New to D&D? Start here!

283 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I recently purchased the Red Box and I must say I love it, a nice read and a fun game to boot.  I ran through the solo side and am working on running my wife through it.  My hopes are to have a few of my co-workers run through it also to build their characters and end up DMing a group of four people.  I purchased the DM kit and will be getting it Monday (I can't wait).  My question is should I continue to purchase the monster vault, and other 4e books since I see talk of a new edition coming out.  Also if my group plans dont pan out how active is the VT?  I would gladly pay $10 a month for some good games.

Maptools (www.rptools.net) makes a great free VTT.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

So i'm getting the Heros of Fallen Lands book what else do i need to start an adventure? So far it's only my girlfriend and I who are going to start playing and maybe two other people.
So i'm getting the Heros of Fallen Lands book what else do i need to start an adventure? So far it's only my girlfriend and I who are going to start playing and maybe two other people.

DM kit (for whoever is DMing).
Rule compendium.

Dice + paper+ penciles ... 

Later, grab the monster vault. 

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I see stuff about character movement so do i need to get the Tiles? Or is there somewhere i can get map that have the grid markers on them? Not sure what my first adventure will be but i see a free one online called Keep on the Shadowfell. It shows a map on it but not sure where to get it. Thanks for the help! I'm trying to get everything for this weekend.
I see stuff about character movement so do i need to get the Tiles? Or is there somewhere i can get map that have the grid markers on them? Not sure what my first adventure will be but i see a free one online called Keep on the Shadowfell. It shows a map on it but not sure where to get it. Thanks for the help! I'm trying to get everything for this weekend.

What you really need is a grid (roughly 20x20), moveable pieces (that can be differentiatied), and set pieces (for walls, and stuff).

Tiles work, and they look nice.  I don't personally use them.
You can also make your own tiles.  If you have a printer.
Many people like to get a laminated grid, and just draw stuff.
Others use a checkered table cloth and colored candy, with forks, spoons, and salt shakers.  For those on a super small budget.
There's also digital maps.  Such as maptools, but those require laptops, or a big TV to hook up to.  They let you play online though.
And if you want to go all out, there's several 3d stuff you can build and miniture figurines to buy.

And the DM kit comes with a nice starter adventure.  So you should be set for a little while.  You can decide weather you want to create your own or continue with pre-mades after you've played a bit.

guides
Power
my builds

Thank you for your help! I personally like the way the maps look with the tiles so i might pick up the Dungeon ones. I like the miniutures but i heard that WOTC doesn't make them anymore so they'll be hard to find. I might just pick some up for the Player characters. I heard the Monster Vault has monster tokens so that would be fine with me. I'll have to pick up the DM kit which brings me to my next question. So there are a total of 4 of us. If one of us is the DM then there will only be 3 players. I heard that 5 is the recommended amount but i don't think we will find other people who will want to play with us. Are the adventures scalable for 3 players instead of 5? 
Thank you for your help! I personally like the way the maps look with the tiles so i might pick up the Dungeon ones. I like the miniutures but i heard that WOTC doesn't make them anymore so they'll be hard to find. I might just pick some up for the Player characters. I heard the Monster Vault has monster tokens so that would be fine with me. I'll have to pick up the DM kit which brings me to my next question. So there are a total of 4 of us. If one of us is the DM then there will only be 3 players. I heard that 5 is the recommended amount but i don't think we will find other people who will want to play with us. Are the adventures scalable for 3 players instead of 5? 

There are rules for scale encounters yes.  And yes, the default is 5, so you will need to.

Generally...
If there's 5 monsters, just remove 2.
If there's 4 monsters, remove 2 weaker ones, or 1 stronger one.
If there's 1 monster, reduce him by a level.

Some other encounters may take a bit more tinkering, like replacing a stronger monster with a weaker one.  But the rules cover all this, and it's not too difficult.

guides
Power
my builds

G'day, i'm a newbie to D&D. I've just gotten the red box and finished the solo mission (i ended up with a hafling cleric of of the sun) and am eager to continue on from there. I've got another friend who has the red box as well, we'll sort try and both get into the hobby together as a team.

So far playing a full fledged game looks pretty daunting, both in all the rules that seem to be needed for an actual game as well as actually finding someone to DM it all who'd be willing to take on a newb. Anyway, i'm here to try and learn as much as i can so i can get into the real game as soon as i can. It's nice to be here.
I've made some minor updates to the first post in this thread.  Apologies for the ugly links, it appears to be a technical issue.

All around helpful simian

Hi everyone, I just got the red box and have a few questions.

1. When a status such as "helpless" grants combat advantage, what does that actually mean? Does that helpless creature now get +2 Damage to all creatures?

2. During the first encounter in the DM book from the red box, the text reads "You roll two initiative checks, one for the goblins (d20+3) and one for the wolves (d20+5)". Does this mean I roll twice in total for all the monsters (if so how do I as the DM just choose which goblin or wolf goes first), or do I roll 4 times total for each monster?

3. Also, on the next page of the DM book, it gives the stats for those two types of monsters and it states: "2 Goblin Cutthroats, Initiative + 5" and "2 Gray Wolves, Initiative + 6," despite it saying +3 and +5 respectivelly on the page before (quoted above). Is this a typo or are there other factors that need to be added before an initiative check?

Thanks

1. When a status such as "helpless" grants combat advantage, what does that actually mean? Does that helpless creature now get +2 Damage to all creatures?

2. During the first encounter in the DM book from the red box, the text reads "You roll two initiative checks, one for the goblins (d20+3) and one for the wolves (d20+5)". Does this mean I roll twice in total for all the monsters (if so how do I as the DM just choose which goblin or wolf goes first), or do I roll 4 times total for each monster?

3. Also, on the next page of the DM book, it gives the stats for those two types of monsters and it states: "2 Goblin Cutthroats, Initiative + 5" and "2 Gray Wolves, Initiative + 6," despite it saying +3 and +5 respectivelly on the page before (quoted above). Is this a typo or are there other factors that need to be added before an initiative check?

Thanks

1.  If something has combat advantage over something else they gain a +2 to their attack role against the creature that is "helpless" (I think).

2.  It depends.  They are having you roll iniative for each "group" of monster, ie once for the group of goblins, then for the wolves.  From there it would be up to you which monster goes first in the group.  If the tokens have 1 - 3 on them you could start with 1 then go down the line.  I have also rolled iniative for each monster but it takes alot longer.

3.  I checked the adventure tools on the site and it shows a +5 for the goblins and +6 for the wolves.  Looks like there is a type (I never noticed that before). 

Thanks

1) Combat advantage gives you +2 to hit.  "granting it" means other people get the bonus.  Helpless also means your -5 on all defenses, for a total of 7.

2) Once per monster, once per PC.  So 4 total.  Though it's fairly common to roll once for the entire group.  Especially if there's alot of them.

The one with the highest (add the init bonus) goes first.  In case of a tie, the one with the bigger bonus (the wolf) goes first.

3) Looks like a typo.

guides
Power
my builds

hello again. in reading the essential heros books i have another question. what happeded to rituals?
hello again. in reading the essential heros books i have another question. what happeded to rituals?

Nothing.  They are safely sitting in PHB1 along with the ritual caster feat, which everyone qualifies for (even slayers).

guides
Power
my builds

Newbie here.

I just did a few dungeons with friends and had a blast, but I don't know what to do next. I see there is Game Supplements, but can I just buy any one? Or is each one made for a certain level. I only saw "For levels *blank* - *blank*" on some of them. 
"DM says you're gonna die, roll a d6." "It's true you DON'T see many Dwarf Women, and in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance that they're often mistaken for Dwarf Men.. there has been rise to believe that there ARE no Dwarf women.. and that Dwarves just.. spring out of holes in the ground!" - Gimli

Nothing.  They are safely sitting in PHB1 along with the ritual caster feat, which everyone qualifies for (even slayers).

reason i ask i didnt see them in the essentials players book but for a one page mention. does essentials not use them?
Newbie here.

I just did a few dungeons with friends and had a blast, but I don't know what to do next. I see there is Game Supplements, but can I just buy any one? Or is each one made for a certain level. I only saw "For levels *blank* - *blank*" on some of them. 

Once you've run though the adventures in the DM kit, you could either..

1) Get a full adventure, which are level specific.  I belive H1, H2, H3 would be appropriate.  I personally don't use them.

2) Make your own adventure.  Which you can do from complete scratch, or can be supplimented with pre-made monsters from the monster vault, and premade worlds such as eberon.

guides
Power
my builds

reason i ask i didnt see them in the essentials players book but for a one page mention. does essentials not use them?

None of the essentals classes start with them.  But they can use them.

They need the ritual casting feat (or one of the other possible feats, such as bardic ritualist) from PHB1, and then buy/find the rituals, and have the residium to cast them.  You also can cast them from scrolls without the feat.  

Same as a warlord, ranger, warden, vampire, or avenger would use them.

guides
Power
my builds

None of the essentals classes start with them.  But they can use them.

They need the ritual casting feat (or one of the other possible feats, such as bardic ritualist) from PHB1, and then buy/find the rituals, and have the residium to cast them.  You also can cast them from scrolls without the feat.  

Same as a warlord, ranger, warden, vampire, or avenger would use them.

Thanks for the help mello
Howdy folks,

Check out our New to D&D section of the Dungeons & Dragons website.
www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.aspx?x=new/w...

(This link will be added to the first post in this thread as well.)   

We realy need something to show people like me how to properly fill out a character sheet.
We realy need something to show people like me how to properly fill out a character sheet.

The red box does a good job.
So does the character builder.

Or i'm sure someone in your group can show you. 

guides
Power
my builds

Update 4/18/2012 - Tidied up some ugly links and such in the first post.

Hey all,

So I've become interested in D&D and had a question regarding the character you create for playing.  Do you continue playing this character through all future games, or do you just use the same one throughout a single campaingn. Or do you have to use a new character with each game/campaign you start?

If you play the same character, do you also get to keep newly discovered weapons/gold etc that you can bring to other games?

Thanks for any info!

So I'm not necessarily a new player, but I am trying to recruit some others into it. We all play MtG together and so I figured maybe they could be swayed to play DnD as well. Does anyone have any tips?
You can always make MtG creatures.
And the BBEG could use MtG spells.

guides
Power
my builds

So I've become interested in D&D and had a question regarding the character you create for playing.  Do you continue playing this character through all future games, or do you just use the same one throughout a single campaingn. Or do you have to use a new character with each game/campaign you start?

This is all very variable, so treat my answers as "it's usually like this, but it might be different"!

You usually play the same character as long as the game remains the same "campaign". Exceptions would be if the character dies (and his companions don't get him raised from the dead), or if you just get fed up with a character and want to switch.

If you start a new campaign, it's usual to create new characters. This is far fom universal, though; if you get a steady gaming group and all become long term friends (or maybe were friends before you started gaming together), you might decide to do anything that interested you. Sometimes you might say "remember that old campaign with such-and-such characters? Let's play them in a new campaign!" There is nothing to stop you doing that, if that's what you want to do!

Finally, a word about "organised play". The Encounters seasons I think generally assume you create a new character for each season, but the "Living" games are more like a huge, ongoing "campaign". You have to keep records of what your character gets (which have to be signed off by accredited DMs and so on), but there you can take the same character along to other sessions run by other DMs in the "Living" game system and run them there.

If you play the same character, do you also get to keep newly discovered weapons/gold etc that you can bring to other games?

If you can keep the character, then, generally, yes. So, if you are in the same "campaign" (including moving between DMs in a "Living" campaign), then you can keep the treasure and purchases from one session to the next.

The only real "golden rule" is to speak to the DM before the game starts. He or she will be able to tell you what the "table rules" are for what you are about to do.
======= Balesir
I Was wondering can a trio of friends play DnD? And also we bought

1 "Monster Vault: An Essential Dungeons & Dragons Kit (4th Edition D&D)" Rodney Thompson; Game;

"Dungeon Master's Kit: An Essential Dungeons & Dragons Kit (4th Edition D&D)" Wyatt, James; Game;

"Chessex Dice: Polyhedral 7-Die Translucent Dice Set Green" Chessex; Toy;

Rules Compendium: An Essential Dungeons & Drago Compendium (4th Edition D&D)" Wyatt, James; Paperback;

"Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook" Rob Heinsoo; Hardcover

Is there anything else we need? do we need more players?
Is there anything else we need? do we need more players?

Nope - you have everything you need to start with!

A few suggestions:

- Make sure to go to the "Rules Updates" part of the Wizards of the Coast website and download the latest updates. They are free to download, and you might find some differences between the books that you have confusing if, for example, you don't realise that the Players' Handbook has been updated so the rules in the PHB and the Rules Compendium are a bit different. The Updates should make clear what the current rule should be.

- If you are using published adventures (and you will find a freely downloadable copy of "The Keep on the Shadowfell" on the WotC website here, to add to what comes with the DM's box and the Monster Vault) your DM will probably want to "scale" the encounters to the small number of players. Playing with two players and a DM is quite possible, but the published adventures assume a party of 5 characters. Your best bet, here, is to scale the encounters so that only 40% of the experience point worth of monsters are present. This way, the player characters won't get mobbed so hard!

- It's probably an idea to choose player character classes carefully. With a five character party you have some "leeway", but with only two it's possible to get a bit out of balance. Two Wizard characters, for example, may struggle to overcome all the challenges they meet. A Defender (Fighter or Paladin) and either a Controller (Wizard) or Striker (Rogue, Ranger or Warlock) would probably work fine. Leaders (Clerics and Warlords) generally need more characters as allies to be fully effective, but a multiclass into one of these might work well.

In general, though, take it easy and try to really grok the rules as you use them, and you should be fine and will find that it gets easier and easier until you are forgetting the real world and just having a rollicking good time!
======= Balesir
Thanx you Balesir. I Will do that. Now if it isnt much of a problem i would like to ask. What should I As a Dungeon Master do?
Since the books havent gotten here yet i havent really had the chance to read it. But, what tips can you give me?

A Big question i havem is, should the DM Focus on trying to actually kill the characters with the encounters? or just give a sense of difficulty?

Also; since pretty much everyone is a newb in this group.  Do anyone happens to know if/were i can get some "Pre-Made" Characters.  I had the idea of searching for some balanced PC's, like say a Warrior, a Mage and a Rouge, and give it to them Randomly so that they just put a name, and a bio on them to smooth our first game. 

We have grown to 4 now btw 0//
A Big question i havem is, should the DM Focus on trying to actually kill the characters with the encounters? or just give a sense of difficulty?

You shouldn't be out to kill them.  It's not DM vs Players.  Especially at first.

Also, i suggest you be pretty liberal in letting people remake, or adjust thier characters in the beginning.

guides
Power
my builds

Trying to kill the characters is not what you should be doing; first level characters are pretty weak, and the DM can kill them any time just by using, say, an ancient dragon, so that does not lead to a very fun game!

The DM's Kit (that I see you are buying) will have some advice on just this topic. The general idea is to give the players a challenge, but not make things impossible for their characters to win. Generally, in fact, they would be expected to win - otherwise they will never reach those higher levels! Once in a while, though, they should feel that they nearly "lost it" there...

On pre-gen characters and such - the "Keep on the Shadowfell" I mentioned before has some pre-gens included in the pack, I think, together with some "get playing quick" rules that cover the bare minimum to start out.

Edit: here is a link for the Quickstart rules (which include some pre-made characters) and the Keep on the Shadowfell and Khyber's Harvest starter adventures:

www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.aspx?x=new/l...
======= Balesir
Really new to this site and I see a lot of abbreviations that I have no clue about. Is there list for what terms like BBEG, PnP and FLGS mean?

BBEG usually means Big Bad Evil Guy, in other words the main villain of a story or adventure.

PnP usually means Pen and Paper or Pencil and Paper, in other words non-digital gaming.

FLGS usually means Friendly Local Game Store, in other words the place you go to buy D&D and other games.  Some fans don't have access to a FLGS and/or prefer to shop online.

Hope that helps.       

Thanks, makes sense when you see them like that lolol. 

I haven't gamed in 15 years and bought the Pathfinder Rulebook & PF Advanced Players Guide to get caught up with what is new. My new group wants to play D&D 4th edition and I was wondering if it is simular to Pathfinder with feats, classes, spells, skills being simular?

Is D&D 4th edition about to get revamped anytime soon? I see D&D Next. Is this the upcoming new edition of the rules? How long until 4th edition gets replaced?

As a player, what D&D 4th edition books are recommended for a decent variety of play options? Players Handbook and what other player rulebooks are widely used/recommended?

Thanks,

Dansun
Do you NEED a map and tokens to play? My friends and I don't really want to get into the tactical warfare aspect of the game. To be honest, we just want to experience the feel of the D&D episode of Community Tongue Out.
I am Blue/Green
Hi everyone,

I started playing D&D about 2 months ago.  I've played a few games of D&D, so I know the game pretty well, but now I feel that I'd like to DM a game.  I've always enjoyed writing/storytelling, so I feel I'd be a good match for the position.  However, I have a few questions that may help me get started.

1. What program(s) are recommended for playing online?  I use Maptool currently, but if there is a better option, then by all means, let me know.

2. In one of my first games (version 3.5), I decided to create a monster player character (PC); a lizardfolk paladin, to be specific.  I enjoyed a lot of success with that character, and I'd like to incorporate PC Monsters in some of the campaigns I've come up with.  However, I've yet to come across rules in 4e that would allow that.  Is there a rule I'm missing (like the playable monster rule in 3.5), is the monster just made as a homebrew class, or is there something else that would allow a playable monster in 4e?

3. Is there a program or app that allows for easier or more intuitive dungeon creation (similar to those programs that architects use to make models of houses), and if so, what is recommended (considering I'll be running at least one campaign over the internet)?

Any help regarding this would be great.  Thanks in advance!

-LD
Howdy everyone. I'm somewhat new to D&D and extremly new to the forums.

I started playing about a year and a half ago, so my knowledge of things has a bit to go but I'm looking forward to it. I am currently reading up on Forgotten Realms, since that setting is the one that has captured my eye. I've played a couple of different characters, but by no means am I experienced in any of them =P. Can't wait to really immerse myself into the game and games to come.
Welcome to the community and to D&D Shadow_Geist!  :D