New to D&D? Start here!

286 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, as a cavalier, can i choose paladin powers? how does that work?
So, as a cavalier, can i choose paladin powers? how does that work?

For a cavalier, specifically, anytime you get a choice of utilities or daily attacks, you can choose from any paladin power of the relevant type and level. I don't have Heroes of Shadow, but I think there are even Blackguard powers that fit the criteria you can choose from.

You can choose another power of your class that is of the same type and same or lower level, /if/ the power you want to trade out is one you chose (if you got it at a given level automatically, you can't swap it out), and if the power you want to swap in explicitly has a level. 

Pre-E classes are all pretty simple that way, they all get powers of the same types at the same levels, and always have a choice of powers at those levels - even class features (which may include a power or few) are gained at consistent levels - and, of course, there were no sub-classes to confuse the issue.  Essentials (sub)classes are less consistent, some get a choice of a power of the usual type at a usual level (swapping is straightforward), some get a choice at different levels (generally meaning only lower-level powers of the same type can be swapped in), and some get assigned powers at some levels or no powers at all (no choosing other powers).

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

That sounds a bit screwed up...

How so?

If it says you gain a level 1 power, you gain a level 1 paladin power.
If it says you gain "defender's aura" you gain defender's aura.

So just look at the cavalier level chart.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

A bit.  No worse than most games, they all have their foibles.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

OK, so here goes. Me and some mates are looking to get into D&D. We already kind of have an idea of what we want to play as. One wants to play gnome bard. as far as i know there aint no gnomes or bards in the essential characters. so im guessing we are going player handbooks. so my question is. can you guys please let me know if i got everything right about what we need:

Player handbook 1: basic rules about creating characters?

Player handbook 2 & 3: for more races and classes?

Rules compendium: as far as understand, this contains the core rules and are easy to look up?

For the DM:

DM kit: is there any rules that differ from the DM guides (1&2) intended for PHB, is the rules in this kit intended for essential characters? can i use this kit for the PHB characters? im wondering if this includes any rules at all. it seems i need to get either heroes of ... books or the DM guides?

monster vaults: i understand its quite a few of the monsters from MM1 and 2, with some kind of new stats/numbers. what is that all about? can i play the monster vault monsters against the PHB characters/DM guides? i quite like the tokens!

we already got dice, but quite like tiles!

thanks for all answers!

OK, so here goes. Me and some mates are looking to get into D&D. We already kind of have an idea of what we want to play as. One wants to play gnome bard. as far as i know there aint no gnomes or bards in the essential characters. so im guessing we are going player handbooks. so my question is. can you guys please let me know if i got everything right about what we need:

Player handbook 1: basic rules about creating characters?

Player handbook 2 & 3: for more races and classes?

So far so good.  You probably don't even need PH3, unless someone wants to play a Monk (martial artist) or a really wierd race, like a sentient psychic rock or plant.

Rules compendium: as far as understand, this contains the core rules and are easy to look up?

It's a handy reference, but with the PH1, DMG 1 & 2, and errata, there's not /need/ for it.

For the DM:

DM kit: is there any rules that differ from the DM guides (1&2) intended for PHB, is the rules in this kit intended for essential characters?

The only major rules difference is that magic items are given rarities, and the rules for magic item dailies are gone.  There's also some DMG content that didn't make it into the DMK, most notable rules for designing your own monstes and traps.  The DMGs have excellent DM advice and are still very good resources, even if you do need to consult some errata.

can i use this kit for the PHB characters? im wondering if this includes any rules at all. it seems i need to get either heroes of ... books or the DM guides?

Yes, the DMK includes rules.  Some of them are repeated in the Heros of.. books, and most are in the Rules Compendium - Essentials re-prints the same rules in different books:  the Heroes of___ books so the players are sure to have them, the DM Kit for the DM, and the RC, for ease of reference.  The core books don't have that kind of redundancy, so you need to know what book to find any given rule in.

monster vaults: i understand its quite a few of the monsters from MM1 and 2, with some kind of new stats/numbers. what is that all about? can i play the monster vault monsters against the PHB characters/DM guides? i quite like the tokens!

Yes, the MV monsters are perfectly useable with PH characters.  They might be a little on the butch side if you're not using any of the '_____ Power' books, which give PCs more options.  The MM1 has some pretty flawed monsters (in particular, elites and solos have too-high defenses and too-low damage), MM2 is probably your best bet, given the situation you describe.  MM3 and MV will be good once your players get their feet under them and start building more potent characters.

we already got dice, but quite like tiles!

The tile sets are pretty cool.  I find it's good to have a not too smooth surface to put them on, though - they slide around quite a bit on a typical table or battlemat.  A table cloth, felt, or contact liner (like you use in a kitchen cabinet) works better.

so i was just wondering some good ? to ask my dm durring play
I have a question? where do i go to look for dnd games(or post) near me. i remember there use to be a forum at wizards but i can't find it.
The best way to find gamers is usually to either try and find a local game store and see if they have an "looking for group" board, to try and convince your friends to play or to see if there's any stores that run Encounters or LFR in the area.

There is a board here... somewhere. I can't find it though It's super well hidden. And thus, obviously, not used much. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
I just moved from Seattle WA, to Hoisington KS. >_< most people here haven't even heard of dnd. oh top of that i would have to go 51 miles just to get to a store that sales it.(Wizards lies, they don't sale the red box at wal-mart)
I just moved from Seattle WA, to Hoisington KS. >_< most people here haven't even heard of dnd. oh top of that i would have to go 51 miles just to get to a store that sales it.(Wizards lies, they don't sale the red box at wal-mart)

You could try playing online.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

and where can i go and/or does it cost money. for i am's poor
Maptools is free. As is several chat programs (ventrillo, skype). Just need a computer and an internet connection.

As for where to find players... dunno, but they exsist. I suggest searching google.

guides
Power
my builds

The best way to find gamers is usually to either try and find a local game store and see if they have an "looking for group" board, to try and convince your friends to play or to see if there's any stores that run Encounters or LFR in the area.

There is a board here... somewhere. I can't find it though It's super well hidden. And thus, obviously, not used much. 

RPG player classifieds.

community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7585...

Maybe the original poster can put the link there?   

Hello.  Some friends and I are thinking about starting a group.  We're looking for something fun to do.  My brother played a little in high school.  I rolled a few characters with him back then.  But neither of us took it very seriously.  Other than that, the whole group is new to the game.  Some of them have never had any rpg experience.  So I'm just looking for a little start up info.  

It looks like the best way to go is simply to pick up the starter kit.  Is this true?  Will it be necessary for us to buy any other books before we can begin?  I've been looking all over the place, and the cost for buying materials could add up pretty quickly.  I'd like to keep that cost to a minimun until we can figure out if this group is gonna fly or not.  Some of these people may decide that D&D is way too cool for them, and go slinking back to their boring, non-rpg lives.

I realize that these questions are exactly what this thread was created to address, but it gets confusing very quickly when I start to look at essential vs core rule books, etc.  

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.  

Hello.  Some friends and I are thinking about starting a group.  We're looking for something fun to do.  My brother played a little in high school.  I rolled a few characters with him back then.  But neither of us took it very seriously.  Other than that, the whole group is new to the game.  Some of them have never had any rpg experience.  So I'm just looking for a little start up info.  

It looks like the best way to go is simply to pick up the starter kit.  Is this true?  Will it be necessary for us to buy any other books before we can begin?  I've been looking all over the place, and the cost for buying materials could add up pretty quickly.  I'd like to keep that cost to a minimun until we can figure out if this group is gonna fly or not.  Some of these people may decide that D&D is way too cool for them, and go slinking back to their boring, non-rpg lives.  

If you're not deeply into the nostalgic feel of D&D like it was 'back in the day,' and are introducing other, genuinely-new players, then the Players Handbook is probably the stronger intro to the game.  It gives you more information - everything a player needs, all the rules you likely need in play - and covers a nice range of classes. 

You can start with the starter set, of course, but it's a tad redundant if you're going to go on and buy the PH later. There's also quickstart rules and free adventures on-line here (just ignore the boardgame stuff, d/l quickstart rules and H1).

Either way, you /can/ mix some core 4e and Essentials stuff with good results.  The Player's Handbook (PH1) is the best place to start, and the DMG is still a very good resources.  The Monster Manual is a bit out of date, and the MM3 or Monster Vault (which is a boxed set with tokens - very convenient) could be better choices. 

I realize that these questions are exactly what this thread was created to address, but it gets confusing very quickly when I start to look at essential vs core rule books, etc.

The whole core vs essentials thing is a rift among longtime fans of the game.  4e made some improvements to the game - made it easier to learn, easier to play, a lot easier to run, and a bit harder to 'abuse' - at the cost of a number of 'sacred cows' that had defined the feel of the game for a long time.  There was much nerdrage and angst.

In response, WotC launched Essentials, which dragged the game back to some it's earlier feel, losing some of the progress made in the process, of course.  Essentials turned out to be a great re-introduction to modern D&D for longtime D&Ders who haven't ever played 3e or 4e, though, and I've had good results using it that way.  I find new players do better with the core game, because it's aproach, particularly to characters & classes, is more consistent.

It bascily comes down to a style difference.  Essentials being more streamlined at the cost of customability, and the core being more customizabe, but requiring more effort to make.

You can use either, or both.  It's still the same game.  Though i highly recommend the Rules Compendium.  Much nicer to have all the rules in one book then spread out over 3.  Plus it's updated, so it covers some corner cases they didn't initally think of, and cleaned up some wording.

guides
Power
my builds

It bascily comes down to a style difference.  Essentials being more streamlined at the cost of customability,

class balance, and consistency...

and the core being more customizabe, but requiring more effort to make.

You make the same number of choices in core with any class - slightly fewer than with an Essentials Mage, for perspective.   Essentials if more varied, Mages have a lot of choice, warpriests less, martial classes a lot less, and everyone else somewhere in between.  In 4e all classes are created equal, so you can play whatever concept you want, rather than having to restrict your choice based on how much customizeability (and abuseability) you want.

It looks like the best way to go is simply to pick up the starter kit.  Is this true?  Will it be necessary for us to buy any other books before we can begin?

You can start for free by downloading the adveture H1 Keep on the Shadowfell from www.wizards.com/dnd/files/h1.pdf, character sheets (both empty and pre-made ones) from www.wizards.com/dnd/Tool.aspx?x=dnd/4new..., and quick start rules from www.wizards.com/dnd/TryDnD.aspx.

The second cheapest option is to buy the starter kit (aka Red Box), which also gives you dice, hero and monster tokens, maps, and two adventures. Note that the first adventure in the Red Box should probably not be counted as an adventure. It is more of a series of loosely structured encounters that help you create a character and learn the basic game mechanics. This is written as a solo adventure, so each player in your group will have to go through it by him- or herself. Unfortunately, this portion of the Red Box is marred by poor editing and a bunch of errors. The second adventure is designed for a party of level 1 adventurers and one dungeon master, and is more of a traditional dungeon romp.

A problem with the Red Box, is that it was developed before the Essentials rules were finalized, so many things that exist in the Red Box don't exist in the game you will transition to after starting. But you can re-create your characters using the Essentials rules (or the core 4e rules) afterwards, or adapt them, or simply create new characters after you are done with the Red Box. Even if you use the quick start rules from the link above, you will note that some of the rules have changed.

When you are ready to invest more money, I would recommend the Essentials products Heroes of Forgotten Lands, Heroes of Forgotten Kingdoms, the Rules Compendium, and the Monster Vault (if you need tokens), and one subscription to Dungeons & Dragons Insider (DDi). The latter will give you access to the Character Builder, which makes it very easy to build new characters, and the Compendium, which has all monsters, treasures, and other game features.
Hey there.

New to 4e and am looking to get started with a game/campaign.  Last time I DMed was 3.5 working with Heroes of Horror, but that's been awhile.  I've done some GMing for other games since then, but 4e D&D seems like it has more potential of getting up and running in a short amount of time (I'm pretty sure the last game I ran had the players spending one session just creating characters...oy).

First thing is, after looking into a bit, I want to get the DM Kit.  It has a screen, some tokens, some maps, and a decent-sounding adventure.  What I can't determine is what sort of rules are in the DM Kit.  I'm sure I need more than just that to get started, but I'm not sure what I need.

What's going to be most useful to get in conjunction with the DM Kit?  The Rules Compendium doesn't seem to get too deep into character creation, and I'm sure there's some overlap with the DM Kit.  At the same time, while the Heroes of _____ books seem to cover races and classes well, are there any other gaps that they're missing?

I'm going to have to order the books online, since the only ones in stock around here are rather...well-used.  I've gotten so many mixed reviews of the various products that I'm not sure where to start (Note: We've all done some RPing before, so I don't want to bore everyone with the Red Box). I know I want to pick up the DM Kit, so it's just a matter of finding what's going to be most useful as an add-on to that.

Thanks! 
The DM's Kit plus either of the Heroes of books will be enough to get you started.

When you've got the hang of and start making your own adventures, be sure to pick up the Monster Vault for lots more critters and tokens, as well as adventures that follow up on the adventures in the DM's Kit.

The Rules Compendium is a super handy reference at the table for both you, the DM, and your players.

All around helpful simian

4e D&D seems like it has more potential of getting up and running in a short amount of time.

Yep, it does make the DMs job a lot easier, though that's been changing, a bit, in the later stuff, including the DM kit...

First thing is, after looking into a bit, I want to get the DM Kit.  It has a screen, some tokens, some maps, and a decent-sounding adventure.  What I can't determine is what sort of rules are in the DM Kit.  I'm sure I need more than just that to get started, but I'm not sure what I need.

The 4e line has split, with Core (Player Handbook, DM Guide, Monster Manual) on one side, and Essentials on the other.  They're nominally compatible, and probably the /best/ way to get started is to use some of each. 

As a general rule, the DM stuff from Essentials is better, and the player's stuff from Core is better.

More specifically, the Monster Vault is great, with challenging, well-developed monsters, tokens for said monsters, and a mini-adventure.  The DM Kit also has those nice extras, but introduces some changes to the handling of magic items that make the DMs life harder, as well as some refinements to skill challenges that make those more functional.    The Player's Handbook, though there's a lot of bits of errata out for it, is a very good and complete resource for players.  It also includes the Core aproach to magic items (limited use of item dailies/no 'rarity'), and a selection of mostly pretty safe (with errata) items to give out.

So, that's maybe the ideal:  Monster Vault, DM Kit, and PH.  Let the players build from the PH, and use the magic item rules from there.  Everything else you need, including two adventures, is in the DMK and MV.

Great! Thanks folks.  I'll put in an order for my DM Kit and one of the Heroes of books for my own reference and let the players decide if they want the PHB as well (that one's plentiful enough in stores for us to have no trouble finding it in a pinch).

The Monster Vault was definitely on my list for second tier purchasing - those tokens are going to be a godsend, I can tell (far, far less miniature-buying and painting for this guy).

As for the Heroes of books, any recommendations on where to start?  Were I playing instead of DMing, I'd lean towards Forgotten Kingdoms as it covers the races and classes I'm more prone to playing, but Fallen Lands seems to cover the more "iconic" options.  I know the girls in the group are more likely to aim for magic-using characters, so would Fallen Lands be better if I'm trying to keep the session cheap and cheerful?
Without knowing the preferences of your players, its hard to say.  I have both as I enjoy a wide range of options.  ;)

Fallen Lands is the safer bet when it comes to more "iconic" D&D races and classes.

Forgotten Kingdoms will give you some slighly more exotic options while still staying within classic D&D archtypes.

All around helpful simian

Okay then, I'm looking to get into 4th Edition.  The question is, what books should/shouldn't I get?

To clarify: I'm planning on DMing some games once I get ahold of the system, so I had already planned on getting the trifecta of Player's Handbook, DMG, and Monster Manual.  Then I noticed that both the DMG and Monster Manual had special "kits" available for sale: the DMG had the Dungeon Master's Kit, and the Monster Manual had the Monster Vault.  Are these straight-up improvements to the original books? Should I even bother getting the original books when these products are available?

In addition to this, there are several other questions I've got.  I had planned on getting the 2nd Player's Handbook, as it featured some stuff that was apparently missing from the first book, as well as the third Monster Manual, which is supposed to be really good.  However, the third player's handbook looks like it's not my thing... except for the updated hybrid class rules.  Are these rules worth getting the whole book over?  Keep in mind that I don't really plan on using any of the other content (minotaurs and psychic stuff? Odd mix) so I'd be getting the book for just those rules.

Speaking of Rules, the Rules Compendium.  I've heard many people sing its praises, but I'd like a more detailed explanation about why I should get it.  Is it just a REALLY good rule guide?  Can people pass on it if they're familiar enough with jury-rigging rules to the situation at hand?

Lastly, there's the issue of the Heroes books and the power expansion books (Arcane Power, Primal Power, etc.)  I'd like some opinions about which ones are more "essential" than others.  I plan on getting both Heroes books at some point, but which one should I get first if I had to choose?  I also heard rumors that Arcane Power is especially useful because mage-types apparently suffer from a lack of options in the default books: is this true?

That's all the questions I have for now. 
Okay then, I'm looking to get into 4th Edition.  The question is, what books should/shouldn't I get?

To clarify: I'm planning on DMing some games once I get ahold of the system, so I had already planned on getting the trifecta of Player's Handbook, DMG, and Monster Manual.  Then I noticed that both the DMG and Monster Manual had special "kits" available for sale: the DMG had the Dungeon Master's Kit, and the Monster Manual had the Monster Vault.  Are these straight-up improvements to the original books? Should I even bother getting the original books when these products are available?

Pretty nearly, yes.  The Monster Vault doesn't have quite as many monsters, but they're mechanically more up to date, and you get an adventure, map, and counters for all the monsters, so you don't need a huge collection of monster minis, and don't find yourself resorting to 'this d12 is a dragon..' so much. ;)

The DM Kit, likewise, includes a bonus adventure, poster map for it, and some tokens.  It has /most/ of the information that the DMG has, and some of it is more up-to-date.  It also makes a few substantive changes to the game relative to the DMG that make some extra work for the DM, maybe leave a few pitfalls that mightn't otherwise be there.  If you already have the DMG, you can always ignore them... if you don't, getting both would be redundant.  It's not a big deal, either way.  You should be fine either way. 

In addition to this, there are several other questions I've got.  I had planned on getting the 2nd Player's Handbook, as it featured some stuff that was apparently missing from the first book, as well as the third Monster Manual, which is supposed to be really good.

The MM3 is good, as is the Monster Vault - they're the recent ones.  The MM3 is just a book, though, and MV has more 'classic' and heroic-level monsters, good for starting up a campaign.

However, the third player's handbook looks like it's not my thing... except for the updated hybrid class rules.  Are these rules worth getting the whole book over?

Not really.  The classes and races in PH3 are all pretty marginal.

Speaking of Rules, the Rules Compendium.  I've heard many people sing its praises, but I'd like a more detailed explanation about why I should get it.  Is it just a REALLY good rule guide?
Can people pass on it if they're familiar enough with jury-rigging rules to the situation at hand?

Yes, it's just a handy reference book.  You can pass on it if you're good at picking up rules and don't need to look 'em up often, or if you plan to have the PH and DMG/Kit at the table every session.

Lastly, there's the issue of the Heroes books and the power expansion books (Arcane Power, Primal Power, etc.)  I'd like some opinions about which ones are more "essential" than others.

Powers books are good, if you want to expand the given source involved.  The first three 'Heroes of...' books are pretty aweful.  The first two re-tread existing classes in less balanced, less consistent, ways - some are pretty awesome (broken) some are pretty crappy.  The third, HoS, is just aweful, badly done from cover to cover, no redeeming value.  They really hit their stride on the fourth one, though - so hopefully that line will continue to get better going forwad - Heroes of the Feywild has new builds (sub-classes) that don't just re-do existing concepts with poorly thought-out mechanics, some good stuff for existing races, a few themes and the like...  races aren't so stellar, two unremarkable, one broken (pixie - though it'd be find once your campaign is out of heroic, in the heroic tier it's just asking for trouble).  

I also heard rumors that Arcane Power is especially useful because mage-types apparently suffer from a lack of options in the default books: is this true?

No.  Not even a little.  It does have some feats that can stack up some fair damage bonuses, and the new (and classic) spells in it are nice (only a few really broken or useless ones).

I Googled the basics on Core and Essential 4th edition and I have to admit that it's still a bit puzzling. The original purpose for Essentials seems to have been to simplify an already "simple" game (by D&D terms) yet the write up goes on to say that the Essential's line went on to revise Core rules and update various aspects. 

I suppose my question is if Core is still being published or is it ALL Essential now...thus making Essential "Core"?  
I Googled the basics on Core and Essential 4th edition and I have to admit that it's still a bit puzzling. The original purpose for Essentials seems to have been to simplify an already "simple" game (by D&D terms) yet the write up goes on to say that the Essential's line went on to revise Core rules and update various aspects. 

I suppose my question is if Core is still being published or is it ALL Essential now...thus making Essential "Core"?  

Everything (except settings) is "core".
Essentials reworded a number of rules, but it's still the same game.
Essentials classes can be used along side pre-essentials classes.

A few (not all) of the essentials classes are simple to play.

guides
Power
my builds

Core is still in print.  With the inclusion of any 'update documents' (ongoing, extensive errata), any published 4e book, in print or not, remains useable with the rest of 4e, including Essentials. 

If you're not using Essentials, there are a few 'updates' that you'd want to ignore - you wouldn't worry about which items are 'common,' for instance, and wouldn't need to change Magic Missle or concern yourself with wizard-spell school keywords, or take to calling the fighter in your party a 'Weapon Master (Fighter).'

or take to calling the fighter in your party a 'Weapon Master (Fighter).'

Heh who calls any character by there class name... He is a Thane not a Warlord, by garsh.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I have been out of D&D for maybe the last 18 months or so and just getting back in now, I am trying to figure out how the Essentials line works in to character creation and not getting any good answers from either searches or my local game store.

If I am making a Warlock for the Encounters program on Wednesdays am I limited to the ability/builds shown in the Essential guide or can I take powers from the PHB? The DM at Encounters made it sound like I had to stick to the Essential build/options but some of the pre-gens seemed to take from the PHB. I initially wanted to play an Invoker but they are not listed in the Essential books and could not be used for Encounters was the explanation I got

I know the local DM will have to ok anything I bring to the table but in general should I view Essentials as a supplement/extra options for characters? Something I can mix and match with PHB created characters?

I'm new to D&D and am looking to DM for a group of friends whom have also never played before (the books I am using are the Dungeon master guide, the MM1, and the players hand book).  The initial dungeon is made and all of the encounters within it are ready (although reading some of the comments from another thread I see that my MM1 was probably not a good purchase as it looks like the monster vault book supersedes it).  Anyway, I figure since I only have the one players hand book I would get power cards to supplement our game and make it so we don't drag out combat having to pass a single book around a table of 6 people.

I'm looking on line to purchase the cards but am getting confused.  First there is the Players Hand book set:
www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/p...
These are the ones I think I need.  They are for the players hand book that I purchased.  Unfortunately, through all of my searching this item seems to be discontinued (there are people selling this boxed set but every seller I have come across online wants a boat load of cash for it.).

So instead I am looking to purchase the packs individually as they seem easier to come by:

But then I saw these packs:

...They seem like they might be the same thing but I can't tell for sure (the descriptions aren't that helpful).  Which ones do I want?

As well, is my dungeon going to be too hard based on the fact that I used MM1?

Thanks for hearing me out guys.

I have been out of D&D for maybe the last 18 months or so and just getting back in now, I am trying to figure out how the Essentials line works in to character creation and not getting any good answers from either searches or my local game store.

Essentials is a specific product line, particularly aimed at new gamers.  They're nominally compatible, but cover a lot of the same ground as the core three PH, MM, & DMG.  In the case of the 'Monster Vault' they cover that ground better.  In the case of the player materials, not so much. 

If I am making a Warlock for the Encounters program on Wednesdays am I limited to the ability/builds shown in the Essential guide or can I take powers from the PHB?

The Encounters-legal character guidelines are different each season.  This season, it's Essentials + Heroes of the Feywild.  So, you can use stuff from Heroes of the Forgotten Kindgom, Heroes of the Fallen Land, or Heroes of the Feywild.  And, you can also use Dragon material that /specifically/ expands on stuff from Essentials (like a Pyromancer, for instance).

The DM at Encounters made it sound like I had to stick to the Essential build/options but some of the pre-gens seemed to take from the PHB. I initially wanted to play an Invoker but they are not listed in the Essential books and could not be used for Encounters was the explanation I got

Your DM is correct.  The pre-gens are Essentials-only, and have been used for 3 seasons now, IIRC.

I know the local DM will have to ok anything I bring to the table but in general should I view Essentials as a supplement/extra options for characters? Something I can mix and match with PHB created characters?

For Encounters, Essentials + the latest thing being pushed that season, is it.  Your DM /can/ allow in anything, if he wants.  Outside of Encounters, Essentials is just another source - you can use or not use as you see fit. 

I'm new to D&D and am looking to DM for a group of friends whom have also never played before (the books I am using are the Dungeon master guide, the MM1, and the players hand book).  The initial dungeon is made and all of the encounters within it are ready (although reading some of the comments from another thread I see that my MM1 was probably not a good purchase as it looks like the monster vault book supersedes it).

Technically, the MM1 is still a valid source for monsters.  It's just not quite as good as later ones - it was one of the first books out, and the monsters missed the mark slightly - most doing too little damage, for one example, and Elites and Solos having too-high defenses, for another.  It's useable, though.  It might be hard to challenge experienced players building 'drink from the firehose' characters with the MM1, but it'll be fine for a set of new players.  Even Elites and solos are OK - just don't use any more than a level or two above the party, or combats could drag.

I'm looking on line to purchase the cards but am getting confused.  First there is the Players Hand book set:
These are the ones I think I need.  They are for the players hand book that I purchased.  Unfortunately, through all of my searching this item seems to be discontinued (there are people selling this boxed set but every seller I have come across online wants a boat load of cash for it.).

So instead I am looking to purchase the packs individually as they seem easier to come by:

I don't know that you 'need' these.  There are alternatives.  For one, your players should quickly become familiar with their at-will and encounter powers, and not have to look them up all the time.  Until then (and for dailies) there's the option of simply copying the powers down - onto a sheet or onto index cards.  Not as pretty, but not really much of a problem, a starting character only has a few powers.  There's also the Character Builder on DDI.  The current one is on-line only (the old one was useable offline, and was consequently pirated - obviously, you wouldn't want to go and Torrent some pirated CB) so it's available while your DDI sub is current.  There are similar third-party programs that let you create 'cards,' which is just a fancier way of copying down your powers - heck, a word processor lets you make prefectly presentalbe 'card sheets' like the ones the CB outputs.

But then I saw these packs:

...They seem like they might be the same thing but I can't tell for sure (the descriptions aren't that helpful).  Which ones do I want?

Nope.  These cards are for the 'Divine Power' suplement, they have no PH powers in 'em.

As well, is my dungeon going to be too hard based on the fact that I used MM1?

Not at all.  If your players are using just the PH1 it should be quite challenging.  Just be cautious of higher-level Elites and Solos.  You might, in fact, find that combats are a little easy, you can always up monster damage a bit to make 'em a little scarier.

Thanks for the help Tony_Vargas.
So I recently purchased the Red Box and I must say I love it, a nice read and a fun game to boot.  I ran through the solo side and am working on running my wife through it.  My hopes are to have a few of my co-workers run through it also to build their characters and end up DMing a group of four people.  I purchased the DM kit and will be getting it Monday (I can't wait).  My question is should I continue to purchase the monster vault, and other 4e books since I see talk of a new edition coming out.  Also if my group plans dont pan out how active is the VT?  I would gladly pay $10 a month for some good games.
No idea about the VTT.

5e is probably a couple of years away, and for all we know, it may suck.  No reason you can't play now.

One obvious option is to just pick up the Rules Compendium and a DDI subscription.  When 5e comes out, if you like it, drop DDI and start buying 5e books.  If it sucks, start buying 4e books on ebay. 

:shrug:

Or you could just not worry about it and get whatever books interest you.  Where it might get a little wierd is the 4e/Essentials divide, since it created a lot of redundnacy.

Heroes of the Fallen Land and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom, for instance, are player-oriented books that the Red Box points you at.  They are redundant - a lot of basic information is in both - but, you need both to get a reasonable selection of classes and races.  They're also /both/ redundant with the Player's Handbook, which gives you even more basic rules information, and a broader selection of races and classes.

Similarly, DM Kit and DMG 1 & 2 has some redundancy.  DM Kit gives you a module, maps and tokens, though, so it a pretty fair deal.    Likewise, Monster Vault & Monster Manual 1 - again, the Monster Vault is newer and has an adventure & tokens - and has better write-ups of many of the same monsters.

With the basics of Player's Handbook, DMG or DM Kit, and a Monster Vault, you could run 4e until 5e comes out with an investment of less than $100.

So I recently purchased the Red Box and I must say I love it, a nice read and a fun game to boot.  I ran through the solo side and am working on running my wife through it.  My hopes are to have a few of my co-workers run through it also to build their characters and end up DMing a group of four people.  I purchased the DM kit and will be getting it Monday (I can't wait).  My question is should I continue to purchase the monster vault, and other 4e books since I see talk of a new edition coming out.  Also if my group plans dont pan out how active is the VT?  I would gladly pay $10 a month for some good games.

You can always play online at myrpg for free if you need a vtt. As long as you don't mind using Microlite20 instead of full blown D&D.
Play D&D online at MyRPG :D:D Check out a gameplay video here: MyRPG Demo Video