Expanding Grivelda's Fortunes

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
I wrote up a document for the tables at my store to use if they wanted Grivelda's fortune-telling talents to be used as more than a simple d20 substitution during encounter 5. All of the fortunes I wrote are quirky / unique, and have ramifications further along in chapter 2 - and they come with flavor / read aloud text, as well as details for DM use to go along with each indiviual fortune. This expanded document turned out to be a big hit with players and DMs alike at all the tables tonight, so I thought I'd share the document here and let any other DMs who wanted to try them out swipe them for their own use.

It should be pretty easy for the beginning of session 6 to inculde an extra bit of fortune reading before the party heads off to the next destination, or even to have Grivelda come to speak to the party at another later point in the chapter. Heck, you don't even need the fortunes to be given out for a lot of these events to work well in your game - you can just add in the events as though that was how the encounters were written!

As the document is far too large to just type out here (about 4 pages at 9-point type with .5in margins), I'll just upload the .pdf to my DA account and you can grab the file there: Expanded Fortunes

I'll add a preview of the two potential fortunes I wrote for session 6 behind the spoiler blocks.

Show

03. Vontarin's House (session 6 exploration)

"I see you holding a life in your hands. It will be up to you to choose between compassion and pragmatism - between nurturing the flame, and snuffing it out."

Nestled in the embers of the kitchen fireplace is a tiny feldrake hatchling (barely 5 inches long). With the Fell Court Underboss slain or routed, the hatchling is left alone and vulnerable with nobody to care for it. Unless the party adopts the creature, it will surely die.

If the player wishes to save the creature, they can choose either to adopt it, or to leave it with a one of the NPCs with whom they have established a good relationship. Some examples:

Grivelda will gladly care for the hatchling at her home, and her traditional Vistani lore will endure that she can provide it with the proper care.

Grimbold can be convinced to take the hatchling in and raise it as a kind of guard drake for the town. He will never admit it, but he thinks the drake is adorable.

Tilda will volunteer to take it in as a pet for the Old Owl Inn - though the little 'fireball' isn't as traditional as a cat, the feldrake will make an excellent rat catcher!

If the player wishes to adopt the hatchling personally, it will become a cute and loyal pet for the remainder of the adventure. This should easily provide a ton of role playing hooks, and having a lovable (and very warm!) little pet around helps to stave off the gloom and chill of the Shadowfell. During any rest where the party has the feldrake with them, each character regains two additional hit points.

If the player wishes to leave the creature to die, or even chooses to slay it outright, they are a terrible, terrible person, and you should call them out as the heartless monster they are! Any character who wants to kill the hatchling (regardless of what the rest of the party wants to do) is a Heartless Monster, and cannot gain or spend action points until they take an extended rest. Be sure to remind them of how mean they are at every opportunity, and ask them questions like "How could you do such a thing?" or simply end comments addressed to them with things like "You monster."

04. New Owners (session 6 combat)

"I see betrayal, coin, and fire. Dark tidings, child ...though I cannot see who is touched by these things."

During the first round of the encounter, one of the Fell Court Ruffians accuses another of cheating in their game of cards. The accused and accuser immediately fall upon each other in a flash of knives and fire. One of the two ruffians is killed, and the other escapes through the manor house's side door, removing two of the ruffians from the fight.

As the victor flees, he quickly grabs a fistful of coins and sets the table on fire (using his Infernal Wrath). The amount of money left on the table is 2d10 gold pieces less than the stated 35 gp, all three of the decks of cards are scorched beyond use, and the password "Nimdel" for the gargoyle trap in the basement has been burned away entirely.

As you can see from those two samples, they are heavy on flavor, and can be good, bad, a bit of both, or even give the character in question some agency in how things will turn out depending on their actions. If you use any of these ideas in your own game (or if they inspire you to make your own!), please post here and tell me about it - I'd love to see how other DMs incorporate fun extras like these into their games.

## Edited to clean up link, and have it go directly to the .pdf
Love the flavor - I wish I had read that before Week 5.  The players actually enjoyed the fortune teller scene, and it kind of reminded my of the Fortunes of Castle Ravenloft.
-Alveric "And the sword that had visited Earth from so far away smote like the falling of thunderbolts; and green sparks rose from the armour, and crimson as sword met sword; and thick elvish blood moved slowly, from wide slits, down the cuirass; and Lirazel gazed in awe and wonder and love; and the combatants edged away fighting into the forest; and branches fell on them hacked off by their fight; and the runes in Alveric's far-travelled sword exulted, and roared at the elf-knight; until in the dark of the wood, amongst branches severed from disenchanted trees, with a blow like that of a thunderbolt riving an oak tree, Alveric slew him."
Sign In to post comments