Powers useage

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a question about powers usage. Lets say i have 4 at will powers and 4 encounter powers. So in the first encounter i use will power A and B and encounter power Z. For the rest of the quest do i have to keep using only will power A and B and encounter power Z? Or in the next encounter can i pick like will power B and C and encounter power X the next time around?
Hey there!  You can use whichever at-will powers you want, whenever you want, as long as you have the actions to pay for them.  Encounter powers are just once per fight, though, but after a short rest they 'recharge' so you can re-use them again.  There's no constraints based on previous usages or that sort of thing.
Provided you have the actions to spend:
You can use your at-will powers whenever you like.
You can use each of your encounter powers once per encounter.
You can use each of your daily powers once per day.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
so im not stuck with only picking 2 at will powers for the entire quest or 1 encounter power the entire quest
so im not stuck with only picking 2 at will powers for the entire quest or 1 encounter power the entire quest

You choose 2 at-will powers, one encounter power, and 1 daily at level 1. You then follow the progression. You don't choose new powers after a rest (exception being the wizard with his spellbook). You can use an encounter power once per short rest, and a daily power once per extended rest. You can use as many as you have, though, provided you have the action available.
True, you're "locked in" to using the powers you choose "for good".  So, like you named them, if you chose power at-will A and at-will B at level 1, then you're stuck with those choices until you level up, in which case you can change one of them.  During the whole quest, you use A and B as much as you want since they are "at-will".

If you really wanted to try different powers (say, C and D), then you can ask your DM if you can change your powers around.  Maybe you made bad choices or you want to try something new; technically that's a house rule but it's no big deal when you are learning the ropes
True, you're "locked in" to using the powers you choose "for good".  So, like you named them, if you chose power at-will A and at-will B at level 1, then you're stuck with those choices until you level up, in which case you can change one of them.  During the whole quest, you use A and B as much as you want since they are "at-will".

If you really wanted to try different powers (say, C and D), then you can ask your DM if you can change your powers around.  Maybe you made bad choices or you want to try something new; technically that's a house rule but it's no big deal when you are learning the ropes

Technically, there is also the option of retraining.  I can't remember exactly by the rules what you get to retrain, but I seem to remember that, "by the rules" the frequency is at level up.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
Yeah, by the rules you get to retrain 1 thing per level. That thing can be a trained skill, a feat, or any of your powers.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Special moves you are good enough at to use reliably on the fly during a fight are pretty much defined by the powers you can still do many things stunts like the old swing from a chandelier or sticking out your foot to trip to trip as somebody runs by -these may be situationally as good as a power  (the dm has some rules to help him figure out what appropriate things might be possible) - also remember to exploit things in the environment knocking somebody down a well with a bull rush is more than a little over powered 

Picking up rituals gains more specific things a character might do - out of combat

If your character is a wizard the spell book allows some swapping out of powers after an extended rest and some feats enable fighters to do some similar adaptability

Your powers can actually be seen represent a huge number of things - check out my sig - Dynamic Flavoring
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

so basically if i have 4 at will powers on me i can use all 4 in the same battle. And if i have 2 encounter powers i can use the first one in the first battle, take a rest when its over, and use the other one in the next battle (of course given i have the action points) right?
Pretend you're level 3 and you have three encounter powers (one from your race, and two from your class).  During each in encounter you can use all three of them once each
In your example, you could use any of your 4 at-wills in any rounds in any fight. You never loose access to them, you can use any of them round after round in a fight. You can alternate or spam the same at-will every round.

You have 2 encounters powers which can be used one time each in a given fight.
The next fight, after a short rest in between, both become available to you again., wheter you used both or only one.

-Realize You are your own source of all Creation, of your own master plan.
so basically if i have 4 at will powers on me i can use all 4 in the same battle. And if i have 2 encounter powers i can use the first one in the first battle, take a rest when its over, and use the other one in the next battle (of course given i have the action points) right?

not at all.

So you have 4 at wills to choose from at character creation.  At character creation you pick 2 at wills to use (3 if you are human), these are the only at will powers you can use unless you retrain when you level to change them.  So you have 2 at wills to choose from to use in combat.

When you lvl up you could gain an encounter, daily or utility power.  At each lvl you will have many options, you will pick 1, just 1, for your character use.  You can use this as often as defined by the power (once per short rest for encounters, once per extended rest for dailies, and utilities can be encounter or daily powers).

You can ONLY change your choice of powers when you obtain a new lvl, and even then you can only change 1 power OR 1 feat OR 1 skill.

So at lvl 1 you would have choosen 2 at will powers (3 if human), 1 encounter power, and 1 daily power that your character can use.
Incoming wall of text.

Let's say I'm playing an Eladrin Fighter.
I gain the encounter power Fey Step from my race.
I get two At-Will attack powers from my class; I choose Tide of Iron and Cleave.
I get one Level 1 encounter attack power from my class; I choose Spinning Sweep.
I get one level 1 Daily attack powe from my class; I choose Brute Strike.

I get in a fight.  I can use my at will attack powers as often as I want.  I can use Fey Step AND Spinning Sweep once each during this encounter.  I can use them again after a short rest, which occurs between battles.

My party wins this battle, but has another one later that day.  I can again use my at-wills, and I can again use Fey Step and Spinning Sweep once each during the battle.

My party enters a third battle.  I can again use Fey Step and Spinning Sweep once during the battle, as well as my at-will powers.

During any one of these battles, I could also use to use Brute Strike, but if I do, I cannot use it again until the party bunks down for an extended rest.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
not at all.

So you have 4 at wills to choose from at character creation.  At character creation you pick 2 at wills to use (3 if you are human), these are the only at will powers you can use unless you retrain when you level to change them.  So you have 2 at wills to choose from to use in combat.

Or he's a human druid, and so he has 4 at wills :P
not at all.

Or he's a human druid, and so he has 4 at wills :P

possible, but withou an explicit question concerning that possiblity, i would rather not add confusion to the OP, but you did that for me so . . . thanks!
Incoming wall of text.

Let's say I'm playing an Eladrin Fighter.
I gain the encounter power Fey Step from my race.
I get two At-Will attack powers from my class; I choose Tide of Iron and Cleave.
I get one Level 1 encounter attack power from my class; I choose Spinning Sweep.
I get one level 1 Daily attack powe from my class; I choose Brute Strike.

I get in a fight.  I can use my at will attack powers as often as I want.  I can use Fey Step AND Spinning Sweep once each during this encounter.  I can use them again after a short rest, which occurs between battles.

My party wins this battle, but has another one later that day.  I can again use my at-wills, and I can again use Fey Step and Spinning Sweep once each during the battle.

My party enters a third battle.  I can again use Fey Step and Spinning Sweep once during the battle, as well as my at-will powers.

During any one of these battles, I could also use to use Brute Strike, but if I do, I cannot use it again until the party bunks down for an extended rest.

Oh i understand completely now. Thanks so much everyone
if youre a mage though you cant use both of your enc of the same level. i dont know if youre a mage though
na na i have a sorcerer and a warden
na na i have a sorcerer and a warden

Yeah, don't worry too much about wizards. They have the 'spell book' feature, which makes things a bit more complicated. They get extra Daily and Utility powers which they can swap in and out after an extended rest. That rule can be a bit confusing and interacts with powers swaps such in a rather confusing and sometimes ambiguous way, but until you get into running a wizard it is all academic. They're fun, but a bit more complicated.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
alright so if this is the case then what is the advantage of being a human? Getting one extra at will seems a little pointless if you can just use the ones you pick as much as you want.
alright so if this is the case then what is the advantage of being a human? Getting one extra at will seems a little pointless if you can just use the ones you pick as much as you want.

Some at-wills are extremely situational, and there might be two generally better at-wills, even if the third is the BEST when it's situation comes up.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
Choice. Choice is always good.

Having a third at-will power allows many of the divine and arcane classes to have an at-will power that targets each of the three non-AC defenses or powers that do more than one type of elemental damage like fire and lightning. And each at-will does something a bit different beyond just doing damage - a lot of the fighter's at-will powers for example are specifically designed for a certain type of weapon or one of the different fighter builds : Tide of Iron requires you to use a shield and lets you knock your opponent back a square when you hit and Dual Strike is meant for the dual-wielding Tempest fighter and lets you attack more than one opponent, etc... If you have a character who has a spiked shield (which counts as a light blade) and uses a sword, then they can get a lot of use out of both of those at-wills, while still having another at-will that does something like give them temporary hit points or a bonus to hit.
My ranger, for example, has one at-will that allows her to attack twice, another that allows her to attack and then shift away from her opponent (which can also be used as an opportunity attack), and a third where she makes a ranged attack and then moves her speed to attack another opponent. The first two can both be used either at range or in melee, while the third lets you make one attack of each type.

And speaking of choices, as of Essentials human also choose between getting an extra at-will power or taking a racial power called Heroic Effort -when they miss with an attack or fail a saving throw they can use the power to add a +4 bonus to the roll, giving them a chance to turn it into a success.

Also, humans also get an extra skill from their class plus an extra feat - for some characters, that extra feat and skill are completely awesome.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Ah ok that is cool. Thanks for the info again