How Does Infect Work

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Probably an easy question, but I'm new to this. I have a creature with infect - Chained Throatseaker 5/5. It says this creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters.

Let me know how to interpret this correctly.

If I attack with it, and the other player defends with his creature, then his creature gets -1/-1 applied to it?

And if it's not defended, then the other player gets 5 poison counters AND 5 regular damage, or just 5 poison counters (or something else)?

Thanks!
Jen
Probably an easy question, but I'm new to this. I have a creature with infect - Chained Throatseaker 5/5. It says this creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters.

Let me know how to interpret this correctly.

If I attack with it, and the other player defends with his creature, then his creature gets -1/-1 applied to it?

Yes, the blocking creature will get five -1/-1 counters.

And if it's not defended, then the other player gets 5 poison counters AND 5 regular damage, or just 5 poison counters (or something else)?

Just the 5 poison counters.  The player will not also lose life.

There is a specific forum for rules questions and they are answered better and quicker there.

A 5/5 infect creature that is blocked in combat will assign 5 -1/-1 counters to the blocking creature if the damage is not mitigated in some way. Against a player it would assign 5 poison counters. anyone who has 10 or more poison counters loses the game the same as if they had 0 or less life.

a 5/5 infect with trample blocked by a 2/2 creature could assign 2 damage to the creature and 3 damage to the player. Against the creature this damage would be applied as 2 -1/-1 counters and against the player this would be assigned as 3 poison counters.

A creature with 0 or less toughness is put into its owners graveyard as a state based effect, this is not destruction and those things that can prevent destruction or regeneration will not stop it moving to the graveyard. Infect as a mechanic is better then regular damage in almost all cases and is balanced by the increased casting cost of creatures that use it.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Infect just means that:

When the creature deals damage to another creature, it deals it IN THE FORM OF -1/-1 counters. This isn't additional to regular damage, it's how it deals its damage. If you don't know how counters work, click below:

Show

-1/-1 and +1/+1 counters adjust the Power/Toughness of a creature. For example, a 5/5 with 3 -1/-1 counters on it becomes a 2/2. A creature with 0 or less toughness is sent to the graveyard (keep in mind this is NOT destruction).

When the creature deals damage to a player, it deals it IN THE FORM OF poison counters. If a player has 10 or more, he or she loses the game. Again, keep in mind that this is not additional to regular damage. The damage is done in the form of poison, rather than reduced life.

It deals damage to planeswalkers as per usual.
Official Rules Advisor
Of special note, First Strike with Infect is nasty (e.g., Phyrexian Crusader and Ziggy Piggy). A Ziggy Piggy swinging into a 2/3 creature that does not have First (or Double) Strike will reduce it to a 0/1 through -1/-1 counters, those allowing the Ziggy Piggy to bring the bacon again next turn (because the blocker does not have enough power to kill the Piggy).

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

In future, please remember that rules questions are best placed in the Rules Q&A forum; they'll receive better answers than you would get elsewhere, and you'll usually get them faster to boot. I'll just get this thread moved to Rules Q&A for you now.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Ok. I get most of what is being said above about the whole infect thing, but I still have a question or two if anyone wouldn't mind helping. Infect obviously puts on -1/-1 counters on any creature it attacks and does poison counters on the actual player. What happens first though. If a 2/2 creature without infect attacked the opponent and the oppenent defended with a 2/2 with infect, do both die, or does the the infect creature who's defending with the infect creature do -2/-2 counters on the attacking creature first, causing it to die and do no damage to the creature itself? My friend has been trying to argue the latter point to me being that he is the owner of the infect deck. I get that if it was a 3/3 attacking and a 2/2 defending with infect, that the 3/3 would now have to -2/-2 counters on it, but if the -2/-2 counters occur first, then the 3/3 would be a 1/1 and note even strong enough to kill the 2/2 infect creature, but if both damages occur exactly simultaneously, which is what I thought it was, then the 3/3 regular creature would kill the 2/2 infect creature at least...even though it would still be a 1/1 instead of a 3/3 because of the two -1/-1 counters now attached. Anyway, if you can help me with this issue, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Ok. I get most of what is being said above about the whole infect thing, but I still have a question or two if anyone wouldn't mind helping. Infect obviously puts on -1/-1 counters on any creature it attacks and does poison counters on the actual player. What happens first though. If a 2/2 creature without infect attacked the opponent and the oppenent defended with a 2/2 with infect, do both die, or does the the infect creature who's defending with the infect creature do -2/-2 counters on the attacking creature first, causing it to die and do no damage to the creature itself? My friend has been trying to argue the latter point to me being that he is the owner of the infect deck. I get that if it was a 3/3 attacking and a 2/2 defending with infect, that the 3/3 would now have to -2/-2 counters on it, but if the -2/-2 counters occur first, then the 3/3 would be a 1/1 and note even strong enough to kill the 2/2 infect creature, but if both damages occur exactly simultaneously, which is what I thought it was, then the 3/3 regular creature would kill the 2/2 infect creature at least...even though it would still be a 1/1 instead of a 3/3 because of the two -1/-1 counters now attached. Anyway, if you can help me with this issue, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

If neither creature has First or Double Strike, then all the combat damage will be dealt at the same time.  This means each 2/2 will deal two damage.  One will be destroyed for having two damage marked on it, and the other will go to the graveyard for having 0 toughness.

All combat damage is dealt at the same time. If a 3/3 blocks a 2/2 Infect, the 3/3 deals 3 damage to the 2/2 and the 2/2 deals 2 damage to the 3/3 (placing 2 -1/-1 counters on it). This happens at the same time. The only case in which the Infect reduces the P/T of the other creature before taking damage is if it has first strike and the other does not.

As a side note, creating a new thread rather than bumping a 7-month-old one usually gets you your answers faster, since it's easier to tell there's a new question.
Rules Nut Advisor
All creatures deal combat damage at the same time. Infect merely changes the result of that damage. Normally, the result of damage is, that it gets marked on creatures and players lose life. Infect changes that into placing -1/-1 counters on creatures and giving poison counters to players. So the 2/2 infect creature dies due to 3 damage marked on it and the 3/3 gets two -1/-1 counters (and no damage marked on it). The infect creature would need first strike in order to place the counters before the 3/3 deals is damage (assuming, it doesn't also have first strike).

For future reference, its better to create a new thread than to revive an old one. An old thread doesn't show up as recent when you post in it, the rulings it contains might be outdated, and people assume, that the questions within have already been answered and many won't check it out.