Karina--My Magic Set

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, this is my personal mtg set called "Karina." I haven't written the actual story, so you will just have to make due by reading the flavor texts.

My distribution is:
20-Basic Lands
30-
30-
30-
30-
30-
25-Artifacts
80-Multicolor/Nonbasic Lands
275-Total (Unless my math sucks.)

Commons: 120
Uncommons: 70
Rares: 50
Mythics: 15

I am not going to post all of the cards, because it is 2:00am where I'm at, so I will post in increments.

I hope you like it, and any comments are welcome!

EDIT: Disclaimer: "I own no art, at all. Every one of these images came off of google images and I used them just as anybody else could. Please don't sue me!" Also, I don't know the names for most of these artists, so I decided not to look them up, that is a whole lot of work that I don't feel like doing.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
I'm too tired at the moment to provide any meaningful criticism on the cards themselves, but I will say this: provide artist credit. It's only fair to the people who worked hard to produce that art you're using, and it makes it a heck of a lot easier for people like me to find the art online for our own purposes.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
One of the cooler, more unified sets I've seen. I'll give individual card criticism:

Brainpicker Lich: This should be rare.
Darkheart Banshees: Great. Should really be a shade, but it's one of the first shade-type cards that is still useful without the pump.
Dark Ritual: Ok. I'd be careful with printing this, because Wizards has made clear its stance.
Demonic Tutor: No.
Death Elemental: There's not much point in deathtouch when the creature with it is already 4/5. It's comparable to Greater Basilisk.
Flesh Hurler: You have to work a bit for the bonus. Maybe just two charge counters?
Grave Spawn: I like this card.
Infernal Succubus: 3 toughness?
Infest: Ok.
Lost Voices: Crap card.
Malevolent Momentum: Not common, and also a crap card. A big discard spell is not worth locking out your mana for several turns.
Nemesis Drake: Cute.
Reaver of Life: Should have "Whenever ~ attacks and isn't blocked, it gets +2/+0 and gains lifelink until end of turn."
Putrid Captain: Awesome. Can't decide whether the triple black is too unfitting or not.
Reverent Solitude: Worse than Sinister Strength. Name makes no sense.
Sorrow's Past: I like this card.
Tainted Well: Shrug. I'd have printed a strictly better version at 1B.
Szkazi's Minion: Ok.
Szkazi: Fun. Deathtouch is irrelevant here, and I don't get why you added the reminder text.
Ubanesh Battlemage: It's quite good if you have those colors.
Unlimited Power: Strictly better Devouring Greed. I think it could be 4BB for swinginess.
Undying Overlord: Love it.
Undead Mistress: Seems ridiculously overcosted. At least make it a 3/2. Also, the ability should aggro, not gain you life.
Undead Horde: Could be 1BB.
Vampire Sentinel: Terrifying in limited, useless in constructed. Lower his toughness to 3.
Watchful Dead: Awesome.
Vile Cur: I'd make this guy a 3/2.
Zelina: "Protection from red and from green". She's ok, though the protection is a bit random.
Zonelis: What's with his pretentious name? He's a pretty cool finisher, but ultimately inefficient. Probably awesome in EDH.
Zonelian Nosferotum: Suck. Make it a base 3/3 and give it trample.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Deathtouch on big creatures is not irrelevant. It affects how you assign combat damage and discourage gank-block greatly. 

Deathtouch on big Flying creature, on the other hand is less meaningful coz' flying creatures are less in numbers and thus it's much more unlikely to gank at high-altitude battle.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
You should be careful of slot overlap among your cards. For example, you have two common green cards costing that search for basic lands.

Also, targeted creature removal seems to be curiously missing from your black cards.
You should be careful of slot overlap among your cards. For example, you have two common green cards costing that search for basic lands.

Also, targeted creature removal seems to be curiously missing from your black cards.

Actually, 3 if you count RG, the elf and the bird.

I agree, now that I look at it, I could probably use some more kill spells in black and less land fetching in green.
Your artifacts imply that you have an artifact theme in your set, but the rest of the set doesn't support that. Big problem. There's no rule that says artifacts can only work well with other artifacts.

EDIT: Also, your set is huge! You could easily make two sets out of this.
EDIT2: Okay, not that huge. Still a little big though.
Your artifacts imply that you have an artifact theme in your set, but the rest of the set doesn't support that. Big problem. There's no rule that says artifacts can only work well with other artifacts.

Some of my multicolor cards work with them. Plus, I was wanting to expand on the "infuse" mechanic, but just didn't for some reason. You're right though, there is no rule that says artifacts can only work well with other artifacts, but there isn't any rule for the contrary either.

EDIT: Infuse could be expanded.......making the set...BIGGER!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Infuse actually seems like a lame mechanic to me. You always have to be careful with free spells, but people don't like sacrificing their stuff either. The cards just seem too unexciting, and if they were exciting, they'd probably be overpowered.

Most of the artifacts just look like they belong in a different set. Imagine a draft or sealed deck scenario. The theme is all but nonexistent at common, so the uncommon and rare cards just have nothing to do.
Remove Vigilance and Haste from the list of things to be chosen by Rhydian Archon's triggered ability. When the archon is declared as an attacker, all other attacking creatures will have been declared attackers at the same time. If they didn't already have Haste, they couldn't have attacked. If they didn't already have Vigilance, they'll already be tapped, so giving them either Vigilance or Haste won't do anything.

You could maybe turn this into an activated ability that gives one of the abilities to all your other creatures and also forces Rhydian Archon to attack this turn, though that would prevent Pacifism effects from preventing the use of the ability.
Why is Fauna Ritual mythic?
Just FYI. Demonic tutor isn't an instant. It is a sorcery.
IMAGE(http://kherkeep.com/images/smilies/plowbeast.png)Why can't everyone see the inherent goodness in destruction? Or the evil in creation? A forest cannot live without the nutrients provided by the destructive force of a forest fire. And if I am wrong, then why is lifeblood of creation - water - the most destructive force on the planet? 701.4. Cast
Remove Vigilance and Haste from the list of things to be chosen by Rhydian Archon's triggered ability. When the archon is declared as an attacker, all other attacking creatures will have been declared attackers at the same time. If they didn't already have Haste, they couldn't have attacked. If they didn't already have Vigilance, they'll already be tapped, so giving them either Vigilance or Haste won't do anything.

You could maybe turn this into an activated ability that gives one of the abilities to all your other creatures and also forces Rhydian Archon to attack this turn, though that would prevent Pacifism effects from preventing the use of the ability.

Yeah, I forgot about that. Obviously there are a few mechanical errors in some of my cards, as well as spelling and wording issues. I think it might work if it says something like, "Whenever you declare attackers, if Rhydian Archon is one of them, then blah blah blah." I still don't think it works, though. I might just change it to be an extra combat phase, like godo, bandit warlord, but for all of my creatures.

@Libe: I felt like many people would see it as a staple in pretty much any green deck that uses creatures...just as lotus cobra ramps mana quickly, little weenies + fauna ritual = early fatty, which seems mythic to me.
Just FYI. Demonic tutor isn't an instant. It is a sorcery.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think the set needs some focus.  I see some tribal effects, but not so much that it's a tribal set.  I see some artifact interactions, but it's not an artifact themed set either.  It's got more than the usual amount of multicolor and hybrid cards, including several at Common, but it's not a multicolor themed set.

Also I concur with what someone else said about watching the "slots" in the set.  For instance you've got a 2/3 green creature with regeneration AND a 3/2 green creature with regeneration at close to the same cost.  Does the set really need both of them?  It can take a lot of staring at the set before you notice things. It's taken me a while in my own sets to finally realize oddities like not having any white flying creatures at Common, or too many Red creatures with haste, or not a single three-mana creature in Blue.  But the attention to detail can really help the set work.

Basically, there are a lot of decent cards, but they don't seem to form a larger framework.  There's no unifying element that ties things together, and the cards often get in the way of each other.  If I were you, I'd look at the existing mechanics you've got, take the ones you find most interesting, and then carefully draw up a plan for making them work together.  Mark Rosewater's "Nuts and Bolts" articles walk through a lot of the basics, such as how to distribute card types and mana costs.  But you also need to find out what the set as a whole is about.  Do you want to build on the creature-type interactions, like you're doing with Elves and Zombies?  Or maybe expand on the multicolor theme, following in the footsteps of Ravnica and Alara?  It might take some trial and error to figure out what works, but it helps a LOT.

EDIT: I found this extremely helpful: www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.a... 
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
@Libe: I felt like many people would see it as a staple in pretty much any green deck that uses creatures...just as lotus cobra ramps mana quickly, little weenies + fauna ritual = early fatty, which seems mythic to me.

Lotus Cobra only has one flimsy excuse for being mythic and that's the homage to the iconic Black Lotus. It really should be at a lower rarity. Your card has more in common with cards like Seething Song and Dark Ritual, only it's harder to use. There is no excuse for Fauna Ritual to be anything higher than an uncommon.
Sign In to post comments