Will WOTC wait a full month to let hapless users know what's going on with the CB?

105 posts / 0 new
Last post
Last we heard from the fine fine folks at WOTC, the CB update, that many of us pay a subscription for, had been delayed for "several weeks".  Now several weeks have passed and we have still not heard anything from the excellent and not at all deteriorating daily team.

There was promise perhaps 2 weeks ago from one person on the team that he would let us know what was happening. In a true show of what the whole DDI team is made of, he never did.

Just wanted to say thanks. DDI isn't getting worse at all and everyone on the team is doing a great job!

oh the betrayal!
I'm shocked and dismayed!

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

Last we heard from the fine fine folks at WOTC, the CB update, that many of us pay a subscription for, had been delayed for "several weeks".  Now several weeks have passed and we have still not heard anything from the excellent and not at all deteriorating daily team.

There was promise perhaps 2 weeks ago from one person on the team that he would let us know what was happening. In a true show of what the whole DDI team is made of, he never did.

Just wanted to say thanks. DDI isn't getting worse at all and everyone on the team is doing a great job!

I think you have a right to be upset.

It's been 3 weeks since they said they would let us know. This is just poor customer service, no matter what a handful of people will tell you otherwise.

What's even worse it think, is that these handful of others, are acting like not a single thing is wrong, and that YOU are the problem for expecting someone at WoTC to actually follow up on what they say.

What will happen, whatever update they planned for May, will become the June update. And most likely not contain anything extra then what May was to have.

So far, WoTC's stated goal of having timely, monthly update and content, is falling short.
Insulting people is usually a good way to get them to do favors for you.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Unfortunately I must agree that as far as consistency is concerned they still have to hit the mark.
*grumblegrumble*

Goes off to poke WotC.

Again.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
I note that WotC_Huscarl said he "should" be able to report back, and that he would pass on news "as it devlops."  I don't see any promises in anything he said.  Perhaps he couldn't report on what he learned, and there was no development to pass on.

Kalex the Omen 

I know that he has been on the road quite a bit for the past ouple of weeks being sent to various conventions here and there, (Note, not an excuse, giving a reason) so I suspect that is why we haven't gotten any information on what is going on yet.

I suspect that it is once again time to threaten to break out the mankini pics.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere

Oh the Humanity!

I note that WotC_Huscarl said he "should" be able to report back, and that he would pass on news "as it devlops."  I don't see any promises in anything he said.  Perhaps he couldn't report on what he learned, and there was no development to pass on.

As I recall, that's correct. I think it would have been best for WotC_Huscarl to have said "I have to revise my estimate of when I'll have something to tell you to $DATE." Yes, they can't win no matter what; no, that doesn't mean they shouldn't try. In my opinion, when they give a date or timeframe to have more information (even a "should be" window), they - as in, whoever gets the job of going on the forum today - should come and say something. Ideally, the WotCies should never miss a communication promise, even a vague one, even if they have no new information on the topic.

Again: In the past I've said "I'd rather they said nothing at all." I was wrong about that, and have revised my position on the matter*. I also understand that they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. They might as well "do."

* Though I maintain I would prefer no comment as opposed to "we're working on Something, and it's really cool!" but really, that's a fine distinction.

I know that he has been on the road quite a bit for the past ouple of weeks being sent to various conventions here and there, (Note, not an excuse, giving a reason) so I suspect that is why we haven't gotten any information on what is going on yet.

Actually being busy with real work is indeed an excuse.

Kalex the Omen 

As I recall, that's correct. I think it would have been best for WotC_Huscarl to have said "I have to revise my estimate of when I'll have something to tell you to $DATE." Yes, they can't win no matter what; no, that doesn't mean they shouldn't try. In my opinion, when they give a date or timeframe to have more information (even a "should be" window), they - as in, whoever gets the job of going on the forum today - should come and say something. Ideally, the WotCies should never miss a communication promise, even a vague one, even if they have no new information on the topic.

Again: In the past I've said "I'd rather they said nothing at all." I was wrong about that, and have revised my position on the matter. I also understand that they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. They might as well "do."

I agree, better communication would be nice, but it not something I am entitled to by buying a few books and subscribing to a service.  As kenjoon pointed out in another thread, it is like buying a music CD from an artist and then expecting that you have unfettered access to that artist becasue of your purchase.  WotC employees have actual work to do, they come here when they can.  I am lucky (cursed) enough to be able to keep this site up at work, and check in from time to time to see what is new.  They may not have the same freedom.  Frankly I think the forums are a courtesy not a requirement.

Kalex the Omen 

His?  Or yours?

Celebrate our differences.

WotC employees have actual work to do, they come here when they can.

While I don't dispute your comments, it seems to me that communicating here on the forums is part of their actual work. It may be low-priority, but it seems like it's part of the job description for at least a couple people. This is not to say that WotC_Huscarl is one of those people, but I wouldn't necessarily dismiss forum posting as being entirely an "on your own time" activity.

(Obviously, I could be entirely wrong about that; it's just my impression of things)

WotC employees have actual work to do, they come here when they can.

While I don't dispute your comments, it seems to me that communicating here on the forums is part of their actual work. It may be low-priority, but it seems like it's part of the job description for at least a couple people. This is not to say that WotC_Huscarl is one of those people, but I wouldn't necessarily dismiss forum posting as being entirely an "on your own time" activity.

(Obviously, I could be entirely wrong about that; it's just my impression of things)

A couple people.  Meaning Trevor?

I would agree that Trevor's entire job seems to be community outreach.  Also the ORCs are employees, right?

Kalex the Omen 

Getting them to do the thing you pay them to do is hardly "doing you a favor"

I would agree that Trevor's entire job seems to be community outreach.  Also the ORCs are employees, right?

Not that the ORCs are paid to hand out info.

Getting them to do the thing you pay them to do is hardly "doing you a favor"

lol, are you WotC_huscarl's boss?

However, it is a natural reaction when you feel that somebody you are paying for a service is deceiving you with regards to the service. 

Besides, it wasn't that insulting.

Really, WotC is starting to make British builders look good (See there is an insult) ! 
Mad Scientist

No, but I'd say their function is entirely forum communication based.  Also I'd like to point out that Trevor is far more reliable than any of the other WotCs around.  That is why I don't often pin my hopes on other WotCs posts.

Kalex the Omen 

No, but I'd say their function is entirely forum communication based.  Also I'd like to point out that Trevor is far more reliable than any of the other WotCs around.  That is why I don't often pin my hopes on other WotCs posts.

Bolded for truth.  Trevor has done an excellent job, IMHO.

Mud, it doesn't take that much to follow through with this, on the road or not. Technology allows us to to do things that once we couldn't. Traveling is NOT an excuse.

Actually being busy with real work is indeed an excuse.

Communicating with us about an update is real work and part of what we pay them to do.

To say it's not is just an attempt to try disenfranchise unhappy customers because you can't handle people not being happy with DDi. Please stop trying to boss of the forums.

I would advise them to stay away, with all of these pitchforks and torches and nooses.  I certainly understand why they would.

Celebrate our differences.

I would advise them to stay away, with all of these pitchforks and torches and nooses.  I certainly understand why they would.

And with all the misinformation that spread before, I would rather have correct info than fast info.

I agree.  Furthermore I do not envy Trevor his job.  I hope he gets paid a ton of money for all the crap he has to deal with.  Unfortunately how these things usually go, he probably doesn't.

Kalex the Omen 

Nobody gets paid enough to deal with the god-damned customers, so that the engineers don't have to.

And hametsuj, by "a couple people" I meant Trevor and WotC_Huscarl, actually. He seems to be around here an awful lot, providing updates; I assume it's part of his job to do so. Like I said, I could be wrong.

I agree.  Furthermore I do not envy Trevor his job.  I hope he gets paid a ton of money for all the crap he has to deal with.  Unfortunately how these things usually go, he probably doesn't.

Wrong again. That's the job he is paid for.

WoTC HAS promised better communications with it's customers. They keep telling us they are getting better and better.

Trevor has made some really bad posts about things in the past, which he then had to go and back track on. Ones where he even said, it was HIS Fault.

If you have upset customers, who's fault is it? Well it seems like it's the companies fault.

Sorry, but once again, this mess is WoTC's making, and they are the ones that can make it better or worse, and so far, they are making it worse.

Regardless of what people say, WoTC is paid to talk to us, they are paid to communicate, and they have an obligation as a publicly traded company to let the public know what is going with the company and their products and services.
Nobody gets paid enough to deal with the god-damned customers, so that the engineers don't have to.

They still took the job, and the money. So, they now have to do the job. As unpleasent as it is at times.

And you know this how?  Maybe he volunteered to brave the forums because no one else aside from Trevor was willing to.

WoTC HAS promised better communications with it's customers. They keep telling us they are getting better and better.

Better does not always mean faster.  Sometimes better takes more time than some of us would like.

Trevor has made some really bad posts about things in the past, which he then had to go and back track on. Ones where he even said, it was HIS Fault.

Hey, more power to him for owning his mistakes.

If you have upset customers, who's fault is it? Well it seems like it's the companies fault.

Sorry, but once again, this mess is WoTC's making, and they are the ones that can make it better or worse, and so far, they are making it worse.

What mess?  All I see is a few forum-goers upset about not getting the information they want.

Regardless of what people say, WoTC is paid to talk to us, they are paid to communicate, and they have an obligation as a publicly traded company to let the public know what is going with the company and their products and services.

Maybe so, but perhaps not quite in exactly the way that you'd like.

I'm a people person!!

And hametsuj, by "a couple people" I meant Trevor and WotC_Huscarl, actually. He seems to be around here an awful lot, providing updates; I assume it's part of his job to do so. Like I said, I could be wrong.

Fair enough.

Maybe so, but perhaps not quite in exactly the way that you'd like.

Woah!  I need to call BS on this one.  I have Dane blocked, but I did see this quoted text.  WotC employees are paid to make games.  They are not paid to communicate with us with 1 or 2 possible exceptions.

I would also have to argue that publicly traded companies have an obligation NOT to release information that could damage the worth of their stock.  Like it or not, the business plan for D&D and DDi is probably considered trade secrets by WotC and Hasbro.  Do you expect that just because you bought a Playstation 3, Sony will keep you in the loop about their design specs for the Playstation 4?  That would just be stupid business practices.

Kalex the Omen 

And you know this how?  Maybe he volunteered to brave the forums because no one else aside from Trevor was willing to.

Trevor has told us this is his job. Someone like Paloa, no it's not part of his job.

Trevor has told us this is his job. Someone like Paloa, no it's not part of his job.

My apologies, I misread and thought you were refering to huscarl.

What mess?  All I see is a few forum-goers upset about not getting the information they want.

Then you aren't really seeing the problem.

It's not just the lack of information. It's the state that DDi is in. Missing tools. Incomplete tools. Missed updates. Reduced content in magazines.

And all our questions about these go largely unanswered.

And it's more then a few forum goers. Are the unhappy customers more then the happy? I can't say, nor can you, nor can anyone really. Probably not even WoTC.

My apologies, I misread and thought you were refering to huscarl.

In general, it's WoTC job to provide communication. So, who ever they allow to speak for WoTC, Trevor, Palao, or huscarl, then yes, that person is being paid to communicate with us.

So, while it's specifically Trevor's job. Anyone that decides to, is getting paid to. No matter what their other job duties are.

Then you aren't really seeing the problem.

Agreed.

It's not just the lack of information. It's the state that DDi is in. Missing tools. Incomplete tools. Missed updates. Reduced content in magazines.

I DM one game and play in two others every week.  I have no issues with the state of DDI.  It includes very powerful tools that do exactly what I need them to.  This is why I brought up perspective.

And all our questions about these go largely unanswered.

And it's more then a few forum goers. Are the unhappy customers more then the happy? I can't say, nor can you, nor can anyone really. Probably not even WoTC.

Well, we can agree that the unhappy are always more vocal.

In general, it's WoTC job to provide communication. So, who ever they allow to speak for WoTC, Trevor, Palao, or huscarl, then yes, that person is being paid to communicate with us.

So, while it's specifically Trevor's job. Anyone that decides to, is getting paid to. No matter what their other job duties are.

I guess my issue with your statement has more to do with how they communicate, and when.  As a customer, you don't get to dictate that.  It's their supervisor's job to determine their performance level and what info they can give.

I guess my issue with your statement has more to do with how they communicate, and when.  As a customer, you don't get to dictate that.  It's their supervisor's job to determine their performance level and what info they can give.

It's funny you should mention "when."  Because when I said to Steve last month that if the fix for the CB doesn't take a month that they should upload it earlier than the next scheduled monthly update some of the same people complaining here laughed at me.  Seems like they knew then that they couldn't expect anything for at least a month, but are now crying foul when a few weeks have gone by.

Kalex the Omen 

Sign In to post comments