Have you spent more or less on D&D in the last year?

99 posts / 0 new
Last post
Out of curiosity, which do you think best describes your spending habits for D&D over the past two years?

1.) I spent more on D&D between June 2009 and May 2010 than between June 2010 and May 2011.
2.) I spent more on D&D between June 2010 and May 2011 than between June 2009 and May 2010.
3.)  I'm not sure whether I spent mroe between June 2009 and May 2010 or between June 2010 and May 2011 - or I think I spent about the same.
4.) I did not buy anything for D&D prior to June 2010.
5.) I have never bought anything for D&D.

If you're not sure whether to go with 2 or 4, go with 4.

I'd love to hear thoughts on why you're answering the question the way you answer it, too.         
D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
Since essentials, I've only bought the monster's vault and the rules compendium.
I spent a lot less, largely because there were far fewer offerings.

I will continue to spend less, regardless of the quantity of future offerings, as long as the "new design paradigm" is in use. I strongly prefer the old 4E design and power levels.
None of the above. I spent the most on 4th ed in 2008 with the original 3 rulesbooks and since then it is a fixed expense of DDI. Looking at the 60+ 3rd ed books I decided to hop off the splatbook train.

Fear is the Mind Killer

probably the same, i pretty much buy everything
No idea...  Although there have been fewer books, I've wanted (and purchased) pretty much everything except Tiles and the DM's Kit.  Also, the 1-year DDI sub was some money.

-O
Haven't bought a book since Dark Sun and Psionic Power.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Definitely 4. The first half of 2009 was dominated by Star Wars Saga Edition and D&D Minis. Then I waked away from WotC until March of this year, when I bought a Compendium. More recently I have had a DDi sub, and I just bought Gloomwrought. Aside from all the minis I purchase (not so much, really, mostly I am re-using stuff from years ago) that's all I've spent on D&D.
Less, due to both a slower release schedule and a shiny new car that devours my spare cash like a little friggin' Tarrasque. If I had the money, I'd certainly buy more. DDI has helped me keep abreast of current releases, at least.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
I spent a lot less, largely because there were far fewer offerings.

This.

Unless you count the money I spent on Gamma World (all three products), in which case I spent more in the past twelve months than in the previous twelve months. But it is not a quality of products issue. It is a quantity of products issue.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I have been pretty consistent, buying like one or two things per year.  However, I have not bought anything released after Dark Sun, as there has been nothing to hold my interest.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
Definitely 1.  I've bought less than half of the products released since Psionic Power.  I used to buy everything as it came out.  I have also spent much less on minis as a consequence of this, since those purchases are driven by new PC or encounter ideas inspired by book material.  I guess you could say Essentials has saved me a lot of money.
Since the cancellation of DDM- way less. I still buy each release that comes out for 4th but, obviously due to a smaller release schedule, I haven't bought as much.

The canceling of the compiled PDF Dragon/Dungeon magazines almost made me quit D&D (buying that is) but I decided in March to give them a year to figure everything out.

I've been very displeased with the "new direction going forward" and ever since Mike Mearls has taken control, I've grown disquieted about just exactly where D&D is headed.
Considerably less purchases for me.  Cancelled DDI subscription, stopped buying books for the most part (except Rules Compendium which I bought a damaged copy of for a discount), nothing really interesting to me right now.

I used to buy every book that came out but no longer.

I am in a wait and see mode right now.  I also am not buying other publisher stuff, just saving my gaming money right now. 
Heroes of the Feywild is the first crunchy supplement that I've planned in advance to not buy. Normally, I'm eagerly awaiting such products. If HoS is an indicator, there simply isn't going to be much in these books that I'll actually use. DDI can fill any gaps.

It makes me sort of sad, really. Oh, well. It's just a game.
Considerably less purchases for me.  Cancelled DDI subscription, stopped buying books for the most part (except Rules Compendium which I bought a damaged copy of for a discount), nothing really interesting to me right now.

I used to buy every book that came out but no longer.

I am in a wait and see mode right now.  I also am not buying other publisher stuff, just saving my gaming money right now. 

I've likewise been looking into other games. I've actually done a ton of online digging into Pathfinder. It feels like a step backward in too many ways, though, so that will likely remain a non-option.
Less.  Dark Sun and Psionic Power were where I "got off" last year.  Since then, I've picked up a copy each of Dungeon Tiles Master Set: The Dungeo and DTMS: The City.  I still plan to get DTMS: The Wilderness at some point.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
My answer would be non-indicative because I only started playing D&D last year. I bought a large number of books then, mostly books that had been out for a while.
"Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” ~Mark Twain
Probably about the same. I really only buy DM suppliments anyway to go along with my DDI account.
I bought about the same I guess, I selected a few books pre-E and a few post-E.
If I bought less it is because of fewer releases like already mentionned above.
If it counts in any way, I have about the same range of books for 4e now that I had for 3/3.5, which mostly consists of all the player's handbooks and monster books and tilesets (in multiple packages), and a selected few powers books.
Like always, future options will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and how it can enhance my campaigns.
-Realize You are your own source of all Creation, of your own master plan.
Money wise I think I spent less- because (I think) there have been far fewer published.  I am essentially the book-provider for all of my friends (and I do like having them in hardcover just because).  I pretty much buy all of the player option-focused books, and usually leave out random fluffy books (like draconomicon, astral sea, etc).  So I bought the DSCS, PsiPow, 2 HotF books, HoS (bleh), and the RC. 
A note to all who think I am being aggressive or angry- 99% of the time, I do not intend to be. I apologize if you think I am attacking you, odds are very strong that I am not. The only exceptions are when people become extremely uncivil to me, and even then I usually ignore them. I think it is very obvious when I am really mad; if I just seem generally abrasive, it is a reflection of my thought process rather than a state of emotion. I have the greatest respect for those who can debate rationally, even if we come to different conclusions. I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

Here's my breakdown since we started playing in January:

Modules/Starter kits: ~$50 AUD
Dungeon tiles: ~$100 AUD
Insider account for six months so far
Miniatures: ~$1500 AUD

I guess I'll have a lot more spare cash for other things when the miniatures run out. Most of that money will likely go to Paizo/Reaper for miniatures.

Hm. My spending, roughly:

Launch - June 2009: $400 (including a DDI subscription)
June 2009 - June 2010: $410 (including a DDI subscription)
June 2010 - June 2011: $200 (including 3 months of a DDI subscription; I got a refund for the rest)

So in the last year, quite a bit less than in prior years. I am slightly surprised that I'm into this game for $1000, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
I buy every books, boxes and tiles, so I bought less in the last year.
A lot less spent in the last year.  I cancelled DDI so no more expense there.  I bought the first essentials book and skipped the second, when I realized it had almost no new info compared to the first.  Monster Vault and HoS, which I am stil of mixed feelings about, and dungeon tiles that's all.

I used to buy almost every book when they came out, with the exception of the planes books, and Gamma World.  Now I buy more supplement products such as maps and tokens, so Paizo and Gale Force 9 gets much more of my bussiness now than WoTC does.
I used to buy almost every book when they came out, with the exception of the planes books, and Gamma World.  Now I buy more supplement products such as maps and tokens, so Paizo and Gale Force 9 gets much more of my bussiness now than WoTC does.

Now that you mention it, Paizo has been getting a lot more of my money over the last couple of months than WotC is. Battle mat, tools, initiative tracker, etc...

Edit: Which is pretty strange, given I play a WotC product. It seems that I can just get better support elsewhere, which is very disappointing. Even the old character builder is better supported than the online one. I don't use either, but the online compendium is useful to me, so they'll keep getting my subscription.
Less.  Dark Sun and Psionic Power were where I "got off" last year.  Since then, I've picked up a copy each of Dungeon Tiles Master Set: The Dungeo and DTMS: The City.  I still plan to get DTMS: The Wilderness at some point.

youre gonna like the wilderness box its great
Less, due to Essentials and the "new direction".

The only thing I've bought since Dark Sun / Psionic Power has been two boxes of dungeon tiles. I also cancelled my DDI subscription and I'm manually (and selectively) updating my old standalone Character Builder with new content and errata. I miss the compendium but since I finished a couple of games I don't play often enough to warrant the expense.
1.) I spent more on D&D between June 2009 and May 2010 than between June 2010 and May 2011.

This.  Assuming you mean WoTC products.... 

Why?  Because all the books I'll ever need as far as 4e is concerned (wich is very few as I'm not a fan of this edition) were published in either 2008 or 2009.
The last thing I bought from them was PHB3 (wich I've since decided is worthless to me).  I think it came out in '10.  If I'm wrong & it was earlier?  Then I spent nothing on WoTC in '10.
Either way, less in 2010 than in '09.  And nothing at all in 2011+   

I bought books on a regular basis on and off of the last couple of years due to university, the CB and the like really kind of eliminated the need to buy the books for me.

That said, the last WoTC product I bought were the DS books, and the only money they've been getting from me has been from DDI.

The DS books and psionic power were the last books my collector friend bought too.

I buy pretty much everything that comes out for D&D.  I'm as much a collector as a gamer.  Glad to know I'm not alone ;).  I was a bit put off by DDE at first.  My buddy sold me on an 'old-school' campaign though ;) and I ended up buying the books anyway.

The slower D&D release schedule has loosened up my entertainment budget immensely; never realized how much I spent on hardcovers each and every month.

The one product that I'm not satisfied with is D&D Insider.  That surprises me, since I was a long time reader and fan of the print magazines.  Oh well, I gave it a fair shot (from day one in fact).  My annual subscription is up, I'm just waiting for somebody to flip the switch ;).  I'll miss out on some stuff but otherwise I see no reason to waste my money. 
/\ Art
With the exception of the new DM screen, I've bought nothing new since the original 3 core book purchase a couple years back.
When I recently decided to adopt the ruleset, I did a 3 temp DDI sub (since cancelled and set to expire) and went on a 4E book buying frenzy, all used, haven't spent for than 10 bucks on a book.
Picked up sealed Monstervault with unpunched tokens, and 3 other Essentials books as part of a lot for around 20 bucks, but they were completely unneccesary and picked up due to a combination of cheap price & curiosity more than anything else.

I've spent loads less but acquired more.
Get the troika folks back, retool TOEE using the current ruleset, Turn Based Combat, of course. Release in December then follow up with expansions covering Against The Giants, The Scourge of the Slave Lords. maybe DLC for the one shot's like Ghost Tower of Inverness, White Plume Mountain, etc. Using the same engine, could throw the Dragonlance folks a bone or two with faithful adaptations of the first 3 mods of that series. Then when it looks about like the engine's run it's course release an adventure editor/builder expansion sort of like the old Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures.
I've definitely spent less this year versus last year.  Even counting all the earlier books that I broke down and bought online when I saw that there wasn't going to be anything of interest after DS.  I didn't really think about how much I was spending on supplements until I was encouraged by quality and quantity decline to stop buying them.  I might have relented and considered Heroes of the Forgotten Lands/Fallen Kingdoms, but softcover?  No thanks.  My hardcovers are having a tough enough time keeping bound.  A softcover would probably disintegrate from the very idea of physical contact.
the books aren't that badly put together.

You just have to remember to slap your players upside the head a few times if they start going all American Tourister Luggage Gorilla on your books.

edit:
Visual aid
www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZeIoLz8FE

Get the troika folks back, retool TOEE using the current ruleset, Turn Based Combat, of course. Release in December then follow up with expansions covering Against The Giants, The Scourge of the Slave Lords. maybe DLC for the one shot's like Ghost Tower of Inverness, White Plume Mountain, etc. Using the same engine, could throw the Dragonlance folks a bone or two with faithful adaptations of the first 3 mods of that series. Then when it looks about like the engine's run it's course release an adventure editor/builder expansion sort of like the old Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures.
like many others, i tried a few E-products, decided the 'new format' wasnt for me, and havent bought anything since then (well aside from Gloomwrought).

so i can definately answer 1.) I spent more on D&D between June 2009 and May 2010 than between June 2010 and May 2011.

i will continue to not-buy products until some direct support for a pre-Essential class appears in dead-tree form. and "here's some mage spells, but the wizard can totally use them too!" doesnt count. new seeker/artificer/runepriest builds and powers would (or implement druid/cleric, or avenger/shaman/bard/xxx, new psionic options, etc).

backwards compatibility is fine, but if that's the only O4e support this new design team is going to give me, then im not going to give them any money.
Bane of Gnomes. "An angel of snuggles is a bad match for evil gods." -Mike Mearls (Worlds&Monsters, p.72)
the books aren't that badly put together.

You just have to remember to slap your players upside the head a few times if they start going all American Tourister Luggage Gorilla on your books.

Your confusing ATLG reference aside, I've got a 3.5 PH and a 4.0 PH.  4.0 has lost several pages including the table of contents in spite of being about 3 years younger.  In addition, the ink on many of the earlier 4e books was prone to smudging, another ailment I cannot readily observe in my 3.5 PH. 

You'd probably have to see it to believe it.  To look at the cover, my 3.5 PH was apparently owned by an enthusiastic infant while my 4.0 PH was at least gifted to a grade-schooler, if not an even older person.  However, 3.5 has retained all of its pages and is relatively unmarked inside while 4.0 has to be treated like the Dead Sea Scrolls lest it crumble to dust. 

Long story short, I love what they did with the system but I hate what they did with the books.

Edit:  You may be referring to baggage handlers or those dreadful luggage inspectors that we endure now.  That makes the most sense.
The only thing I've bought this year was Heroes of Shadow.  So yeah, I've spent a LOT less than I have in the past.  Sad thing - HoS was probably the only D&D book I'll be buying for the rest of the year, too.
Answer number 1. In fact, I spent nothing this year on D&D.
For comparison purpose, I own 20 hard covers, some 30+ WotC minis and seven or so tile sets.
Remember Tunnel Seventeen !
I initially purchased the essentials DM Kit, Monster Vault and Compendium.  Add to that the DDI account which Im not sure I will be continuing after my next 3 months is up... Right now I only use it for tracking characters and the occassional article but generally I find the expense vs. what I get for it to be too uneven to warrant the expense.  I received the Dark Sun Campaign book as a gift.

The only book I plan to buy in the next year is the NeverWinterNights campaign.  Other than that I don't see anything of interest on the calendar at all. 

I personally feel that 4th editions days are numbered in my groups, most of the groups have reverted back to Pathfinder at this point.  Some have switched gears to world of darkness and I get no more requests to run 4th edition at all from any group other than the one 4th edition game currently running with a lot of space inbetween sessions (about one every month or so).  This group however has recently discovered Descent Journey into the dark and since that discovery the game sessions that would be 4th edition games have turned into Descent sessions instead, Im not sure we will be picking up 4th edition anytime in the near future so the end I think has arrived or is very near.

My Blog (The Gamers Think Tank)

"Edition wars like all debates exist because people like debates"

I've spent more, but only because I've been getting a ton of 40% off coupons at borders so been using them to round out my collection.

I was there the other day with another coupon and couldn't really see anything I wanted that bad. So I think I'm good with what I have - I have enough material to last me a lifetime.  I think I'll cut myself off, and perhaps drop DDI once they provide the themes and hybrid rules this month.
Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
I have been pretty consistent, buying like one or two things per year.  However, I have not bought anything released after Dark Sun, as there has been nothing to hold my interest.

Same here.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.