New Hybrid and Multiclass Options Playtest

375 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here

The first things that jump out at me are the Archery Mastery and Pact Blade Manifestation feats: the first allows an Archer Ranger to swap out his non-Twin -Strike at-will for Clever Shot or Rapid Shot, which he might actually use sometimes. The second allows a Cha-based PHB1 warlock to pick up an extra at-will that's a melee basic attack, which is handy if you want to have a ranged basic and a melee basic on the warlock.
Things worth discussing IMO:

1) Assassins can take Executioner's Strike instead of Guild training.  

2) Warlocks can pick up their pact weapon variant and get the At-Will power associated.  So human Warlocks have 4 At-Wills? 

3) The Vampire Hybrid is pretty much the whole Vampire.

..and there's a Hybrid Binder. *facepalm*

edit 4) Artificer multiclass Vampire and Arcane Vampire feat  could recharge all its infusions on its own forever for free, I think. At least under Lv 16.  One from Blood Drinker and one from the Arcane encounter power. Even better: Half-Elf Artificer/Vampire Slam/ Adept Dilletante to avoid the healing surge penalties. 
Twofold Pact + Pact Blade Manifestation = 2 new at-will powers, able to have 2 pact weapons?
Hybrid (Executioner) Attack Finesse works with basic attacks
There are some pretty fantastic things in there.  This is going to take a long while to digest.  Warlocks get pact blades= awesome,  pact blades = MBA's = awesome...

Vampire Hybrids are the best Vampires!  Stay thirsty my friends! Martial vampires are icky.

Mmmm... blackguard and assassin stuff is pretty good too.
Oh.  Oh my.  This gives awesomeness to my hybrid Warlock|Rogue. 

+3/d10 light blade for my rogue powers?  Yes, indeed....
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
There are some pretty fantastic things in there.  This is going to take a long while to digest.  Warlocks get pact blades= awesome,  pact blades = MBA's = awesome...

Vampire Hybrids are the best Vampires!  Stay thirsty my friends! Martial vampires are icky.

Anyone else get the crazy notion that vampires would probably have been better off just being a hybrid option?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Damn, ninja'd while starting my own thread for the topic!

Oh well, to quote myself:

Things look more interesting than useful. Executioners can now get shrouds, and Osassins can get Executioner's Strike. Every Warlock can now enjoy the headache of trying to figure out how a hexblade works, and any class can now get almost all the toys of going vampire... Who would want that again?

Sacrasm aside, I think I can see Rogue's hybriding Vampire to basically trade some class features for regeneration. Of course, being slapped with the two surge limit is pretty damn harsh (although I don't know if the hybrid language means that your classes base surge number becomes two, or that you only have two, regardless of class).

All in all a kind of meh showing.

-

I also didn't notice that Warlocks also get the at-will associated with their Pact-Blade. Hmmm. A Charging, Crit-Fishing Star-Lock as part of the Radiant Mafia... hmmm.

Yeah, pratical, but not really caring much as charging optimization has become the "instant road" to optimization. At this point if it has a melee basic, it can strike.

... I also had an awesome idea of this feat opening up a Cha-Based MBA to any class, but the wording of the original Warlock Multiclass feat ruined my dream.

On another note: Classes now have even more reason to want to Hybrid Warlock: Awesome MBAs for a feat! I've already begun to tinker with a Catch-22 Battlemind|Hell'lock. He can indulge in his Catch-22 Shenangins, and get a sweet MBA out of the deal. A win-win for everyone. Perhaps Rod of the Dragonborn to get Free Lightning for Mark of storm shenanagins and Lyrandar Windrider. Hmmm...
I am a: Lawful Good Dragonborn Paladin

Anyone else get the crazy notion that vampires would probably have been better off just being a hybrid option?

Would have...  they are the better option now.  They can get all the bonuses and better powers and multiple healing surges and all kinds of fun stuff.  This makes me happy as someone who really wanted the vampire to be good.  I love hybrids anyway so this is fantastic as far as I'm concerned.
Will need to re-examine the infinite Dragonbreath build as a hybrid Vampire|Sorcerer....

Shame their power source isn't Arcane.
Hybrid Vampire/Blackgaurd for the true shadow striker with Chr to all attacks!  And one tough SOB to boot... and real striker potential... chr dmg, check... hurt self for more damage, check... CA for more dmg, check... blood drinker, check... thats a lot of bonus.
So the hybrid Executioner's attack finesse is phrased that it includes basic attacks. They should include a wording that either includes or excludes powers that act as melee basic attacks. Otherwise, it'd be a blast to play an Avenger|Executioner with Power of Skill.
Hybrid Ranger/Sentinal Druids = the best Beastmaster rangers!  Sad but possibly true.
Sad no options to hybrid the Scout or the Slayer. I was really hoping to use one of those for a concept

And just to check, you can't do something like hybrid Paladin | Paladin (Cavalier) right? I'm not sure why you'd want to do something like that, but it would be silly ;p
Sad no options to hybrid the Scout or the Slayer. I was really hoping to use one of those for a concept

And just to check, you can't do something like hybrid Paladin | Paladin (Cavalier) right? I'm not sure why you'd want to do something like that, but it would be silly ;p

You can't multiclass/hybrid into your own class. So, no.
Could someone who has access give us a brief précis of what each of the options offers, thank you so much.
Hybrid Cavalier is better than regular Cavalier. Combine with Warlock with Pact Blade for super chocolaty goodness and White Raven shenanigans. Cavalier encounter power can trigger off of Warlock At-Wills!

Blackguard is also sexy Hybrid Warlock for that matter.

Both of the Essentials Hybrid Paladins have minor/free action encounter powers. I wonder if Hexhammer Warlocks aren't better off with Pact Blade and Hybrid Blackguard/Cavalier?

Or, come to think of it, Swordmages with Pact Blades...
...whatever
Hybrid Binders are the best Binders... yay!...

KINDA...

the worst class from HoSh gets the worst hybrid and no real extra support. 
Contemplating the sexiness of Sentinel|Warden hybrid
...whatever
Hybrid Binders are the best Binders... yay!...

KINDA...

the worst class from HoSh gets the worst hybrid and no real extra support. 

I think April Fools has come early this year in regards to the hybrid Binder.
So... Hybrid Warlock|Executioner get to double up on their striker features due to eldritch strike being a mba and can take Shadowwalk for an additional feat? Sign me up!
warlocks needed a 2nd subclass like rangers needed additional reasons to take twin strike... oh... the rangers may have actually gotten more out of this article than the binder... I know that's not saying much but really folks... stop making rangers more awesome.
Have they released Hybrid rules for the Thief or Scout yet? The way the Hybrid Executioner is set up, combined with another one-handed melee basic class, just seems ripe for abuse. Horrible, horrible abuse.
Has anyone thought about Executioner|Warlock/Rogue with the pactblade feat and surprising charge?  It seems to me that you could get a decent charger that'd get the bonus Executioner damage as well as the Curse damage.

Another thougt (although less for pure power and more for "cool") Sentinel|Beastmaster Ranger/Shaman: Beast, Animal and Spirit Companions...

**Edit** Ninjaed byTheziner
There are some serious combos with these. Not sure any of them are game shattering though. I'm really not sure how well thought out these are.
...whatever
There are some serious combos with these. Not sure any of them are game shattering though. I'm really not sure how well thought out these are.

If they are game shattering I'm sure we'll find them... after we stop mocking some of the sillier aspects and combos.
It says playtest, so does that mean it will be up for everyone after its been finilized?  Or will I have to sign up for the insider again to get all the hybrid and multiclass things.
im going to have to take a serious look at what a halfling hybrid rogue|sentinal can do while riding his wolf 1stly, this is essentially a rogue with infinite combat advantage.

the options look very solid and very fun i think this is an awsome addition to the game and i cant wait to see the finalized version!!!
Hybrid Cavalier is better than regular Cavalier. Combine with Warlock with Pact Blade for super chocolaty goodness and White Raven shenanigans. Cavalier encounter power can trigger off of Warlock At-Wills!

Both of the Essentials Hybrid Paladins have minor/free action encounter powers. I wonder if Hexhammer Warlocks aren't better off with Pact Blade and Hybrid Blackguard/Cavalier?

Swordmages always make great hybrids.  Swordmages with Pact Blades makes me happy.  I hope the gloom and infernal pacts get a feat that allows them to change the type of pact "blade" they get so this will work across pacts.  I kinda hate that the pactBLADES are all not BLADES! or at least have the option to be blades somehow.  At least for the gloom pact it should be mutable; it's thematic and all.

Swordmages always make great hybrids.  Swordmages with Pact Blades makes me happy.  I hope the gloom and infernal pacts get a feat that allows them to change the type of pact "blade" they get so this will work across pacts.  I kinda hate that the pactBLADES are all not BLADES! or at least have the option to be blades somehow.  At least for the gloom pact it should be mutable; it's thematic and all.

Warlock|Swordmage with Pact Blade can still ignore Cha and just use Eldritch Strike with the Pact Blade, it should be noted. I would imagine though that a Pact Blade Swordmage might be better off with Shadow Walk instead of Swordmage Warding since they won't have a hand free.
...whatever
Another thought: Ranger|Seeker, swapping out their ranger at-will for Clever Shot or Rapid Shot, making a pretty compitent controller.
Also note: the way the feat is worded now, it allows a Half-Elf Versitile master to pick it up
Call Celestial Steed: are you there?

(...)

Poor O-Paladin, he just wants his noble steed back

Also, a Versatile Expertise update with a proper tier scaling would have been a great add to this article...
Finally no lame combined attack for sentinel, finally!
Finally it's a class fully functional!
Hybrid sentinel seems way off. Since normal sentinels only get 1 at-will (plus the companion's attack), you actually gain an at-will attack by going hybrid. That aside, they don't seem to lose much (or anything at all) in the transition from full class to hybrid: they have one healing word less (which they can get back by hybridizing with other leader), gain the natural cycle benefits, and have the full animal companion, which is, well, a beast. Lacking knacks is hardly an issue (and they can be gained back via feats), and the higher level features aren't much of a loss, either.

As painful as it sounds, hybrid sentinels should probably sacrifice their druid at-will, and have their animal companion diminished somehow. I'm not sure what would be the best solution, but the following options come to mind:
- Reduce companion HP (to surge value?)
- Limit in-combat companion resurrection (1/ encounter?)
- Reduce companion opportunity attacks (some penalty, or 1/encounter, maybe get full companion with hybrid talent) 

Also, weapon bonuses from Acolyte of the Natural Cycle should probably affect only druid powers, or require hybrid talent. Otherwise, dagger-wielding sentinel|rogues or greatspear-wielding sentinel|anything can become more accurate than the base classes.
My blog about 4e rules and news: Square Fireballs The Magic Item Reset: A standalone set of items for 4E
Don't reduce hybrid sentinel. They are poor enough. Nerf rangers there, and warlords to your left..
Animal companion needs no nerf. Again they are already poor enough. You don't see Ranger's companion got nerfed to oblivion. The only nerf might be nature's cycle, which might be a hybrid talent.
It seems like Hybrid Executioners, Blackguards, Cavaliers, and Sentinels can pick their At-Wills, Encounters, and Dailies from the parent class, not just from themselves.
...whatever
Well, right off the bat, I can see that MC warlocks who took pact initiate can get hexblade at-wills.
Oh Content, where art thou?
MC Paladin and a full defending aura, speaking of cheesy...hello white lotus :3
Blood Thirst feat doesn't seem to work. Multiclassing characters can't trigger Blood Drinker, due to lack of vampire at-wills. Should probably be changed so that Blood Drinker works with any at-will attack.
My blog about 4e rules and news: Square Fireballs The Magic Item Reset: A standalone set of items for 4E
Its too bad Vampires dont have some sort of weapon attack. Then a Blackguard|Vampire could have some seriously epic Nova damage, stacking up all thier +damage features in one go.
MC Paladin and a full defending aura, speaking of cheesy...hello white lotus :3

The Cavalier's Defender Aura and punishment is an average Defender feature at best. White Lotus has been available to Half Elf Dilettantes for some time now, this just makes it available to all.
...whatever