06/08/2011 StF: "Damia, Sage of Stone"

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.
Wizards is REALLY opening up deck-design space with the new wedge legends!  Karador seems tailor-made for a Soulshift based spirit deck and now Damia seems, to me at least, designed to support a thresh hold/ madness EDH deck.  Thanks guys

P.S. One With Nothing!
Love this girl so much.  BUG is my favorite color combination, and now I don't have to pack the deck with all those pesky draw spells.  I ALWAYS have a full grip!  Also gives me a use for my Mindslicer.
I was thinking some graveyard recursion theme, but still.. bravo. Damia is going to be a lot of fun. 

---
Modern MTG format supporter 
I want these, but does anyone play Commander on MTGO?  I dont want to waste money on cards Im not gonna use.
Cool card. Like the article says, anything that allows "draw back up to seven" is cool. Only problem is, if someone plays a Winter Orb or something like that and you don't have discard-enablers already, it'll take you a very, very long time to recover because you can only draw cards as fast as you can play spells...

Still, a good card for this format, and it looks fun. However, I'm more curious about something else in this article:
Plus, Damia is not just a fun new card in the blue-black-green "Devour for Power" deck. That deck is more focused around the graveyard-feeding powers of a legendary being called The Mimeoplasm than around the tank-filling capabilities of Damia.

Really? I figured that the white-green-black deck was more graveyard-focused. That's what those colors have in common, after all, and Karador didn't hurt that impression. Are the decks really built around the commander so much that they ignore what the colors themselves do?
Man, now I am starting to want the BUG deck over the WBG deck.  The Mimeoplasm was already a pretty good card but add this card on top of that and the deck seems even better.  I really need to see the entire decklist though before I make any judgements.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I want these, but does anyone play Commander on MTGO?  I dont want to waste money on cards Im not gonna use.

Yes, they do.  There's a half-dozen or so Commander games going on at any point, so you don't have to wait more than a few minutes to get in a game. 
Thanks for your question, Justin!

This is a strange thing for Doug to say, considering he didn't answer the question at all.
She loves the Library of Alexandria.

This is not the post you're looking for.

Might actually get a couple of these for a casual Vintage idea or two. It's a shame about that cost though. Should have been either 6 mana or a 5/5. I suppose it works well for the pet format for which it was created, but it is an interesting idea well beyond that and it would have been nice to see it developed with a larger audience in mind.
Might actually get a couple of these for a casual Vintage idea or two.

Dredge Reanimator?

I really don't have the pieces for a dredge deck unless I want to make a really awful one. But it would likely have to be reanimated to be effective nonetheless. That cost for that creature basically says "don't hardcast me."
I'll admit I got a kick out of the shameless 30 Rock quote in the beginning of the article.

And, um, damn. The RUG deck is still the #1 deck I plan on purchasing, but Damia is doing a mighty good job of unseating the WBG one from second place. I wonder what Ghave does. 
You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
That is one awesome and sexy Gorgon! I didn't want to get into Commander but....crap, how much does a Kidney go for???
I really don't have the pieces for a dredge deck unless I want to make a really awful one. But it would likely have to be reanimated to be effective nonetheless. That cost for that creature basically says "don't hardcast me."

She is part green.  Green is full of mana ramp and a fair amount of mana fixing.  Run some Llanowar Elves and Birds of Paradise and you should have little trouble getting her out.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
She loves the Library of Alexandria.

She also loves the Magus of the Library which doesn't cost upwards of $175.

Doesn't she seem a little to similar to Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur?
On the topic of Treasure Mage: Hello planeswalkers. Look at your hand, now back to me, now back to your hand, now back to me. Sadly, your hand doesn't have a big game-winning bomb in it, but if you searched through your library for an artifact with converted mana cost of 6 or greater, you could get one. Look down, now back up, shuffle your library. Where are you? You're in a Magic game, and you're losing. What's that in your hand? It's a Wurmcoil Engine. Look again, the Wurmcoil Engine is now a ticket to Nagoya. Anything is possible when you cast Treasure Mage. I'm on a dragon. Currently Playing: U/R Burning Vengeance Control 10-2 http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-burning-vengeance-2/
Might actually get a couple of these for a casual Vintage idea or two. It's a shame about that cost though. Should have been either 6 mana or a 5/5. I suppose it works well for the pet format for which it was created, but it is an interesting idea well beyond that and it would have been nice to see it developed with a larger audience in mind.

Even if Damia isn't playable, I think several of the cards that have been previewed so far might be worth playing outside Commander. Sewer Nemesis and Skullbriar, the Walking Grave both look like they would be horrifying in a dredge deck. Trench Gorger is an alternate win condition for a High Tide deck. I think the right dredge, threshold and/or reanimator deck might be able to make a place for Karador, Ghost Chieftain. And Ruhan of the Fomori might be the only card in Commander decks that's actually better in one-on-one games than in multiplayer: in multiplayer, it's a weakness that you can't control who he attacks, but in one-on-one, once you've cast a 7/7 for only 4 mana, you're always going to want to attack the same person with him anyway.
Heavy arbalest my foot.  Damia wants a thornbite staff through which she can spam death rays for 2 mana, or better yet, use the staff with the arbalest.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

That was one of the best Serious Fun articles I've seen yet. Just one question: why was it put in the Savor the Flavor section?

Momus, the Greek god of sarcasm

Pray to him.

I like how he goes from saying: 

You will need high-impact cards that will help you survive the inevitable pummel-fest. It is a format where timid wrist-slappers need not apply. Every card you draw needs to make a big hurt or help you endure one. Ideally, every card you draw works on multiple axes, helping you to advance the fight on one front while staunching the bleeding on two others.

to advocating cards like Psionic Gift and Heavy Arbalest Undecided
I feel like the most broken card with Damia was left out: Dream Halls. You can resolve this very early, (turn 2/3 if you're lucky), drop Damia and have cocounterspells in hand to protect it or just cast a Time Stretch and go to town
I would just like to post the words that escaped my mouth when I read Damia's draw card ability: "Holy !"

Obviously, one of those words is not appropriate for children. Let's just say it rhymes with the little black thing used to score in hockey games.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

I feel like the most broken card with Damia was left out: Dream Halls. You can resolve this very early, (turn 2/3 if you're lucky), drop Damia and have cocounterspells in hand to protect it or just cast a Time Stretch and go to town

In response to your Time Stretch I'll see you a Stranglehold (here until Gatherer updates). Just tickled about that card.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Huh. Remember when these articles used to be about actual flavor? When a previewed legend would come with a whole story attached, a whole idea of who they were and what their abilities meant in terms of the world? When the author would write more than a single paltry paragraph about the art before moving on to the TOTALLY AWESOME ABILITIES?

In short, remember when Matt Cavotta used to write this column?

This article is a perfect example of why I never read this column anymore. It has nothing to say about flavor. It's just Little Dougie filling space with love an affection for card abilities. And even when he gets an opportunity to actually address a flavor question, he just sort of wanders off on a tangent and totally fails to even address the point of the e-mail. I really expected an article about a legendray creature to have something to say about that legend beyond "Oooh, she's intellgient and mysterious and dangerous! Isn't that so cool?!"

I mean, come on. It can't be that difficult to write a flavor column. Jenna Helland manages consistently, as does Brady, and Cavotta before them. Doug Beyer almost never pulls it off. Surely there's someone on the Creative Team that can do better than this.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I'm with Keeper. A lot of the previewed legends hint at greater flavor, never elaborated upon. Some of them have stories suggested at in their boxes, such as Kaalia (vengeance for what?) or Karador (who tried to uncrown him, and what was he king or chief of?), but others are screaming this, as their very names tell us there should be more, like Edric, Spymaster of Trest. Flavor on the non-Legend cards tend to refer to the Legends, but the Legends are not apparently all in their own universe. Inquiring minds want to know.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Thanks for your question, Justin!

This is a strange thing for Doug to say, considering he didn't answer the question at all.

You might have missed the second paragraph.

But as we do more planeswalker cards, I think we'll come to see the flavor of some of these printed variants in another way, too. Jace is a mind mage and Chandra is a fire mage. In each of their cardboard incarnations, they have put on display mechanical abilities that match their mystical profile. In those cases, I see them less as chronological stages of the character and more as the same planeswalker showing up with different magical arsenals prepared.

Bolded for your convenience.

That barb being handled, I must begrudgingly agree with Keeper.  Rarely do I find myself reading the StF column as often as I used to.  Don't get me wrong--the Planeswalker Guides are excellent and are fine works in that space, but it's during the lull between sets that can be a bit lackluster.
Sign In to post comments