Is it too soon to speculate about Innistrad?

29 posts / 0 new
Last post

I think it is not.

The tagline "Horror Lurks Within" has got people thinking Morph, and this is possible, but it was brought back only a few years ago in Time Spiral and I'm not sure it deserves a threepeat this soon.

But I did abruptly think of one card that might fit that slogan:

Show
Fleshwrither

What if this is the Transfigure block?  Just think of it - a secret legion of shapeshifting monstrosities infiltrate an entire plane, so you never know what form they're going to take next!  That's what I call "horror lurking within".

Shadowmoor and New Phyrexia both did a good job of being "horror world" sets, but we haven't seen something that really hits the archetype of "body horror".  New Phyrexia is just close enough that this could be a good segue.  And hey, Fleshwrither looks not entirely dissimilar to the Eldrazi, so maybe they're behind the Transfigure invasion - or maybe Phyrexia is - OR BOTH!
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
I believe all "gothic", "dark" and even "punk" futureshifted cards were already mentioned in the first wave of speculations.
With innistrad possibly being a dark set, and with almost everybody playing vampire decks (Look at the prices of the intro packs: Rise of the Vampires; Fangs of the Bloodchief; and Reign of Vampirism), and you will find that those intro packs are more expensive than the other ones from the same set they were in.

I do hope after innistrad, we will be seeing a couple of blocks that has absolutely not trace of vampires and all that goth kids stuff, essentially, something bright and happy happens for a change.  I don't know, something like lorwyn.

But who knows.  May innistrad starts off dark and goth like, and some unknown pixies arrive and turn the place all bright and happy.  I don't know.  It be cool if it did.  I could imagine all those vampire lovers cursing and hating the idea.  Wait a minute, didn't Edward from Twilight turn all bright and happy when he went out into the sun?  I dunno, maybe Innistrad is one giant Edward?  It be hilarious if it was.

I can see it now.  The plane is all dark, no sun.  Then magically a sun appears and the plane sparkles.  HAHAHAHAHAHA.  I couldn't stop laughing.  But I am serious.  We keep on getting dark tones and all that stuff goth kids like.  First it was vampires with zendikar, then it was Mirrodin succumbing to the Phyrexian darkness, then Innistrad itself is dark, based off that one picture.  So I hope either innistrad eventually turns light hearted, or the next block is completely light hearted devoid of anything that goth kids would like.  Something along the lines of Rainbow Brite.  Too bad Murky Dismal took over Zendikar, Mirrodin, and possibly Innistrad.  But not too extreme.

It be totally messed up if Liliana suddenly knew how to use white mana, so that she would become a black white planeswaker.  Her appearance looks as if she could be in a bleeder deck.

And you know what horrors lurk within?  My little Pony, Rainbow Brite, Care Bears, and the biggest one, Barney the Dinosaur.  OH THE HORROR.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS

I do hope after innistrad, we will be seeing a couple of blocks that has absolutely not trace of vampires and all that goth kids stuff, essentially, something bright and happy happens for a change.  I don't know, something like lorwyn.

If you miss the "brighter" side of Magic, you should check the core editions. Note that most Magic expansion sets had a horror element in them (especially in black, unsurprisingly) - and I wouldn't call Phyrexians your typical "goth kids stuff".

There were only few "happy" MTG sets ever; MTG flavour was always about epic stories and not cheerful fairy tales. That is, except Lorwyn, which was pretty much unique (and god, did I hate it at first).
With innistrad possibly being a dark set, and with almost everybody playing vampire decks (Look at the prices of the intro packs: Rise of the Vampires; Fangs of the Bloodchief; and Reign of Vampirism), and you will find that those intro packs are more expensive than the other ones from the same set they were in.

But who knows.  May innistrad starts off dark and goth like, and some unknown pixies arrive and turn the place all bright and happy.  I don't know.  It be cool if it did.  I could imagine all those vampire lovers cursing and hating the idea.  Wait a minute, didn't Edward from Twilight turn all bright and happy when he went out into the sun?  I dunno, maybe Innistrad is one giant Edward?  It be hilarious if it was.

I can see it now.  The plane is all dark, no sun.  Then magically a sun appears and the plane sparkles.  HAHAHAHAHAHA.  I couldn't stop laughing.  But I am serious.  We keep on getting dark tones and all that stuff goth kids like.  First it was vampires with zendikar, then it was Mirrodin succumbing to the Phyrexian darkness, then Innistrad itself is dark, based off that one picture.  So I hope either innistrad eventually turns light hearted, or the next block is completely light hearted devoid of anything that goth kids would like.  Something along the lines of Rainbow Brite.  Too bad Murky Dismal took over Zendikar, Mirrodin, and possibly Innistrad.  But not too extreme.

It be totally messed up if Liliana suddenly knew how to use white mana, so that she would become a black white planeswaker.  Her appearance looks as if she could be in a bleeder deck.

And you know what horrors lurk within?  My little Pony, Rainbow Brite, Care Bears, and the biggest one, Barney the Dinosaur.  OH THE HORROR.

Sounds like somebody hates conflict... and goth kids. 

Anyways whats wrong with vampires? They obviously haven't been the  metrosexual sparkling vampires of twilight. They have been bloodthirst, flying, deathtouching, lifelinking, anything that isn't also a vampire hating monsters strait out of any good fairy tale. as long as vampires stay sequestered in their black mana prison (they can still share allied colors of course) then I have no problem with them. I'll take a vampire over a zombie or an ooze any day. 

That said, if they decide to make a vampire that isnt touched by the black mana, I will be the first one to pick up my wooden stake and flask of holy water.   
Q: Why do Vikings love bad puns? A: Because they **** and pillage your ears. I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Ok fine.  I'll reword my whole post.  Could we at least NOT get any expansion that focuses on BLACK, or has a dark tone to it that it looks like as if the set was another Torment?

Why can't we have a pirate themed set, where Blue is the dominating color?

It has been 3 years already, and black has been the dominating color.  First it was the vampire, where it is too good, that the 3 vampire based intro packs are more expensive than the others.  Second it was a faction that was entirely black finally winning, but I didn't mind that, another dark toned set isn't that bad.  Now we have Innistrad, which possibly will be another dark toned set.  With things going on here, I do really hope that for this block, black will be the least popular color.

We have seen only one picture of what is supposed to be Liliana, so I can't comment if Innistrad is truly a dark toned plane.  What I do hope is that the new Liliana card could use white mana along with black.  We haven't seen a planeswalker who could use enemy colors.  Tezz is blue black, Sarkhan is Red Black, Nissa is Green, but could use Black, and Liliana looks like if she could be in a bleeder deck, with all that cool life drain stuff, and lifelink.

It would be cool if each of the original 5 planeswalkers could use an enemy color.  So far, Ajani has a bit of red in it, from his vengeance.  Garruk seems to have been corrupted a bit from that comic, so he can use a bit of black.  Liliana can use white, Jace can use green, and Chandra can use blue.  Now that would be awesome.
Ajani Vengeant is enemy colors. Red and White are enemies your aware. And stop hating on the goth kids I mean seriously how many times have the villains ever won. Not many. And I'm assuming Ajani and Liliana are getting new cards hence the switch to Gideon and Sorin in the Core Set. But those new cards with be mono black/white cuz there's no reason to make her anything other than black. And I'm assuming it's black mana themed because Garruk is gonna be B/G and Liliana is staying mono black so thats two black planeswalkers we know of. Also stop whining and don't buy the sets if you don't like them or think theyre too gothic i mean for real grow up.
Photobucket

It has been 3 years already, and black has been the dominating color.  First it was the vampire, where it is too good, that the 3 vampire based intro packs are more expensive than the others.  Second it was a faction that was entirely black finally winning, but I didn't mind that, another dark toned set isn't that bad.  Now we have Innistrad, which possibly will be another dark toned set.  With things going on here, I do really hope that for this block, black will be the least popular color.

Yeah that's not entirely true. White is the most dominant color by far atm with blue as a close second. Yes, some intro packs will cost more than others, usually because of the rares that come included. Believe me, they aren't more expensive for any other reason than that the other decks have bad rares. Phyrexia isn't a black faction anymore? Did you sleep through the scars block?

We have seen only one picture of what is supposed to be Liliana, so I can't comment if Innistrad is truly a dark toned plane.  What I do hope is that the new Liliana card could use white mana along with black.  We haven't seen a planeswalker who could use enemy colors.  Tezz is blue black, Sarkhan is Red Black, Nissa is Green, but could use Black, and Liliana looks like if she could be in a bleeder deck, with all that cool life drain stuff, and lifelink.

Innistrad is probably going to be dark themed from the rumors, the tagline, and the fact that the story is continuing the Lilliana/Garruk storyline. I imagine planeswalkers will become more diverse as we move through sets but I'm not sure enemy color walkers are going to be popping up before we see more of the allied walkers. Odds are Liliana is going to stay black, white mana doesn't really make sense for her as she's not a good character at her core, she's an anti-hero with strong evil ties.

Also Lorwyn block was terrible in everyway/shape/form from my perspective. The cuteness factor was sickening and tribes isn't really something I dig. I tried sticking with it but I ended up quitting the game from Lorwyn all the way through to Rise of Eldrazi. From what I've heard standard was terribly boring for a looong time with faries and Jund. So I'd rather them keep the dark theme going personally, this game is about blood and death, not cotton candy and tinkerbell.

Ajani Vengeant is enemy colors. Red and White are enemies your aware. And stop hating on the goth kids I mean seriously how many times have the villains ever won. Not many. And I'm assuming Ajani and Liliana are getting new cards hence the switch to Gideon and Sorin in the Core Set. But those new cards with be mono black/white cuz there's no reason to make her anything other than black. And I'm assuming it's black mana themed because Garruk is gonna be B/G and Liliana is staying mono black so thats two black planeswalkers we know of. Also stop whining and don't buy the sets if you don't like them or think theyre too gothic i mean for real grow up.

I think you're right on Lilliana but I suspect Ajani got evicted for not being used enough.
also in response to the threads name, Is it ever too soon to speculate in the FSS forum? I think not. Heck I'm ready to speculate on "Rattle" and "Roll" at this point. If you want I could even be persuaded to speculate on "Hook."
Q: Why do Vikings love bad puns? A: Because they **** and pillage your ears. I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.

Good point, Ajani isnt really used, Gideon is. and it's good business because Gideon's worth a decent amount, but yea. That's why Garruk stayed the same in core i think because his Innistrad card will be different colors unlike Liliana's who will be the same color and I don't think they want two same name same color with different abilities planeswalkers floating around in standard like Big and Baby Jace/Chandra. Because that didn't turn out very well.

Photobucket
I'm going to have to agree with signofzeta.

I had played the game before, but really started to get into Magic for real around Time Spiral. I liked the block overall, and I loved the nostalgia despite it not technically being nostalgic for me. However, the whole apocalypse thing seemed pretty common around then, and the drab scenes, barren landscapes, and disheveled characters were kinda boring and depressing.

Lorwyn was a nice change of pace from this, but then it went all dark too with Shadowmoor. Alara had some balance at first, and I loved the theme of Bant and the look of Naya, but the darker shards didn't seem to get that much less dark when the shards started merging, while all the nicer shards started getting nasty as well. Not to mention, the entire thing was a gambit played out by an infallible archvillain.

I'm not too familiar with Zendikar, but unleashing Cthulu on a ridiculously treacherous world is pretty dark.

Scars of Mirrodin is probably the worst yet, however, with an old villain coming back and completely taking over a planet by corrupting it in some of the most disturbing ways possible.

Now, I have nothing against any of these on their own. In fact, I think Mirrodin sitting around for awhile as a Chekhov's Gun to create a new Phyrexia is a pretty awesome story. However, there's a big difference between 'engaging conflict' and 'hope is naive'. There's a million stories you can tell on interesting planes without having to bring in a nasty demonic faction that dominates the story.

How about a plane with a war between rival kingdoms that each have their pros and cons? How about one about the sea?

But it's a trend far wider than Magic, however, so I don't see it changing anytime soon. Villains may not win often, no, but there's a reason for that. It's depressing, and if the heroes of the story were written well, you should hate it. Fiction is usually an escape. Why would you want to escape to a place where the villains win?

And speaking of the way heroes are written, that's another problem. Villains don't need to win nowadays, because the heroes are either written specifically so you don't like them, or they'd be indistinguishable from villains if they weren't the protagonist, because too many people seem to think that's "cool" nowadays.
New Phyrexia still has a dark tone, no matter how many colors of the rainbow the Phyrexians are.  Look at the New Phyrexia lands.  Look at its scenery.  The plains aren't any more white, and the islands aren't any more oceanic and blue.  All 5 lands have a dark tone to them.  My problem with this is that, the whole dark tone thing has been done for 3 years already.  If the block after innistrad also is a dark toned block, I don't know what to think other than that WOTC is doing the same stuff over and over, and it is repetitive.  It isn't a problem when you do it once in a while, such as Tempest has a dark mood, and the blocks before and after that weren't even dark at all.  And note that Black isn't necessarily always the bad guy.  You can have the bad guys win, and have the plane turn all bright and cheery.  It is our interpretation and our culture that categorizes dark and gloomy things as something bad.  If Innistrad was released fall 2012, and some set that didn't have a dark mood was released fall 2011 instead, I would be fine with it, just as long as we don't get the same crap multiple years in a row.

Starting with the original Mirrodin Block, up to the lorwyn block, the themes for each block are completely different, and unique.  Ever since Zendikar, everything seems to be the same, as if there was a lack in creativity in creating the block.  And no.  If Liliana can use white magic, it does not mean she becomes a holy paladin with the power of justice.  That isn't how it is.  Have you even heard of the Orzhov guild?  And didn't M10 have Chandra and Jace?  And aren't they both featured in the Zendikar block?

Honestly, I don't know if a block is allowed to have 2 of the same planeswalker, but different abilities signifying how that one planeswalker changes from the beginning of the block to the end, but it could be a possibility that Liliana may learn how to use white magic along with her dominant black by the end of the block.  It may happen, it may not.  This is all purely speculation.  It takes creativity to make such a thing happen.  We all knew that Ajani was a pure white planeswalker.  It took some creativity such as revenge against Nicol Bolas, to make an excuse to include red in Ajani Vengeant.

I feel that black and white decks are usually bleeder decks, and are more associated with a dark tone than a holy crusade type of thing.  So if Liliana can use white magic, along with her black, hence a black white planeswalker, she would still have her dark feel to her.  If you have played a bleeder deck, you would know that your goal is to suck your opponent's life dry while gaining your own life.  It fits the bill for Liliana, because she wants to suck her opponents dry while maintaining her own health.  And besides, didn't the Orzhov have a gothic look too?  I think it is about time this set introduced a Black White planeswalker.  It may be Liliana, or it may be someone else.
I believe but from pure speculation from the name that Wizards is going to go another route. It seems that it could easily begin with a dark and gothic feeling and slowly go over how the good guys end up taking over the plane of course at the same time I feel magic is supposed to be serious and not just faires and toys. Every set so far may have not had a dark theme so much as a serious theme. The original mirrodin seemed some what dark if you actually followed the storyline and all but it was more about being serious and not actually about it being darked themed. Many people now days realize that good and evil are all in the eyes of the beholder and wizars plays off of this. Wizards with dungeons and dragons and magic also are meant to be serious games something that reminds you of what fantasy was originally. If you want a light and fulffy world where everything is good go play pokemon. Me I want to feel as if this is a world where people would go adventuring I remember when I used to have a regular gaming group and each new plane magic intriduced we always converted to DnD in order to see if it really felt like a world where planeswalkers would be doing battle.
I think we're going to see mono-color and tribal push (since Lorwyn was nearly 4 years ago, so it's almost due for another one and Richard Garfield is on the design team). I can also almost forecast for certain that the set will have several nifty- but under appreciated mechanics, perhaps involving a manipulatable chance factor?
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
New Phyrexia still has a dark tone, no matter how many colors of the rainbow the Phyrexians are.  Look at the New Phyrexia lands.  Look at its scenery.  The plains aren't any more white, and the islands aren't any more oceanic and blue.  All 5 lands have a dark tone to them.  My problem with this is that, the whole dark tone thing has been done for 3 years already.  If the block after innistrad also is a dark toned block, I don't know what to think other than that WOTC is doing the same stuff over and over, and it is repetitive.  It isn't a problem when you do it once in a while, such as Tempest has a dark mood, and the blocks before and after that weren't even dark at all.  And note that Black isn't necessarily always the bad guy.  You can have the bad guys win, and have the plane turn all bright and cheery.  It is our interpretation and our culture that categorizes dark and gloomy things as something bad.  If Innistrad was released fall 2012, and some set that didn't have a dark mood was released fall 2011 instead, I would be fine with it, just as long as we don't get the same crap multiple years in a row.

Starting with the original Mirrodin Block, up to the lorwyn block, the themes for each block are completely different, and unique.  Ever since Zendikar, everything seems to be the same, as if there was a lack in creativity in creating the block.  And no.  If Liliana can use white magic, it does not mean she becomes a holy paladin with the power of justice.  That isn't how it is.  Have you even heard of the Orzhov guild?  And didn't M10 have Chandra and Jace?  And aren't they both featured in the Zendikar block?

Honestly, I don't know if a block is allowed to have 2 of the same planeswalker, but different abilities signifying how that one planeswalker changes from the beginning of the block to the end, but it could be a possibility that Liliana may learn how to use white magic along with her dominant black by the end of the block.  It may happen, it may not.  This is all purely speculation.  It takes creativity to make such a thing happen.  We all knew that Ajani was a pure white planeswalker.  It took some creativity such as revenge against Nicol Bolas, to make an excuse to include red in Ajani Vengeant.

I feel that black and white decks are usually bleeder decks, and are more associated with a dark tone than a holy crusade type of thing.  So if Liliana can use white magic, along with her black, hence a black white planeswalker, she would still have her dark feel to her.  If you have played a bleeder deck, you would know that your goal is to suck your opponent's life dry while gaining your own life.  It fits the bill for Liliana, because she wants to suck her opponents dry while maintaining her own health.  And besides, didn't the Orzhov have a gothic look too?  I think it is about time this set introduced a Black White planeswalker.  It may be Liliana, or it may be someone else.

I addresed Chandra in Jace being in Zendikar and M11 at the same time. And tell me you did not say from zendikar on? Seriously? Thats two blocks.

And Zendikar wasn't dark, it wasn't bright happy fairies but it certainly wasn't dark. Alara became darker in the end because it was basically becoming an apacolypse and theyre entire world was changing(literally). Zendikar wasn't dark. it was setting the stage for a villain im positive will be defeated next time we see them. Why? because the villains just one for once and that was only after they got completely wrecked in the first place. New Phyrexia is meant to be dark. that was the point. They want you to feel bad for the Mirrans, they want you to be saddended by it.

And I don't believe Liliana will be B/W, there's no reason for it. Flavor or Mechanical wise. It doesn't make sense. It would be better for them to bring in a completely new planeswalker than try to randomly justify her changing colors. and Ajani Veangent was before MonoWhite Ajani. Not chronologically maybe but story wise, yes.

Oh and lastly, not all things dark and gloomy are bad. It's all perspective, what you were raised to think. We see things as bad because thats how we were raised. Like the Phyrexians, they don't see taking over Mirrodin as bad and neither do i. They were trying to survive. And they were raised not to have mercy, not to care. So they don't, and therefore they don't percieve it as bad.

EDIT: Oh and because from Mirrodin-Lorwyn were all self contained stories, all the stories now are gonna tie in together, at the moment Wizards is intro ducing the main Villains. Currently, Phyrexia, Eldrazi and Nicol Bolas. You can't make them unique because its all tied to the same story, it'll start gettging brighter (maybe and hopefully not) after the main heroes are introduced and everything starts really tying in together. Patience is a virtue.
Photobucket
@heartlessnobody: I love that idea of Garruk being b/g I hope your right. My b/g infect deck would love him for longer games.

Also I don't think the b/w Lilliana would be that out of place. After all white doesn't have to represent holy and purity and everything. It can also symbolize order. So if Lilliana gained it from a sense of order (maybe she's ruling a plane and manipulating everything. Order is a form of control afterall) then I wouldn't have a problem with it.
I am Red/Green
Ik that white isnt like holy goodness an everything but idk it just seems like a better move to make a completely different planeswalker if they wanted to do that, I don't think her ruling a plane is enough to justify becoming white. It took massive anger and hate for Ajani to be red white. And once he mellowed out he turned monowhite. It took Garruk getting owned by Liliana and becoming oBsessed with finding and killing her for him to become B/G. I just can't see there being a big enough reason for her to be black white at this ppooint. maybe depending on where the story goes but otherwise it just seems unnecesarry.
Photobucket
Ik that white isnt like holy goodness an everything but idk it just seems like a better move to make a completely different planeswalker if they wanted to do that, I don't think her ruling a plane is enough to justify becoming white. It took massive anger and hate for Ajani to be red white. And once he mellowed out he turned monowhite. It took Garruk getting owned by Liliana and becoming oBsessed with finding and killing her for him to become B/G. I just can't see there being a big enough reason for her to be black white at this ppooint. maybe depending on where the story goes but otherwise it just seems unnecesarry.

If Liliana gets a secondary color, White would be the obvious choice as opposed to Blue, Red, or Green.  Blue would probably come in at second.

But we'll see how Innistrad's storyline is, because with creativity, anything goes.  WOTC can totally shock us and Liliana is Black Green, or Black Red, which would make the least sense, compared to Black White.

But I do have to say is this.  Making the Innistrad Liliana have more than 3 abilities is a huge no no.  Look what happened to JTMS and you would realize that it is a big mistake.

Note that I never said anything about her becoming white.  I said that she is able to use white, for selfish purposes of course.  For example.  You play a mono black deck.  You splash a bit of white in it.  Do you feel you are a black mage or a white mage?

Another example.  If Hitler was a magic card, what color(s) would he be?

The ruling a plane thing was just an example of a situation where I would find it acceptable. Like you said the story WOULD have to justify the change but I think it could definately be done.

Also I haven't heard anything about Garruk becoming B/G so we might be jumping the gun on that just a bit. If anything I think I would have more of a problem from a flavor standpoint with him being a B/G walker then with her being a B/W walker.

I just feel that Black and White despite also being an enemy pair like B/G is less of a jump thematically then B/G. Both are usually tied to religion, order, and control but what sets them apart is motives and modus operandi. 

Black and Green have always seemed alien to me. One about life, strong, thriving creatures, access to an abundance of mana. where the other is death, decay, and access to anything if you sacrifice enough to get it. Maybe thats just me though. As I said mechanically I would still love B/G garruk.
I am Red/Green

Why hasnt anyone thought to speculate if that u/g merfolk pw is gonna be flippin her lil mermaid butt around innistred. I mean they said that she would necessarily be in the next block but come on they said that about nissa and she made her way into zendikar (and she sucked so lets hope they learned two things from zen- strictly tribal pws blow, and jtms is broken)

I think white would make sense for Liliana as a secondary color, but it would make even more sense just to keep her mono-black.  She always struck me that way.  But who knows?  As already said creative can do pretty much whatever they want.

As for the set, I don't mind a darker feel, and I actually think a gothic theme could be really cool.  What I don't want to see is the "destruction" pattern that we seem to be seeing quite often recently.  
Here is what I mean
- Scars of Mirrodin:  We start out with a relatively pure Mirrodin and watch as it is inevitably corrupted
- Zendikar:  Introduced to a really cool "adventure world," which is promptly destroyed by the Eldrazi.
- Alara:  Each shard is smashed together, and while not completely destroyed, still drastically altered
- Lorwyn/Shadowmoor:  Idyllic fairytale world turned into a nightmare.  

So basically we always start out with a really cool plane, which is then drastically altered, destroyed, or invaded in some catastrophic event.  I think that individually these are each really cool (I especially loved the switch from Lorwyn to Shadowmoor), but after a few years it gets a little repetetive.  At the same time, though, i can understand why Wizards likes this structure: it lends itself very well to block building.  First set sets up the world and the conflict.  Second set brings conflict to the climax, and the third set is the aftermath.  I just wish they could do this without having to completely alter the world introduced in the first set.  This is why my favorite set is probably Ravnica: we got to see the beginning, middle, and end clearly, but didn't have to blow up the plane in the process.

tl;dr:  I like the dark flavor, but I hope they can manage a set without a culminating disaster being the only plot point.
Back when Shadowmoor came out I wrote a neat article about five different color "flavors" of evil, and Innistrad looks to be Shadowmoor minus the faerie tale ambiance, so I'm hoping it will look exactly like what I was thinking back then.  But I agree that having this come right on the heels of New Phyrexia is a bit much and it'd be nice to have something less grimdark after that.

You know what would be a really neat twist?  To have a set which is themed around White Horror.  Have the villainous force be these Pollyanna people who suppress individuality and bleach all the excitement out of life in order to make everything bland and safe.  They'd be like "Brave New World", burning books to keep people from being exposed to disruptive ideas, spraying every natural surface with disinfectant and shellac in order to create a kinder, gentler cycle of life, and mummifying the dead and interring them in hermetically sealed tombs to keep them sanitary.  Even White would suffer at their hands, because they would be out to suppress disruptive loyalties such as love, patriotism or religious fervor, all because those things create confict.  They'd probably resort to brainwashing in order to make everyone get along, and they might well either do plastic-surgery on everyone to make them all beautiful (think of the Lorwyn elves or the way Victorian society treated Joseph Merrick, the Elephant Man), or else do a Harrison Bergeron thing where everyone is robbed of any unfair advantages they possess over anyone else.

As a fan of Changeling: the Lost, I'm very familiar with the idea that horror doesn't need to be grimdark - making it cheerybright can be just as terrifying.  It's all about being unbalanced, obsessed to a psychotic degree with making the world bend to your preferences, regardless of the cost.  Any color could adopt such a mentality.
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Llook in the webcomics involving Liliana and Garruk to see. he's clearly(at least in my eyes) starting to feel black mana.

@willpell did you take the brainwash and plastic surgery idea from th uglies series?

I'm fine with Liliana being Blak/White but they have to justify it. I like her as mono black and see no reason to change it. She also never seems like or alludes to wanting or being able to use white mana,  so at least for now im like 99% sure ses staying mono black. 
Photobucket
Here's a hint at my guess with where the flavor is going folks... Time Spiral featured the "mending" of the multiverse, an event where Planeswalkers changed the mechanics of the multiverse to fix damage done beforehand.  Thus- I think we're going to see a second Time Spiral (this could be Innistrad) where the multiverse is saved from something that went very wrong in the first mending
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
@willpell did you take the brainwash and plastic surgery idea from th uglies series?

Never heard of it.  These are just the logical consequences of taking white's "harmony uber alles" ethos to the ultimate logical extreme.

Here's a hint at my guess with where the flavor is going folks... Time Spiral featured the "mending" of the multiverse, an event where Planeswalkers changed the mechanics of the multiverse to fix damage done beforehand.  Thus- I think we're going to see a second Time Spiral (this could be Innistrad) where the multiverse is saved from something that went very wrong in the first mending

I think this is unlikely, since (as mentioned above) the last three sets have introduced powerful new vilains to the story, and Wizards left the story open-ended, so I think either Innistrad is going to give us a new villain (demons, Liliana herself perhaps), or it will give us some powerful heroes that can go back and fix the damage done by Bolas, the Eldrazzi, and the Phyrexians.
Check out my blog, Anarion's Last Stand, with such diverse topics as poetry, writing, and [insert blog topic here] Anarionslaststand.blogspot.com I am the stone that comes not from the sea. I am the blood but the blood is not me. I am the key to the door with no locks. I am the mainspring that winds broken clocks. I am your tears on the chains of the rack. I am your gift and you can't give me back.
Liliana might not be specially cruel or savage, but she is still a selfish, daredevil, unscrupulous freelance planeswalker, who had no trouble, moral or otherwise, in making a deal with some demons and then betraying them on the first opportunity. I could see something like black or red on her, but flavor-wise she's as nonwhite and nongreen as it goes without being the kind of outright evil we associate with fantasy villains.

Also, not all Magic villains have been black... This might hold true for the whole Weatherlight Saga, and the storylines before it, but after that we've had Laquatus in Odissey (blue), Akroma (white) and Ixidor (blue) were also somewhat villains, as was Karona (five colors), Memnarch (blue) in Mirrodin, the Kami (all colors), the Soratami and Mochi (blue) and Konda (white) in Kamigawa (the same block in which Toshi, Marrow-Gnawer and Kiku were all black and somewhat "heroes"), Momir Vig (green and blue) in the final part of Ravnica, and IIRC there wasn't exactly a "villain" in Time Spiral as everybody was trying to seal the rifts (even Bolas, one of the current major villains).

Recently, the Eldrazi in Zendikar aren't black, they're equally alien to all colors of magic, and Phyrexia might be mainly black but, as already pointed out, now has spread over all colors.
 I think white would make sense for Liliana as a secondary color, but it would make even more sense just to keep her mono-black.  She always struck me that way.  But who knows?  As already said creative can do pretty much whatever they want.

I was excited for a white black Liliana for life gain decks, but sadly this picture seems to confirm she will be staying black. To the bottom there is the newer version of her representing a pure black deck. It she was black white, the deck would either have to be black white as well to keep the pattern, or it would have been the old picture instead.

Black Lilliana
www.gamespot.com/ps3/puzzle/magic-the-ga...
Sign In to post comments