New to D&D? Start here!

286 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello,

I'm new to 4e as well.

Personally, I've chosen to start with only the Essentials line, mostly because it's the new thing in 4e. Later when I'm more comfortable with the rules, I'll use the "main" books wherever I feel the need. For now I find it much less confusing to not use both Essentials and the hardback books.

Take care.

Anciea
Hi. I had to remove some content from this thread because trolling and flaming violates the Code of Conduct

Please keep the contents of your posts appropriate and in good taste. Also, please keep in mind the topic, which is advice for newcomers to D&D 4E. Thanks.
Update

The "Beyond Essentials" section now has brief introductions to the various product types.

All around helpful simian

Just getting into D&D! Got the Starter Kit and just picked up the Essentials Rules Compendium! Thanks for the list, crazy_monkey!
Update

The "Beyond Essentials" section now has brief introductions to the various product types.

Essentials was supposed to be an expansion of 4e, serving as an 'alternative on-ramp' to the game.  That implies that the old on-ramp, the core PH1/MM1/DMG1 books, is still valid.  They, and the downloadable quickstart, should be right at the top, along with the Red Box and the other Essentials products.  

It may seem 'confusing' to present both paths, but people do come here saying "I have the PH what else do I need?"  Telling such people that they 'need' HotFL or HotFK is doing them a diservice.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Unless they have changed there duo on-ramp idea I agree with Tony
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Awesome list. Thanks!
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to 4e, but played a lot when I was a kid (37 now.)  I'd like to introduce my teens and some of their friends to DnD, but neither of the two bookstores (in my area) had the DnD Starter Kit in stock yesterday.  I did notice the QuickStart online, and it looks like a sizeable adventure.  Would there be much problem just starting with that, or will that get us off on something that doesn't really give the "complete" experience.  I know character creatiion is missing, but that's okay - it would probably bog down our first session anyway.  I want to jump right in for them and get going.

Thoughts?  Recommendations?  We'd like to play this weekend, hence my interest in the free downloadable.

-Void
The new Red Box makes a very nice intro to D&D.  It would be my top recomendation.  It comes with stuff you'll need anyways (like dice).  If people havn't played before, it is THE place to start.  Though it's less useful for those who have played other RPG's and such.

But if your looking for free, the quick start isn't horrible.

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

It is not the best adventure. But everything you need is there. 
There are also a few free ones in the first couple 4E dungeon issues. (I it was 155 to 158 that were free) 
www.wizards.com/dnd/TOC.aspx?x=dnd/4new/...
Thanks.  I have several sets of dice and a grid sheet.  Also have the basic 3.5 rulebooks (DM, PB, MM, and an Eberron Campaign Setting) that are basically useless to me now.  Too bad, too, because I liked the Eberron idea - just seems like Wizards has left it behind.

Anyway, I may go buy a tiles set (they had a couple of those in stock) and run with the QuickStart - see where it takes us.   There's going to be such a learning curve anyway, and a re-learning curve for me, that the "quality" of the adventure may not really matter.  As long as it gives us something to start with, if everyone has fun, I'll go ahead and get the Essentials and find a longer campaign to run.

Assuming all goes well (I'm sure it will,) any recommendations for a good campaign that starts with Lvl 1 characters and has a lot of pre-packaged assets/modules to support it?  I just don't have the time anymore to hand-craft gaming sessions; I need pre-built resources that I can just review the night before.  (NOTE: beat me if I'm asking this in the wrong thread or getting too off topic ;)

-Void 
Thanks.  I have several sets of dice and a grid sheet.  Also have the basic 3.5 rulebooks (DM, PB, MM, and an Eberron Campaign Setting) that are basically useless to me now.  Too bad, too, because I liked the Eberron idea - just seems like Wizards has left it behind.

There is an Eberron Player's Guide available for 4th Edition that presents a lot of information for running an Eberron campaign. 

You might want to pick up a copy of the 4th Edition "Player's Handbook 1" since the supplemental race and class (Warforged and Artificer, respectively) are presented in the "core" character creation style, as opposed to the Essentials style.

loose [loos] vt. to let loose; to release; to unfasten, undo or untie; to shoot or discharge. lose [looz] vt. to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery; to fail inadvertently to retain (something) in such a way that it cannot be immediately recovered; to suffer the deprivation of. LEARN THE DAMN DIFFERENCE. 

Oh!  I didn't know that.  I thought Eberron was just abandoned and left behind with 3.5.  Are there active modules out there that are Eberron setting and 4e rules?

You also mentioned the Players Handbook 1.  I guess I'm a little confused about the Essentials stuff.  Wouldn't the players just grab one of the "Heroes of ..." books  and the DM the "Rules Compendium" and that would be it?  I was under the impression the various "Handbooks" and "Guides" didn't exist anymore?

Coming from AD&D, then 3.5, then a few years gap has really gotten me confused on all this.

-Void 
Oh!  I didn't know that.  I thought Eberron was just abandoned and left behind with 3.5.  Are there active modules out there that are Eberron setting and 4e rules?

You also mentioned the Players Handbook 1.  I guess I'm a little confused about the Essentials stuff.  Wouldn't the players just grab one of the "Heroes of ..." books  and the DM the "Rules Compendium" and that would be it?  I was under the impression the various "Handbooks" and "Guides" didn't exist anymore?

Coming from AD&D, then 3.5, then a few years gap has really gotten me confused on all this.

-Void 

The player's hanbooks 1/2/3 work fine with essentials, and you can use PHB1 instead of a Hero's of ... book.  Though there a bit dated.  The quickstart builds are based of it though (which are also a bit dated).

Also the DM kit comes with a solid adventure, which builds off the red box (which i think takes you though level 1).

And nothing stops you from stealing ideas/maps/NPCs/ect from the 3.5 eberon book.  Monsters may be a bit more difficult, but you can easily use the ideas/theme/ect.. of them.

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

this favors essentials too much

I concur.

BOTH starting points should be discussed, not just HoFL/K
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.

-Void 

The big thing is that each essentials classes tell you on a chart made for that class  when you get a new power.
Ecept for the augmentable psionic classes all pre  essentials classes listed the powers in the class description but did not directly tell you when you got a new power. The single level up chart in the PHB told you when you got new powers.
Not that it was hard to figure out. The class write up has lv 2 utillities, lv 3 encounters, lv 5 daillies , lv 6 utillities ect. so you got a uttillity at 2 an encounter at 3 ect. but the class descriptions did not lead you by the hand you hand to check the chart for that. 
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to 4e, but played a lot when I was a kid (37 now.)  I'd like to introduce my teens and some of their friends to DnD, but neither of the two bookstores (in my area) had the DnD Starter Kit in stock yesterday.  I did notice the QuickStart online, and it looks like a sizeable adventure.  Would there be much problem just starting with that, or will that get us off on something that doesn't really give the "complete" experience.  I know character creatiion is missing, but that's okay - it would probably bog down our first session anyway.  I want to jump right in for them and get going.

Thoughts?  Recommendations?  We'd like to play this weekend, hence my interest in the free downloadable.

-Void

red box would be good for you , ive seen it at walmart and target
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to 4e, but played a lot when I was a kid (37 now.)  I'd like to introduce my teens and some of their friends to DnD, but neither of the two bookstores (in my area) had the DnD Starter Kit in stock yesterday.  I did notice the QuickStart online, and it looks like a sizeable adventure.  Would there be much problem just starting with that, or will that get us off on something that doesn't really give the "complete" experience.

The 'Red Box' starter kit is positively ideal for getting younger players started, but if anything it's a less complete introduction than the one available on-line.  It's meant to lead into the rest of Essentials, but has some minor inconsistencies since it was the first one out the gate, and changes were made to the subsequent products after it was already in production. 

The on-line starter leads into the PH1, just fine, but the PH1 has been subjected to a lot of errata, you can d/l the update document to get it.

There are a lot of odd little differences in presentation between PH and Heroes of... books, but, ultimately, they're compatible.  The first two Heroes of... books, the ones that say 'Essentials' have all the rules you need to make a character.  Later Heroes of... books (so far, that's just ...of Shadow) do not.  Similarly, the PH1 has complete rules needed to play, while the PH2 & PH3 just have additional races, classes, feats, etc...

If you're already familiar with 'recent' incarnations of the game, the quickstart and PH1 are probably the best path.  If you're completely new, or last played AD&D, the Red Box and Essentials will probably feel more accessible.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

this favors essentials too much

I concur.

BOTH starting points should be discussed, not just HoFL/K

And QFT but apparently the thread starter is biased.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Since this seemed the most suitable thread for it I'm going to post my question here. Do forgive me if I misplaced it.

First of all I put in an order for the red box, the essentials core rules and the essential book with the four iconic characters (fighter etc). Despite the fact a lot of people on this forum bash the essentials line I would like to say I am very positive about the idea of the 'essentials' line and it's what finally pulled me in. So keep such handy books coming! They're great to draw in newcomers.
And I hope in the near future to slide into a local group as a Knight (Fighter) or Blackguard.

Now as for my questions:

1) Given that the local D and D groups are (for now) full I'll probably only have one other person to play with. How effective is it to just have 1 player and does it cause problems if I were to GM and play an NPC partymember (say a bodyguard of my player's mage) for the rpg?

2) I skimmed through the Dark Hero book in the store. Being a huge fan of the Neverwinter Night and Dark Knights, I always liked the idea of a Blackguard. How compatible would a Blackguard be as a multiclass from a str/con based fighter. And more importantly, is it even advisable to start of with an 'eviller' party than is the cliché?

3) In this thread I noticed people mentioning conversions are necessary from the red box to the essentials line. Were certain aspects of the charactersheets dropped in it or highly simplified?

My apologies in advance if my questions are stupid.
Since this seemed the most suitable thread for it I'm going to post my question here. Do forgive me if I misplaced it.

First of all I put in an order for the red box, the essentials core rules and the essential book with the four iconic characters (fighter etc). Despite the fact a lot of people on this forum bash the essentials line I would like to say I am very positive about the idea of the 'essentials' line and it's what finally pulled me in. So keep such handy books coming! They're great to draw in newcomers.
And I hope in the near future to slide into a local group as a Knight (Fighter) or Blackguard.

Now as for my questions:

1) Given that the local D and D groups are (for now) full I'll probably only have one other person to play with. How effective is it to just have 1 player and does it cause problems if I were to GM and play an NPC partymember (say a bodyguard of my player's mage) for the rpg?

2) I skimmed through the Dark Hero book in the store. Being a huge fan of the Neverwinter Night and Dark Knights, I always liked the idea of a Blackguard. How compatible would a Blackguard be as a multiclass from a str/con based fighter. And more importantly, is it even advisable to start of with an 'eviller' party than is the cliché?

3) In this thread I noticed people mentioning conversions are necessary from the red box to the essentials line. Were certain aspects of the charactersheets dropped in it or highly simplified?

My apologies in advance if my questions are stupid.

Welcome to the hobby  As a first step when your stuff arrives, I'd recommend getting together with the other player and running through the Player's Book in the Red Box.  It contains a solo adventure that you can take turns running through, with one of you rolling for the bad guys.  At the end of that you'll have a character created and a good idea of the basic rules.

After you've finished that I'd suggest that you dig out Heroes of the Fallen Lands and the conversion doc (wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/...) and convert your characters.  The changes are very minor so it's not a big deal, although the fighter from the PB is a Slayer, so you might want to convert it to a Knight instead.

Next you'll be ready to start the adventure contained in the DM's book (The Twisting Halls), which is where your other questions come in:

1.  It's possible to play with a DM + 1 player, but if you're going to play an NPC companion, you have to remember that the player(s) should be the star(s) of the show.  Playing a stereotypical, stupid but loyal henchman would work well, letting the PC make the decisions and take the glory.

You'll also need to modify the encounters in the Twisting Halls to make them survivable.  This is fairly easy - just remove enough monsters to reduce the total XP of the encounter to half.  For Encounter 2 I'd keep the numbers as is, but treat it as two separate encounters and reduce the dragon's damage.  Reduce its attack dice by 1 size and halve any dmg modifiers (e.g. 1d12+6 becomes 1d10+3).  I'd probably reduce its HP to around 88 and drop its XP to 400.

2. I don't think there is a multi-class option for Blackguards yet, but you could always just play a Blackguard.  I wouldn't recommend it for the NPC henchman though - save it for when you can enjoy playing it as a PC.  As for playing an evil party - I'd suggest that you leave it up to your player. As the DM it's up to you to decide the consequences of any evil actions they might take...
Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated!
How effective is it to just have 1 player and does it cause problems if I were to GM and play an NPC partymember (say a bodyguard of my player's mage) for the rpg?

Really not very, in any version of the game and 4e emphasized the team aspect of play more than ever.  Oddly, while in a two or three character party, the Controller is often the first role to go, a controller might make a viable solo PC - while defenders and leaders have ally-focused features that become worthless when alone, and strikers don't, controller is probably the only role where the absence of a party can actually make it slightly /more/ effective. 

Adjusting encounters is a matter of reducing the experience budget, of course.  If you do this by reducing the number of monsters (meaning a standard solo-adventurer encoutner will generally be vs a single level-apropriate standard monster), a Striker would probably be the best choice for the solo PC.  If you reduce the exp budget by reducing the level of the monsters, or 'demoting' monsters from Solo to standard or standard to minion, then a Controller could do very well. 

Heroes of Shadow is dark in tone, but the PCs created with it do not have to be evil.  Evil PCs aren't usually a great idea, though the 'evil campaign' can work, the more conventional 'good guy' (LG/Good) or 'anti-hero' (Good/Unaligned) has a lot more story potential.  Most of the 'dark' or 'anti-hero' or even 'evil' PC ideas work fine with Unaligned.

The Red Box isn't a complete or perfect introduction to 4e or Essentials, but it doesn't require any serious 'conversion.'  The notable issues are just a matter of changes that were aparently made to the Essentials rule set after the Red Box was set in stone.  So a few things work differently for a Red Box Mage or Slayer, for instance, than for a HotFL Mage or Slayer.  When the two conflict, the Red Box is the less authoritative source.

In summary, I'd call solo-PC campaigns and 'evil' campaigns 'advanced techniques.'  They're doable, but probably not a great idea for a first campaign.  If there's organized play in your area, I'd suggest attending that for a while to get some more experience, and meet other new players who might be looking for a game to join.

Thanks for the feedback!
What Dice do you roll for Skill checks? A d20? Can someone explain Skills in the simplest of terms?
What Dice do you roll for Skill checks? A d20? Can someone explain Skills in the simplest of terms?

roll a d20 and add bonus from skill training (+5), appropriate stat modifier (for example, if you have 14 charisma, you get a +2 bonus to charisma related skills), plus 1/2 your level. items and backgrounds and themes, and paragon paths/epic destinies may also give bonuses

roll a d20 and add bonus from skill training (+5), appropriate stat modifier (for example, if you have 14 charisma, you get a +2 bonus to charisma related skills), plus 1/2 your level. items and backgrounds and themes, and paragon paths/epic destinies may also give bonuses

So lets the CHaracter has a Dex of 14 (total) and he says he wants to shimmy along a ledge.

He must Roll UNDER 14 on the D20? To pass a skill check?

If he rolls over he slips?
no, there will be a 'dc' that indicates what has to be hit, for what you are saying it will be an acrobatics check, for sake of argument, call it a dc 14 acrobatics check. the d20 plus all the other stuff i mentioned must meet or exceed that number, its not like old ability checks and non weapon proficiency checks where you had to get under or equal to an attribute
no, there will be a 'dc' that indicates what has to be hit, for what you are saying it will be an acrobatics check, for sake of argument, call it a dc 14 acrobatics check. the d20 plus all the other stuff i mentioned must meet or exceed that number, its not like old ability checks and non weapon proficiency checks where you had to get under or equal to an attribute

Ok...where do you reference what the DC's are? Where does one check DC's? (lol, I know when you answer this I am going to be off to the store again!!!).
printed adventures usually contain them, i am not sure if the dm book from the red box gives dcs (i dont have it in front of me), although it might. otherwise you can get common dcs from a dm screen, rules compendium, players hadnbook (see skills section), etc etc etc etc

quick start rules probably have some as well

or you can just use this chart, and assign something easy/moderate/hard

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/d...

So lets the CHaracter has a Dex of 14 (total) and he says he wants to shimmy along a ledge.

He must Roll UNDER 14 on the D20? To pass a skill check?

If he rolls over he slips?

That's how it worked in 2e AD&D, I think. 

3e and 4e use a single resolution mechanic.  A d20 roll plus modifiers, trying to to match a Difficult Class (DC).  In the case of attacks, the DC is typically Armor Class.  In the case of skill checks, it's set by the DM.  Published adventures generally include DCs for things the players might want to do, but players often want to do things the author of an adventure would never think of.  You can use the DCs given as a rough guide.  The DMG and/or Rules Compendium also have guidelines for typical DCs at a given level.  The PH and/or Rules Compendium also has some DCs for specific skills used in specific ways (like using Athletics to jump a certain distance).

Don't really have a question, but I'm brand new to D&D. Just put in the order for my Redbox and I'm really pumped to get started.

Just thought I'd stop by and say "hi!" somewhere that I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions. Looking forward to a bunch of good times!
Don't really have a question, but I'm brand new to D&D. Just put in the order for my Redbox and I'm really pumped to get started.

Just thought I'd stop by and say "hi!" somewhere that I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions. Looking forward to a bunch of good times!

Hi Greenfoot and Welcome to the Boards and to D&D. It's a fantastic game you'll see !

Please do not hesitate to come ask any questions. We have a good deal of very dedicated  people on the Forums who will answer you promptly.

Hi! I am brand new as well, I strongly reccomend having the chat open. It kept me from quitting! Apparently there is some Typos in teh red box that can lead to some real confusion.
Hello to all...Back in the early 80's i played DD basic, Expert, then AD&D, but left for Middle Earth Roleplaying then on to Rolemaster with a little harn thrown in...but I have always been drawn to D&D, my first ruleset...I bought all the 4th ed core books and the other books like the Primal powers etc (I was quite excited not unlike how I felt like the first time I saw DD way back when, 1984 ish), but to my surprize the current ruleset is far different from the AD&D ruleset of the 80,s so if I may a few questions.

1.  Grids: are using a 5' square grid essental to the rules or could you use a gridless system in feet without to much ruleset problems.....I feel grid maps lead to more box like dungeons, like the dreaded square that is cut by a wall.

2. Weapons: I must have missed this when I scanned the rules, but can the classes use any weapon, unlike the old AD&D where classes could use only set weapons

3. (most related to the topic, sorry for the other two) If I have the core books and a player has the essentals , what rule overides the other (officaly), or do I just throw out I am the DM so I say it is this rule (sometimes players hate that)

4. (also related) Is there anybooks that set rules to allow your character to procede past 30th level or is 30 the defacto end of your character.

After not playing D&D since the 80,s  I am new to this ruleset, thus new to this D&D and I am thankful to any answer that will help my with these pet peeves and allow me to stay with this rule set.
Hello to all...Back in the early 80's i played DD basic, Expert, then AD&D, but left for Middle Earth Roleplaying then on to Rolemaster with a little harn thrown in...but I have always been drawn to D&D, my first ruleset...I bought all the 4th ed core books and the other books like the Primal powers etc (I was quite excited not unlike how I felt like the first time I saw DD way back when, 1984 ish), but to my surprize the current ruleset is far different from the AD&D ruleset of the 80,s so if I may a few questions.

1.  Grids: are using a 5' square grid essental to the rules or could you use a gridless system in feet without to much ruleset problems.....I feel grid maps lead to more box like dungeons, like the dreaded square that is cut by a wall.

2. Weapons: I must have missed this when I scanned the rules, but can the classes use any weapon, unlike the old AD&D where classes could use only set weapons

3. (most related to the topic, sorry for the other two) If I have the core books and a player has the essentals , what rule overides the other (officaly), or do I just throw out I am the DM so I say it is this rule (sometimes players hate that)

4. (also related) Is there anybooks that set rules to allow your character to procede past 30th level or is 30 the defacto end of your character.

After not playing D&D since the 80,s  I am new to this ruleset, thus new to this D&D and I am thankful to any answer that will help my with these pet peeves and allow me to stay with this rule set.

1. id say yes, it is essential, but you could make up your own system i guess
2. each class has weapon restrictions just like the old days
3. the essentials rules have updates and errata from old rules, so anything rules wise is indeed overriden by essentials, although you could just download the rules updates here www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/u...
4. 30 is the defacto end but you could just keep upping your numbers if you wanted. there are no powers or items for after 30th level

The rules are set up using squares, just like they were back in AD&D 1st edition. But then again EVERY edition has needed a way to track position or you were just BSing area spells, and who you could take a swing at with your sword.
As to dungeon design, they only lead to box design if you are a bad designer. Did grids lead to square dungeons back in Basic where pretty much every dungeon map had a grid in it?

You can use any weapon but you need to be proficient with it to get the full benefit. Classes (and some races) have a list of weapons they are proficient with and can use, they can take a feat to become proficient with additional weapons. 
This works much better (and makes much more sense) then the class based restrictions back in the tay. 

Essential will overide core because t is a newer printing and encorporates errata, but there is not much that is not in the existing errata files, and most of essentials is just new PC options. 

None at this time, But 1st and 2nd edition also had hard level caps. I think it was mentioned a while ago that they were considering such a product. 

The rules are set up using squares, just like they were back in AD&D 1st edition. But then again EVERY edition has needed a way to track position or you were just BSing area spells, and who you could take a swing at with your sword.
As to dungeon design, they only lead to box design if you are a bad designer. Did grids lead to square dungeons back in Basic where pretty much every dungeon map had a grid in it?

Quite right..all editions had such rules, but do the rules bog down to a toe to toe slug fest when the passages are smaller than ten feet, it seems by the little I know of this new rule set that maneuvering and position give you advantages. Will smaller areas give only one player the show, leaving other to fall in line and wait for the lead character to die, or win?.  AD&D 1st did use squares if I recall (been a long time) but I think the rules were not so depended on advantages or exact position.

Picture 5 foot passage two players side by side,shields locked, much like a battle formation, thrusting with weapon to push the hord back, possible in this ruleset?

As far as dungeon design how does this ruleset handle a curving natural 5 foot passage that splits or corners the grid thru most of its sweep? (and handle I mean position of combatants and what they can do). Do you think I would just be better to make it a 10 foot passage so at least some maneuvering could be used, thus more rule options? I guess box was a bad description, I mean more like conforming the map to have better room to maneuver and give the players more options, as opposed to my imagined concept of the place.

Thanks

Hello Ron4RPG, on page 283 of the Player's Handbook the section that describes Occupied Squares and moving though occupied squares states "Ending movement:  You can end your movement in an ally's square only if that ally is prone. ..."  So the example that you gave is not possible when strictly using the rules as far as I know.

I'm having more trouble finding the exact rules for curving walls,I'll look into that more and let you know what I find.

Just to single this question out for the sake of clarity, most rules in Essentials override those located in the PHB (for example, if the PHB says one thing about flanking and Essentials says something different, go with the latter), but all of the race and class options that exist in the PHB are still valid for play. In other words, you can play a human who has a bonus at-will power or one with Heroic Effort (player's choice), and you can either play - for example - the fighter as presented in the PHB, or else you might opt for a knight or slayer from Essentials; the existence of the latter options do not retroactively "erase" the former choices from the system.
Sign In to post comments