[WoA] Question about powers...

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

New to the game and I have a question about powers...

How many can I use in a turn?  My question comes from the Cleric's power's specifically...

Can I use "The Healing Hymn" Utility Power:

You sing a soothing song that seals the wounds of you and your allies.
Use this power during your Hero Phase.
You and one other Hero on your tile regain 2 Hit Points.

and then also use the "Cleric's Shield" At-Will Power?

You utter a minor defensive prayer as you strike your foe.
Attack one adjacent Monster.
Hit or Miss: Choose 1 Hero on your tile. That Hero gains a +2 bonus to AC until you use this power again.

I inititally thought that I could only use one of these per turn but the more I think about it the more I get confused... ha... probably over thinking it but any insight would be helpful.

Thanks.
You can make 1 attack each turn; at-will powers and daily powers count towards this - this includes powers which don't actually make an attack such as Blade Barrier. Any exceptions are clearly stated on the card; eg the dragonborn's breath doesn't count towards your limit of actions you can perform that turn.

Utility Spells don't count towards the limit of actions you can take each turn, unless of course they say they do (eg a couple utility powers state you use them 'instead of moving').

A power such as the fighter at-will Charge, which allows you to move up to your speed then attack still only count as using an attack and you could have moved before it, or after (but not both). eg There's a Kobold 9 spaces away. The fighter uses her movement to go 5 spaces closer, then uses the at-will charge to Charge it (move the remaining 4 spaces and make an attack).

The way I usually explain it to those familiar with the D&D RPG:

It helps to think of breaking it down into Actions like in the RPG; You get one Standard Action, one Move Action, and as many Free Actions as you want. You can also use your Standard Action as an extra Move Action instead. At-Wills & Dailies require a Standard Action unless it specifies elsewhere, and Utilities are Free Actions (again unless specified elsewhere).

Anything saying 'instead of attacking' costs a Standard Action.
Anything saying 'instead of moving' costs a Move Action. 
why would a daily count as your one action?  I thought everything goes by what the cards state. If it says "Do this instead of attacking" it would use your attack option, but, if it didnt specify, it would be a spell you could cast without using 1 of your 2 action types.
why would a daily count as your one action?  I thought everything goes by what the cards state. If it says "Do this instead of attacking" it would use your attack option, but, if it didnt specify, it would be a spell you could cast without using 1 of your 2 action types.

The rules specifically say using a daily or at-will power counts as your attack action (Unless the card specifically says otherwise). So using a power such as Blade Barrier is an attack action, even if it doesn't directly attack a target.

Utility Powers do not count as your attack power unless they say so, but they can cost your move action (again the card will specify if there is a cost, if there isn't its a "free action"). 

The rules specifically say using a daily or at-will power counts as your attack action (Unless the card specifically says otherwise). So using a power such as Blade Barrier is an attack action, even if it doesn't directly attack a target.

Utility Powers do not count as your attack power unless they say so, but they can cost your move action (again the card will specify if there is a cost, if there isn't its a "free action"). 

I'm sorry, where exactly does it say that all daily or at-will powers count as attacks (unless the card says otherwise)? All I can find is rules implicating that only attack powers (daily or at-will) count as attacks.
Der Leiter, please enlighten us on which page exactly is it written black on white that using a power counts as an attack?

As far as I'm concerned, if a power does not mention the word ATTACK anywhere, it's not an attack.

You can make 1 attack each turn; at-will powers and daily powers count towards this - this includes powers which don't actually make an attack such as Blade Barrier.

I beg to differ.  Unless the power specifically states that it is to be used in lieu of an attack or a move, it can be played IN ADDITION to your hero's move-attack/attack-move/move-move action.

If you wish to equate the move-attack action to the standard action/move action options in the base D&D game, then it would make sense to treat any power/item that does not specifically replace an attack or a move as a free action (again, in line with base D&D).  I suppose you could interpret these kinds of powers/items as minor actions and limit yourself to just one extra action per phase, but that would be a house rule at best.
You can make 1 attack each turn; at-will powers and daily powers count towards this - this includes powers which don't actually make an attack such as Blade Barrier.

I beg to differ.  Unless the power specifically states that it is to be used in lieu of an attack or a move, it can be played IN ADDITION to your hero's move-attack/attack-move/move-move action.

Funny...now that I've said this, I find I may have been mistaken on a point.  I reviewed the WoA rule book (p.8) and found these lines:

"Daily Powers are the strongest attacks you have access to in the game."
"Utility powers are special maneuvers that don't actively attack Monsters but instead provide other advantages."

So, in a way, I was both right and wrong.  At-Will and Daily Powers should be considered attacks, even if they don't specifically mention being an attack.  However utility powers should specify or they should be considered a free action.  I would say the same free action assumption applies to treasure items/potions/etc. as well if they do not specify replacing an attack or move.  This seems to be more in keeping with the base D&D game rules as well.
I'm a bit puzzled about this action management in the game, e.g. what counts as an attack or not. I tend to use RP approach to sort those situations, but some players I sit with are more core rule oriented, and I would have lilke to have a consistent approach there. If all cards would specify action points that would be much more easy to deal with.

As an example, you kill a monster, get a trasure card (potion time), use it, regain life, move, pick some treasure on the way, get an armor, wear it, is that correct ?