have horns.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
I believe she is a Common Eland, both genders have horns, and the style of horns(twisted) is cosistant with her art, as is the skin fold at the neck.
Guild banners by Blitzschnell, click the banner to get your own.
Honestly I thought the legends introduced with Commander, as cards, were mostly really unimpressive. Almost none of them excite me. I really only see myself using Damia and Edric in a deck.

From a flavor standpoint, it's a completely different story. I'm really interested in Skullbriar. What the hell is he/it? Where did he come from? What's his story? His artwork is badass, and I wish his card was a little more impressive. Animar is interesting too, as are Damia, Edric, Ghave, and the Mimeoplasm. The rest inspire feelings of "meh".
Ready for a shameless self-promotion? Cause here it comes!

Last week I wrote up a paragraph or two on many of the legends where I brainstormed what plane they're from (mostly I worked in very broad strokes) A few of them I put on a shared new (nameless) plane, and I actually used Muraganda for two of them - you get a cookie if you can think of which two BEFORE looking at my blog!

Anyway, this should bring you to the relevant posts - I'm thinking of doing some more stuff about it once the decks are released.
Micorku's World Bits - A Vorthos writing about various creative topics. Updates sporadically Iroas - The world needs heroes - will you answer the call? There is also an RPG that is in Pre-Alpha stage.
Does anyone know if there will be info on these guys in the actual decks? That's another thing I was kinda waiting to see...
If I had a damn job I'd have already bought both Devour for Power and Mirror Mastery already. But I'm flat broke. I really hope they give us some information on them. They gave us at least a glimpse at all the planes that came with Planechase when that came out, right? It only seems fair that they should do the same thing with Commander.
Does anyone know if there will be info on these guys in the actual decks? That's another thing I was kinda waiting to see...

I'll let you know saturday when I buy one.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project

I'll let you know saturday when I buy one.

I'll let you know in 20 hours when I buy three of them. (Animar/Riku/Edric, Kaalia/Tariel/Basandra, & Mimeoplasm/Damia/Skullbriar)
"There are probably seven persons, in all, who really like my work; and they are enough. I should write even if I were the only patient reader, for my aim is merely self-expression." ~H.P. Lovecraft

My Colors Are Green and Blue I value respect, honesty, acceptance, and trust. I love to tell stories and to experience new things. At my best, I am compassionate and creative. At my worst, I am detached and submissive. My enemies are Black and White.

Direct from Wizards, on the insert in the deckbox:

Little is known about the bizarre entity that crawls the world of Murganda.  The fang druids call it The Mimeoplasm, as it absorbs the traits of anything it engulfs.  The saurid warrios of the south seek out the Mimeoplasm wherever it roams, believeing it to be the key to a mysterious afterlife, hoping to see in it traces of their fallen loved ones.  The elves of the tropics believe it to be part of nature's cycle, a way to channel death back into life.  The scarwitches hiss when it approaches, seeing it as the ultimate enemy of the world.  Whether it's a natural process or a malevolent force, The Mimeoplasm never fails to command respect.

Damia, Sage of Stone
Thanks to their petrifying gaze, gorgons make few allies.   But many seek out the gorgon sage Damia, whose breadth of magical knowledge rivals that of any archmage -- and whose prices cut deep.  Many have thought of forcing secrets out of her; her statuary is littered with the stone forms of those who've tried.

Skullbriar, the Walking Grave
The undead monstrosity known as Skullbriar was formed when a necromancer and an elementalist entered into a grimp pact.  The mages wove their magics together in an overgrown cemetery, thinking it would bring them eternal life.  Instead it fused them together into Skullbriar, the relentless, restless elemental of death. 
HA! I was right about The Mimeoplasm!
Micorku's World Bits - A Vorthos writing about various creative topics. Updates sporadically Iroas - The world needs heroes - will you answer the call? There is also an RPG that is in Pre-Alpha stage.
in case anybody is still reading

Zedruu the Greathearted was born into a warrior family, lithe and combative like her father, but her path led her away from war.  When she was young, a plague cursed her Erlundi people, leaving a wake of death.  She learned painfully that not every fight can be won by the sword.  In desperation, she offered her life in exchange for her people's, and thanks to her willing sacrifice, the curse was broken.  Now she is revered among her people for her patience, benevolence, and hard-won wisdom.

(PS:  apparently Zedruu is an Eland.  Google it.) 

Ruhan of the Fomori
Ruhan defies every rule, every expectation, every stricture meant to hold him.  He was born blind, but chose a life of war.  He was trained by famed Fomori swordmasters, but chose his own deadly great-mace.  His elders form alliances, but his allegiance is to none but his own whim.

Nin, the Pain Artist
Despite her famed career, Nin does not see herself as a torturer.  Nin seeks to awaken a deeper consciousness within her "clients" by exploring their personal limits.  She believes every nerve ending is a pathway to self-knowledge. 
in case anybody is still reading

I am, what about Kaalia etc?

Oh man oh man oh man!

We finally get to find out more about Muraganda! :D This is awesome!

Too bad a lot of the others are kinda vague.

Who is in favor of retconning the Garruk comic to include Damia? ;)

Nin sounds incredibly interesting as a character, and it's cool to see the sort of far extreme of BDSM culture portrayed in a way that isn't just "BLAAH Rakdos Crazy! Burn Everything! Blood Orgy! Bahahaha!" ...Also, is it possible that her name is a reference to Nine Inch Nails? I mean, the name often is just acronym'd...

Thanks, mellojoe, for sharing!

Riku of Two Reflections : Kamigawa, obviously. Probably a wizard from the Minamo school.
Ghave, Guru of Spores : I'd say Dominaria, at the time of the Time Spiral block (or maybe even in present time, since there well may still exist some fungi in Dominarian forests, for all we know...).
Edric, Spymaster of Trest : too generic to tell easily. Dominaria ? Ravnica ? Or why not Kephalai ?
Basandra, Battle Seraph : tough to say. She reminds me a bit of Ravnica's Boros archangels, but the angel/demon cards are generally too generic for me to tell where they come from precisely. She could as well be Dominarian.
Karador, Ghost Chieftain : uuh... so... generic... maybe Dominaria, from Otaria ?
Kaalia of the Vast : ...no idea.
The Mimeoplasm : ...no idea.
Well, and there are more, but I don't want to speculate about all of them myself. What about you ? What do you think ?

Zedruu is physically similar to the Anaba (see homelands art) minotaurs of Ulgrotha.  It is probable she originates from that plane.  Don;t know if her little blurb contradicts this.

Edric is clearly from wherever "Trest" is.  That might be a plane, but its more likely a country, and one we haven't heard of.

Nin isn't phyrexianized.  also, Art, which she represents, is so very un-phyrexian.  If I had to take bets on her plane of origin, I'd call Ravnica.  Though the guilds have fallen she seems to represent the legacy of Izzet and possibly Simic (or Rakdos?) thinking.  I believe Simic vedalken could have four arms, too... not sure where I'm remembering that from.

I believe it was confirmed that the Fomori were from Ir, so that's where Ruhan comes from

Basandra is probably not Ravnican,  IIRC the Boros angels were almost totally wiped out.  If she were there, she wouldn't be thematically unique though -- she'd be "Basandra, heir to Razia" or something.  I'm betting she's Dominarian or "Unknown Plane"

There's already a legendary Lorwyn uber-elemental, Horde of Notions.  This leads me to think that Animar is probably NOT from Lorwyn

Kaalia is an interesting one.  If I had to place bets, I'd say she might be from Reborn Alara, drawing on Bant, Jund, and Grixis cultures.  As far as I know, Alara is the only plane where all three big flyer races have places of prominance in close proxmimity.  Her mild tatoo work is slightly jund-tribal as well, while her dress is reminiscent of Blood Cultist.  Making me think she would have originated in Bant and grown frustrated with the inability of angels alone to handle matters, thus "adopting" aspects of Jund dragon worship and Grixis demon-pacts.   But, that's a total shot in the dark.  While Demons, Angels, and Dragons are all in the forefront in Alara, they appear on almost every plane, and the Conflux was so recent that I don't know if a character as cross-cultural as Kaalia would have to be could exist yet: When last we saw, the shards were poking at each other with a little border bleed and the occasional X means to Y ends like Skyclaw thrash.  But then there's Vedalken Heretic...

Mimeoplasm is now confirmed Muraganda.  Thanks Mellojoe

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Vigean Graftmage.

As for the Ravnican angels, we know they made a recovery. AoA covers that so we can work out that Feather somehow managed to create copies of herself the same way Razia did.
Since The Mimeoplasm has floating rocks in the background I wonder if the terrain of Muraganda is similar to Zendikar. Maybe Eldrazi or some other major magical malformity is located there too. They are supposed to be a recurring enemy on par with Nicol Bolas and Phyrexians so it's possible.

The flavor text to Imperiosaur also kind of eludes to some threat that could be expanded to fit the Eldrazi:

""An ancient, powerful force has overtaken the valley. I sympathize for its former inhabitants, but I rejoice for the land itself.""
No, the Eldrazi are only on Zendikar. There are only three Titans and everything else spawned was a result of their imprisonment.
I haven't been able to force myself to finish "Teeth of the Akoum" but my understanding was that in the end of the novel Nissa's actions caused the Titans to be released and able to leave Zendikar. Correct me if I'm confused about if they are free to be on Zendikar or free in general. I thought it was the latter.
I haven't been able to force myself to finish "Teeth of the Akoum" but my understanding was that in the end of the novel Nissa's actions caused the Titans to be released and able to leave Zendikar. Correct me if I'm confused about if they are free to be on Zendikar or free in general. I thought it was the latter.

Nope. So far they're stuck in corporeal form (though they don't seem to mind much NOM NOM NOM) so long as the Hedrons are still in place. The spell that is binding them to Zendikar is powered by the Hedrons, since they are essentially massive scale mana collectors and batteries. If the Eldrazi drain the power from the Hedrons, or just in general destroy them, they'll be free to slip back into the Blind Eternities. As of right now and in the foreseeable future, they have to wipe out Zendikar before they get back to eating the rest of the multiverse.
I personally hope Riku is native to Kamigawa. There's not enough multiple colour people from there.

As for Vish Kal, is there any establish plane where vampires have wings? If not, I'm inclined to say he is from an unexplored plane, and given his capacity of using magic I think he's too far apart from any other established vampires to be a recognisable one. 
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
I personally hope Riku is native to Kamigawa. There's not enough multiple colour people from there.

As for Vish Kal, is there any establish plane where vampires have wings? If not, I'm inclined to say he is from an unexplored plane, and given his capacity of using magic I think he's too far apart from any other established vampires to be a recognisable one. 

I will type up Riku, Animar, and Edric's after father's day stuff (sorry I've been really busy this stuff keeps taking a back seat). Riku is not given a home plane.

I don't have counter punch but have read my friends. Vish Kal isn't given a plane of origin either IIRC.
You are Red/Blue!
Sorry jedi, since I'm already here and I have some time, I'll just type Riku, Animar and Edric in and save you the effort.

Riku of Two Reflections

Riku of Two Reflections had two passions: the study of spellcraft and the study of life. The mage could never choose, but had no time to master both. Through an ancient illusionist's spell, he found the solution: he secretly split himself into two reflections, and each Riku trained and studied for years in its chosen field. Today, Riku is hailed as a master of both disciplines, and few know his secrets. The reflections never stray far from each other, and when danger threatens, enemies face the power of both Rikus.

Animar, Soul of Elements

In the folklore of its plane, the Animar is the ultimate source of all life - the seed from which all creation grows. In the presence of Animar, crops blossom and herds thrive, and the wake of its wanderings determines the course of the seasons.

Edric, Spymaster of Trest

In the port city of Trest, nothing escapes Edric's network of spies, thought couriers and familiars. Even the empress of Kinnesta is wise enough to consult with Edric before she conducts maneuvers along the coast. Yet some say that a secret from his youth, over four centuries ago, still eludes him.
Thanks Stigma, saves me time. I'll try to get The remaining 6, but it will be a while since I need to grab my friends booklets.
You are Red/Blue!
Ghave, Guru of Spores
When monsoons devastated the land of Drakkus, the herds drowned and the harvests washed away.  The humans there were forced to the fungal forests to find sustenance, and find it they did -- in the form of the mycoids and their saproling offspring.  What the humans saw as salvation, the mycoids called genocide, and they declared war on the invading mammals.  Mages tore through the sporeborn troops with fire and steel.  Only when the mycoid hero Ghave, Guru of Spores emerged did the tide finally turn.  Gifted with mystic influence over the sporeborn, Ghave sculpted the fungal matter of his people into an ever-mutating army and reclaimed his forest home.

Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter
The ancient vampire Vish Kal feeds on the wicked, and judges wickedness by his own personal code of ethics.  Those who are exonerated in the eyes of Vish Kal are untouchable, stainless.  But for the guilty he acts as both judge and executioner, personally carrying out the blood sentence for his own verdicts.

Karador, Ghost Chieftain
Once a high warchief of the Nessian centaurs, Karador was slain in a great battle.  Now Karador haunts the valleys of his youth, an embittered king of a realm of wraiths and shades.  He gathers ghostly minions for an assault on the rival warchief who disposed him.