The effcts of magic on illusory creatures

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
  My player's character can create an illusion of herself. She will be traveling to the Underdark eventually, and I was wondering if her illusory self could be limned in faerie fire. And if so, would the caster be aware of the ruse?

Any advice is appreciated,Thanks
Which edition? And if 3.5, what spell is she using?
-m4ki; one down, one to go

"Retro is not new. Retro-fit is not new." --Seeker95, on why I won't be playing DDN

|| DDN Metrics (0-10) | enthusiasm: 1 | confidence in design: -3 | desire to play: 0 | Sticking with 4e?: Yep. | Better Options: IKRPG Mk II ||
The Five Things D&D Next Absolutely Must Not Do:
1. Imbalanced gameplay. Any and all characters must be able to contribute equally both in combat and out of combat at all levels of play. If the Fighters are linear and the Wizards quadratic, I walk. 2. Hardcore simulationist approach. D&D is a game about heroic fantasy. I'm weak and useless enough in real life; I play RPGs for a change of pace. If the only reason a rule exists is because "that's how it's supposed to be", I walk. I don't want a game that "simulates" real life, I want a game that simulates heroic fantasy. 3. Worshipping at false idols (AKA Sacred Cows). If the only reason a rule exists is "it's always been that way", I walk. Now to be clear, I have no problem with some things not changing; my issue is with retaining bad idea simply for the sake of nostalgia. 4. DM vs. players. If the game encourages "gotcha!" moments or treats the DM and players as enemies, adversaries, or problems to be overcome, I walk. 5. Rules for the sake of rules. The only thing I want rules for is the things I can't do sitting around a table with my friends. If the rules try to step on my ability to roleplay the character I want to roleplay, I walk. Furthermore, the rules serve to facilitate gameplay, not to simulate the world. NOTE: Items in red have been violated.
Chris Perkins' DM Survival Tips:
1. When in doubt, wing it. 2. Keep the story moving. Go with the flow. 3. Sometimes things make the best characters. 4. Always give players lots of things to do. 5. Wherever possible, say ‘yes.’ 6. Cheating is largely unnecessary. 7. Don't be afraid to give the characters a fun new toy. 8. Don't get in the way of a good players exchange. 9. Avoid talking too much. 10. Save some details for later. 11. Be transparent. 12. Don't show all your cards. Words to live by.
Quotes From People Smarter Than Me:
"Essentials zigged, when I wanted to continue zagging..." -Foxface on Essentials "Servicing a diverse fan base with an RPG ruleset - far from being the mandate for 'open design space' and a cavalier attitude towards balance - requires creating a system that /works/, with minimal fuss, for a wide variety of play styles, not just from one group to the next, but at the same table." -Tony_Vargas on design "Mearls' and Cook's stated intent to produce an edition that fans of all previous editions (and Pathfinder) will like more than their current favourite edition is laudable. But it is also, IMO, completely unrealistic. It's like people who pray for world peace: I might share their overall aims, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to succeed. When they talk in vague terms about what they'd like to do in this new edition, I mostly find myself thinking 'hey, that sounds cool, assuming they can pull it off', but almost every time they've said something specific about actual mechanics, I've found myself wincing and shaking my head in disbelief and/or disgust, either straight away or after thinking about the obvious implications for half a minute." -Duskweaver on D&D Next
  we're playing 4e. She has a magic shield that creates the illusion. It's a daily power.

She has a scimitar that was masterworked by a dwarf weaponsmith.Unknown to her,the sword begins to glow with each hit against a drow enemy.

She bought eladrin armor while in the barony of Harkenwold. The shield completes the set.

She's  her an eladrin paladin, follower of Sehanine. She raised an altar to her goddess( I had her roll,just to see how well she did-20) so the shield is a gift .

The illusion looks,sounds,smells like the real thing. It can perform one move and one standard action. Mostly a distraction to allow her(the real her) to get into a better position or to draw her foes within range of various attacks.
What's the shield called?  That way we can look up its rules text; the power itself may tell you what to do.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
The shield is a homebrew magic item.It's the illusion itself that's the question.

If it looks,sounds,smells,seems real, does the faerie fire spell work on it like a real person?

It's just the two of us. I'm running an NPC alongside for the next handful of sessions. They eventually encounter a small party of drow.

Will the party fall for the trick?Will it confuse them if the faerie fire spell doesn't outline the illusion or will they figure it out?

For now, the illusion is a daily power. As she levels up, it becomes an encounter power. It an extra helper for her.

We've been playing for 6+ years now. It's hard trying to find a group that takes new players. So, it's just we two. We find ways to make this work. I give her some things to buff up her character. So far so good.
The shield is a homebrew magic item.It's the illusion itself that's the question.

If it looks,sounds,smells,seems real, does the faerie fire spell work on it like a real person?

It's just the two of us. I'm running an NPC alongside for the next handful of sessions. They eventually encounter a small party of drow.

Will the party fall for the trick?Will it confuse them if the faerie fire spell doesn't outline the illusion or will they figure it out?

For now, the illusion is a daily power. As she levels up, it becomes an encounter power. It an extra helper for her.

We've been playing for 6+ years now. It's hard trying to find a group that takes new players. So, it's just we two. We find ways to make this work. I give her some things to buff up her character. So far so good.

There are no rules inherent to the Illusion keyword; each power states how it interacts with creatures and other powers.  However, this is the rules text for Spectral Image, a wizard utility that seems to do much the same thing as your shield:

Spectral Image

You make a complex illusion of a creature or an object to fool your enemies.

Encounter        Arcane, Illusion
Minor Action      Ranged 10

Effect: The illusion of a creature or an object up to Medium size appears in an unoccupied square within range. It can make sounds and can move within its square, but it cannot leave it. Each of its defenses is 10. The illusion lasts until the end of the encounter, until an attack hits it, or until a creature touches it or moves through it.
    An Insight check (DC 15 + one-half your level + your Intelligence modifier) allows a creature to determine that the image is an illusion.

You might want to just swipe that and tweak it.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I'd say that if the illusionary copy truly is a mere illusion, such as the result of a wizard's Prestidigitation, then it cannot be harmed or affected in any way then the spell would have no effect at all since there's nothing actually there to "hit," sort of like a holographic image. I don't see why a particularly clever paladin of Sehanine can't manipulate the illusion to appear to be affected by the spell (perhaps a Bluff check or Arcana in place of Bluff verses passive Insight) and thus cause the caster to believe the illusion is indeed real, though.

On the other hand, if the illusion is closer to a conjuration, or even something subject to manipulation  ala the Spectral Image spell mentioned by Salla, then the spell would indeed hit and affect the illusion. If you're going down the route of Spectral Image, the illusion would immediately end since it would be hit by an attack. However, if you're looking for something with a bit more "staying power" on the battlefield then perhaps you can treat the illusion as a conjuration, perhaps along the lines of a shaman's spirit companion, which would give it "substance" and allow it to be affected and perhaps continue staying in the battle until the shield's magic effect ends or whatever trigger you decide to use occurs. This would be like something from the holodeck of Star Trek.
  I'd say I have to go Spectal Image. Faerie fire would just mark the target giving the drow attackers a common foe. But,after the first shot, the jig is up.They may believe she turned invisible.The drow mentality is that everyone is as devious as they are.Knowing this,she might use it to her advantage.

She'll encounter enemies later where this won't be a problem. I've been preaching to her about how it's 'every Eladrin's duty to slay at least one drow within their lifetime'. As a paladin evenmore so for her. So, this trip to the Underdark is a chance for her to get her feet wet. It's a relatively small encounter and she'll have a dwarven fighter NPC alongside.

I'm just trying to work out the kinks and have some hard and fast rules regarding the illusion and how it's affected before she gets there.We have a handful of sessions to play through first. Thank goodness Gnolls aren't as smart.

Anyway, thanks for the help. We decided to call her shield Sehanine's Mirror. She's pretty excited to use it and I can't wait. I'll keep you posted.
  I'd say I have to go Spectal Image. Faerie fire would just mark the target giving the drow attackers a common foe. But,after the first shot, the jig is up.They may believe she turned invisible.The drow mentality is that everyone is as devious as they are.Knowing this,she might use it to her advantage.

She'll encounter enemies later where this won't be a problem. I've been preaching to her about how it's 'every Eladrin's duty to slay at least one drow within their lifetime'. As a paladin evenmore so for her. So, this trip to the Underdark is a chance for her to get her feet wet. It's a relatively small encounter and she'll have a dwarven fighter NPC alongside.

I'm just trying to work out the kinks and have some hard and fast rules regarding the illusion and how it's affected before she gets there.We have a handful of sessions to play through first. Thank goodness Gnolls aren't as smart.

Anyway, thanks for the help. We decided to call her shield Sehanine's Mirror. She's pretty excited to use it and I can't wait. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, so you were making the item up.

That's important to tell people

Salla, on minions: I typically use them as encounter filler. 'I didn't quite fill out the XP budget, not enough room left for a decent near-level monster ... sprinkle in a few minions'. Kind of like monster styrofoam packing peanuts.