New to D&D? Start here!

286 posts / 0 new
Last post
1.  Grids: are using a 5' square grid essental to the rules or could you use a gridless system in feet without to much ruleset problems.....I feel grid maps lead to more box like dungeons, like the dreaded square that is cut by a wall.

You could certainly use feet.  The grid brings a certain simplicity, but if you're quick with a tapemeasure, there's no need to stick to it.  For instance, a burst 3 would just affect everyone w/in 15' of the point of origin (17.5' if you want to be a stickler), and a blast 3 would just affect everyone within the same distance, through an arc of 90 degrees.  You could take a creature's 'square' as just the space it's mini occupies.

Weapons: I must have missed this when I scanned the rules, but can the classes use any weapon, unlike the old AD&D where classes could use only set weapons

Classes have a list of starting weapon proficiencies, but nothing restricts them from using some other weapon if they need to or spend a feat to gain proficiency.  However, some class powers and some feats work only with specific weapon groups (or even specific weapons).

If I have the core books and a player has the essentals , what rule overides the other (officaly), or do I just throw out I am the DM so I say it is this rule (sometimes players hate that)

Officially, Essentials is the latest thing, to generally takes precedence.  To be perfectly official, use the latest 'update' (errata document, available on-line) to the books you're using.  (One exception, the magic-item rules in Essentials aren't quite fully realized as yet, so even the designers say to stick with the 'treasure parcel' system in the DMG.)  Of course, as DM, you can cut off the rules anywhere you want, sticking to only those books you have, and picking and choosing whether (or which) errata to use.

(also related) Is there anybooks that set rules to allow your character to procede past 30th level or is 30 the defacto end of your character.

Nope.  30 is the end of advancement in the ruleset as it stands.  Actually, it seems like campaigns mostly cover Heroic, less often Paragon, and Epic level play is actually kinda rare - there's not a lot of good support for it.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Hi everyone.  I'm not exactly new to D&D but I'm definitely new to this edition.  I'm sort of coming back into "new" D&D after about an 8-year hiatus (the 3.5 launch turned me off to it, coming so soon after 3.0 as it did.)  I've been playing in a 2nd edition game on and off for a few years but now I'll be joining a group at my local game store and I want to show up prepared.  Frankly, the amount of content here is mind-boggling.  Bear in mind that: 
-I am familiar with role-playing games and D&D itself, but
-I have no clue what the difference is between an essential and a core rulebook (they sound like the same thing to me!)
 Can anybody point me in the right direction to start playing 4e quickly?  I was planning on picking up the PHB but now I don't even know if that's the place to start.  Any help would be much appreciated.
Hi, Hachiman21,

It kinda depends.  Do you have a local game you want to join?  If so, talk to them (especially the DM) and ask what they focus on.

If not, try downloading the starter rules and first published scenario here, and give it a road test this evening with friends!
======= Balesir
Thanks Balesir...the game I'm joining is a Dark Sun game.  I'm definitely planning on picking up the Dark Sun campaign book, as I'm pretty sure I'd like to play a mul, but beyond  that I'm stumped.  I've been told the game focuses on character interaction but will also be pretty combat heavy.

I guess my main concern is making sure I have the right rules without going broke or spending a bunch of money on redundant books.  I know I want the psionics rules (it's Athas) - do I need the Psionic Power book or are they in one of the PHBs?  Do you need both Essentials Heroes books to have all the races and classes from one PHB?  What about the most accurate combat rules?  From what I've read, those would be in Essentials.  I'm just worried that I'm going to end up spending three hundred dollars on a bunch of books that have 75% of their content in common.

Thanks for all your help,

I went to the errata files and my jaw dropped, man my head might explode trying to remember all those tid bits, So the essentials might find its way on my bookshelf someday...but first a few questions

1. This might sound trivial, but  I like the hardbound books will the essentials ever be hard bound books or will they stay softbound? I feel Hardbound books look sharp on a bookshelf. Softbound just don't match the others.. (shallow and trivial I know...maybe a little weird too Wink..)

2. If I buy the Essentials will that copy be up to date with errata, or better said errors or changes that happened after  it was released?

3. I subscribed to D&D insider and noticed the rules comprehendion (butchered that word) says It has all the up to date rules, looked it up a entry and the page was short and to the point.  I this the way the essentials books are rules packed into a tiny format, lacking explanations and such?

4. I am curious how some of you handle the errata. print it out, make a book , just look it up, etc...

Thanks

1) No, at least there's no plan to.  Though your not the only one to complain (though a fair amount enjoy the paper back too).

2) Yes.  Any new book has the errata built in.  Note however, that they are mostly new material (the rules compendium is all the core rules, which where already around, but updated).  The fighter from the player's handbook is different fighter from the one in hero's of forgoten land.  You can play either one.

3) Essentials books have more "in game" explination then previous books (called "fluff" on the boards).  The online compendium is pretty sparse on reason, and doesn't have any story elements.  It's very dry.  Note also, they you don't have to stick to the in game explination.  You can say your magic missile is a blue bolt, a flaming skull, or a watermellon.  Though mechanicly it will be the same.

4) Generally, you can ignore the errata and just play as written.  Then when an issue comes up, see if they updated it.  Errata makes the game a little better, but doesn't change the nature of it.  However, if you use the online character builder / compendium, everything is up to date.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I guess my main concern is making sure I have the right rules without going broke or spending a bunch of money on redundant books.  I know I want the psionics rules (it's Athas) - do I need the Psionic Power book or are they in one of the PHBs?  Do you need both Essentials Heroes books to have all the races and classes from one PHB?  What about the most accurate combat rules?  From what I've read, those would be in Essentials.  I'm just worried that I'm going to end up spending three hundred dollars on a bunch of books that have 75% of their content in common.

Hmm, as the last setting produced before Essentials, DS is a bit messy, I'm afraid.  Let's see if I can give some helpful info...

The base psionic classes etc. are in PHB3; that's probably a good option for you.  Maybe PHB1, as DS was written for the classes in that (although there is another option I'll explain later).

One book is, in my view, an absolute must: The Rules Compendium.  It has all the actual rules (but not any of the character options) updated to the latest version.  A great little book for the actual games rules, but with no races, classes, feats, powers or what have you.

Other than that, the DS Campaign would certainly be handy; Psionic Power has plenty more options for Psionic characters, but unless you intend to really major in Psi is probably more than you need.  PHB2, for extra races and classes, is also an option but not really required.

Other approaches: you could go with the "Heroes of the XXX" books instead of the PHB1, and collect up the "PHB Classes Revised" articles available on the main D&D site.  This would leave gaps (basic/original rogue and ranger, mainly), but would give you the rules with errata already included.  The errata is available free, so this isn't really a money issue, but a preferences one.

Finally, you could start out with just a D&D Insider subscription.  This would give access to the compendium (all the rules - although the little RC book would still be handy for during play) and the character builder (with all the classes, races and other options available to print out as a character sheet and power cards for your own, built character.

Take your pick!  Either you'll love the game (in which case you'll probably want to get everything, eventually) or not (in which case the Rules Compendium plus a few months of DDI is probably the smallest investment to find that out!).  I hope it's the former!
======= Balesir
I'll be joining a group at my local game store and I want to show up prepared.  
-I have no clue what the difference is between an essential and a core rulebook (they sound like the same thing to me!)
 Can anybody point me in the right direction to start playing 4e quickly?  I was planning on picking up the PHB but now I don't even know if that's the place to start.  Any help would be much appreciated.

The PH1 is still the best place to start for an experienced D&Der, if you really want to get a good understanding of 4e.  But, if you're primarily interested in joining a specific game, you obviously want to start with the version of the game they're playing.

If the game and your FLGS is part of the 'D&D Encounters' program, then it is Essentials, and you'll want to start with the Heroes of the Fallen Land or Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom (I'm only just getting to where I can keep those straight, myself).  You don't need both, in fact they have some redundant content - HotFL contains classic D&D character stuff (fighter, magic-user, theif, cleric, human, dwarf, halfling, elf).  HotFK has slightly less classic stuff (paladin, hexblade, druid, drow, half-elf, half-orc, teifling, dragonborn).  Either is a valid starting point, though, because both cover the basics of creating & playing a character.  Encounters goes from level 1-3 in a 13 week season, then does it again with a different adventure.  It's fun, casual gaming, and I'd reccomend it, even though I'm not crazy about Essentials.

If it's anything else, you'll have to ask them what they're running, and what's permitted at the table.  Chances are it'll either be 'Essentials only' or '4e only' (everything prior to Essentials - maybe restricted to certain books or a given setting) or 'drink from the firehose' (both).  If it's 'Essentials only,' start with HotFL (or HotFK, if you really want to play one of the races or classes it covers), if it's anything else, start with the Players Handbook

I'm definitely planning on picking up the Dark Sun campaign book, as I'm pretty sure I'd like to play a mul, but beyond  that I'm stumped.  I've been told the game focuses on character interaction but will also be pretty combat heavy.

I guess my main concern is making sure I have the right rules without going broke or spending a bunch of money on redundant books.  I know I want the psionics rules (it's Athas) - do I need the Psionic Power book or are they in one of the PHBs? 

You'll want the Dark Sun campaign book (unfortunately, it also includes a lot of DM material that you don't need).  You'll also need the Player's Handbook 1 for basic rules, races & classes, and probably the Player's Handbook 3 for the Psionic races and classes.  Psionic Power is an additional set of resources that expands on the classes in PH3 - more powers, more feats, etc.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

1. This might sound trivial, but  I like the hardbound books will the essentials ever be hard bound books or will they stay softbound? I feel Hardbound books look sharp on a bookshelf. Softbound just don't match the others.. (shallow and trivial I know...maybe a little weird too ..)

Softbound/digest for the forseable future.

2. If I buy the Essentials will that copy be up to date with errata, or better said errors or changes that happened after  it was released?

Essentials is as up-to-date as anything in print.  Essentials has already received some errata, and there will doubtless be more.  In general, WotC has not done second printings with errata included, though.  They don't want to encourage people to wait for the 'clean' version, as there will probably never be one.

3. I subscribed to D&D insider and noticed the rules comprehendion (butchered that word) says It has all the up to date rules, looked it up a entry and the page was short and to the point.  I this the way the essentials books are rules packed into a tiny format, lacking explanations and such?

No, if anything Essentials gest a little verbose.  The print 'Rules Compendium' is an Essentials manual with /just/ rules (no character, monster or DM stuff, /just/ rules), it's a good complement to a DDI subscription.

4. I am curious how some of you handle the errata. print it out, make a book , just look it up, etc...

To be honest, most of the time, I ignore the errata.  When something pops up that seems really broken, unclear, or questionable, I'll check to see if it's been errata'd.  If something's not broke, no need to look up the fix. 

Hi. I was wondering if the "3d table" offered with dnd insider is strictly for online play, or can I have it on a single pc and play with my friends?
Hi. I was wondering if the "3d table" offered with dnd insider is strictly for online play, or can I have it on a single pc and play with my friends?

There is no "3d table" as far as i'm aware.

There's a 2d virtual table in the works.  Supposedly it works alright, and you can import your characters directly from the character builder.  I don't know how easy it is to do on one PC, but i don't see why you couldn't.

Also, there's maptools.  Which is free, and can be used on a single PC (we put it up on a big screen TV).  The basics are really easy to use, and it has support for all sorts of advanced stuff, if you know what your doing (i.e. can code macro's).

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

There's a 2d virtual table in the works.  Supposedly it works alright, and you can import your characters directly from the character builder.  I don't know how easy it is to do on one PC, but i don't see why you couldn't.

Also, there's maptools.  Which is free, and can be used on a single PC (we put it up on a big screen TV).  The basics are really easy to use, and it has support for all sorts of advanced stuff, if you know what your doing (i.e. can code macro's).

Ah my bad. I meant the 2d table that you can "spin around in 3d space".

I'll look into the maptools. But it would've been convenient to just have everything in one place. Making characters seems very complicated for us so I figured we could at least subscribe for the characer builder and then apply for the virtual table beta while we use a free map tool.

Just how impossible is it to get in the beta?

I'll look into the maptools. But it would've been convenient to just have everything in one place. Making characters seems very complicated for us so I figured we could at least subscribe for the characer builder and then apply for the virtual table beta while we use a free map tool.

I'm still not sure what you mean by 3d space...  You can zoom in and out and pan around.  You might be able to spin (i don't think maptools can), but it's a flat image with layers.

As far as i'm aware, it's a pretty open beta.  I think (could definatly be wrong) you just have to have DDI and request it.

Anyways, i suggest you try maptools out first.  See if you're group is ok with staring at the monitor and moving tokens around with a mouse.  The basics will be the similar with WoTC's table, and you wouldn't of wasted money if your player's enjoy mini's, or can't all comfortably reach the mouse.

Of course, the character builder is worth the price by iteself (IMO), so you might want to get DDI anyways.

guides
Power
my builds

I'm still not sure what you mean by 3d space...  You can zoom in and out and pan around.  You might be able to spin (i don't think maptools can), but it's a flat image with layers.

As far as i'm aware, it's a pretty open beta.  I think (could definatly be wrong) you just have to have DDI and request it.

Anyways, i suggest you try maptools out first.  See if you're group is ok with staring at the monitor and moving tokens around with a mouse.  The basics will be the similar with WoTC's table, and you wouldn't of wasted money if your player's enjoy mini's, or can't all comfortably reach the mouse.

Of course, the character builder is worth the price by iteself (IMO), so you might want to get DDI anyways.

Thank you!

And judging by the old preview videos posted years ago you can spin around the map. I am aware ofthe fact that the maptools one is 2d but that is alright.

Think I'll just sub for a month and make characters in the editor. Then try and play on with the maptools program.

My group is actually an online group and we play with Maptools.  It works pretty good, it's actually easier to keep track of marks and statuses than I'd imagine it would be on a real table.
Hi im new to d&d and have been doing some research. I have one major question. Do you have to have the tiles and minis? every tutorial has them but my friend said we dont need them. but the players handbook mentions square distance and whatnot every once in a while. Please help with the confusion. 
Hi im new to d&d and have been doing some research. I have one major question. Do you have to have the tiles and minis? every tutorial has them but my friend said we dont need them. but the players handbook mentions square distance and whatnot every once in a while. Please help with the confusion. 

You do not need the 'Tile' products that are part of the Essentials line.  You can use any ~1" grid.  There are purpose-made 'battlemats' that are wet-erase vinyl with grids or hexes that are ideal, but you can use larger graph papers, make your own grid, or just measure distances (with a tapemeasure or string) rather than use a grid.  Gridded surfaces are just convenient.  As for minis, WotC isn't even making minis anymore, the newer products use cardboard tokens.  Any place-holder is useable - dice, pawns from other games, M&Ms, you name it.   In theory, you don't even need any sort of play surface or tokens, the DM can just keep track of relative distances 'in his head' or by making notes.  It's not the easiest option, but it can be done, I've done it with comparably complex games in the past...

You do not need the 'Tile' products that are part of the Essentials line.  You can use any ~1" grid.  There are purpose-made 'battlemats' that are wet-erase vinyl with grids or hexes that are ideal, but you can use larger graph papers, make your own grid, or just measure distances (with a tapemeasure or string) rather than use a grid.  Gridded surfaces are just convenient.  As for minis, WotC isn't even making minis anymore, the newer products use cardboard tokens.  Any place-holder is useable - dice, pawns from other games, M&Ms, you name it.   In theory, you don't even need any sort of play surface or tokens, the DM can just keep track of relative distances 'in his head' or by making notes.  It's not the easiest option, but it can be done, I've done it with comparably complex games in the past...

ok cool good to know thanks, i guess i'll buy mimis for fun and use my chessboard as tiles for combat 
Hello all,

I'm working out the combat rules and something isn't sinking in. I can't find the answer in my books.

Can a move action be interrupted to do a minor action? For example... If my speed is 6, can I move 2 squares, open a door ( minor action ), then move the other 4 squares, and take my standard action and make an attack?

Thanks
No. each action is by itself. It;s quite difficult to do in real life as well.

Though a DM might rule that you could make a thievery "stunt" check to try it (depending on which way it opens). Or perhaps strenght check just to go right through the door.

guides
Power
my builds

ok so this whole virtual table they're working on, is it going to allow for online D&D games or is it just to help people playing face to face?
Online.

Thoug I don't see any reason it would work on a big TV with everyone in the same room.

guides
Power
my builds

No. each action is by itself. It;s quite difficult to do in real life as well. Though a DM might rule that you could make a thievery "stunt" check to try it (depending on which way it opens). Or perhaps strenght check just to go right through the door.

Thanks for the response. 

Let's say you can't buy the minis and maps, is a 4th ed game still playable without it? I can't seem to figure how it would be since squares and proximity are mentioned a lot in the PHB. 
Let's say you can't buy the minis and maps, is a 4th ed game still playable without it? I can't seem to figure how it would be since squares and proximity are mentioned a lot in the PHB. 

replace "maps" with a square grid of some sort, like a table cloth (aim for 20x20, or more)
[sblock example]

[/sblock]

And replace "mini's" with something easily distinguishable from one another, like M&M's (different colors)
[sblock example]

[/sblock]

Fun thing about M&M's is you can flip them to notifly when their bloodied, and you get to litterally "loot the corpses".

guides
Power
my builds

replace "maps" with a square grid of some sort, like a table cloth (aim for 20x20, or more)
[sblock example]

[/sblock]

And replace "mini's" with something easily distinguishable from one another, like M&M's (different colors)
[sblock example]

[/sblock]

Fun thing about M&M's is you can flip them to notifly when their bloodied, and you get to litterally "loot the corpses".

lol thanks will do. 

[sblock example]

[/sblock]

[sblock example]

[/sblock]

lol thanks will do. 

And of course, you can use cup for towers, knives for cliffs, shoe laces for walls, and whatever else you have lying around to make maps interesting.

guides
Power
my builds

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum (obviously) and I was just wondering if it was worth it to get the Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition Core Rulebook Collection (I believe it's the three books in hardcover.)

I think I might be going this week to my first 'encounters' session on Wednesday, and I've been reading a lot online and I'm pretty sure I want to make a Warlord...but I'm pretty new to all of this. Should I do the free downloadable adventures first on my own?

Thanks, 
"Opportunities multiply as they are seized." - Sun Tzu
Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum (obviously) and I was just wondering if it was worth it to get the Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition Core Rulebook Collection (I believe it's the three books in hardcover.)

I think I might be going this week to my first 'encounters' session on Wednesday, and I've been reading a lot online and I'm pretty sure I want to make a Warlord...but I'm pretty new to all of this. Should I do the free downloadable adventures first on my own?

Thanks,

Hello and welcome!

While I haven't tried the downloadable adventures and can't speak to how helpful they might be, I can hopefully offer a bit of insight into your question of what to purchase.

Personally, I feel that the core rulebook set is all kinds of worth getting and the best way to dive into 4th edition, but you should be aware that Encounters emphasizes the more recent "Essentials" line of products, which - for the most part - reflect a simpler approach to character creation and play (particularly in the case of the martial classes.) Depending on how you wish to play the game, you may find that you prefer the Player's Handbooks over the Essentials player books, or vice-versa, or you may like them both equally. It's purely a matter of your individual tastes. Further, a decent amount of content (feats and certain powers, for instance) is interchangeable between the two sets of books.

By the strict rules-as-written of Encounters, only the Essentials player books Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, as well as certain bits of online content (available to D&D Insiders via paid subscription) and the most recent major release (in this case, the Neverwinter campaign setting), are permitted for character creation, though many Encounters DMs allow characters to be made with other books. You would, however, need to check with the store and/or DM in question. That said, if your DM is going to be running strictly by Essentials plus Neverwinter, the warlord will not be an available class, as there is no version of the warlord in any of those books.

The warlord is a great class, one of the best of 4e's innovations, IMHO.  It's detailed in the Player's Handbook (1 - there's also a PH2 and PH3, but they have different classes), which also has everything you need to create a character.  The Core Collection also has a MM1 and DMG1, which you won't really need, unless you plan to start running games, yourself, so you might just want the PH1.

There are just two problems:

1.  The PH1 was one of the first books out, so there has been a lot of errata  (called 'updates') that you'd need to check to make sure your warlord is 100% legal.  In fact, you can get an updated warlord sub-class called the Marshal on-line, for free.  There is also additional cool stuff for the warlord in Martial Power 1 and Martial Power 2.  The Warlord is a mature class, it's been out for 3 years, and has a lot of options.

2.  If you do build your cool Warlord (or Marshal) and show up to play it at D&D Encounters, you may or may not be allowed to.  Officially, only Essentials and Neverwinter Campaign Setting characters are playable in the current season of Encounters.  But, DMs have the lattitude to allow in anything.  (As a matter of fact, I'll be playing a Warlord - a 1/2-Elf, Neverwinter Noble, Inspiring Warlord, in fact, a cool build, built at Game Day - in Encounters this season.)

If you want to be sure of having a 'legal' character, you can do one three things:

1.  Get DDI and use the on-line Character Builder, choosing the current Encounters Season when you go to create a character, you'll be given all the 'legal' options.

2.  Get Heroes of the Fallen Land and/or Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom and the Neverwinter Campaign Setting, and use those books to build a character (you may also want the Rule Compendium, a more complete rules reference than HotFL/K).

3.  Don't buy anything - just show up and play a pre-generated character.  If you had your eye on Warlord, you could either play a Slayer or Knight (Fighter sub-classes, which are of the non-casting, warrior archetype of the warlord, but none of it's leader powers) or a Warpriest (which is, well, a priest who gains power from the gods, but is a melee-oriented leader - mechanically, like the warlord).  The Human Knight Pre-gen (Quinn, who might still be kicking around from season 3, and is certainly Encounters-legal), with the Neverwinter Noble theme tacked on would be vaguely warlord-like.

I made a character using one of the character generators I found, and I was wondering if this seems right for my first go around? It could seem silly for asking this or for making a character I just prefer to have my own character I guess.

Sitruc Phoenix
Level 1 Good (Chaotic) Human Male Slayer

Strength – 16 (+3) Constitution – 12 (+1) Dexterity – 18 (+4) Intelligence – 10 (+0) Wisdom – 10 (+0) Charisma – 12 (+1)

Maximum Hit Points – 32 Bloodied – 16 Surge Value – 8 Surges per Day – 10 Armour Class – 17 (Scale) Fortitude – 16 Reflex – 15 Will – 12

Height – 5’11 Weight – 175 Size – Medium Speed – 5 Vision – Normal

Initiative – 1d20 +4 Base Strength – 1d20 +3 Base Constitution – 1d20 +1 Base Dexterity – 1d20 +4 Base Intelligence – 1d20 +0 Base Wisdom – 1d20 +0 Base Charisma – 1d20 +1

Skills Acrobatics – 3, Athletics – 8, Bluff – 1, Diplomacy – 1, Endurance – 6, Intimidate – 6, Stealth – 4, Streetwise – 6, Thievery – 4
Feats Toughness, Weapon Focus – Heavy Blade
At Will Powers  Battle Wrath, Berserker’s Charge
Encounter Powers Second Wind, Heroic Effort, Power Strike

Items
Equipment – Scale Armour and Greatsword (53 lbs)
Inventory – Backpack, Bedroll, Flint and steel, Grappling Hook, Poisoner’s Kit, Hammer, Pitons x 10, Belt Pouch, Rations x 10, 50’ Hemp Rope, Sunrod x 2, Waterskin (45 lbs)

I made a character using one of the character generators I found, and I was wondering if this seems right for my first go around? It could seem silly for asking this or for making a character I just prefer to have my own character I guess.

... Snip

quote]
I don't think it is silly at all Sitruc, in fact I find character creation one of the most enjoyable aspects of D&D.  

I did my best to recreate you character in the Character Builder and from what I can tell your ability scores may be a little off.  I was able to get all of the numbers except for Cha which I had to leave at 10 (I put the +2 human racial bonus into Dex).  As far as ability scores go, I'm curious as to why your characters St. is lower than Dex, I'm not saying this is wrong though.  Usually characters put their highest scores in the ability that is linked to their attacks, from what I can tell you are building a melee St. based character.  I would at least recomend switching St. and Dex, but it's not going to ruin anything.  If you keep you current scores I would suggest switching from Scale armor (which slows you down and doesn't allow you to add your Dex to AC) with Hide armor (you'll be able to move more and have the same AC).  Also I would recomend picking up a ranged weapon, like a sling.  Later you could buy a longbow when your character has the money.

I would suggest Heavy Weapon Expertise over weapon forcus, with the number of HPs most monsters have 1 move damage doesn't do a lot, but this is mostly prefference.

By the way you may want to ask for this bo be moved to either the character optimization boards or the what's a player to do boards.  

Have fun at Encounters!          
The only real "rules" are to make sure you have a 16 (or higher) is your attack stat, which you do.  And the only i'd say you "have" to do is to buy a bow (or javalin).  You don't need to use it often, but since you have the Dex to use one (Str for javalin), it will make a nice backup if you can't reach the enemy.

A few other suggestions:
Consider 18 Str and 16 Dex.
If your keeping the 18 Dex, consider wearing hide instead of Scale.
And finally, and much more of a personal preference, i always spend my first feat on a superior weapon, if only so i don't have to worry about upgrading my greatsword into a fullblade later.

guides
Power
my builds

The only real "rules" are to make sure you have a 16 (or higher) is your attack stat, which you do.  And the only i'd say you "have" to do is to buy a bow (or javalin).  You don't need to use it often, but since you have the Dex to use one (Str for javalin), it will make a nice backup if you can't reach the enemy.

A few other suggestions:
And finally, and much more of a personal preference, i always spend my first feat on a superior weapon, if only so i don't have to worry about upgrading my greatsword into a fullblade later.

So according to the post above I am using too many attribute points? I think this is just what was alloted to me by the character generator, but if I am using too many it'd be nice to know.

Also I can use a feat on a superior weapon?

Again I'm not totally clear on the character creation rules yet. Maybe these posts could be moved to their own topic somewhere or something. I'm not looking to have the best character ever, or the most beefed up possible character -- just a legal one for encounters with the general idea that I've used here. 
So according to the post above I am using too many attribute points? I think this is just what was alloted to me by the character generator, but if I am using too many it'd be nice to know.

He's right, you need to drop one of your 10's to an 8 (or one of the 12's to a 10).

Yes, but again, it's purely personal preference.  Toughness and weapon focus are both good feats.

Again I'm not totally clear on the character creation rules yet. Maybe these posts could be moved to their own topic somewhere or something. I'm not looking to have the best character ever, or the most beefed up possible character -- just a legal one for encounters with the general idea that I've used here. 

Except for the above attributes, it's fine.

guides
Power
my builds

A few other suggestions:

From what I can tell ability score wise I used the Character Builder (available if you have DDI) to point buy the following St. 16 (9pt), Fort. 12 (2pt), Dex. 16 pt. (9 pt) +2 human racial = 18 final score, Cha. starting 8 spent 2 pt. to raise to 10.  9+2+9+2=22 Pt, the number of point available in point buy.

In further review if you want a 12 cha. you will need to drop either Int. or Wis to 8.  

Again I'm not totally clear on the character creation rules yet.  I'm not looking to have the best character ever, or the most beefed up possible character -- just a legal one for encounters with the general idea that I've used here. 

No, Superior Weapons are not Encounters-legal.  Encounters DMs are often quite willing to allow in more, but officially, the current season allows only the following:

Heroes of the Fallen Land
Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom

Any Dragon magazine articles directly supporting classes in the above two books.

Neverwinter Campaign Setting

That's it.   Superior weapons are found in PH1, AV1, and other sources not 'legal' in Encounters. 

So i've been trying to collect a bit of minis for my d&d games i have about 50 so far... and wanted to start a sorta army pack of basically common enemies. Anybody know where you can buy say a set of 10 or more duergars or goblins and such? I've been to trollland and miniature market but they usually sell like packs of randoms and singles oh while I'm here talking about this stuff anyone want to post up some of their mini sets or game setups just for inspiration purposes :D
Ok...First off i want to say that i am very new to the game. With that said, I need help. lol...i started out by playing through the "red box" for fourth edition. i have the players handbook and the monster manual. as i try to level up the characters i made using the "red box" i find some...odditties.. In the "red box" my wizard got more then 2 at-will powers and some of the ones he got are not even in the players handbook... Then i went to my fighter..and the same thing happened...it tells me nothing about battle stances and one of my favorite moves "power strike" isnt in there either. am i missing something? i was told 4th was the easiest one to play and all i find are inconsistencies.  what am i doing wrong? thank you ahead of time

-Codinia 
Ok...First off i want to say that i am very new to the game. With that said, I need help. lol...i started out by playing through the "red box" for fourth edition. i have the players handbook and the monster manual. as i try to level up the characters i made using the "red box" i find some...odditties.. In the "red box" my wizard got more then 2 at-will powers and some of the ones he got are not even in the players handbook... Then i went to my fighter..and the same thing happened...it tells me nothing about battle stances and one of my favorite moves "power strike" isnt in there either. am i missing something? i was told 4th was the easiest one to play and all i find are inconsistencies.  what am i doing wrong? thank you ahead of time

-Codinia 

The redbox classes are in Hero's of Forgotten Lands (or Fallen Kingdom, i don't remember), not the player's handbook.

That said, you could still use the player's handbook classes.  You just have to remake your character as one of them.

guides
Power
my builds

Sign In to post comments